Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2749240 06/30/17 03:16 PM
T
OP Offline
T
I wanted to start a new thread even though I said the previous one was going to be my last. And the one before that...and the one before that...

Unfortunately, I can't remember how to link them but it is titled "About Last Night.".

Can someone help me out with the link?

I haven't really posted much lately because there really isn't anything new as far as the "sitch" goes. I've seen so many come and go in the 6+ years I've been coming to this board. So many of the "old-timers" or "vets" just seem to fade away. I guess that is a good thing though because it means that they are moving on. I assume that is what is happening to me as well. I'm fading away or so it seems.

I can't remember the last time I saw or spoke to XW. That is a good thing.

The lady friend has been keeping me busy with trips to the zoo and to our local aquarium. Tomorrow, she is making some Turkey Tacos and we are going to spend a quiet day at her place and maybe go for a swim. Still, just friends for now, but that is ok. I don't want to jinx anything, but I sometimes get the feeling that she is starting to have feelings for me. I may be wrong. I guess time will tell.

Now the real reason for the update:

I almost died.

Around the first week of May, I had a few really minor chest pains. I shrugged them off as indigestion because they were minor and they went away after a minute or two. I had them every day for about a week and then, they went away for a few weeks...completely gone.

On Saturday night, June 10th, I had a pretty bad one while lying in bed watching tv. It scared me a little bit, but because I'm an idiot, I just remained still and "hoped" that it would go away. (Stupid, I know.) Finally after about 15-20 minutes, it went away as quickly as it came.

On Sunday afternoon before heading to work, (I work 2:00-Midnight) I had a little one that was comparable to the little ones that I had weeks earlier. It went away after about a minute. I then had another one just like it while driving to work. Around 4:30, while sitting at my work station, I had a doozy. It was very mild at first, but increased in intensity. Within just a few minutes, it felt like someone was making a fist around my heart and squeezing as hard as they could. It was a pain unlike anything I had felt before and a pain I'll never forget. I had pretty bad jaw pain and broke out into a cold sweat. Still, not wanting to admit it was a heart attack, I decided to wait it out but....it wasn't going away. It was just like the one I had the night before but only much worse. I was starting to squirm in my chair because I couldn't get comfortable and the pain wouldn't go away. Finally, I said something to my coworker and he convinced me to talk to one of our security guards who is also an EMT. He took my blood pressure which was (I hate to say) 210/146. He called an ambulance and I was taken right to the emergency room. I had two doses of Nitroglycerin before we even left my work parking lot.

It turns out that I DID have a heart attack with a 95% blockage in the artery that doctors refer to as the widow maker. frown It is the artery that feeds the front of the heart and the left side. It is "THE ARTERY." I ended up needing a stent and it was inserted the next day. I was also diagnosed with Diabetes and have to poke my finger several times throughout the day and give myself a shot depending on my sugar levels. At the time of my heart attack, my levels were over 500. Normal is 70-120 I believe. So, needless to say, I'l be changing my life style and the way I eat. I haven't touched a cigarette and have been doing little walks. I was finally cleared for cardiac rehab and will be starting that next week.

Luckily, lady friend is a health nut and she has promised to help me with my food choices. She has already been a big help.

My son told me the other day that one of my other sons has told the XW everything about my heart attack. She knows it all. I really wish that she didn't because it is none of her business.

I have some things to be thankful for. I'm thankful that I was at work when this happened. If I had been home, I would have probably did what I did the night before and hoped that it went away. I most likely would have died. According to my doctor, many people do die from what I had. Years ago, I had a radio buddy that got up in the middle of the night to get a drink of water. He never made it out of his bedroom. He died right there as soon as he got out of bed. I'm also thankful that they didn't have to do a bypass like they did my dad. He has three stents and had a quadruple bypass when he was 54. I'm only 49. I'm thankful for the security guard at my work that just happened to be working that day and just happened to be the only one with EMT training. I'm also thankful for the EMTs that helped me and for lady friend. I'm thankful that I'm going to get another chance.

I was lucky.

Moral of the story:

If you have pain or just feel "off", regardless of how minor you think it might be, don't hesitate to call. If I had been home alone, there is a very good chance that I wouldn't have made it to tell this story.

Tad
(Just happy to be here.)

Currently:
M 56 XW 57
Sons 38,33,31,29

The Sitch:
Married 26 years
EA w/ OM 9/10
Bomb 10/10 (5 weeks after 25th anniversary)
Sep 12/10
She wants D 1/11
W files 5/11
D final 10/11
XW marries OM 6/13
K
kml Offline
K
Yikes! Tad, so glad you're here.
Your diabetes may be reason enough to explain your heart disease, But given the early heart disease in your family, make sure to get checked for some other factors besides high cholesterol which can cause heart disease:
- hemochromatosis. This genetic condition causes the body to accumulate too much iron. The iron accumulates in the heart - where it causes heart disease - and in the pancreas - where it causes diabetes. The treatment is regular blood donations to reduce the iron levels.
- hypothyroidism
- high homocysteine levels (often due to a gene defect affecting B vitamins called MTHFR. )

kml #2749242 06/30/17 07:26 PM
S
S
Oh my goodness Tad, I am sorry to read this and I am glad to know that you are doing okay. It is good advice not to ignore pain and discomfort and my Dad went through a similar experience with angina attacks - all controlled my meds, but he had a couple of episodes which could have been dangerous.

Sounds like you are taking on board the lifestyle advice and I'm sure you'll feel better for that. I'm glad to read about your continuing friendship with your lady friend....sounds like she may have you drinking the wheatgrass smoothies any time soon grin

Take care Tad and enjoy what life has to offer xx

T 13 M 7
Me 48 H 46
SS 15
BD 7.14 PA
D final 5.16 (H filed)

We receive & we lose, and must try to achieve gratitude & embrace with whole hearts whatever of life that remains after the losses - Dubus
Sotto #2749256 07/01/17 01:33 AM
job Offline
Tad's previous thread:

About Last Night

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
job #2749257 07/01/17 01:35 AM
job Offline
Tad,

I'm glad you popped in to provide us with an update. As you know, I've been keeping up with your progress on FB and I'm glad you are sharing your health crisis with us. Please take care of yourself and know that I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Follow your doctor's orders to the letter and watch your food and drink intake because of your sugar issue.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
job #2749307 07/01/17 01:42 PM
H
H
Thank goodness you are alright. Take care of yourself.

Me 41, H 47, M 15 yrs, S11, S13
BD 1: 11/4/14 we work on it; really I pretzel myself
BD 2: 3/31/15 H goes down to "dorm room"
8/15: H back to MBR
10/15: H back in dorm room
1/18: H files, now divorced
HaWho #2749333 07/02/17 02:28 AM
E
E
If there is one thing we learned years ago, it is how unpredictable life can be..

I am sorry you had to go through this but also very happy that you are still amoung us.. your energy level will not be the same as you were used to. Do not push yourself and be patient. It is ok to slow down for as long as it takes.

Your lady friend cares a great deal about you. I can tell. I also know she will help you the best she can. Please, let her know how much you appreciate her and all the things she does for you. she deserves recognition!

And if i did not know your story, i would see the 2 as a couple.. smile

In my situation, on this day, relationship is no longer about building a family and future.. it is respectful, quality time with friends. Intimatie is no longer a need in my life. This might change in the future but like you, i am happy with my life as is.. smile

Take good care of yourself Tad! See you on fb. smile

B
B
Tad, I am so glad you made it! Please, do NOT ignore any future warning signs! You've come too far to cash in your chips now. Think of all the creatures you have yet to photograph!

From what my MIL said about her heart attack and stents, it takes longer than one thinks it will to get one's stamina back, but keep at it and you will recover just fine.

Take good care and sending healing thoughts xoxoxoxo

M 20+ T25+
S ~15.5 (BD)
BD 4/6/15
D 12/23/16

"Someone I loved once gave me
A box full of darkness.
It took me years to understand,
That this too, was a gift."
~ Mary Oliver
bttrfly #2750255 07/09/17 07:57 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks everyone. I don't have much time to write before heading to work. I just wanted to get on here and reply and say thanks for the responses.

KML- you mentioned hypothyroidism. My dad has actually had that for years. (atleast I think that is what it is.) He's been on meds for it for years.

Sotto - Yes. The lady friend has been giving me good advice!

Job & Hawho - Thank you. Job, glad you enjoy my FB posts.

Exquisite - I do let lady friend know that I appreciate her. As for "relationships"....I feel the same way.

bttrfly - Thank you. Yes, I do have lots of pictures to take! Just wish it would cool down so I can get out there. 118 a few days ago. Too hot for me!

Anyways, that's all for now. Just watching my diet and working. Oh and I started cardiac rehab this week. That's not much fun. smile

Tad

Currently:
M 56 XW 57
Sons 38,33,31,29

The Sitch:
Married 26 years
EA w/ OM 9/10
Sep 12/10
She wants D 1/11
W files 5/11
D final 10/11
XW marries OM 6/13
T
OP Offline
T
Just checking in.

I saw this on another thread and am going to do it. KML posted:

"Make a list of every crazy thing you ever thought you might like to be or do. No matter how wild. You'll be surprised how many of them may come true."

Thanks KML!

smile

I'm going to pursue my photography once it cools off and I get my medical issues squared away. I get so much joy out of being out and photographing animals. Mostly birds.

My goal for next summer is to have enough money saved for a trip to Alaska. If I can't afford that, then maybe a trip to Tennessee to see the Bald Eagles at Dollywood. One way or another, I need to start living.

Tad

Currently:
M 56 XW 57
Sons 38,33,31,29

The Sitch:
Married 26 years
EA w/ OM 9/10
Sep 12/10
She wants D 1/11
W files 5/11
D final 10/11
XW marries OM 6/13

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard