Some basics...
Me: 33
Her: 39
T: 10
M: 8
K: D15; S4
Bomb: 10/23/08
Separated: 10/30/08

My wife and I both seem to have some pretty reactive tendencies in the emotion department. We experienced a highly conflictual separation involving the courts and did not talk to each other for the first 4 weeks other than the most rudimentary communications about the children. Over the last two weeks, our anger seems to have faded somewhat and it seems we have both have realized that some coals are still smoldering in the ashes of our first marriage. I have tried to change things up by trying to facilitate her establishing her own household and assist her when she needs my help. It has been very hard to resist the temptation to do things for her that she can do for herself... I am trying to limit myself to only doing things that she actually asks me to help her with.

In terms of progress, she has started individual counseling and is (finally) starting a medication for depression. I have an appointment to see a counselor in January, and I have already had a couple of spiritual counseling appointments with my rabbi as well. I am trying to keep an optimistic outlook without getting too attached to any outcomes or goals, although I have come to realize that I do believe my marriage is worth saving or, rather, I believe I love W enough to be willing to make a new marriage with her. For awhile we were stalled in the "Who's going to make the first move?" stalemate, and that is where DB really helped me... so far, my optimism and positive steps have seemed to stimulate responses in kind from her, and I feel we are reinforcing each other's willingness to see this through. That being said, it has only been a short time so far and we have only just started to identify our core conflicts. We have both expressed a desire to do marital therapy, but I don't think we're quite ready for that yet. I am just really glad we're talking again. I am working on forgiveness, of myself for the mistakes I made in our first marriage and of my wife for her mistakes as well. Is it really possible to just start fresh? We had dinner together last night and spent most of our time talking about the dramatic events surrounding our separation, however I was able to redirect the conversation in a future-oriented direction a couple of times.

She has accepted my invitation to come over tonight to light Hanukkah candles with me and the kids... I am really excited and happy about this! I am starting to see the many blessings from G-d that I have taken for granted, and regardless of the eventual outcome with my wife, I am grateful for this experience for opening my eyes and helping me reconnect with my religion.

Me: 33 Her: 39
M: 8 T: 10
K: D15, S4
Separated 10/30/08.
My current thread
C
OP Offline
C
Well, she changed her mind about Hanukkah, said it was too soon for her to be back in our house like that. Even though I was bummed, I tried not to let her see that. I just said, "If the time's not right, it's not right. Have a great evening!" and left it at that. She did let D15 stay later than originally planned though, so that we could watch "The Dark Knight." What a kick@$$ flick!

Separated 10/30/08.
My current thread
H
H
SBT -
Sorry that you're here - but you seem to be doing so well already - and also seem to be on the right track...just the fact that your W is willing to work on your M with you - and on herself - puts you in a position that many of us could only hope for, so I'm glad that you're not taking any of the changes you've seen for granted.

Post in other threads - get around and introduce yourself...one of the best ways to learn from this site is to step into other people's threads - even just to offer some quick encouragement or compassion.

Kudos on your response to her change of mind with Hanukkah...at least you got time with D15...that's always precious.

-Carlos.

Me:39
S3,S13

"We consent to live like sheep." W.H. Auden

On my own
Separation #4
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the support. My situation is a little weird, in that neither one of us was willing to take the first step toward being separated, but we both needed some sort of break from our previous relationship. That's why our initial separation was so explosive... things just kept escalating and neither one of us would back down. So she is not exactly the classic "walk-away wife," but I feel like she really had given up on our marriage and, in a way, so had I.

She expressed verbal willingness to work on our marriage in counseling, which is a good thing. Historically I believe I have been the higher-desire partner when it comes to "fixing the marriage," though, so I am concerned that this is just lip service. Nonetheless, I am choosing to take her at her word. At the same time, I feel like I have always been the "pursuer" in our relationship and so I am calling on all the reserves of willpower I can find to limit the amount of contact I initiate with her. Because of the particulars of our separation, I felt I had to make the first move in terms of re-opening the lines of communication. However, I believe I have made it clear to her now that I am interested in working toward reconciliation, so I really feel like I have to leave that ball in her court. I have found several decent candidates for therapists... all she has to do is say the word and I will make an appointment. On the one hand, I don't want to get trapped in the "Who's going to make a move first?" dynamic, but on the other hand I don't want to fall back into my old pattern of supplying all the energy for our relationship as a couple. One of the things that made me so angry in the first place was my perception that she liked the financial security and support I provided a lot more than she liked me. Now I realize that there is some of my own low self-esteem built into that, and that my behavior contributed to that pattern as well. That's why my goal for today is to not call her... I want to step out of my rigid fixed role.

Areas where I am the high-desire partner:
1) Fun (dates, etc)
2) Sex
3) Conversation
4) Affection

Areas where she is the high-desire partner:
1) Financial responsibility/budgeting
2) Care of our home

I would say parenting is the only thing that we both seem to want to do, although we often disagree about how to parent and this generates more conflict.

Upon writing that down, I feel a little bit hopeless: it kind of makes me feel like an interchangeable part, some sort of combination repairman/ATM. However, I can also see that from her perspective she probably feels like the only adult in the relationship, like I am more interested in being a lover/boyfriend than being a husband and making a family with her. We seem to have fallen into VERY rigid roles with regard to these issues.

That's why I am trying to use some of what I have learned in DB to change these dynamics. I am taking (having to take, now that we are separated) a much greater interest in the bills and the house. I am trying to summon up as much willpower as I can to change my approach to the things I am "high-desire" on: I can't complain that she never initiates any of those things if I am always there "firstest with the mostest." I have come to realize that I feel rejected pretty easily, and that when my wife "ignores" me that I tend to become very self-denigrating in my own head. Certainly it reinforces some negative opinions I have about my own attractiveness. However, I am optimistic that I can overcome that negative self-talk and start to have more respect for myself. Exercising and losing weight have helped a lot in that regard.

Anyway, my goal for today is to not call or text my wife. We'll see if I can do it!

Separated 10/30/08.
My current thread
C
OP Offline
C
Interestingly, wife called and left an affectionate message on my voicemail yesterday afternoon. So funny, because I was feeling really pessimistic. I guess I need to keep working on being optimistic... not worrying so much. The only way I have been able to do that so far is just to ask myself, what would an optimistic person do in this situation? How would they feel? Michelle's simple equation "Crisis=Opportunity" helps as well.

Otherwise, I am working on making myself happy. Last night I made myself dinner (OK, slight exaggeration there, I heated up a couple veggie burgers and had them on bread with some tahini dressing and a beer; but I did spend some time online finding things to cook for the next time the kids are at my place), took care of some bills, did some laundry, put some new music on my mp3 player, called my kids and said goodnight to them (they were way too busy playing with the cousins at G'ma's house to want to talk to me, which is fine... I am glad they were having a good time!), played Xbox for a little while (doesn't hold my attention like it used to), and then practiced the piano until I was too tired to stay awake. I can almost play a two-handed version of "Jingle Bells" now, but the last couple measures keep tripping me up. I bet I'll get it today, though. Yesterday afternoon I ran two miles as well... I have found that exercise is the key to fighting depression (for me, anyway). So, all in all, a fairly full and rewarding day. I went to bed feeling pleasantly tired, instead of all depressed and anxious.

Today I am going over to a friend's Christmas gathering to get some people time in and enjoy the holiday. One thing for which I am thankful to my wife is helping me get over my defensive attitude (I'm Jewish) toward the Christian holidays. I actually enjoy Christmas now that I don't feel so threatened by it. I think I'll tell her that the next time she calls (yep, the next time SHE calls... I'm sticking with my 180 on the pursuit thing).

Everyone patient enough to read this, please have a blessed day and a Merry Christmas! Peace on Earth, World Without End, Amen!

Separated 10/30/08.
My current thread
C
OP Offline
C
Working on validating myself today. I have lots to do... paperwork to catch up on at work, housecleaning, trip to the gym, preliminary run-through on the taxes to make sure I don't miss any deduction opportunities before year-end, and then a relaxing evening with the new piano (I must master Jingle Bells before kids get home this weekend... nah, not really, I just want to; I won't be too hard on myself if I don't).

BUMP!

Separated 10/30/08.
My current thread
C
OP Offline
C
I de-bumped myself by posting on other threads, so I am bumping myself again.

BUMP!

Separated 10/30/08.
My current thread
H
H
That's wonderful that she left an affectionate message - perhaps it means that what you were doing is working - and she is already seeing some of the positive changed in you?

Keep up that optimism - and the piano lessons sound brilliant...I've been meaning to do something of the same - thought it got a bit complicated in that my W took the piano when she moved out...I've been thinking of replacing it ever since (though I don't play...my older son does, though).

Keep posting on other threads - keep talking and letting people know what you're going through. It takes time to build you a presence here - but it is so well worth it once people get to know your situation and can help point out where you started and how far they've seen you go.

Happy holidays.
Best,
Carlos.

Me:39
S3,S13

"We consent to live like sheep." W.H. Auden

On my own
Separation #4
C
OP Offline
C
Thanks for taking the time to read my long posts, HD. W and I had a pretty serious conversation last night about why we're at where we're at. Because of some of the peculiarities of our separation, I was not sure it was really a WAS situation, but now it seems clear to me that there is a lot of that going on. The thing that has been a real blow to me has been realizing the validity of a lot of her reasons for walking away. I am trying to stay positive and not wallow in guilt. I have identified as my goals the following: patience, love, hope, faith, charity. In practical terms, I feel like my wife is telling me pretty clearly that what she needs now is time and space to make up her mind about us, and to work on some of the issues that she has brought into our marriage. I know I also need time and space, but I am scared that with that much time and space, one or the other or both of us will choose to end this marriage. I know in my head that if that is the case, then that is actually what is best... I just feel very scared and anxious in my heart about that possibility. I guess it's normal to feel that way, it's just that I am kind of an anxious person to begin with and it is pretty challenging for me to deal with that level of uncertainty and anxiety. Still, it is a challenge I am willing to accept. I see no other way. On the positive side, it is clear that we still love each other. There are a lot of hurt feelings and broken trust to overcome, though.

Practical, short-term goal for today: give her space. Do not call her. I will try to post again tonight to see if I meet that goal.

Practical, short-term goal for today: identify negative, pessimistic thought patterns and try to find a way to turn them around. I will try to report on that goal tonight as well.

I am trying to believe that God will help me find my way through this mess, and that wherever I am going is where I need to be. I am a decent person who has made some mistakes. I think the same could be said for W. I love her. I will be patient.

Separated 10/30/08.
My current thread
I
I
Hi CL,

I hear a lot of the way that my sitch has been in you and your situation. Thank you for posting to me recently, and I'm sorry it's taken so long to post to you. I am trying to spend a bit less of my time on the boards these days, as I think it helps me to take a mental break from it all.

I am still not "there." H has still not recommitted, and is still relatively negative every time something about us comes up. However, we are living together again, and this is amazing. I say this to you because I was where you were. There were a few things that I heard along the way, that I did not believe (and still struggle with), but should have taken to heart. One of these is "believe none of what they say." Regardless of whether your wife is a "typical" WAS or not, and regardless of who contributed more to the problems that led to the M breakdown, she is likely going to be coming to discussions about the M from a very negative and pessimistic place. She clearly felt like she could not address the issues with you while together, so her first instinct is probably that things are better without you. I was out of my house for 3 months, and terrified that my H would decide with all that time apart that he liked life better without me. We had a few horrid conversations after I got back about him wanting a D, about there being no hope for us etc. However, I did not give up, and have not given up even when it seemed like there was no hope. I say this to you because you mentioned that with time and space apart, one of you may decide that you want the M to end. Certainly you yourself can come to any decision that you feel is best for you, but another saying that I have heard on the board several times is "it's not over until you say it's over." There is a very good chance that your wife will say she wants to end things, that she can't go back to what she came from etc. I don't say this to frighten you, but because it is something that most of us seem to hear in one guise or another at some point along the way. What I can suggest is that you use every opportunity possible to show her that things are different, and that she would not be coming back to the same marriage. You want to plant the seed of doubt about whether she is making the right decisions. It sounds like you are already doing this, but I've found it very helpful to think of specific complaints my H had (ones I thought were valid) and start addressing them. It is much harder when you are not together, but as you have children, there is a need for regular contact, so this gives you plenty of chances to show off your changes. In my own case I wasn't even in the same country, so it was really hard, but through a few well-placed emails and IMs, I tried to show that I was making changes.

Have you heard about the 4 stages? Knowing about them helped me to cope a bit. In case you haven't...

Stage 1-reduce negativity and increase positive emotions
Stage 2-friendship
Stage 3-romance
Stage 4-reconciliation

I jumped the gun a number of times, thinking I was in stage 2-3 because there was ML and constant contact. In retrospect though, if there are enough problems to cause a separation, there is going to be a pretty substantial period of time spent in stage 1. It's my guess that most divorces happen in stage 1, as it's the period that feels pretty hopeless. This is the time that you have to listen to everything the WAS says, fair or unfair, and validate. From what I've seen on the boards, this is the most difficult time to get through, and the hardest to overcome. Once you get past it, the other stages are a bit more fluid. I think it helps to know that you're in stage 1, as goals and expectations can be set accordingly. I had goals as simple as that my H would say "hi" or "how are you" when initiating contact. Speaking of goals, have you set some goals around your W and what baby steps would show you that things are moving in the right direction? Also, have you considered DB coaching?

Hope you are doing well today,

ITH

Me:34 H:36 M:5 years T: 8 years
Bomb: 07/17/08 I want to be separated for 6 months--I don't know what I want the outcome to be
S 07/28/08-11/08/08
Living together ~7 months D Possibly busted?!?!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard