Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Advice - 01/17/05 09:11 PM
Hi all! I am new to this site, but I was hoping that someone had some advice that would help me.

I am the WAW, but I recently purchased the Marriage Breakthrough Videos. I was hoping that I would get a sign of whether we can make it work and I can be happy with him or to just "throw in the towel". However, after viewing the tapes, I am still undecided and confused. I feel like the tapes gave me HOPE, but yet, I don't believe it.

Let me start by sharing some history and asking my question(s)....

Our Past:
1) We have been together 15 years. We dated the first six years and have been married 9 years now. We do not have any children (other than our 2 adorable dogs : )). I have left 5 times in that 15 years; so it seems that every couple of years or so, I tell him I am unhappy. It falls on deaf ears and I end up leaving. Once I leave (moving in with family), he becomes the wonderful person that I fell in-love with (writing cards, sending flowers, etc.). The problem is that once he is comfortable that I am staying.... it's back to the old habits and patterns. Every time I have come back to him; it's been because of his persistence, the fact that I feel sorry for him or he just talks me into coming back by saying what he knows I want to hear. Frankly, I am tired of the cycle.

2) My H was (yes, past tense) a compulsive spender; often spending without any regard for my well-being. I was the one doing without so that he could have "things" (material things). He would hide, lie and deny his spending habits whenever I would confront him. He could and would lie to my face. I asked/begged him to go to counseling a few years ago. At that time, I was told that it was like living with an alcoholic - he had the same abusive behaviors, but only "money" addiction vs. substance addiction. They suggested that he go see someone for those issues. He didn't. His reasoning - we couldn't afford it. Ironic, isn't it?

3) I was often overwhelmed in our marriage. He would spend and I would figure out how to pay the bills. At one point, I would use one credit card to pay the minimum balance on another and often worried that we were at our limit. I took care of the finances, the house, the yard, etc. Occassionally, he would help, but for the most part I was on my own.
Recently:
Almost 2 years ago, I again told him I was unhappy. Nothing happened. So, I started going to counseling by myself about 6 months before I moved out. The counselor suggested I write the requirements for my "considering" staying in the marriage (actions he must do for me to stay). The top on my list was for him to get help with his spending, specifically he had to see a counselor who was familiar w/ obsessive-compulsive spending and money addicitions. I also asked him to join a support group (like AA, but for money issues). He went to see a counselor after MUCH persistance, but was adamant that he was not going to a support group. As usual, I gave in on that one and did not make him go. I was upset that the only reason he was going to counseling was b/c I told him if he didn't I was leaving. My counselor told me to "get over it"; that it mattered not why he went as long as he was getting help. Second on the list was for him to help me around the house, in the yard, and with the monthly bills (yes, I did give him specifics...just left them out due to my wordiness). He did start helping more, but I did not recieve it well. I felt like it was a last ditch effort to get me to stay.

My question(s):
I moved out to my own apartment 7 months ago, and although I was initially scared and afraid to be on my own I find that I have become independent and that I am much happier. However, I miss the companionship and the friiendship. He is "suddenly" willing to make permanent changes. He tells me that he now understands what I have been asking for and he is willing to do whatever. He is saying what I need to hear, but I don't believe it in my heart, even though I can see changes in him I am at the point where I don't care anymore. I feel like there is too much history and emotional hurts between us. When we do spend time together (without arguing about my coming back), we have a good time, but for me there is no romance. I do not have any desire to start an intimate relationship with him. Although I am ashamed to admit this, I find myself attracted "physically" to other men.

Therefore, I want to know....
1) How do I know when it's time to "throw in the towel" forever?
2) Is our relationship repairable when right now I don't think I will ever fully recover from past hurts?
3) What does it say that I am attracted to other men? Is this a sign that I have moved on or am ready to move on?
4) What does it say that I am happier living alone and supporting myself?

Cheers,
Michelle
Posted By: StubbornDyke Re: Advice - 01/17/05 09:47 PM
Quote:

1) How do I know when it's time to "throw in the towel" forever?

Well, you sure started with the hard question. Nobody knows the answer to that one!

Quote:

2) Is our relationship repairable when right now I don't think I will ever fully recover from past hurts?

Anything is possible. Keep in mind that you may need to fully recover from those past hurts in order to have a good R with anyone in the future, whether H or someone else.

Quote:

3) What does it say that I am attracted to other men? Is this a sign that I have moved on or am ready to move on?

It's a sign that you have hormones just like everybody else. Hormones can be a lot of fun, but they're not very useful in helping with R-related decisions.

Quote:

4) What does it say that I am happier living alone and supporting myself?

I suspect it says a lot about how stressful it was to live with your H the way things were. I'm sure we can all agree that you'd be crazy to go back to the way things were. The challenge is to figure out how to make things better.

The fact that you're here and you purchased the Marriage Breakthrough videos indicates that you're hoping for that breakthrough. I haven't seen those videos, but I have read Divorce Remedy, which is the template for many of us here on the board. I'd encourage you to read that. I'm also curious to hear what got your attention in the videos and gave you hope (or at least something to relate to).
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/17/05 10:34 PM
Thanks for the quick reply. Hmmmmmmmmm to answer your question about what in the videos gave me hope. Well, first let me start out with the fact that I am a hopeless romantic and never really wanted to let the dream of "happily ever-after" die.

It was a lot of things, but the following had the most impact. Michele said people can change when the truly understand the need for chnage. One of the things H says is that he finally "understands" - he gets it. It was the list of "action-oriented" solutions and not focusing on the problem or the past. It was actually sitting down and thinking about what actions make me feel loved and communicating them. And then thinking about what makes H feel loved. It was understanding that most of our issues lie in communication or lack thereof. I learned that my dog can communicate w/ me better than my H. I mean when my dogs want affection, they nuzzle me or jump in my lap.

I got HOPE from the tapes, but then when I talked to H yesterday we fought and I was ready to throw in the towel, yet again. I find that the thing we fight most about is me coming home. He tells me that if I would just give him and us another chance, things will be different. I agree; they will be different, but for how long? At the end of the day, I am wondering what would really be different if we haven't really resolved the issues to begin with and how can I move home when I still hurt? Every little thing he does that is somewhat similar to the past hurts, just brings back all the pain. it's not fair to him - to keep him walking on eggshells. And it's rough emotionally on me. I feel like we are at a check-mate.

What is a reasonable amout of time to be separated? How long is too long?
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/17/05 11:07 PM
Michele,

Your sitch sounds similar to mine, just not with money. I have been emotionally abusive to my W for a long time, and did not realize it. I have been begging for another chance, but she cannot give it, maybe because she cannot trust it, and also maybe because she has hurt to get over. I moved out 2 days ago. I am in couseling. Never done that before. I am trying to show her the changes, but it is hard from afar. Although I desperately want another chance because I now understand what I was doing, and know I can be a better H, and love my W dearly, I know it is going to take time. It kills me to think that.

W and I are going on a date this Saturday. It is either going to be lunch and a movie, or dinner, movie and dancing (my idea). I am not going to push it, so it will probably be lunch and a movie. It is a baby step, but it gives us a chance to have fun together, and build some new good times (I hope). Maybe you and your H could start dating a little and spend some time together. Watch for his changes, and maybe over time you can start to trust the changes, and maybe not, that is up to the 2 of you. I am praying for good things for you and him.
Posted By: StubbornDyke Re: Advice - 01/18/05 01:25 AM
If your H is so eager to work things out, is he willing to do what you ask? How about asking him to read DR? (That's a no-no when the shoe is on the other foot, but your H seems ripe for a little learning.) I think it would be very valuable for both of you, but it's particularly halpful in getting the pursuer to back off and give the WAW some space.

The basics you'll find in there are about listening and validating. No R talk when you're in an unhappy R spot. Learning the art of loving detachment. How to pay attention. How to ask for what you want.

If you read DR, I think you'll be able to have better interactions with H. If he reads it, he may quit driving you crazy and you'll definitely have better interactions.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/18/05 05:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I think H does need to stop the R talk. I tell him that he pushes too hard for me to come back and it's really having the opposite effect. In the past, I have always returned to him once I started healing. I am not sure I ever really fully healed. I can't handle seeing him upset and hurting b/c of me! I am not sure I have ever really come back b/c it was what I wanted.

Now, I find that he has started this other thing. H breaks down and starts crying and carrying on to the point that most of the time I can't understand what he is saying and I am wondering why he is crying. Most of the time, when he starts this, he is re-acting to some comment I made about maybe we weren't meant to be together or that I am tired of trying so hard, etc.

It kills me to see and/or hear him crying - thus, I soften and weaken, which gives him hope. H continues the crying until I agree that there is a SLIGHT possibility we could work it out. The bad part is I am only telling him that to ease his pain and make him feel better. In my heart, I really think we are not right for each other. How should I deal w/ his "crying" behavior?

H was extremely rude to me when we met. Right from the beginning I thought he was an ass. Maybe I should have stuck with that first impression! There was never really any mutual attraction - instead H grew on me. It was his persistance of me that I finally went out with him. I finally said, "If I go out w/ you will you stop asking me out?". We went on a double date and had fun together. But that is how our entire relationship has been...he keeps asking, I say NO!, he keeps asking and finally I give in. And yes, I do feel like "I give in" and he wins; I lose.

We still have fun together when we go out provided we don't talk about our R (or any R for that matter). I feel we should be great friends, but not lovers. I have no desire to be with him intimately. If it weren't for being a collegestudent w/ raging hormones we may have never gotten together physically.
Posted By: Phoenixdeux Re: Advice - 01/18/05 07:45 PM
Michelle21,

I'm not sure your answers are very straightforward. Maybe in some sense you are the WAW, but you don't sound like you've completely given up on the marriage since you bought the tapes, etc and are asking for advice about your marriage. At least in that respect there is hope. You also seem to at least feel something for him still. You haven't erased all the good times and you still sympathize when he's crying/hurting. You also seem to have gotten on with your life. I don't think finding other men physically attractive is a sign that you've given up on your marriage. Only that you're human.

I agree with previous advice, your husband maybe needs to read DB. He's being very pushy and needy, which surprisingly has elicited sympathy from you rather than disgust as a typical WAW would show. I think he will need to put his money where his mouth is. I'm sure he knows what his problems are...his spending addiction, etc...and needs to work on him before he can genuinely work on the marriage to its fullest extent. If you come back to him without him actually proving he learned something from this I'm not sure how your marriage can be okay. Since your still willing to talk to him maybe you should explain that you need to see that he's changed before you can commit to resuming the relationship. Maybe the only encouragements you give him should be if you really approve of a change you see in him that's positive.

As for your question of can you ever trust and love him the way you did again, I think you can. If he's really changed the things that drove you away in the first place. It'll probably take time to feel the changes are permanent enough to feel safe in the R again. I wouldn't give up hope on it. I think if he's truly seen the light he should have sufficient motivation to change and keep it that way.

As you
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/18/05 08:57 PM
Michelle -
thanks for posting here. hope you are finding it helpful. There are many of us on the other side of the coin who can probably learn a lot from you - and hopefully you from us. Of course, it probably wouldn't hurt if your H came here too. Sounds like he could use a DB primer.

I have a question for you on one of your comments:
Quote:

H was extremely rude to me when we met. Right from the beginning I thought he was an ass. Maybe I should have stuck with that first impression! There was never really any mutual attraction - instead H grew on me. It was his persistance of me that I finally went out with him. I finally said, "If I go out w/ you will you stop asking me out?". We went on a double date and had fun together. But that is how our entire relationship has been...he keeps asking, I say NO!, he keeps asking and finally I give in. And yes, I do feel like "I give in" and he wins; I lose.

We still have fun together when we go out provided we don't talk about our R (or any R for that matter). I feel we should be great friends, but not lovers. I have no desire to be with him intimately. If it weren't for being a collegestudent w/ raging hormones we may have never gotten together physically.

Did you always feel this way, or is this something you have decided recently as your R has gotten works and you have felt the need to move on? I ask this because I think when people are sad or depressed about something they tend to look interpret everything in a very negative fashion and lose sight of all that is good. Do you think there is some of this in your comments?

D
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/18/05 09:40 PM
Gene_in_AR,

Thank you for your response. It is always nice to hear the male perspective.

H and I have tried dating, but he doesn't get it. Usually at the end of the date, but sometimes throughout the date, he tells me how much he wants me home, how he misses me, he loves me, etc. All are nice things to hear...unless you can't trust what he says and you are looking for actions; not words Therefore, I suggest to you that you go out and have fun w/ W. Enjoy each other, but do NOT talk about your R. I believe that will come with time...once she sees and believes the changes are real and permanent.

I do see changes and I am very proud of him, but he has always changed (briefly) to win me back in the past. I am not sure I can "trust" the changes I see. However, I do feel like we are making some progress...a few months ago, I couldn't stand to hear his voice. Now I can talk to him and sometimes I want to, but I am afraid he will start pressing me to discuss our R. When I tell him I am still hurting and I don't feel right about moving back until we can resolve some of the issues that drove me away - he gets ....um....depressed? I am not sure what happens, but his whole demeanor changes and he is no longer happy or fun.

I think time will heal us both! Let me know how the dating goes....remember - keep it fun and enjoyable. I sometimes forget that and find myself taking a stab at him.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/18/05 10:02 PM
Phoenixdeux,

I am the WAW, but you're right - I haven't completely given up. I am still hanging in there b/c 1) I want the dream of "happily ever-after", 2) I do still love him; I am just not happy living w/ him 3) H was my best friend in the beginning and 4) I feel like Divorce = failure.

I am definitely human...

I have tried explaining to him that I need resolutions and permanent changes before I can come back. He went to see a C for his money issues, while I was still there. A few sessions later he tells me that he is "cured" and has not gone back. He learned how to control his impulse to spend and that was it. I asked him to continue to work on communication skills; talk about what was going on with us; whatever to help him and ultimately us. I got nothing. He said he had nothing more to talk about and never went back. I moved out 4 months later. H did say that he would go to C w/ me after I moved.

I don't know that I can trust and love him the same b/c this is the 5th time I have left him for the same reasons. As I said before, he has always changed, but it was never permanent. It is because we have this pattern of me leaving and coming back to him - he knows that crying elicits sympathy and sometimes I think he does it to get invoke sympathy and pity from me. H knows I am a sucker for all living things and I can't stand to see needless suffering. I am one of those people who pick up the strays and bring them home, treat them like my own pets, posting posters until they find their owners or a new home.

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/18/05 11:04 PM
Michele,

I plan to keep it light and fun. We may go to lunch and a movie (her first suggestion) or dinner, movie and dancing (my suggestion to which she said she did not know I had an agenda). I don't have an agenda other than having fun and not talking about all of this. I want to create fun memories, and give her a longing again to be with me without pressure from me. If she decides that she would rather go to lunch and a movie, that is what we will do. I don't know what to say about your H on the R pressure. Does he respond to let's just have a good time, no R talk so that we can build some fun memories. If it goes well for a few months (or weeks, whatever), then maybe we can start to talk about the future.

Talking with you really helps me get perspective on how I need to handle my sitch.

I wish I could have her be similar to you. She tried to tell me over the years that what I was doing was hurting her. I did not hear. But she did not leave 5 times, not even 1 time until now. I have never been to a counselor before. I am going now. I am motivated to change because I don't like the person who did those things, the soon to be old me. I wish she would give me just one more chance in our M to see if this is really true. That is all I need.

Please read my threads and let me know your thoughts from a female perspective. today is moving day link

and
I have really screwed up.
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/18/05 11:04 PM
Michele,

I plan to keep it light and fun. We may go to lunch and a movie (her first suggestion) or dinner, movie and dancing (my suggestion to which she said she did not know I had an agenda). I don't have an agenda other than having fun and not talking about all of this. I want to create fun memories, and give her a longing again to be with me without pressure from me. If she decides that she would rather go to lunch and a movie, that is what we will do. I don't know what to say about your H on the R pressure. Does he respond to let's just have a good time, no R talk so that we can build some fun memories. If it goes well for a few months (or weeks, whatever), then maybe we can start to talk about the future.

Talking with you really helps me get perspective on how I need to handle my sitch.

I wish I could have her be similar to you. She tried to tell me over the years that what I was doing was hurting her. I did not hear. But she did not leave 5 times, not even 1 time until now. I have never been to a counselor before. I am going now. I am motivated to change because I don't like the person who did those things, the soon to be old me. I wish she would give me just one more chance in our M to see if this is really true. That is all I need.

Please read my threads and let me know your thoughts from a female perspective. today is moving day link

and
I have really screwed up.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/18/05 11:51 PM
Gene,

I will read your links and give you feedback shortly. I am still at work...so give me an hour or so.

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/19/05 01:13 AM
Michelle,

Thanks so much for your analysis. I would like to keep in contact here to see how you are doing with your H because in alot of ways, he is me. Our sitch's are the same in alot of ways, just reversed. I would like to bounce ideas off of you of what is going on with my W, and would love for you to bounce ideas off for your H. Hopefully we can both get to a happier place in our Ms. I don't remember if anyone here asked, but have you had your H read DR. I have not read DB, just DR. Maybe if you got him to read it, you could point out how it will take time and no pressure on his part, but to slowly show you the changes he is making without pressuring you. That would be like showing you love the way you want to see love right now. It takes a long time to build up the trust in his changes. That is what I have to show my W.

On the one point you made about my W feeling ill, and I offered to get something to help her feel better. Whenever she was not feeling well, I would always do what was necessary to get her better. I would run out in the middle of the night in the snow to get her whatever she needed. I do see your point. I will try to just wish her better when something like that happens.

Again, thanks so much for lending me your thoughts. It is one thing to work in a small vacuum of what the books and tapes say, but it is another to hear the perspective from someone in my W's similar sitch.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/19/05 01:30 AM
Gene,

I like your idea of bouncing ideas off each other. You may contact me here anytime. It just may take me a little bit to reply (when work is crazy).

I have not asked H to read DR or DB. I did have him watch tape 1 of the marriage breakthrough with me. The very next day he was so hopeful, he started pushing again and I just had to leave. The reason for this is b/c I have always come back to him b/c of his persistance and I hated hurting him...I don't know that it was ever really what I wanted, but more that I would give in to his pressure (over time).

I do not want to follow the same pattern. I want to end the cycle and unhealthy one-sided relationship we had. If I go back, I want it to be b/c I want to be there and not out of pity for him. I would hope that you would want the W to come back b/c she wants to be there and NOT b/c she felt sorry for you.

I am headed out for the evening - going to stop by the bookstore. Keep your chin up. I think you have a lot of good things going for you and I do see that the door is still open. She may be cold sometimes, but it's only the hurt talking. Keep that in mind.

Question - I was going to send H the web address here, I thought it would be very helpful to him as well (since it's mostly the left behind spouses), but at the same time I don't know if I want him reading my posts. I feel like it will make me vulnerable - Weird? Your thoughts?

M
Posted By: StubbornDyke Re: Advice - 01/19/05 01:34 AM
FYI, DR is basically the new, revised, easier to follow version of DB. It should never have been given a different title (or DB should have been taken out of print when DR was released).
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/19/05 01:44 AM
Cool - thanks! I will look for DR tonight. May not get far before I crash, but I will start it.
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/19/05 03:31 AM
Michelle,

I think you are right to not have your H reading here right now. First of all, he may get his own handle and start posting things to you that may not be in your best interest at that time. There are people here that could be of help, and you may not be able to trust what some of the wise ones are saying because who knows if it is H or not. You may feel you cannot say what you really want because he may be reading, and sometimes you might need to say something that could really hurt him.

I am reading DR for the 2nd time. It truly is a good book. I am hopeful now when I wasn't before. W had the kids call me so I could sing to them (well daughter anyway, son is 14, and he doesn't want to hear me belt out Rock a bye Baby) I cannot tell you how happy I was to hear from my kids. W did not come to the phone, and I did not ask for her. Just giving her space.

Having your H read DR might be a good way to have him learn a little more about how Rs should go. It has been an eye opener for me, and it has helped me grow. The more I read the better I feel. The 2nd time through is giving me insight into some things I missed the first time. Then, like I said in a previous post, you can gently point out how you need to go slow and H show you love by being patient and not bring up the R at every turn. May even point out to him that he is close to the last resort technique, and how he could use a few 180s, and how he could lighten up and use humor sometimes instead of being serious all the time about the R, and ... and ...
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/19/05 04:23 PM
Gene,

Thanks for your suggestions and insight.

I have to say that I am disappointed with myself. I wanted to buy the DR book last night...yet I stayed here, reading posts. By the time I left the book store was closed. I went to another grocery retailer that also carry books, with no luck. Therefore, my goal today is to not work late; to stop and buy 2 DR books (one for H, based on your suggestion) and maybe the lawyers book on Healing the Hurt, before heading to the gym. I was going to read the book(s) while doing a little cardio.

I am finding myself questioning things:
Can I truly forgive if I can't forget?

Isn't it ironic that I am the WAW, yet, I am the one here doing things to try to save my M? This should say a lot about how our R worked. It was usually me taking care of things.

Shouldn't he be doing these things? H has not even suggested anything to help us, except couples counseling, which I tried for YEARS to get him to go to.

I just feel like I am the one still "trying". I feel like I get nothing from him - no effort. Yet, H says he loves me, that he wants me back and that we can be happy together. He tells me things are going to be different. I just don't believe his words....maybe b/c I have heard them so many times before?

The only positive is that he has finally started giving me time and space. Unfortunately, I think it came too late. I am finding that I do not miss him. I miss having a nice home vs. the apt I live in now. He might have been a spender, but he also made a very good living. I miss the dogs. I miss doing things with him, but I am not sure it's him or the companionship that I miss.

I know that I was extremely unhappy the last 2-3 years that I lived with him. It was so stressful. I was completely overwhelmed doing the majority of the work around the house, making all the decisions, taking care of myself, him and the dogs, handling our finances, and working long hours on top of it. I once told him that I never felt more alone than I did with him in the same house. When he came home, I might (yes, might) get a hello or some kind of acknowledgement, but usually he went straight to the TV or the computer. We just didn't talk anymore. I did my thing and he did his.

I learned to play darts and I would go to sports bars with him to play in tournaments, etc. just so we would have something to do together. Unfortunately, he would hang out and talk to his buddies, more than with me. I am very outgoing and I make friends easily, so I always had someone to talk to; it just wasn't my H.

It was actually at one of these dart tournaments that I met AM, whom I find attractive. I found myself wanting to spend time with this OM. He was fulfilling the emotional needs I wasn't getting at home. I started asking this OM to come to play wherever we were playing so that I would have someone who paid me the attention I wanted/needed. Of course, I knew this was not right, but I didn't care - I needed the attention. The really sad part is H didn't even notice that AM was flirting and paying attention to me!

After a while, I realized that I was only complicating an already complicated sitch. Plus, I did not want to hurt the OM by getting involved w/ him while I was still uncertain about my M. I realized I needed time alone - to figure out what I wanted. I am happy to say that we (the OM & I) have remained friends.

So, here I am separated and alone. I don't want to go back to an unhappy sitch b/c I am lonely. I don't want to go back b/c I feel sorry for H and his hurting. If (and that's a BIG if) I go back, I want it to be b/c I believe we will have a loving and happy marriage. Now, how do I get that?

What is so hard is that I know we love each other, but my love for H has changed. I feel more of a concern and caring for him than the love I once felt. I have no desire to be intimate w/ H. I don't want him touching me, which means I am still hurting. But after the hurt heals, where will that leave us? I am not sure I can heal in H's time frame. I feel like he wants it to be overnight.

M
Posted By: StubbornDyke Re: Advice - 01/19/05 04:40 PM
Quote:

I am not sure I can heal in H's time frame.

And you shouldn't have to give it a moment's thought. His time frame is HIS problem. Your focus should be on your healing. I think it's important to keep enforcing the boundaries you need. You can't have a healthy R without healthy boundaries. If H can't figure that out and respect yours, than he's definitely not ready to have you back.

Remember that you can feel sad for H's pain, yet not try to take responsibility for fixing it.
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/19/05 05:09 PM
Michelle,

I really hope my sitch is not as deep as yours. It sounds like it is going to be very difficult for you and your H to reconcile. I suggest you read DR before you give a copy to your H. Have you thought of calling and setting up some coaching sessions?

As I see it right now, you seem to be floundering. You want to trust your H, and you want to love him, but you don't trust him, and right now don't want a whole lot to do with him. You really need to read DR. You need to set goals for yourself and what you want, kind of like my other thread, but I may have gone overboard a little. You need to get a plan of action to attain those goals. You will probably need help refining those goals and the plan of action to reach them. As Michele says, take action. What has been happening for a long time is not working, so stop doing that. Do something else, almost anything else (as long as it is legal in your state )

Read DR first, start working on yourself, and then get a copy to your H. You will feel better about yourself. If your H then reads it and takes it to heart, then maybe you two can start meshing your goals together. Get that copy for yourself first and read it. Keep posting here as I like this bouncing of ideas that you and I are doing.

How to forgive? I really don't know how to answer that one. I have never had something significant to forgive before, and even if I did, each person probably has to do it in their own way. You need to find a way to get there if you and your H have a chance. Again, as DR says, you have to be the one to change. You change, and start pressing the positive buttons in your H, and he will begin to change. I really would recommend talking to a coach to work on your goals and a plan of action. There is another website out there called saveyourmarriage.com. They have seminars around the country that last Fri-Sun. One of my goals is to have W and I go. It is in a few months for us, so I don't need to pressure her at this time.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/19/05 06:26 PM
Gene,

You could say that I am floundering, and I would agree. Here is what happens....

I find myself wanting to work things out w/ H. We get together for a date or something related to the house. Things usually begin well and we have a great time together, but then it happens. We get into an argument.

I would like to say it's the insecurity at the fact that we are separated, but he says I foster that insecurity by omission. For example, when he calls and I am on the other line instead of telling him "I am talking to _____ on the other line". I just say "I am on the other line". If he asks, I always tell him whom I am talking to. You would think ah-ha, there is the solution, just say who I am talking to up front. However, it is not that easy.
I purposely avoid saying who I am talking to b/c I have two very dear girlfriends that he dislikes. Therefore, when I do admit that I am talking to one of them - he will have some sarcastic comment to make - like "oh, what bad thing did she say about me today?" Therefore, I have learned NOT to say who it is - to avoid the sarcasm and attitude I get when I do tell him. The bad part is that my two girlfriends do not dislike him; they just want me to be happy. He dislikes them b/c when we were talking about separating - they encouraged it.

It's all stupid little things like that. When I tell him the reason I don't openly talk to him is b/c I get attitude in return. he says he doesn't do that, but I have repeated some of his comments to him. After that he just tells me it's b/c of some other thing I or my friends have done that he gets that way. It is so bad that my cell phone can't ring w/o some comment from him. I have gotten to the point where I'd prefer not to have my cell on or even w/ me when we are together.

However, I have a lot of family and friends who have become my support group. Leaving my phone off ultimately makes me feel like he is controlling me and I am a prisoner in my own home.

For you to fully understand, I have to give you a bit more history. In the beginning, when we were both happy, in-love, we moved in together. I had a friend that he disliked for a valid reason - she cheated on all her boyfriends. He would tell me I wasn't allowed to go to lunch, the mall, or anywhere else w/ her; she wasn't allowed over unless he was home, etc. It just got to be where I wasn't allowed to do anything (even grocery shopping) w/o him. I started truly feeling like a prisoner. The consequences of his threats was that we would break up. he would leave me if I went anywhere w/o him.

I finally broke this pattern after 6 - 9 months when I called his bluff. One night my cheater friend called, said she thought she was pregnant, didn't know who the father was and wanted to talk. Mind you we were all freshman in college and she was my best friend all through high school. I said sure - I would meet her. I called H; told him the situation. He told me that if I went to meet her not to come home after. That I wouldn't have a home to come home to. He said he would change the locks, puts my things outside, and take all the money out of our accounts (Which was our tuition money). After crying and fighting w/ H about this; I finally said to myself - I don't want to live like this. My friends are important to me and I am going to be a friend.

I called my mom, asked if I could move home, figured out that I could save up enough for tuition before the payment was due, etc. I called H back and told him to start packing my stuff. I was meeting my friend. He then said things like "I can't believe you are willing to throw our R away over this". He often tries to manipulate me to get his way. Usually, I let him - until I have had enough.

The truth of the matter was, I wasn't happy w/ the arrangement as it was. H could out and do whatever he wanted w/ any of his friends, but I wasn't allowed out at all?

This has been pretty typical of our entire R. Looking back, I feel like I have had to fight for everything that I wanted/needed.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/19/05 06:50 PM
stubborndyke,

I agree w/ you and I am working w/ C to help me learn to set limits and boundaries.

The following made me laugh -
Quote:

If H can't figure that out and respect yours, than he's definitely not ready to have you back.

This is exactly the kind of things my girlfriends say (the ones he dislikes). Imagine why he dislikes them????

Thanks!
M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/19/05 07:32 PM
I just feel like I am not strong enough, nor do I have the energy to constantly be asserting myself in the R. I want someone who wants to do for me as I do for them.

I told you about the money issues...well, I sort of cured that by making him give me his credit cards after much fighting and bickering back and forth. This was a few years ago. After having his credit cards for about a month, I told him that I did not want to be his mother. That he needed to be responsible and I said he either cut them up or I was out of the R. I explained that I was tired of being the one to sacrifice so we could save to buy a nice house. Either he was with me, as he claimed to be, or he wasn't. His choice.

After that we were not purchasing anything on credit. One night we were out at the mall. I had just gone to the eye doctor a few days prior to learn that I needed glasses for distance (driving, movies, etc.). We went into a entertainment place where he found some box movie set he just had to have. I said no, that we could use the money for other things. He kept on and on about this freaking box set (picture a little kid wanting something - that's what it was like). I finally gave in. $160 later, he had his box set. Let's just say that I waited another 2 months before getting glasses. When we got home, I said you know, I need glasses. Don't you think that is more important than movies? he said yes. Let's go get you glasses. I said we didn't have enough money to do both. his resposne - let's charge the glasses.

My C said I should have made him return the box set and used the money for glasses. I didn't. I wanted to be a nice W and let him have the things he wanted. Only, I was doing so at my expense. I was enabling the behavior. I agree, but at the same time I shouldn't have to take on a parental role w/ my H. Nor, did I want that role. I already felt like the secretary, the maid, the chef and occasionally when I wasn't totally exhausted and emotionally drained the lover.

I hope that explains a little more of why I am floundering. I am so tired of fighting literally and figuratively for everything. I don't think a R should be this hard.

M
Posted By: Phoenixdeux Re: Advice - 01/19/05 08:06 PM
Michelle

After so many split ups and back together agains it's no wonder you're hesitant to jump back in. I wouldn't either. You MUST have a soft spot if you keep taking him back and all it takes is promises and begging. I just had several comments.

1) I don't know if it sounds much like your husband has changed. It sounds more like the same pattern you described in the past. In order to effect real change he needs to "get it". Maybe the only way to acheive that is to be less accessible to him, especially regarding dates, etc, unless you really see signs of change.

2) It sounds like you're really still quite angry with him. Do you think you can let go of some of the past hurts if he does manage to change?

3) It sounds like the person working on improving how they are and how they feel is you. I hope for his sake that he can do the same so he'll become more attractive to you again. Personally, I think that the changes you are asking him to make aren't ones that he should be making for you, but ones that he should be making for himself. I know when I wrote down my list of things I wanted to change about myself, I was really stoked. It made me happy because even if my M didn't work out I would feel better about me. I'm not sure your husband has made the connection that he needs to change for his own good, not just yours. In that case, I doubt any changes could be permanent.

Don't have any specific advice except to take care of your own happiness and not worry so much about his. Even if he sounds miserable. You aren't responsible for his happiness and certainly shouldn't be his sole source. He's got to find things outside the marriage and within himself to make him happy. You continue to think about your happiness. I hope for your M sake that he gets it together.

Wes
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/19/05 10:16 PM
Michelle,

I was not trying to say you are doing anything wrong. You are hurt. You are staying hurt because nothing new is happening. Take some action that you have not done before. Any action. Well, let me slow that down first. Read DR, make some goals of the direction you think you would like to take, and a plan of action to get there, then take some action.

Please keep posting here as you go along. I would love to have my W read DR, but I would not dare give it to her now. I am hoping that I and others here giving our ideas to get our WAS back will get your feedback as to if it could work. Your advice has been invaluable to me, thank you. I, and others, would like to help you get through to your H to help you no longer be a WAW.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/19/05 11:06 PM
Thanks, Wes.

1) That's my point. It's the same ol' thing...he does good while I am gone and when I come back, but it has never lasted. I do think he has made small changes - like keeping the house clean - but I question the permanance of this change. What happens when I move back in? Will it slowly go back to me doing everything as it has the past 5 times? I will work on being less accessible. Good point.

2) I don't think it's anger. I think it's resentment. I feel like he took me for granted for many, many years. I am working w/ a C to try a few exercises to "let it go", such as writing out in detail past hurts and then, after pouring my heart onto paper, burning them while letting them go. We are working on these in baby steps = smaller hurts first.

3) I, too, am working on improving myself. My attitude is this - whether we get back together or not, I need to learn to let go and move on so that I do not carry these things into my future relationships. I want to feel good about myself. I have been reading (as time allows) about forgiving. I think it is helping ease the pain.

I am going to buy DR tonight and read it while working out. Then I am going to movie - just to relax and take my mind off things for a little bit.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/19/05 11:17 PM
Gene,

I didn't think you were telling me I did anything wrong. What made you feel that way? I appreciate your honesty, your comments, your suggestions etc. I hope that you did not think I was getting defensive - I wasn't. I think I was just venting and letting it out???

That is my plan - to make changes. I think sometimes, a little guidance in what actions should be taken is helpful. Which is why I like your suggestion about a coach. I have actually began to do some things in order to accomplish a few of my personal goals, for myself.

I intend to keep chatting w/ anyone who wants to talk to me.

Gotta go for the night. I promised myself I'd stop at the bookstore to get DR and then off to the gym. I get enough disappoinments from life - I don't intend to add to them.

Have a good night,
M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/20/05 04:27 AM
Michelle,

I'm sorry. I must have misread what you were saying, or how you said it. I am glad you are working on you. That is really the only thing that you can do. To get changes out of your H, you have to make changes to you and how you approach things. My only thing I was thinking is that I am not sure you know exactly what you want right now. It is hard to make goals and a plan of action when you don't know. If you want your H back, truly want him back, then you need to heal yourself, and then forgive him to get a true chance, IMO. Stubborndyke is right in that it has to be on your time. You have to make that decision and then follow through. I hope you were able to get the book. Michele's writing is easy on the eyes. She has an ease with her points that makes you want to keep going.

I have one to run by you. This exact wording is on my other thread. "Something kind of interesting happened today. I went over to pick up the kids to have dinner with them. W had a class. I thought she would already be gone by the time I called to get them. She answered. We talked about stepson's grades, lower than our expectations. Anyway, she mentioned a guy at school that is her friend. He is in an R with a woman who will jump on him and scratch him and go out and party with him at home and not let him go out. I was bad, but I was not as bad as that, at least I hope. They bought a new house together. W asked him why he would do that when he said something about only staying with his R because of the last house. He told my W that he stays because of his daughter. There was an awkward silence after she said that. Kind of stunned me, but I said nothing. I did not say so should we, or he was crazy. After a couple of seconds, she changed the subject. She was leaving as I arrived. She smiled and waved. " What do you think?
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/20/05 03:03 PM
Gene,

I know I go back and forth. I think it's mostly b/c I want to work things out w/ H b/c I still love him, but I am not seeing any results. So it's frustrating. I feel like he "says" he wants us to be together, but he's not doing anything to facilitate that.

I said before that I do see small changes, but they are changes that I have seen before, like helping around the house or being very loving. What has happened in the past is that after I am back 6 months to a year; it starts fading out again. Within a 1 1/2 years - it's back to the same old thing where he takes me for granted. I think I am afraid to take a chance that it will happen AGAIN. I can't keep doing this - it's way too hard on me emotionally.

I also feel like I am the only one working on our R - and I am the one who walked away!

About you question - I think she brought it up to get your reaction. Sort of testing you to see if you would agree with the other man and tell her that you two should work it out for the kids sake, etc. By not responding you did the right thing. I think she used that story to determine if you thought you should stay together for the kids. Now she doesn't know. She will have to discuss this specifically with you to get feedback. Plus, you didn't get angry - you kept the emotions in check. Very nice!

M

P.S. After driving to several bookstores looking for DR; I ended up finding 1 copy of DB instead. I bought that one and a few other self improvement books that caught my attention. Since I spent so much time trying to locate DR; I didn't get as much of a workout as I had hoped, but I did 30 minutes of cardio and read the beginning. I will start there and just order DR. Maybe give H DB when I finish it.
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/20/05 04:11 PM
Michelle,

I do see where you can be very frustrated that the changes are small, and the same as before, and they usually go away after some time back in the M. He is going to have to make the changes bigger and permanent. He will slip sometimes, but as long as he gets back up on the horse, progress is being made. But it does not sound like he is making the big changes yet. He may not seem to know the extent that he needs to. After your read DR, give him the copy and see what he does from there. If he does not start making the real changes, then there may not be much hope, unless you can just deal with what has gone on for years, and that is not fair to you.

Thanks for the reply on the conversation with my W from yesterday. I almost got the impression that it just came out before she thought about it. If she was testing me, I hope I passed.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/20/05 05:07 PM
Gene,

Thanks. You are saying exactly what I am thinking....changes have to be bigger and permanent for me to stay in the M. If not, I can't stay. Life is too short for me to be this unhappy and I am not willing to take anti-depressants or other meds to make it where I don't care.

Trust me, I have already tried that option. The year before I moved out, I was going to C alone. She suggested a mild anti-depressant to take the edge off; mainly b/c I cried everyday and felt this overwhelming sadness. I truly believe the sadness was me grieving for the loss of the R.

I did take the anti-depressants and I didn't cry anymore, but I didn't care anymore either. I was just content. I think H liked me this way - I wasn't nagging or crying or complaining or anything . After about a month, I took myself off them. I said I didn't want to go through life "content" and not happy.

Thanks very much for your input. It validates how I am feeling.

Today is a good day for me. I feel good about myself and what I am doing. I worked out last night, I read some of DB and I relaxed a little before bed.

I re-read through your goals and started thinking about additional goals I want to set for myself. I already have some goals for myself, like get in shape (ie workout), financial, etc. But I really need to sit down and come up with some relationship goals. I need to clearly define the changes I am looking for and what actions I want to see from H. Not to mention changes in attitude and behaviors I want to make myself.

Here's a question - should I share these goals w/ H? Should I tell him the changes I want to see from him? Or let him read the DR book and see what changes he makes himself? The reason that I am asking is b/c I believe he will make the changes I ask for in order to win me back, but I am afraid they will not be permanent changes and 2 years from now I will be going through this all over again. Your thoughts?

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/20/05 05:30 PM
Michelle,

I have to say that I am a beginner in all of this, and so I am hoping some others will chime in here as well. I don't think you should share your goals with your H, at least not in the near term. Alot of what the book is saying, and you may not like this, but you have to make changes to see changes, at least from my understanding, It takes one to tango. Your goals are things that you wish for you to do that will affect changes in him. 1 of goals was to be nice and humorous with my W, leading to the goal of getting her to want to call me 3 times per week. She has already called me 7 times in the last 2 days, and I just got 2 emails from her, 1 asking me to call her later. It is a start, but OMG this is hard. Hardest job I have ever attempted. Read the book(s) and do your part, then let him read the books and watch to see what happens. I pray it goes your way, and he wakes up.

I agree with you on no meds. I talked with my counselor about me not wanting any meds, and he agreed. I really was in better spirits last night than the first 2 meetings. I have a Dr appt in a couple of weeks where I am going to ask for tests about a chemical imbalance in my system, and if so, how to treat through diet and exercise. My sister had some of the same symptoms I did and it turned out to by thyroid problems.

I am glad I can help you at least a little. You have been immearureably good for my psyche. You have helped me in ways I don't even know, and I thank you. It is good to bounce ideas off of a WAW who is in a similar sitch as my WAW. I wish there was a way I could pay you back or smack your H upside the head so that he could be smarter and give your M a chance.

I am glad you are feeling better today. The sun is going to rise, so should we. I am starting the gym on Fri. I think I am going to try sky diving in 2 weeks. I am going to see if the enemy's soon to be ex wants to do a guys trip to Mexico or something soon. That will get back to my W. Do you think that will make a difference to her at all? I have a ski trip for next month planned.
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/20/05 05:36 PM
Michele -
I was reading your thread y'day and thinking - boy, this H seems like such an immature jerk who needs a mom more than a W. She's worked with him and he is unwilling to change - why doesn't she give up.

Then I related to my own sitch as the LBS. I know my W thinks she has tried to get me to change. She tells me she's been working on this for years and is just "worn out". Funny thing is, I can't remember more than a couple of occasions where she did anything specific to get through to me, and I remember several times where I tried to engage her and she brushed me off. My point is, that in most of our situations both parties feel like the communications on how the WAS felt just were not effective. I suspect there must be some of that dynamic in your sitch, as somehow you are not getting through to your H. Either that, or he is just a big dunce! .

Anyway, it pains me a bit to see someone like you here wanting to work on your M and having your H be oblivious to the need to change. I figure there must be more there.

Good luck

D
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/20/05 06:26 PM
D,

Thanks for your comments.

Yes, that is true...I may not have communicated in a way that he could hear (I mean really hear) what I was saying. I believe that may be the case in the beginning the first few times I left, but I am positive that I was very clear this last time.

I wrote a list of the things I was unhappy about. Some were things I personally wanted to work on, the rest were R things. The list itself may have been vague, but when it came to the actions I wanted him to take - they were specific and clear.

For example, in December 2003, I told him that he had to go to a C for his money issues. I told him that this person had to have experience in money addictions and obsessive/compulsive behavior. I said he had to find a C and attend 1 session before the end of January. H is a bit of a procrastinator - so deadlines were necessary. I asked for proof of this visit in either a receipt or the duplicate check copy. Btw, he never gave me proof, but I knew he was going b/c I saw the checks clearing our account.

I documented the things I asked for in writing so he could have it to refer to, when/if in doubt. I even told him that he could get a list of C's that his insurance would accept by calling the number on his insurance card and start from there.

I think this might tell you more about my H. On our 8th anniversary we were getting ready to start our day, when he doubled over in pain. He wouldn't move. I asked if he was alright and he said no. After much debate and encouragement, I finally got him to go to the hospital. Turns out he had kidney stones. They said there were 3, but only 1 was moving, which was causing the pain. They gave him something for the pain and refered him to a urologist. I called made the appointment and took him to see the urologist. He was given a container to urinate in so they could run some tests to determine the cause of the kidney stones. 1 1/2 years later that container is still in our house! I can do a lot of things for him, but I can't urinate for him.

I kept on him about it every time I would see the container. He finally put it in a cabinet, so I wouldn't see it regularly and I would stop asking about it.

Any suggestions?
M
Posted By: Phoenixdeux Re: Advice - 01/20/05 09:02 PM
I have a suggestion. Might as well forget about the urine container. He should just throw it out.

I think DinWa is right about him seeming to need a mother. Do a 180 and don't pressure him to do the things it's in his own best interest to do. Don't remind him of anything. He might just be behaving stubbornly because you ask/tell/remind him to do something. Try a 180 and don't bother to tell/ask/or inquire about things that he needs to do. That or find another hole with cheese in it (from the book...don't know if you have it).

Wes
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/20/05 09:31 PM
Michelle -
some of that hits home. At some point when I was in full pursuit mode (post-bomb) my W said to me "I feel like I have 3 children to take care of (e.g. my 2 D's + Me). I was pretty dependent on her for things. She made my hair appointments, Dr. appointments, planned vacations, any dates we would have. In my defense I worked really really hard - but probably to the extent I ignored my family.

So it was something about me, but also something about her enabling my actions (or is it inactions). I know that post bomb I have had to get my act together and have really gotten back in touch with myself. However - that took a whole lot of new self-awareness and personal insight. Through counseling, I have figured some stuff out (like the fact that I never slept and didn't care about anything probably were symptoms of depression) Even at that I am not sure it is enough to convince my W to come back to me.

Seems to me that your H still has not gotten it. I mean he hears you but doesn't have the self-awareness he nees to change. For most of us the 2x4 of the "bomb" was enough to get us motivated - that's why we bought DR and found this site. I don't know exactly what to tell you to get through to him. Maybe you can give him DR and he will read and get it, maybe counseling will work. Maybe you have to just keep pushing him away until he figures it out. Work on yourself and see if he comes around. That is kind of what most of us are doing

D
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/20/05 09:43 PM
Thanks, Phoenixduex.

I haven't been asking/telling/reminding him of anything for the past 10 - 12 months. Mainly b/c it doesn't do any good and only frustrates me. Still no changes in his behavior.

I have the DB book, but haven't gotten that far, but I have watched the Marriage Breakthrough tapes and Michele talks about it in there so I get the reference - just not sure how I should apply it here. I have tried the you need to _______ (whatever the task that needs to be done). I have tried the 180 of not saying or doing anything. I have stayed and I was miserable b/c my emotional needs were not being met. I have left and found peace, a lot less stress, and some happiness, but also loneliness and confusion. I miss the security of having him there.

I don't know any other paths to try. Find another hole w/ cheese? I read that now and think that might mean another path in life - time to move on??? I am ready to end the emotional roller coaster; one way or another. I don't care. I am tired of trying with no results. Severing the R may be the only way to end my frustration and hurting.

Does that make sense?

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/20/05 10:15 PM
Michelle,

I think that Phoenixduex was referring to cheeseless tunnels. It can apply to you finding a new path, with or without H. I think he meant that your H (the rat, not really calling him a rat, but that is what is up with this analogy) is always searching down a certain tunnel for the prize (cheese). He will keep going down that tunnel. Somehow you need to move the cheese and then teach him to use the other tunnel. Otherwise, he will go down that bad tunnel forever even if there is never cheese there again.

Severing the R may be the only answer you have left, but you came here asking advice. That says you are not ready for that choice yet. Finish DB. I have not read that one, but really like DR. Follow the steps patiently. Give the book to your H and see if he begins to get it. If he doesn't, THEN maybe it is time to move on. But for now, you have only been posting for a few days, get your goals and plan of action together, and then execute it patiently. I think it is too early to give up. Try the program first, and then see.

Patience is not a good word for me today. I am posting today's interactions in just a minute. Please tell me your thoughts.
Posted By: ashmo17 Re: Advice - 01/20/05 11:26 PM
I don't mean to steal your post but I was wondering if Michelle21 would please read mine and tell me what her opinion is? My thread is in sepearted forum under 2nd time husband has left...Ashmo17.
Thank you!!!!
Amy
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/21/05 04:17 PM
Amy,

I will read your sitch now.

M
Posted By: married_three_months Re: Advice - 01/21/05 04:58 PM

Michelle,
It must be the moon because you are the second newcomer this week I can really relate too. c I have been on this board 5 months, and I always hear the comment “ wow are sitches are so much a like” Although I have thought that before- you are the first person to post here were I think wow are we married to the same man.
I am not really good with expressing myself on the board, I get too emotional when I am venting here and leave important stuff out.

Quote:
My H was (yes, past tense) a compulsive spender; often spending without any regard for my well being. I was the one doing without so that he could have "things" (material things). He would hide, lie and deny his spending habits whenever I would confront him. He could and would lie to my face.

He would spend and I would figure out how to pay the bills. At one point, I would use one credit card to pay the minimum balance on another and often worried that we were at our limit. I took care of the finances, the house, the yard, etc. Occasionally, he would help, but for the most part I was on my own.

This word for word describes my H- Even though he was the WAS- Because I was too “controlling over money”. And this is one of the reasons I have not taken him back.

Quote:
I haven't been asking/telling/reminding him of anything for the past 10 - 12 months. Mainly b/c it doesn't do any good and only frustrates me. Still no changes in his behavior.

I tried this too. Infact I was doing this when he left- Kind of a well if he does not care that the lawn is a foot high, then neither do I.
I am SO SO SO tried of being my husband mother, I want to be his wife not his mother. It is frustrating as hell, I so understand. Not only that but if is very very stressful to be the only one being responsible. To be the only one worrying.

So what can you do! I wish I had the answers. My H is truly trying, and it is going to take a lot of growing up on his part and a lot of time. But He finally realizes that he needs to fix this, it is the only way to get me back.
I do have a suggestion, to get your H to listen, it is probably bad advice, but it worked for me. But before I give you my advice I have a few questions. I am a little confused are you living together? How old is your H. I am also, going to get my H to read your thread- I think it will help him understand how I feel- and maybe he can give you some insight on your H actions.
The one thing I have a really hard remembering/ understanding is how it can be so hard NOT TO SPEND MONEY. I have said to my H a 100 times, just do nt spend, he answers- I know it is hard. I don’t get it, but I am trying to understand.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/21/05 05:22 PM
married-three_months,

Thanks for the response. I think that it would be a great idea to have your H read the posts that explain how you are feeling. Sometimes it's easier for someone close to us to hear something from someone they do not know personally. You know what I mean? Maybe when you try to explain how you feel to him; he gets defensive and doesn't really hear what you are telling him.

I have learned that my H had to learn to distinguish between a want and a need when it came to spending money. My H had to learn that when he had the urge to spend - he needed to step back and think to himself : Is this a need or a want? If it was a want; then how am I going to pay for it w/o setting me or us back financially? He has learned to control the impulse spending. I personally think that he liked the instant gratification from buying "things".

No, we are not living together. I moved into an apt June 1. H is 34. I believe my H got his money issues b/c his parents are well off and he never had to learn to budget or do without or even make choices between this or that. they always bought him everything he wanted.

I look forward to hearing your advice - good or bad. I will consider anything at this point.

Thanks,
M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/21/05 07:24 PM
You are right. Usually it is easier to have someone else get through to your S. I don't know why we don't listen to the opinions of the ones we love the most in the first place. That is why I have that as one of my goals, number 2. I will listen intently to my W's opinions.

Maybe one thing for your H that would help, IF you got back together, would be to have pay all the bills for a month or two just to see what you have to deal with. While he is doing that, you spend. Don't use the stuff, and keep the receipts to take it back if you want, but put the shoe on the other foot. Role reverse with him. My W role reversed on me, and it sure got my attention.

I am planning a speech at some point in the future. She says we are bad for each other. In arguments, she would follow me around to talk about it now. I would try to get away to cool down before saying stupid things. This would frustrate both of us. She being the pursuer and me being the flee-er. We would escalate to very ugly comments. "What would have happened if before it really started to escalate if I had turned around, gave her a hug, and told her how I feel about her (and not how I feel right that second ). How much better would we have been for each other? She says that people can't change. I went down a darker and darker path this last year. Isn't that a change. Why can't I come back from the darker path? If I break some bad habits and replace them with some good habits, isn't that me changing? I am not there yet, but I am working on it. She saved me from a very bad place. I have to thank her. I just wish the cost was not so high."

What do you think of that kind of speech Michelle? It is way too early for that, especially since she told me she is going on a ski trip, maybe, next month. I am still bummed about her going to Vegas. I think there is a remote chance she will invite me to Vegas. Very small, and unlikely, but it could happen. Also could happen that this S could be longer than I hoped, or could end in D. Thoughts?
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/21/05 07:59 PM
Gene,

First, I like what you are saying about changing the bad habits into good habits. It's a valid point, but I am not sure now is the right time to give her the speech. Have you had an argument w/ her where you hugged her and told her how you felt before it got really ugly? If not, I think she needs to see more of the good habits before you give her the speech.

As the WAW, I do not want you putting too much HOPE into her asking you to join the Vegas trip. If she is wanting a little distance and space to sort through her emotions; then she may use the trip as a means of "distance" literally. I wouldn't want to see you disappointed (and possibly depressed) as a result if she doesn't ask. I suggest that you plan on her not asking you to go; and then if she does you will be pleasantly surprised.

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/21/05 09:07 PM
I agree that now is not the time to have that conversation. I was thinking that it was getting close until she told me about her ski trip. I have never had an argument with her where I would turn around and hug her and tell her I love her. That would be a major 180. There is no way that could happen right now because I am not in, that is why I would only be able to tell her about it.

I agree that she is probably not going to ask me to go with them to Vegas. It just crossed my mind during the conversation this morning. This is absolutely the hardest job I have ever taken on, and by far the most important. I pray every day for patience to get my W and family back. I wish W could be more like you Michelle. 5 times of leaving. It only takes one for me to want to change my life to be a better man, a better husband, and a better father. How do I get that through to her. Patience. It has only been one week.
Posted By: dawg03 Re: Advice - 01/21/05 09:17 PM
Gene, I really do know what you are going through but you need back off and give you W some space. Make her wonder about your changes and what you are doing - she will I promise.

It took me a while to realize this. My W was gone for 2 months before she returned. I know she would have come back sooner if did not pursue her.

Good luck this weekend.

Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/21/05 09:18 PM
Gene,

Keep up the good work.

Just to give you a little perspective...it took your W a while to decide to leave and then to get the courage to tell you about that decision. Therfore, she will be very cautious to reverse that decision. She needs time. Time to miss you, time to heal, etc.

When I left the first time; I think it took me 2 -3 months before I was ready to come back. Hopefully, she will see the differences in you and your time apart will not be that long.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/21/05 09:27 PM
Question -
In a conversation I had w/ H last weekend; he mentioned going out to the MAC website and checking out their new products. MAC is the make-up that I wear for those of you who are not familair w/ MAC. I keep thinking about this - if he has time to go surfing/shopping on the web; then why is he not searching for M saving websites, like this one?

I have a b-day coming up so he could have possibly been shopping for that reason. Why he has not tried finding ways to save the M, especially since he tells me that he just wants his W back and for us to be happy together?

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/22/05 03:17 AM
Michelle,

Thanks for the perspectives on how long it may take. I have only been out for 1 week. I think that maybe after tomorrow, I might go dark a little. Become much less available for a few days. Don't answer the phone or emails.

As for your question. Your H may not know that those websites for saving a marriage exist. Until a friend lent me his DR book, I had no idea. I was just telling her that I am changing. I did not know that this place or these methods existed. There are others as well, but I was clueless. Do you have a mutual friend that you trust that could pass this info on to him? Not about this website of course, but maybe something like savemymarriage.com. Maybe a friend like this could be the one to pass DB or DR on to your H. Sometimes we do listen to others besides our spouses better.
Posted By: ConfusedAndAlone Re: Advice - 01/22/05 04:00 AM
There's lots of answers to that one Michelle.

He could be looking at marriage building websites and you just aren't aware of it. I read this site a lot but still, I do look at other sites.

Or..

Gene is right. Maybe he doesn't know these sites exist. When I found out about the affair, I started looking for articles relating to that topic. I stumbled across a message board completely by mistake. I had never even thought of looking on the internet for support.

Perhaps this isn't his kind of help. My H doesn't read here and has never had any interest in reading relationship books either. It's just not his thing. He deals with things differently than I do.

Rather than assuming that he isn't reading marriage rebuilding material, why not just ask him? Why not suggest to him that it would be a good and thoughtful thing to do?
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/22/05 09:07 PM
Thanks for the replies, but he looks for everything else on the Internet. He is a complete techy, which just makes me feel like he isn't trying.

I did the forgiveness exercises today. It felt good. I feel free, now. I want to write H an note and simply say "I forgive you". What do you think?

M

Posted By: m3m_h Re: Advice - 01/23/05 01:13 AM
hello michelle,

I have never replied to your thread before but my W has been on here for awile and I also joined this site to try to get help for myself to be a better me. I am/was alot like your H when it came to spending, and you are right it probably does have to do alot with his upbringing. My W realizes that it is not easy for me to just change this. If he is alot like me I have been like this all my life and it takes hard work for me not to do it now. I still slip every once in awile the difference is I feel terrible when I slip now, before it was "oh well we'll be fine" but not any more. I trained myself, it used to be bad, I used to spend up to $20 per day on nothing, I would walk into a store and buy a pop and chips and a magazine and 2 chocolate bars etc. now when I walk into a store I bring 2 dollars with me and I force myself to choose a bag of chips or a pop or a chocolate bar. I also had a bad time with the bar scene. I would spend until the night was over. now I end the night when the money that I go in with is gone. It won't be easy for him but if you are worth keeping in his mind he will change. Even now I slip and I asked my W for help. This will only work if he WANTS to change if he doesn't he may get angry with you. what I am doing now is my W will get my entire cheque from work. If I want to go out she will give me money 20 or 40 or what ever. this will force me to watch my money, I don't have and endless supply for the night. if I want the night to last longer I have to stretch my money. like I said this won't work with everyone but I really want to change. I used to do this and I resented her if she wouldn't give me more money, I have to realize now that I made the choice to put her in charge of my money and she will never steer me wrong if she says no there is a reason. you and your H may not be at the point we are right now. If you read married-three_months threads you know what I did was way worse than this. I screwed up bad. There are alot of things that I have changed about myself and my W is probably more in your shoes than you know. It will be hard for her to believe that the changes I have made are for good, it is not for her to believe, it is for me to prove. I hope that this helped even a little, I hope things work out for you where ever life may take you.
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/24/05 02:42 AM
I don't think it would be a good idea to send him that note yet, unless you want him calling you and trying to pressure you back. Believe me on coming from the other side of things. Forgive him for you, act like it, but don't tell him now. Get the book to him after you are done, and see if he can figure it out. But, that advice is coming from someone who blew it yesterday. I am back at square 1.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/24/05 04:07 PM
m3m_h,

Thanks for the suggestions. I think you missed the part that I made him go to a C for his money issues. That is no longer a problem for us. Of course, I expect that there will be slips, but I hope they will few and far between and that he will have remorse/regret when they happen whereas he didn't in the past.

What my issue with H is that I had to force him to go to a C. I feel like I have to fight for anything and everything to get my wants/needs met. It's all emotional fights and I just don't have the energy to continue battling to get my needs met. I am tired of fighting. I just end up disappointed and hurt.

M
Posted By: Phoenixdeux Re: Advice - 01/24/05 04:27 PM
Hi Michelle,

Your situation is very difficult because while you think of yourself as the WAW, you are the position of being the one actively working on the marriage. I think that questioning whether it's all worth it sound pretty normal. I often do my own questioning as well. I look at the changes I'm attempting to make in myself and while I feel good about it, it's not really appreciated by my WAW. Plus she's not working on our marriage at all and at this point isn't very attractive (in a more emotional sense) to me.

So have you made your goals for your relationship and looked for little signs that it's working out? What is it that you want your H to be doing differently that he's not doing right now? Does he say he wants to work on the marriage? If so, maybe you just need to spell out for him your needs in a different way. Focusing on what his actions will be and put in positive terms rather than negative ones (such as not saying "you'll be less critical of me. Rather, you'd say I want you to be more supportive of my opinion and say more compliments and such when deserved).

Michelle, it all sounds very complex because I'm not sure whether you and your H are on the same page at all. I'm not even sure from reading the thread whether you have gotten past resentment that he won't commit fully to this relationship. When he makes strides in the right direction maybe he just needs a compliment or praise (ie thanks for focusing on X). I don't know. I think you just need to experiment and see what works.

Hope some of that helps

Wes
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/24/05 04:35 PM
Quote:

I just don't have the energy to continue battling to get my needs met. I am tired of fighting. I just end up disappointed and hurt.

Wow. That could have been lifted straight from my W. She says the same thing. I am tired, I am weary, I can't do this anymore. The difference is that I have woken up and am trying to provide what she needs, and she won't accept it.

If your H was to start changing tomorrow - do you think you would trust him? What do you think you'd need to see from him to make you feel safe and loved?

D
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/24/05 04:49 PM
Gene,

Thanks. I did not send him anything over the weekend. We are going out Saturday night to celebrate my b-day. I thought about telling him then I forgive him, but my feelings about the R have not changed. I am just not sure this is a good idea either. I will just wait and see how things go between us.

I know he is planning something really nice b/c when I am asked him how I should dress he told me "dressy". I am not really looking forward to it though. H is going overboard to take me somewhere extravegant and buy me a nice gift as a means to "impress" me. He is showing me love in the way he always does - he buys me things or takes me out to extravegant places.

Unlike most women, that is not what I want. I just want a quiet dinner with a few friends or family, talking and sharing. I am not a material girl in any way. It is the little things that touch my heart.

I was thinking about this over the weekend; maybe in college when we met I was impressed with the extravegant gifts, at first, b/c I hadn't really ever had anyone shower me w/ gifts the way he did. But then I grew up and realized that I didn't want or need those things. Instead, I wanted things that had meaning, not value. I am also a very conscious person, and I felt the extravegant gifts or places just added to our already hefty debt and created more financial problems.

Yes, I have told him this...in fact, I had him return the first engagement ring he bought me; telling him that it was too big; that I did not need anything that big. I told him the monthly payments were like a car payment. So he returned the ring and bought himself a new car! So much for my efforts to decrease the debt.

As I have said before, I feel like I am always battling. I try to do things to reduce our debt, to get the emotional attention I want/need, etc, but somehow H always finds a way to turn into something for himself and I just sit back while it happens not know what to do to change it.

Sometimes even when I know what I should do, I don't do it. Like making him return something he purchased or telling him no when he wants to spend. I love him and I want him to have things; so I will say no (for the financial aspect), but when he mentions it again and agian eventually, I agree b/c it's easier than continuing to be "mean" and telling him no. The same thing happnes when my need for touch and holding turns into s for him. Sometimes, I just want to be held. I will hug him or snuggle up next to him and the next thing I know he is all over me tearing my clothes off. When I say, I just wanted to be held he gets mad; and then I give in and give him s. He's happy and I am miserable; feeling like his needs are more important than mine.

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/24/05 04:54 PM
Michelle,

I don't blame you on not wanting to be the one to always work on the R. That is hard work. Sounds like one of your goals should be to get him to start working on the R a little at a time. I don't know that actions to take to get him to realize and then begin doing. One of the things I am thinking of for the future if it works out, is a talking stick. We meet regularly to talk about our needs and if they are being met, and whoever holds the talking stick can talk openly, and the other has to listen with their heart open. I have all kinds of ideas for the future, don't know if I will be able to implement with my W.

I found out over the weekend, that I am controlling. If you could look at my thread at your leisure, and please advise from a WAW perspective. I think I see a little of that in your H as well. Just curious as to the best way to do things to help her financially with no strings attached, and to give her space and time and let her control. I don't know if there is more I need to work on as well. I really do feel like I am making progress on the anger and depression issues. Now I find out that I am a controller.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/24/05 05:09 PM
Gene,

I already replied to your sitch.

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/24/05 05:12 PM
Wow Michelle,

Your H and I are more alike than I thought. I would always convince my wife to let me buy more of a certain stock. She was not comfortable, but I would bully until she said yes. I have stopped buying it now.

She also would just like to be held. I have not put the "moves" on in a long time. I have just held, up until I moved out. What do you need to see in your H? Use me as the guinie pig. What do you need to see in him? Run by all of us what you want to see in him, and maybe we could all come up with ways to help him see what you need. First of all, he needs to make it all about you. It is all about what you need at this point. It has been so long that he has unbalanced the boat in his way. It is time to bring it back in balance by moving to what you need. It could be as simple as here is a list of what I need from you. You meet these needs, and we will start moving in the right direction. If you get off track, I will tell you. This is going to be hard, so if you are not up to it, I understand. It would be nice if it were that simple.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/24/05 07:33 PM
Gene,

What do I need to see in H? You already said it -
Quote:

First of all, he needs to make it all about you.

Here are some things I want to see:
* I need to see that H will put my needs first (meaning above his), at least for a while.
* I want to know that H is listening. I mean really listening; not the half-hearted crap I have been getting. He needs to do a little paraphrasing and repeating what I say...to clarify and then actually make the changes/efforts or making another suggestion.
* He needs work on his behavior toward me (mainly - anger, selfishness, his need to control, and manipulation).
* I want to feel loved in the way that I feel love. It was an exercise in the videos - list the 3 things that another can do to make me feel loved.....

I have to admit: even if he does these things or more, I am not sure I want to try anymore. It's been too long of a journey down the wrong path. I am at a point where I no longer have any respect him b/c of all the nasty things that have transpired between us. Just don't wait to long before showing your W changes.

I left 8 months ago. I was bitter and resentful. I did the forgiveness exercises over the weekend. I had hoped I would feel differently about my H. I don't. The good news is that I do not feel any more bitterness, anger or resentment. I feel like it freed me from the past. I can now put the past behind me and move on with my life.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/24/05 08:15 PM
It's funny, I asked H to PLEASE leave me alone, give me time and space to sort out some things. I needed time to heal. Time to figure out if I wanted to continue to try to save our M. He is finally doing that - leaving me alone - after 8 months and I think it's having the opposite effect?

I thought that I would miss him. That I would feel lonely and want to work things out. I am not finiding that at all. I am finding that by him leaving me alone I am healing. My heart is healing.

We haven't talked to each other since Monday (last week - Jan. 17th). I was going to contact him over the weekend to tell him I forgave him, but I didn't. I figured I could wait until I saw him Saturday. It's like I continue to limit our contact.

After this weekend; reading DB, doing the forgiveness exercises, etc. I realized that I want to improve myself. I don't want to work on the R. I don't mean that to sound harsh or cold. I am just beginning to accept the reality of my sitch. No changes = no M and I don't see H doing anything to better the sitch.

All I can do is change me, and keep a PMA. That's what I am doing.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/24/05 08:32 PM
Oh yeah, I left this one out earlier -
*I want no R talk from H. I would like for us just to go out and enjoy each other for a couple of times w/o having to discuss us.

H is always telling me that he is a new person and he is not the same guy who treated me badly. So, I tell him let me get to know this "new" guy. I ask him to "act as if" we have just met. Let's go out a few times, so I can see the changes and get a feel of what life would be like w/ this new person before asking me for a decision on the R.

That never happens - by the end of the night H usually brings up the question: When are you coming home? I once tried to be funny and responded that I don't move in w/ men I just met after one date. Needless to say, H didn't find it amusing.

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/24/05 09:27 PM
Michelle,

He has a tough road to go, and he has no clue how hard it is going to be. I am sorry that your heart is getting hardened to the point of no return. It is no fun getting to this point. Your H is sounding more and more like me. Thanks for the posting in that I see myself, and how I need to be. That helps me, and some others here, but I don't know what to say about getting your heart softer towards your H. If he were to start listening to you, really listening, stop talking about the R, putting in the effort to find your needs and then putting in the effort to meet your needs, would that start to soften your heart? How do you get that across to him? He has no clue. Is there really no way you would want to get him a list of your grievances, and more importantly, needs? From my perspective it is really hard to know what to think or do, especially when you have not seen or talked with him for a week.

It really helps me. I am going to back off of my W, and let her lead the dance. I am going back to my goals. I will make our conversations light and fun. I will listen to W. I will support her life goals. I will let her control the situation (the newest goal). I really want to call her to let her know I will help financially more than what I have, but I will let her call me when she needs something and get it to her gratiously.
Posted By: hope33 Re: Advice - 01/24/05 09:57 PM
Michelle21,
First of all I would like to congratulate you for the commitment you have shown to your marriage. I understand you are on the fence and its understandable. I very much admire your commitment, you should be proud of yourself.

Your husband is so very lucky to have a wife who is willing to think about trying.

Shortly after my divorce I stopped pushing my XW. Leading up to the D I tried to refrain from pressure, believe me everytime I was around her and even when I wasn't I wanted to convince her she was making a mistake, that she belonged with me. It is very hard not to push, even now. I also evoked some guilt and pity. All of this is natural, however and this is very important, IT IS NOT PRODUCTIVE. It is very important that your H understands this.
Understand that not everything will change at once, you have said that he has made some changes, this is positive, no-one knows if he will keep it up. Have you shared this positive with him?

One of my biggest problems was that I never thought my W would leave. I took her for granted and treated her badly. One of the reasons I did this was because I did not realize the consequences of my actions. I unfortanately had to realize the consequences before I woke up. I lost the one person whom I truely loved, our marriage is now over. I hurt her so much. I have alot of anger and guilt for the things I have done. I pray it does not take this to get through to your husband. Does he know that you are contemplating divorce?

There are many ways to open his eyes.
1. give him the DR book and ask him to read it - the title should say it all "Divorce Remedy"
2. Keep your distance
3. Work on yourself, your H will see you moving on and this may wake him up.

Some things I wish my W had done:
Tell me: "If we dont start working on our relationship, we are headed for a divorce"
I wish she had conveyed her feelings to a mutual friend, while this may have humilated me, I would rather have know how serious the situation was Vs. Divorce. We both have a mutual friend which would had called me and told me to start getting serious about my relationship.
I wish she had insisted on counseling
I wish she had given me DR and asked me to read it.
My W is a wonderfull woman, all I fault her for is enabling me, she and I both wish she would have stood up for more than she did. She let me get away with too much, this in no way excuses my behavior, however it made it easier for me to continue down the wrong path.
Divorce is such a trajedy, such a senseless trajedy. I have 2 and 4 year old boys whom I feel I have let down in the worst way.
XW and I still see each other, talk and joke. We are the exception to the norm. I still have hopes for us and our family.

I hope I have given you something to think about.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/24/05 09:59 PM
Gene,

I don't know if anything will soften my heart. Some days I feel like I am just ready to move on. Mainly b/c this is try #5 for me. I do realize that it is only try #1 for H.

I had a talk w/ my mom this weekend. She said I should NOT try to force a decision - that one day it will just come to me. That right now I am just struggling b/c of all the hurt, b/c I have Hope, b/c he says what I want to hear, etc. She said to hang tough b/c as the hurt heals; I will know just know without a doubt what the right decision for me is. She also said she hates to see me hurting. I don't really think it's hurt anymore. I think it's sadness. I am sad b/c deep down I know it's over.

I am so glad I could help others. Sometimes I think if H heard this from someone else or if he would find the various M saving websites and read through things; he might understand....but then reality sets in and I know the truth.

A few months ago, I was talking to a friend, who said that they wanted to smack him upside the head and set him straight. I told this friend to go ahead - talk to him. I said that I don't keep anything from him, so feel free to repeat anything I have said, etc. Well, later that evening I got a call from my friend. She was just a frustrated as I was after talking to my H. She said he was like a brick wall. He got defensive and wasn't listening to her either.

I don't know if I can continue to do this. It's so hard on me emotionally. I continue hanging on by a thread; I get just enough from him to have HOPE and then that hope is shattered again and again.

The whole process just makes me lose HOPE and wish it was over, so that I could finally move on.

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/24/05 10:44 PM
Michelle,

I have to agree with your Mom. Smart lady. I am not saying that you should stay in your M or not, but when you are giving it time like this, the right decision will come to you. I do feel for you. Having someone verbally smack your H upside the head, and it still not sink in, I don't even know what to say. My W and Mom are close. My Mom also tried to verbally smack me upside the head, and I did not get it until now, so maybe there is some hope for your H, it just may be too late in your eyes even if he does come around. It makes me sad just reading your sitch, since I see so many similarities to my own. I am trying to change so hard, and it just may be too late for my W. Now I just have to work on me and worry about her and my children's happiness. Since you said your H is saying all the right things, or at least some of the right things, maybe he really is doing all that he knows right now. That is progress. But, if it is the same things he was doing the other 4 times as well, then I don't know. I wish I could smack him upside the head, and then have him smack me upside the head. Might do us both some good.

You are a good person. Everything you have said to everyone here on the board speaks volumes about you. I breaks my heart to think that your H could drive away someone who is so genuine and good. It lowers my expectations of my own M. I almost don't know how to show the changes I am working on to my W, and if it would do any good at this point if she even noticed. I am very humbled right now, and your H should be as well. It almost feels wierd in that I almost feel like begging for him, how attractive huh? I hope this is just a blue day for you, and you are feeling better about your M tomorrow. Please keep letting us know how it goes.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/24/05 11:06 PM
Gene,

This line made me LOL!!!
Quote:

I wish I could smack him upside the head, and then have him smack me upside the head. Might do us both some good.

Thanks for the compliments! You are a great sounding board...for everything. It breaks my heart, too, but I try to look at it positively. All the hard times with him will make me really appreciate the small, little, positive times in a new and different R; whether w/ H or someone else.

Trust me, your W will see the changes; no matter how small. It just may take a little time. I also want to tell you that although we have similar sitch's - this is the first time your W has asked for a separation; not the 5th. Keep your chin up. Do not lower your M expectations. I once read somewhere that if we expect failure, we get failure, but if we expect winning, we become winners. I would like to see you become a winner.

As for me, I am just going to take it one day at a time. Eventually, I will know the right decision.

Later gator,
M
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/24/05 11:26 PM
Michelle -
Well, I don't have a lot of advice to give, as I am sitting on the other side of the fence. However, I do want to thank you for continuing to post and share your feelings. So many of the things you say I have heard from my W. Heard, but I am not sure I understood as well as when you say them here. When you talked about not being hurt but sad - that really hit home.

I do wish the best for you and your H. I hope you can find some of the feeling you had for him. But it gives me hope that you want to.

D
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/25/05 03:53 AM
Michelle,

Glad I could add a little jocularity into this all. Humor is needed all the time. Does your H have a good sense of humor?

Hopefully, in a new R or back with your H, the happy fun times will not be little. If there is anything I learned from Michele's books and tapes and coach, a relationship can be great. I have learned how to stop being angry. I have learned that I need to stop controlling, still need to learn how to do that. I want to have open times where my W and I can talk about our needs and how they are being met, and how those that aren't can be met. That is one thing that makes it so hard for the H of a WAW to back off on. I see things that can make it better, and I am so ready to implement those to make the M better, but my W, similar to you, needs her space and not talk about the R, while seeing me do things to prove I am changing, which would make the M better. It is a difficult conundrum (spelling?). The key is patience. Again, in your case, your H does not know that he needs the patience. I will be saying a prayer for him to learn, and a prayer for you to come to a decision when the time is right, and that the decision is right for you and your happiness. As for me, I have not bothered my W, and I am letting her come to me when she is ready to talk or needs something. I would like to offer her more help tomorrow, and let her know that I am not trying to control anything with this offer (I know that sounds contradictory to the last sentence). It looks like W got her student loan, and may not need my help.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/25/05 04:26 PM
Gene,

Yes, he does have a good sense of humor.

Be happy for her. Congratulate her on the student loan. Kepp letting her come to you.

I feel like talking to H, but at the same time I do not want to give him false hope. I know that I need to spend time with him to see the changes. I just hope that our time together is spent enjoying each others company and not talking about our R, at least not yet. I want to see more effort and changes before getting into the R discussion.

I'll keep you posted as to how our evening goes Saturday. I am avoiding contact until then. Should I contact him to arrange the meeting since I was the one asking for the time and space?

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/25/05 05:02 PM
Remeber how I was getting upset (for lack of a better word) that he wasn't out on message boards or M saving sites? The response was maybe he isn't aware of them, etc.

Well, I was just cleaning out my e-mail box here at work and found an e-mail I sent him Jan 3 - with the link to divorcesource.com (this site) asking him what he thought about the Marriage Breakthrough video tapes. Obviously, he didn't take any time to surf it.

What should I think about this news?

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/25/05 05:19 PM
Michelle,

It may be a good idea to confirm your Saturday plans in an email maybe. That would not give him a lot to begin talking R.

I just looked at divorcesource.com. It is not this site, divorcebusting.com, but it may have a link in there somewhere. Thanks for pointing that one out. I am going to buy another book from there to help with my sitch. The site looked kind of big, so he may not have seen this site linked in. I didn't in my quick search. Is there any way you could check credit card purchases to see if he bought anything from there?
Posted By: hope33 Re: Advice - 01/25/05 05:52 PM
I can tell you something my W did that got my attention about not talking about R. She told me that she did not want to talk about our Relationship right now, that it was too painfull, and that since I did not respect that from now on if I brought it up she would walk off. She never left, but I realized how much it actually hurt her and I gradually stopped talking about R. Partly because I knew it was driving her away, partly because it hurt her and partly because it got us no-where. Maybe telling him this and enforcing your boundries (by walking away) will enable him to understand. It would be very hard, but it may be worth a shot. If you try something like this dont expect perfection, for instance if he talks about R every time you meet, consider it a success if only talks R every other time. Baby steps. What would be the first indication that things are heading in the right direction, however small?
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/25/05 06:59 PM
Gene,

If he did purchase anything out there it would have been on his debit card, which is attached to his checking. That's another painful subject....when I moved out we agreed I would take this bill, he would keep that bill and so on. We also agreed that we would keep our accounts the same.

About two weeks out, I found out (from his sister) that H opened new checking and savings accounts. I also learned that he got a new check card, etc. It killed me. It hurt me b/c 1) he was so adamant that I not separate our finances or insurance or gym memberships, etc. and 2) b/c I heard it from his sister; not him.

Why did he open new accounts and change his direct depoist, etc. and separate our finances? I asked him this; he said it was so he could show me he was being responsible with money (since that was such a HUGE issue between us). He thought it would help us. Then why not discuss it with me? He said he did - right after he told me that he was filing for a D.

All it did was hurt me. I think it hurt me b/c we did not discuss it - he just decided he wanted new accounts. I was not consulted. I felt like it was so I wouldn't see what he was purchasing, how much his checks were, etc.

A month or so later (July or August), I finally opened my own checking. About a month ago (mid-Novemeber), I opened a savings and got a new check card, too. Up until then, he could see everything I was doing.

All these little hurts just add up and now I don't care what he is doing. I find it really hard to want to be w/ someone who continues to do things that hurt me. I mean, why get me to agree to keep our accounts joint and then go open his own? I felt like it was spiteful.

It's kind of like one day, shortly after I moved out, we were arguing and he just came out and said he was going to file for a D. After the shock wore off; I just started crying. He said he was going to file b/c that's what I wanted. I said fine. Then Monday, I announced to our friends and family that we had separated and were getting a D. I talked to him shortly after that and he said he didn't want to get D. Maybe the threat of a D was his way of trying to manipulate me???

When I did the forgiveness exercises, I did one forgiving him for constantly using manipulation to get what he wants. I had forgotten about the new accoutns and the threat of D until you asked if I could check his credit cards....wow - it still stings.

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/25/05 07:18 PM
Michelle,

I am running out of things to tell you. I thought I was bad, and I was. Actually, my W saw how much my last paycheck was, and now how much financially she is struggling, and it made her mad. I just opened another account so that I can get direct deposit without her seeing it. I thought I was helping her, but it was a bad move to not tell her. I will tell her tonight, as well as offering to help her more. Can you think of a way to offer that would not seem controlling.

I agree with Hope a little. If he does not talk about the R but maybe only 50% of the time, would that be progress? If things started to change, what would be some of the first signs? Have you finished the book to the point where maybe you could give it to him on Saturday? Happy Birthday, by the way.
Posted By: Phoenixdeux Re: Advice - 01/25/05 07:30 PM
Michelle,

From my own personal situation, I often asked for forgiveness about many things and my W indicated that it does little good when I just repeat the same thing I'm apologizing for.

In your situation, I think it may be very difficult to forgive things that are presently a problem and haven't resolved in any way. I know that working on a problem is difficult when you haven't let go of the resentment and forgiven your S, but a blanket pardon, even when he continues the same old things probably isn't reasonable either. Continue to think of different ways to approach the solution. Maybe there were times when things worked out okay and think about what was different about those times. Change things up a bit.

Wes
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/25/05 07:45 PM
Gene,

I was just loooking at the other website and I don't see a link to this site, but I would hope that he would take initative and look for other things himself. I might ask him about it Saturday night. Casually . . . I will not make a big deal about it. I might just say, "btw, I found a few websites on saving marriages that I found helpful. Have you found any that you like? If he hasn't looked for that kind of thing; I will try to not be crushed and I will work on my "act as if" if doesn't bother me that he isn't making an initative to save "us".

As far as offering to help your W financially, I would say something like, "My pay check was more than usual. I wanted to give you some additional money." and then just be ready with the cash/check or however you help her normally. I wouldn't give her a check from your new account - trust me, women are sneaky. If I had his account number, I could easily find out his balance, pay amount, etc. b/c I know his social security number, passwords, etc.

YES, YES, YES - tell her about the new account. I don't care what you say, but tell her about it. You could tell her that you opened it so that you would not make her have to keep up w/ both of you writing checks or getting money from the one account or whatever "positive" reason. I don't know that I would say - I opened it so you wouldn't see how much my checks were and get upset. You can tell her the real reason later. Much later, after you are back together and living the happily ever-after. Whatever you do, tell her. Look at it this way - if she took out the student loan w/o your knowledge, how would you feel? If the situation was reversed; would you want her to tell you she opened an account? Let me just tell you that if you are trying to regain her trust and faith in you, then you need to tell her. It may still hurt her a little, but it will be so much better upfront and coming from you.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/25/05 07:47 PM
hope33,

Thanks for the suggestion. Usually when I walk off, he follows me. It's more than just following me around though. I am not sure how to describe it. It's like he wants so much for me to give him the answer he wants that he "badgers" me. He will go on and on about whatever; until I eventually I give in. Not b/c this is what I want to do, but more to get him to stop. He will follow me, and then block me in a corner and continue asking me why we can't work things out. The only way I have been able to get away from the sitch is to agree w/ him.

H is controlling and emotionally abusive. He doesn't ever hit me, but he will hold me against my will. In the early years, I called the cops on him b/c he would scare me. At one point, I thought about putting a restraining order against him to get him to leave me alone. When we have broken up in the past, he would just show up wherever I was, leave notes, cards, flowers, etc on my car. His behavior, when I have left before, borders on stalking.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/25/05 09:17 PM
Wes,

I was hoping that by forgiving him of pthe past manipulations; I would not allow him to continue to manipulate me. I haven't had any contact with him since I did the forgiveness exersises.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/25/05 09:39 PM
FYI -

I felt I should change my login name since I will soon be asking H if he found any sites like this. The other was too easy for him to figure out.

M
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/25/05 09:52 PM
Michelle -
If it is not too much to ask, would you mind poking in my thread to give me your thoughts? So many things you have said resonate with me and are things I have heard from or seen in my W. I think you might have some really valuable insights.

I have just posted a pretty good overview of where I see I am and need some help thinking through what I should be doing

any input would be greatly appreciated!

D
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/25/05 10:06 PM
Hey, good name change. It sounds more hopeful than how your were sounding yesterday. I will be praying that he has checked out some more websites. Patience and baby steps. Hope he learns that and is able to slowly show you those, not tell you.

Have you found any other promising websites? I found that if you use google and type in divorce busting, there are some other resources on the right side of the page. I bought an ebook from savethemarriage.com. It, and the comments that W made, showed me that I was also being a control freak. DinWa pointed out a book to me. I am going to see if I can find it tonight and begin reading it this week. It is on my thread if you are interested in pointing it out to your H. Can't remember the name right now, but it has to do with anger manangement and control issues. There is also savemymarriage.com that has seminars. There is one in my area in a few months. I mentioned it to W on Saturday, to bad results. As you and others say, got to stop mentioning the R.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/25/05 10:22 PM
DinWa,

You got it. I will read your thread....give me a few moments, I am still at work.

I don't know if I ever sent you my reply to an earlier question you asked me about a comment I made about meeting my H.
Quote:

H was extremely rude to me when we met. Right from the beginning I thought he was an ass.....

Did you always feel this way, or is this something you have decided recently as your R has gotten works and you have felt the need to move on? I ask this because I think when people are sad or depressed about something they tend to look interpret everything in a very negative fashion and lose sight of all that is good. Do you think there is some of this in your comments?

Yes, I have always felt this way. We used to laugh about how he was rude to me and then as soon as I walked off he was asking our mutual friend who I was and telling her I was HOT!

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/25/05 10:40 PM
Gene,

Actually, I am not sure I am more hopeful, but I thought that was a good name for me. I still have the reality that H isn't taking any initiative smacking me in the face, but as per my usual, I am a forever hopeless romantic.

My hopes have changed since this weekend. I did a lot of soul searching, reflection, forgiving, journaling and letter writing, asking certain individuals to forgive me for miscommunications or other actions that may have hurt them. I am just concentrating on me. I am hoping to finish DB before Saturday so that maybe I can "accidentally" leave it behind.

I have found savemymarriage.com, divorcesource.com, divorceasfriends.com and this one. Honestly, after I found this one, I didn't try looking anymore.

Are you talking about the book related to Anger? I think I saw it when I was buying DB. Maybe I can find a way to casually mention it to H. I asked him when he was going to C for the money issues to talk about that, too, but no such luck. The only way I get results is to demand he do it or lose me foreve - and I HATE being that person. I do not like to "nag"; nor do I like to continue asking for things; hence why I leave. Seems like that is the only thing that wakes H up.

Thanks!
M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/26/05 02:46 AM
M,

The book I was referencing is called The Anger Trap by Les Carter. Thanks to DinWa for pointing it out. I have only started reading, and I see me so well in this book. I set stupid rules, and would blow up when they were not met. I hope to read it before the weekend is over. So much to learn for all of us.

Where did you get your forgiveness exercises? Does that also work for forgiving ourselves?

For people to change, they have to want it bad enough to force their way through to build the good habits in and stop the bad habits. Stopping smoking is not an easy thing, but it probably is a sinch compared to changing the issues were have ingrained into our personalities for 30 or more years (in my case). As I read this book, I am realizing that I will not be ready to go back even if asked for a little while longer. I thought I was doing good in that the anger had not flared. Well, I have a couple of tools to try when I get upset, but I have not dealt with the deeper fears that really trigger the anger. So much work to do. It will be the same with your H. I wish he would start getting that initiative to really get going. I pray he surprises you in that way on Saturday.

As for tonight. I asked W if we could talk for a moment. The first thing out of her mouth was not more of this discussion. I said no quickly. I told her that she was right in that it was not fair. It is only 4 months until she will be flying. If she needs anything. She said she has it all under control, and to just pay the child support. I told her no problem, and that the offer stands. I did not get a chance to mention the other account. I will get that out on Saturday, which is the next time I am sure I will talk with her.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/26/05 03:13 PM
Gene,

I got my forgiveness exercises from a book called: Love, Honor & Forgive. I also got some advice from people here and my C. I don't have the book with me, but basically there are 6 statements of forgiveness that you work through. The book tells you to say them aloud and let it go. The C and others suggested writing them and then burning it. I did both. I wrote them down; then read each aloud and then burned it.

Yes, I would think that it would work for forgiving yourself also. Just a little differently. I am sure you can modify them to fit your purposes.

It's pretty short - the 6 statements, so if you want I will write them to you, but it will have to be later (when I get home) since I don't have the book with me.

I have ahd that book since before I moved out - and I am just now finding myself ready to do them. So be patient, you will know when the time is right.

M

P.S. H sent me the following text message last night - "I know I am not supposed to talk to you, but I really miss you and I love you with all of my heart."

I have not responded. Should I? I thought about saying "Thanks for the message and honoring my request for time." Or something simple like that.
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/26/05 04:28 PM
M -
one thing that hit home with me when I was in pursuit mode w/W was when I would try to discuss R or what she was thinking, she'd tell me:

"You just work on yourself and your R with the kids. That is all you can do right now"

Kind of let me know to back off - and essentially, she was just telling what the DB book would have told me had I read it yet!

D
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/26/05 07:47 PM
Michelle,

If you get a chance, please do post the 6 statements. I have the feeling there are some things I will have to forgive my W and my father for as I peel back this onion. Onion is the correct term. Leaves a bad taste in my mouth, which keeps my W away, and can bring tears.

As much as I would like to say run to your H with open arms after the text msg, mostly 'cause that is what I would want my W to do. He has to make the changes and show you. I think a, "Thanks for giving me the space I continue to need as we each work through our issues," kind of response would be good. That way it kind of says to not push me, but I am still here.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/26/05 08:45 PM
Gene,

Thanks for the suggestion. I will do something like that. He's probably thinking I am ignoring him since he sent it last night and I have not yet replied. OOPS.

I will copy the statements for you later this evening. Not sure if I put this in the previous post, but I wrote a letter to my mother-in-law asking her forgiveness, too. I remembered H recently told me that I had hurt her feelings by making her feel excluded at one of the family functions a few years ago. So I wrote her explaining that I wasn't excluding her by not asking her to cook or clean at my house, but rather I was wanting her to be able to sit back and relax. Then I asked her to forgive me for the incident. Kind of felt like when you go through a 12-step program and you start asking others to forgive you (my father was in AA; so I am familiar w/ the 12-steps). It was a nice feeling. I just hope she appreciates what I am doing.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/26/05 09:44 PM
Gene and DinWa,

I sent him this - "Thanks for giving me the space I continue to need." I didn't want to put as we continue to work...b/c I felt like that might give false hope. Remember, that I am feeling like I am the only one working. I thought about adding "Continue to work on yourself." b/c I don't know that he is doing anything.

He responded, naturally... "Not a problem. Take care and I will talk to you soon." I am not responding to this message.

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/26/05 10:00 PM
sniff sniff. That kind of smells like progress. Good idea not to answer the last text from him. Maybe he is getting the message, at least a little. Be prepared for some back sliding. It is difficult from this side of the fence. I feel I am making progress, and maybe I have, but then I get caught up in the "I'm changing" pattern and it pushes her away. Maybe you could have some sort of plan to gently stop him if he starts R talk. Something that tells him I need space and to not talk about this right now. I also think maybe something to reward him if he does keep the conversations off the R. That is touchy because it could give him false hope again. Just thoughts. I will think some more when I am at the gym and see if there is any ideas of gentle rebuffs and very minor rewards bouncing around this thick skull of mine. Of course that is assuming you would even want to go that route. Then again, this is the first workout of my new life, so my arms may hurt so bad, that I cannot type.
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/26/05 10:31 PM
M -
Just don't expect H to be a mind reader about what you want. It is one thing to want him to be working on the R and see that he is not so inclined. Fine to be pissed with him about that. But if he is not doing anything and you have not said, "Hey buster, I need to see the following changes in you" then it is unfair. I am not saying that is the case, I just want to urge you to keep an open mind and to "Ask for what you want". What is that , step 2 or 3?

D
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/26/05 10:59 PM
DinWa,

I know, I know - don't set him up for failure. I just sent him an instant message asking if we could talk about OR tonight instead of on our date.

I want to ask a couple of questions - like what has he been doing to work on himself? What sites has he found helpful in dealing with the R.? Has he read any good books regarding Rs? That kind of thing - to find out if he is trying to improve anything. Or maybe he is just doing stuff on his own w/o help or assistance.

If he hasn't done any of the above, then I will tell him specific things I would like, like for him to read DR, for him to set short-term goals, maybe even for us to set a few goals together, etc.

I just need to know how committed he really is. I mean it's one thing to "say" you will do whatever it takes to make us work and be happy together, but it is a whole different thing to actually "do" the actions to get you there.

M
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/27/05 12:33 AM
M -
Us men are funny. Most of us don't "get it" until our W's whack us over the head with a 2x4. There are tons of us that should have signed on as "oblivious" but unfortunately that name was taken. However, it seems your H requires something more substantial. Perhaps a 4x4 or house dropped on his head. Hmm.
Quote:

I want to ask a couple of questions - like what has he been doing to work on himself? What sites has he found helpful in dealing with the R? Has he read any good books regarding Rs? That kind of thing - to find out if he is trying to improve anything. Or maybe he is just doing stuff on his own w/o help or assistance.

You might just tell him you need to see evidence that he is committed to your R, and what this means to you. Sounds like it means he needs to gain some self-awareness about how he is acting and how it affects others (namely you). I guess it is a bit of an ultimatum you are giving him, and I can understand that. When you have one foot out the door, why hang around when someone won't meet you halfway? I tell you, if my W gave me the offer you are giving your H I would be all over it.

One thing is that maybe you need to be a bit more specific about what it will take your needs. Just think about a short list of things you want to see him do differently. Maybe not R related - but like fixing money issues - and say, for now, work on this and I will remain open to reconciliation.

You might also want to read DR together and get together to discuss every couple days - that way you can see if he is "getting it"

Hope that helps. your input to my sitch yesterday was very helpful.

D
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/27/05 01:30 PM
Well, M, what happened? Did you call your H? How did it go?

I agree with DinWa. If my W offered what you are offering, I would be all over it. I have just started peeling back the onion of my life layer after layer, and there are many more to go, and I am sure it is the same with your H (and just about everyone in this world). It is nice to know what we are doing wrong. My W tried to tell me, but I was not listening. Now that I am listening, she no longer wants to tell me.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/27/05 03:51 PM
Gene,

Yes, I called. We talked for 2 hours! Which, btw, is why I forgot to look up the 6 steps for you. Well, it started out where I asked him the question - what is he doing to work on himself? He said reading the book on money issues to remind himself what he learned in counseling, he said reading a R book (I think it's men are like waffles and women are like speghetti - it's about communication differences) and reading the bible for inspiration. However, I was a little disappointed b/c we bought those 2 books before I even left - 8 months later he is still reading them? I let it go and didn't question him anymore about it. I was like "Good! What are you doing to work on OR (us)?" . He said that's kind of hard since you are not here working with me. I said true, but there are still things you could be doing, to make sure we are good together again. I asked about his personal goals, he basically said he didn't have any b/c he only wanted us to fix things and get back together.

At this point, he was getting a bit defensive. He started telling me that it seemed like I had this check list of things I was expecting and he felt like he wasn't getting a lot of checks. I said that I had no hidden agenda; that I just wanted to see how committed he was and I was trying to get a feel for his plans/goals.

I said I would like to see him work on his anger. He then said "I DON'T HAVE AN ANGER PROBLEM". So I said "Then why are you yelling at me?". It just went back and forth where he kept yelling or talking really loud (I could put the phone on the counter and just stand there and hear him clearly).

After the first 45 minutes of this bantering, I said I was sorry I contacted him. I did not want to fight. I was only trying to see what he was actively doing to "fix us" as he always says. I told him I would see him Sat. and no R talk. He calmed down slightly, and continued to talk, saying he was trying to pay off debt as he could and that he just wanted me back. He said he wanted to do things around the house w/ me, etc. I asked him what changed? He used to let me do it all - so why did he now want to do it with me. I told him that I know I should just accept that he is offering, but b/c of our repeated history of him helping out in the beginning and then slacking off shortly after, I needed to understand his motive for wanting to do the mundane household things together. I asked if it was b/c he was doing them himself and realized what a pain in the butt they are and how much better it was to have company while doing them? He said yes, basically.

Anyway, I said that I would really like him to work on the anger. I said he didn't have to go to therapy, but that he could just read a book on controlling his anger. This seemed ok, no agreement, but no argument either. I was rather proud of myself...normally I would have cried or been disappointed and just stopped trying. But this time, I was relatively calm. When he would tell me that he just wanted to take care of me, I would ask him so what would you be doing to "take care of me"? I asked what would he be doing, specifically what actions was he going to take in order to meet my needs. I thought I put him on the spot, so I said you don't have to answer right now. Just think about it. What will you be doing differently? Then he said, first of all I need to know what you need me to do to meet your needs. I was like ah-ha...getting there. I did let him watch tape 1 w/ me. I said so do you want a full list of things I want/need or do you want me to just give you two or three and start with those. He said he wanted the whole list eventually, but he'd start w/ 2-3 upfront. I felt like he wanted to continue talking, but I was ready to end the conversation - 2 hours of R talk was about all I could take, especially w/ the rocky beginning.

After that, I went to work out - needed to release tension. Then I went about my nightly routine, dinner, a little tv, journaling and then to bed. I will get you the steps today/tonight. Writing myself a note and no R talk should keep my mind on track!

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/27/05 03:56 PM
I forgot to mention, when I suggested he work on his anger; he immediaely said he didn't have an anger issue. I, of course, provided examples. Then he said I was reacting emotionally and if ______ (one of my girlfriends who encouraged my to S) thinks that b/c of that incident I need to work on my anger, well she doesn't know me. That was just one time.....blah, blah, blah. I said she wasn't there. I am asking you to work on your anger. That seemed to shut him up for a moment!

But thinking about it today; she was there. But she didn't say anything about it. It is still me who wants him to work on the anger.

M
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/27/05 04:07 PM
M -
Well, that sounds like progress. Does it feel like progress, especially after having some time to think about it? It sounds like you handled yourself very well. Congrats.

Between Gene and I, I think you have 2 votes for the Anger Trap as a good resource for your H. I didn't think I had an issue either, then I read the book and a lot of things made sense. Of course, I was then instantly labeled by my W, but that is another story.

D
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/27/05 05:25 PM
DinWa,

It felt like progress, but I took it too far...this morning. I sent him the following email.
Quote:

I have been reading a few things on the web. I found the following insightful and exactly how I feel. I have included the parenthesis and the underlining as the site I was on uses a LOT of abbreviations. The underlining is so that you will understand why I am floundering and untrusting of going through this yet again. I hope it helps explains, better than I have been able to, where I am emotionally. . .

”I'm really not trying to rain on anyone's parade...I do admire each and every one of you who are working so hard to turn your marriages around... but I get tired of hearing the WAS's (WAS = Walk Away Spouse) get villianized as if they just overnight lost their minds and decided to hurt everyone in sight. Maybe a few of them did... but I'd bet the majority were hurting for so long, they finally just decided to cut off the appendage rather than keep dealing with the pain. So when you question why they can't immediately get it that you've changed for the better, why you're having to deal with their confusion for eight months or a year-- it's because they have at least that much time's worth of pain surrounding their heart... and yeah, they had their share in causing the pain, but just like you get frustrated when you feel that you're doing all you can do and it's not enough... that's how they felt. Maybe they didn't have the tools, so they didn't communicate in the right way... but somehow, they were trying and felt just as pushed away as you all are feeling now while you're trying to reach them again.

So I have one piece of advice... please, please, please make sure the changes you are making are for real changes. Don't just do it to please the WAS, because that type of change tends to be temporary... and nothing will hurt your case with the WAS more than for them to discover that they opened up to you again in any way only to have you repeat the previous hurtful behavior (for me it has been 5 times now). Make the changes because you truly believe that you will be a better person for it... and then be patient and understand that your S (S= spouse) is confused and angry and hurting... and they aren't really trying to make your life a living H (H= usually means husband, but in this case it means HELL), they're just trying to figure out a way to stop the pain they are feeling... and right now, they truly believe (right or wrong) that YOU are the cause of that pain. (I no longer believe YOU are the cause of my pain, but more of how we interact w/ one another and how we treat each other is painful to me).

Believe me, I'm really not trying to come down on any of you or trying to make you feel guilty or anything. Really, I'm just venting-- but I also hope that my venting might help ya'll understand why your S's (Spouse’s) actions might seem a little bonkers to you. “

I bought a book that should help us have a better relationship. I am also buying myself a book on Healing and/or getting Miracles.

I do find it ironic that you surf the net looking at MAC for me and here I am surfing the web trying to find ways to improve us. What does that tell me about the effort you are putting forth? I know that leaving me alone is very hard and takes a lot of effort. I appreciate your efforts to continue to give me the space I need. I feel this time is allowing me to heal and focus on what it is I want from a relationship. Thank you.

M

P.S. I think you are right, (friend) was there that night. I had forgotten, but in thinking about it this morning I remembered I rode w/ her there. FYI - She didn’t say anything to me about your anger. That is something I have mentioned to you before, like at darts when you would slam the table, or playing cards, etc. I hope that maybe if we both read the following recommended anger book - The Anger Trap by Les Carter - we will stop the “talking louder” thing that we get into. Trust me, I plan to read it, too. I could use a little more self-control myself.

What do you think? Maybe I should have left out the comment about him surfing for my make-up and not marital sites?

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/27/05 05:32 PM
He responded w/ the following....
Quote:

Ok, you yes I see what it says, but the truth of the matter is that in the process of you trying to heal and perhaps fix us, you hurt me and yes it is very frustrating for me because I know the changes are for real, but I feel like you do not care or will not accept that. I also think that there is a lot of truth in the point where they say you were probably trying before but that you did not have the right tools to communicate the problem to me, and so now to me as it also says that I am doing everything your like I dont know, I really do not know if you realize how hard it is on me, I feel like everyday is great for you, you have your own little world, that you get to play in that you keep me out of, and see for me the world is the same but I have changed and your not really in my world, its very hard for me because I love you so much and I want to take care of you totally, all of your needs, and I know that I can and that I want to, but again feel as if you will not let me. Sorry this is a bit long.

to which I replied....
Quote:

What you are forgetting is that you have said this to me before...and it didn't happen. You didn't take care of me. As far as me having my little world, yes, I suppose that is true. I have always made friends easily and I continue to work on me, but it's not the fabulous world you make it out to be. You also have your little world. You do things w/ friends and family. You have been spending more time w/ your mom and you talk about dancing w/ Lana (sp?) so you too have a separate world doing things w/ others to make this time more bearable. You are also forgetting that it is b/c of your selfishness and the lack of commitment from you previously that I left, amoung other things. So technically you are the enemy - meaning - the one that hurt me. I am sorry that in the process of healing my heart and trying to gain back who I am, hurts you.

I hate this...I feel like he keeps telling me that I am hurting him to elicit the sympathy I normally give him. However, through my reading, conversations, etc. I have learned that it's really more manipulation and I am not going to allow him to continue to manipulate me.

Any advice or suggestions on how to get out of this?
M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/27/05 06:44 PM
Just to catch you up to speed. here is the rest of it....

H replied:
Quote:

I do understand that I have said things before that did not occur, but that truely is not the case this time, but yes I know you cant see that, I wish that you could, as to my own world, not really the same from my point of view, I see Lana once a week, and we dance maybe once a month, you go home to your own cozy world, so to me they are nowhere close to the same but that is my opinion. I guess I am the enemy for you and you can choose to fix that or not, and I no longer lack commitment, and I guess to some extent the fact that you say you have to gain back you, its always you, where I see gain us back. If you want me to be perfect, I cant and I'm not, but then neither is anyone else, except God. I do believe you are trying but I still feel like you refuse to even give an inch, you make me feel like you enjoy being a prick as you always say, but I guess I will just have to deal with that, and yes you can say that by me saying that that I do not know you. I am not saying that you enjoy it, but that you make me feel as if you do, just my feelings. I know I always see it as easy and you generally do not. And you know I would think that even the fact that I was looking for MAC stuff for you online should say something to you, at least I do think about you, and I want us to be in a better place. yes I know we have bills and I am working very hard to fix that, but I did not say I was buying it today, but that it was something I thought you would like, like when you finish product A you could try that, but I feel like that does not even matter to you. I see so many people that do not even think of their spouse whether it be for make-up, dinner or whatever. I do think about you and want to make things better, as I said last night I want to know you, and really understand what in your mind makes you happy, so that I can give you those things, but all that comes down to you allowing me to do so.

Sometimes you make me feel like I want to fight with you, when in reality nothing could be further from the truth, I do not want to fight with you.

I responded:
Quote:

I didn't mean for my e-mail to cause all of this....I only wanted you to understand why I can't just come back overnight.

Remeber that H is very good at "saying" what I want to hear, like "I want to know you, and really understand what in your mind makes you happy, so that I can give you those things", but he has yet to deliver on any such promise.

H said:
Quote:

I understand, and I truely appreciate all your help I want to understand and help, and I want there to be an us.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/27/05 06:56 PM
What I really wanted to say was -
Quote:

I didn't mean for my e-mail to cause all of this....I only wanted you to understand why I can't just come back overnight.

I did not say that I couldn't see any changes, what I have said is the changes that you have made are the same ones that you have made before - taking care of the dogs, the house, etc. I need to know they are permanent (but I won't know this until if/when we get back together), which is why I stopped bring them up.

We both have separate worlds b/c we are separated. I don't know what makes mine "cozy" and yours is not.

You are not the enemy. I was using that word for lack of a better word, I apologize - it was a bad choice. I was only trying to get the point across that you are the one who hurt me. I think that gives me the right to keep you at a safe distance. I don't want to get hurt again. Therefore, until I feel my heart is safe - you will remain at a distance. It's the way it has to be. I know, I won't get hurt again - I can hear you loudly saying this. Sorry, if I am unable to just believe the words....and I want actions.

Sure, I could come back, tonight even, and we could live together, but I will not be happy and nothing you can do would make me happy if my heart has not healed.

Yes, right now it is about me. Is there a problem with me wanting to heal and let go of the past in order to have a brighter future?

I have NEVER asked you to be perfect; nor have I expected it. I am a pretty forgiving person, but when one person repeatedly takes me for granted, abuses my good-heart and kindness, and is controlling and emotionally abusive, well, I tend to not want to be around that person. Sorry. It's called self preservation. There is only so much mental abuse a single person can take before they cave. I have caved and no longer want any part of it.

I don't give an inch? Then why I am bothering to go on a "date" w/ you Saturday night?

I am sorry that my standing my ground makes you think I am being a prick and enjoying it. I am not....you have no idea how much I hurt, too.

Yes, you do see us getting back together as easy. It's not easy - there are a lot of issues that need to get resolved. You seem to be under the impression that we cannot resolve anything w/o being in the same house. I am scared to death to live with you and have to go through this YET AGAIN.

You looking at MAC on the Internet does say something…it says you like to shop. Period. Remember in counseling, when my therapist said that you can shop for you or me – you get the same satisfaction. I am very proud of you for not actually purchasing anything. That says more to me than you shopping for me. You are right, most men would not be shopping for their wives make-up, or anything for that matter, but most guys are not metrosexuals, either. You enjoy shopping; most men don’t.

I have to make myself happy before you can make me happier. Please allow me that b/c right now I am not happy.

However, I knew this would only make us really get into it. So why am I the one biting my tongue?

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/27/05 06:57 PM
Should I go dark?
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/27/05 11:16 PM
M,

You have had a busy day. I have been very busy here at work. I will post my thoughts tonight after the gym. I am sorry I could not get here sooner. I have to think, because I don't even know what to say.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/28/05 12:14 AM
I know what you mean; even I am at a loss for words.
. There is more....

H asks me if I want to go out for Valentines Day. I said you should see what I wanted to say to you instead of just " I didn't mean for my e-mail to cause all of this....I only wanted you to understand why I can't just come back overnight." - you may not feel that way. But I bit my tongue to avoid more fighting.

H responds - I just want us to be back together, and I want us to be happy with one another. We are going to disagree some. You push, I push. I know that we can be happy together, you havn't decided wether to agree or not, so we appear at odds, I want our marriage to work, I just wish you did also the way I do. But I do appreciate you biting your tounge to avoid further confict.

I replied - you want...., you want...., you want..... - that's pretty much all i hear.

H - When you say thats all you hear, I hear from you that it is wrong for me to want us to work. I guess to it seems that when we talk about an us it always seems like you are saying that is bad, and I just dont see that.

Me - I have never said it was wrong or bad for you to want us to be together. Now have I? That is your perception.

H - yes I was not saying that you said it was wrong or bad but that when you make that statement what it says to me is that you think its wrong for me to want that. Look I know you want to be happy, and all I am saying is that you can be happy with us as a couple, but yes I know you weren't as you told me yesterday, again, as you say its all I hear, so you know you could also change your tune, and maybe believe that you can be happy with me.

Me - You are misinterpreting what I am saying. I am only pointing out that everything you have said all day is all about YOU. I hurt YOUR feelings, YOUR opinion, YOU want....etc. No matter how much I try to make it about me - it never really is. You talk of me being happy w/ u, but if nothing really changes except that we do household chores together - well, then it's still the same for me. No emotional connection.

H - You know it really is all about you, I want to understand you, know you better, do more for you, but that kind of ties in to us being together to me. I want all of those connections with you, I do want to truely connect with you, more than anything really. I just wish you would believe. I know to you I always ask too much, but please just help me fix our marriage, and us so that we do not ever get here again.

Me - What else has changed? I mean really changed? You have learned to control your spending. I am proud of you, but that doesn't meet my emotional needs. So what else has changed? I WANT SPECIFICS.

H - Everyday I think about you, I want to call you and say hey, I'm on my way home where are you at? Can I do anything to help you or can I start dinner? Or should I lay out some shorts and a tee shirt so we can go walk or go to the gym, I think about what can I do to make your day easier is that fix you a lunch for tomorrow, or maybe just rub your feet when you get home, or at luch one day I just want to get a card for you just to let you know that I was thinking about you, I want to just hug you so that you can not only see but feel that I care about you and your well being. I want to be there when you have some need arise, whatever that is.

Honey, I know you have doubts, I wish you didnt, please believe in me, and know that I will not let you down, I do not want to fight or argue, just want us to have a great loving relationship where we depend and take care of one another. I love you so much and I wish this was not happening to us. I am sorry if I have upset you today, as I only wish to bring you joy.

Me - I am just saddened by the whole situation. Let's not talk about it Saturday night. Ok?

H - We won't I just want us to have fun on your special day. Please just trust me, I know its a lot to ask but give us a whirl, you will not be sorry, I dont want you to be saddened by us I want you to be happy about us. I wish you could just tell me what to do to fix everything, because I would in a heartbeat.

Me - I wish you could have woken up and been this person sooner...before I gave up and fell out of love.

H - I know me too, but please I am here now, don't give up on me.

Me - too late.

You want me to know that you will not let me down - how do you want me to know this? If I go by history I should never believe or trust you again. Even recent history.
So, please stop pushing...and let me slowly accept the changes you talk about.

H - ok

Me - Oh, btw, when I asked for specifics, I wasn't asking what you will be doing if I returned. You said those weren't the only changes. I was asking what other changes (presently) have you made that I am unaware of?

I don't know what to tell you about the things that I want b/c I don't want them from you. At least not at this point. I don't know if I can recover. I have forgiven you, yes, but I have not forgotten nor have I healed.

H - Well I am sorry you dont want them from me, I wish you did, I wish you could just love me, the way you talk you moved out and it stopped, and now its this big ordeal to get it back, yes I hurt you, but can you not even see a future with us, for you you always say too late, I hate that all it does is cause me more hurt and pain, but you talk about me not caring, It is not too late or ok maybe in your mind but you know what you set that up or you let somebody else tell you it was too late, I have never seen it that way, You need time but you dont know, its been 8 months, but I know I just want miracles, no I just want to have a happy marriage with my wife, you. You just make this so hard on me I want a buch of stuff just not from you cause your a [censored] head, well thank you. I still love you and want to be with you and I can only hope that you can stop this hurt and start working on us. I have to go so I can let the dogs out, goodnight, and I love you.

That was it. The end. he signed off. Is it just me looking at this negatively? But all I see is a lot of words - he wants to do this and that, but what is he doing to get there? He tells me he gets it; that he understands what I need, but he doesn't really get it. Does he?

M
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/28/05 01:17 AM
M -
What you're seeing here is a H in full pursuit mode, with predictable results. He is alienating you even more with the pressure and his continued desire to continue talking about the R.

We have all been there, probably every guy on this BB spent the first weeks, months pursuing his W full speed. Then they found DR and this BB and figured out that they were doing the wrong things.

Your H hasn't gotten this message yet and maybe doesn't have the tools he needs to so he can figure it out. The amazing thing is how predictable human nature is, on both sides.Did you give him DR? Might be useful for him.

I guess you can take some solace in the fact that this is pretty common dynamic. He is just human after all.

I do admire you for your committment to working on this. I keep learning from reading your posts - feel almost guilty like I am looking into my W's head!

D
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/28/05 01:34 AM
Gene,

I know what I posted was a lot. So thank you and whomeer else reads and offers advice/suggestions to help me out. I thought it would be good to see how we communicate. H is very good at being vague. He was a Political Science major when I met him afterall. He is great at saying what I need to hear, but not so good at "doing" anything.

Here are the 6 statements of Forgiveness I promised -
1) I forgive ________(person's name) for __________ (name the offense).

2) I admit that _________ (name the offense) was wrong.

3) I do not expect __________ (person's name) to make up for what he or she has done.

4) I will not use ___________ (name the offense) to define who __________ (person's name) is.

5) I will not manipulate ________ (person's name) with this offense.

6) I will not allow __________ (name the offense) to stop my personal growth.

The book says -"We get hurt by individual acts done by others... We must identify these acts and characteristics specifically if we are to get out from under their influence. ...we will define an adversary as the person who ruined my life. As you do this, you give that person (power). When it comes to forgiving yourself (step 4) is vital."

What I did was write up a list of things I needed to forgive. Then I started with the easier ones. It took me several monthss to complete for each item. Basically I wrote what the specific action was and then each of the 6 statements. After I was all done, I burned the list and all my writing freeing myself and others of those hurtful acts. It felt great...the burning ink & paper smelled bad, but it was good to finally let it go!

M
Posted By: koshka Re: Advice - 01/28/05 01:48 AM
M,

I've been reading your thread for a while. I congratulate you for having the strength of your commitment to work on your M instead of tossing it and H aside.

Does he understand? Maybe. From what I've read, though, it seems like understanding and knowing the right words are not his problems. His problem seems to be complacency. In his mind when things seem to be better, the need to work at making them good is gone. So, maybe he does understand what you need to get back together, but he doesn't understand the needs you have to meet for each other if you will be able to stay together.

DinWa's perfectly correct about how we pursue a WAW, too. Of course, sometimes even ending the pursuit is not enough. For guys who were distant (in my W's words I was "not engaged"), dropping pursuit while showing 180s is a very fine line to walk.

Did you ever decide if you would give H DB or DR to read or not? I know when I read the story in DR about the guy who used Hallmark and FTD to drive his uncertain wife away, I quit the heavy pursuit immediately.

Like the other guys said, thanks for showing us things from the WAW POV. I hope that you will be able to be the WBW. (I hope my W will walk back some day, too!)

Thanks,

K
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/28/05 01:49 AM
D,

I have not given him DR, yet. I am still reading the only copy I could find (which was DB). I hope to have it finished by Saturday and give it to him then.

Unfortunately, I am not finding much solace in knowing we are predictable. That's why I am asking for change. The bad thing is that I was trying to direct him w/o specifically telling him about this site. Last night, I asked if he had searched for marriage saving websites or anything on divorce. He said no. He said he only read the R articles that scrolled across his home page. Where's the effort?

LOL!! Don't feel guilty. I like helping others; even if it is at my own misery!

It's cold and rainy here tonight. Which is why I am being lazy. Darts was cancelled b/c the other team dropped out. So I am ordering pizza, watching the tube and reading DB. No work out tonight. Bad girl!

M
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/28/05 02:42 AM
M,

I still don't know what to say. It sounds like he still does not get it. It sounds like he is blaming you for you leaving. This is going to be a tough nut to crack. Sounds like Dbing to the max. Only thing I can think of is try turning the tables a little. Treat him like he treated you. Or maybe just give a few situations, and tell him a friend treated her H like he treats you (leaving that part out). It is all hypothetical. Go on for a few examples. Hell, use one of us here, and how we treated our W. Hopefully he will see that what we have done in the past has really hurt our W, and that is why our M is on the rocks so badly. If that gets through to him, point out that is the kind of hurt that you have experienced, and it hurts even more that he either refuses to acknowledge it, or if he does not see it, he refuses to find out what he has done to hurt you. Get him a copy of The Anger Trap, and tell him not to call until he has finished the book (just a thought). If all that does not work, then I would say to go dark for a little while.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/28/05 03:02 PM
Thanks for everything. I agree with you - he still doesn't "get it" as much as he tells me he does. Maybe I will copy your sitch and e-mail to him. See what kind of response I get. What do you think?

M
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/28/05 03:31 PM
M -
BTW - On your "should I go dark" question. I was thinking about that last night. I don't know that I would go dark, but I think you should hold off on the dates w/H. If he is not getting the clue, your agreeing to spend time with him is probably reinforcing the wrong behavior. It gives him hope that things are tracking the right way when it does not sound like they are in your mind. I suggest holding off until he starts working at it.

D
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/28/05 04:44 PM
D,

Thanks. Our "date" is supposed to be to celebrate my b-day...which is Saturday. Are you suggesting that I not go? He asked me out for Valentine's and I am using work as an excuse not to go. I think I would rather go out and have dinner w/ friends, but I do not yet have any such plans. It would be less stressful that way.

Gene,

I am taking your advice. I copied 2 people's sitch (people that I have been talking to) and I put them in a word doc. I have deleted any links (so that he will not be able to follow that to DB site - I still am not sure I want to have him reading all of my threads) and I am going through them to take out all the abbreviations (so he will inderstand them all).

I have also deleted the 'M' I sign the bottom of my comments w/. I have tried to clean it up (so to speak) so that it will not necessarily sound like me talking.

ALL,
Our couples counselor just e-mailed both of us about going to a weekend retreat - Here is what the e-mail said:
Quote:

Attached it a brochure telling about a couples retreat that we have set up.
The speakers will be Jack and Carole Mayhall. They have traveled all over the world speaking to different groups on couples relationships and on what the Bible says and how it works out in a practical way. We would like for you both to join us and a few other couples for a week-end. It will be worth your time. Please consider it.

Any thoughts about this? We have not talked to them since December.
Thanks,
M
Posted By: koshka Re: Advice - 01/28/05 06:17 PM
M,

Do you know anything about the program the retreat uses? W and I attended an ImagoTherapy Weekend in Mar. 2003 and it was helpful to us, at least until things got bad last year. I have heard good things about Retrouvaille, but I know that my W will not consider doing anything to work on OR now.

It seems to me that if you have any reason to believe the retreat would be good for you, H, and your M, then it's a better way to spend your time than a date would be. As DinWa said, you give the impression of rewarding the wrong behavior with the date. I think you would send the message, "Listen, buster, there's a lot of work remaining" by suggesting the retreat vs a date.

Good luck,

K
Posted By: hks Re: Advice - 01/28/05 07:24 PM
This is my first post to you. However, I have been following threads from DinWa and Koshka.

I read the dialouge you had with your H. You are are saying exactly the same things my W has said to me for the last 8 months. You have almost quoted my W verbatim. Your H is saying many of the same things I have said in the past. I am trying to get some insight into my W's perspective on this because it is very confusing to me.

You and my W share a common phrase "You just don't get it." Like your H, I think I do get it, but also like your H, I am probably wrong. Could you point to something specific your H could do or say that would indicate to you that he does, indeed, "get it"?

Like your H, I validate my W and her feeling that we did not have the emotional connection she feels she needs in a M. I also accept responsibility for my lack of emotional availability that drove my W and into the arms of OM. It seems to me that the one thing that my W wants me to agree with her about and which I just cannot, is that it is just "too late." She has often said that if I could have shown her I understood her before she lost hope things may have been different, but now she just can't see herself returning to the M, although she does not want a divorce and all of the consequences that will flow from it.

I am sure this is part of me not "getting it", but when your H says that he wants to do things for you, why do your interpret that to mean that it is still "all about him"? Isn't that about you? Or is it that he only wants to do these things to "get you back", which is all about him?

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but I think you could provide some incredibly valuable insight to me and others who are in very similar situations to you and your H.

Along with others, I really appreciate your honesty and willingness to participate on this board.

hks
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/28/05 09:12 PM
hks,

LOL = hijack my thread.

Quote:

I am sure this is part of me not "getting it", but when your H says that he wants to do things for you, why do your interpret that to mean that it is still "all about him"? Isn't that about you? Or is it that he only wants to do these things to "get you back", which is all about him?

I will try to explain myself better -
He says that he wants to do things for me, which "sounds" great. However, when I ask him what specifically he is "doing" for me; he says "keeping the house clean or taking care of the dogs" (which means feeding the dogs and opening the back door occassionally so they can go out).

How is that for me? I don't live in the house anymore, so he is keeping the house clean for him, really, right? Or he is trying to use the fact that he can maintain a clean house as a way to woo me back? I am happy for him. I never knew he could do them b/c he never did any of those things before when I lived there (except let the dogs out if he got home first). A little sarcasm. But how does those things meet my (or anyone's) emotional needs?

To meet my emotional needs, I want things like, a non-sexual touch (like a hug, holding my hand, a soft kiss of the cheek, forhead, nose, etc.); a nice card or note to say I love you, you're beautiful, etc.; fresh flowers - just b/c; communicating w/ me (a conversation where we share our lives, thoughts and plans). OCCASSIONALLY, I am not asking for him to smother me w/ these.

However, since I am still hurt and/or angery w/ H - I don't really want him doing any of the above (except MAYBE the communication bit).

H hates it when I use this example, but bear w/ me. If my H had been a wife beater and had abused me over and over through the years; sometimes where I went to the hospital. After each beating he was remorseful and apologized, promising it would NEVER happen ever again. And then it did. Would you expect me to want to go back to him? How am I supposed to believe that he is really sorry this time verses all the other times I have heard the same words?

I wasn't physically abused. Instead, I was mentally and emotionally abused. I was expected to continue to meet his needs, while mine were neglected. What reason do I have to want to be in the M? Therefore, I am looking to see a lot of self-improvement on his part. I want to look at him and see a different person, a kind, loving person. When I look at him and he is spouting the same things - I'm sorry, I want to take care of you, blah, blah, blah...but I am not seeing any actions where he is "IMPROVING" himself - well, it feels like just another empty promise.

Does that help?
M

P.S. When I say it's too late - it's b/c I have left 5 times before w/ little to no permanent change from H or in the M. Emotionally, I can't keep doing this. It is killing the person that I am and I don't like who I have become.

FYI - The abused spouse lingers in this I don't want to be in the M, but I don't want a D, either mode b/c 1) we still have a shread of HOPE that the promise is real and 2) b/c we have also lost our self-esteem. We wonder how did this person treat me like this? What is wrong w/ me? Or we want to understand "why" you could be so cruel or insensitive.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/28/05 09:27 PM
K,

Are you suggesting that I cancel the "date" (my birthday celebration) w/ H?

I know this sounds horrible, but the only reason I am going is b/c I agreed to go about a month ago. I keep my word (even if H doesn't).

I don't know enough about the retreat to answer your questions. I think the main reason I mentioned it is b/c right now, with our recent conversation, and the fact that I am not getting any "action-oriented" results from H; I was thinking - what's the point? I am moving closer to the "throw in the towel" point of view.

M
Posted By: hks Re: Advice - 01/28/05 10:12 PM
M

Thank you very much for your reply. it hit very close to home. However, I appreciate your honesty. It is obvious that you, like my W, have been damaged to the core. Although it is little consolation to you, your response provided me with some great insight into the pain my W has felt and currently feels.

My W frequently uses the analogy of an alcoholic or an abuser when we talk about our relationship. Her question is how many time do you have to let that person back in the M until it is okay to file for divorce. In our situation, my W had concerns about my emotional availability before we got married. I went to counseling and we both thought I worked through those issues. After 7 years of M and 2 kids, I apparently was still having problems. Unlike your situation, my W never left before. She internalized her pain and when she felt like she could not talk to me about it, she lost hope and gave up.

On my end, I have been going to counseling since the bomb was dropped. I have gone back to church and joined a men's group there to hold me accountable. I have read a lot about communication in a marriage and realize now how I was unable to be there emotionally for my wife. I was dismissive and felt she was too emotional. When she came to me with problems I either marginalized them by telling her they weren't that important and I loved her, "isn't that enough", or I attempted to fix things, "Well, why don't you just see it my way ..." or "this is what you need to do." A lot of times I knew she was troubled and asked her if everything was okay. She responded by saying, "Oh, these are my issues. I need to get through them myself." Instead of creating an atmosphere in which she could feel comfortable and secure enough with me to open up, I was relieved that we didn't have to have another one of "those conversations."

I know you think that if your H really understood you, it wouldn't be necessary for you to tell him what you want. My W tells me the same thing. She feels if I were the person she wanted to be in a R with, I would know what she felt was important in a R. In fact, she usually references the OM and tells me how he gives her exactly what she needs without her ever having to ask.

I'll ask you a question I can't ask my wife. What could it hurt by telling your husband what you want? Be specific and let him know that you want him to listen without judgment, that cleaning the house is important, but is not substitute for letting you know that he truly values your opinions and feelings. That he needs to defend and honor you. That it is not his spending that is an issue, but his failure to understand how his spending affects you and he goes ahead and does it anyway.

If you are direct with him and give him a chance to love you in the way you want to be loved, what do you have to lose. If he knows what you want and fails to follow through, you will know for sure that he is incapable of meeting your needs. If he starts to meet your needs and after time you can trust it and reinforce his behaviors, you may end up with the M you want.

I think he does love you. However, like my W tells me, that may not be enough. He needs to be sensitive enough to you to convey that love in a manner you can appreciate. Again, could it hurt to let him know exactly what it is you need. I can tell you that it has been 8 months and only now am I really starting to understand what my W needs. It may have saved us both some heartache if she had been able to let go of the expectation that I should know, without being told, what she wanted. I am not trying to lay blame here. It is a very complex issue and requires a process that you may not be able to short circuit. From the viewpoint of the stay behind spouse, a little inofmation might go along way toward opening the lines of communication that may ultimately lead to the intimacy you desire.

Once again, I am giving advice, which I am probably not qualified to do. I hope you take my comments in the spirit of all of us being in this mess together. I hope and pray for you and your husband. You are admired on this board for being so honest. I hope we don't overwhelm you and scare you away.

hks
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/28/05 10:15 PM
M,

Would your H have contacted the weekend seminar people and had them put a little pressure on you? I posted on my link something about what I have been learning about my anger. Would that be the kind of thing you would be looking for in your H, and if so, how would he prove that he is trying replace the bad behaviors with good behaviors. What more would my W want to convince that true changes are taking place? How would guys like us begin to show our Ws that we really want it to be alot more about them? My W and I used to converse so well. We were always affectionate, not only in private. Right now, I cannot show her any of that. Please feel free to show him if you think it will help. It has really humbled me. Get him a copy of that book. Almost every case I have read is things I have done in anger, and none of those are healthy. Thank you so much DinWa for the book recommendation. I am not better yet, but I am starting to see the light, and also to understand how much W loved me to put up with that. Another idea just occurred to me about your birthday date. How about inviting a lot of friends to go along with you guys? If he balks, tell him that is your requirement for time to be spent together. He will not talk about the R in front of them, would he?
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/28/05 10:30 PM
Quote:

2) b/c we have also lost our self-esteem. We wonder how did this person treat me like this? What is wrong w/ me? Or we want to understand "why" you could be so cruel or insensitive.

Wow, this one really turns the lights on for me. The last really honest/open email I got from my W contained the following:

Quote:

... I am sad and weary from all this. I have been neglected and left on my own for so long that it just feels normal by now. I told you last night that you make me feel like I am 100 years old. just weary and worthless. I also told you that I am sad from going so long without ever feeling special anymore. I realized that a lot of the sadness was actually guilt. I wanted to be special to you - on birthdays or anniversaries, or other days like that- and you didn’t make it happen. this of course makes me feel sad. but on top of that I would feel guilty. guilty for having wanted it. since I didn’t get it, I obviously didn’t deserve it, and shame on me for expecting it. while the guilt may be self imposed, it is still there. it is like the multiplier that makes it all worse.

Just posting that here makes me feel like I am biggest loser ever - but seems pretty obvious she feels the same way you do. I don't know how I get past this. I see the error in my ways now, but I honestly never intended to ignore her or make her feel unwanted. It was a kind of benign neglect. I know that doesn't make the sting any less real for her but I know that now that I am aware of the impact my actions (or lack of action) had on her, I can do much better. I am just hoping to get the chance...

D
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/28/05 10:35 PM
Gene,

No, I don't think he would contact the seminar people, but you never know what a desparate man will do. ANything is possible.

Right now, I would like to hear him talk about finding help via websites like this, reading self-improvement books of any nature, etc. I would like him to STOP the R talk altogether - let me bring it up. Most of the time, I do not want to talk to him b/c I am afraid we will get into the R talk. When I tell him I don't know - he starts pushing saying things like how can you not want to save our M? At this point, I think I would take any kind of effort.

Since you are already doing those things...I would think your W would see changes in how you interact w/ your children and to some degree how you interact w/ her.

He has not told me where he is taking me or what the plans are. H is being very secretive- trying to keep it a surprise - therefore, I don't think I am at liberty to invite others. Although, I would love to!!!

I don't know if he would talk about the R infront of friends or not. He came w/ me to my nephew's wedding a few weeks ago and he would wait until we were out of ear shot or he'd whisper to me something R related. I think the same might happen, but it would definitely be toned down.

Thanks for the suggestion of giving him the book. Too bad he can't make the effort to go purchase a book himself, eh? I already sent him the title/author in an e-mail yesterday.

M
Posted By: koshka Re: Advice - 01/28/05 10:35 PM
M,
Quote:

Are you suggesting that I cancel the "date" (my birthday celebration) w/ H?

It really bothers me to say so, because any chance to have a "date" with my W would mean so much to me, but, yes, that is what I suggested. Not so much "cancel" the birthday celebration as tell him what a better celebration would be. That's if you believe the retreat ould be worthwhile. In that case, why not tell him you want his active participation in the retreat insetad of dinner and a movie, or flowers and a carriage ride, or whatever the "date" would be?

I admire you for being here and going through this to break the bad cycles in your M and work to build something good. How I wish my WAW would have the desire to work with me! I "don't get it" either, apparently, but I darn sure know I will do whatever I can to "get it" for our sake. Somehow your H has to wake up to something more than feeding the dogs, etc. Any real effort to work with you, through the retreat or something like that, might be a good sign. Hearing you tell him that the "date" either
  • is off, or
  • depends on how much he works on the retreat
just might be the shock he seems to need.

I wish you luck, and I'll be praying for both of you tonight.

Thanks,

K
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/28/05 10:36 PM
Quote:

Thanks. Our "date" is supposed to be to celebrate my b-day...which is Saturday. Are you suggesting that I not go? He asked me out for Valentine's and I am using work as an excuse not to go. I think I would rather go out and have dinner w/ friends, but I do not yet have any such plans. It would be less stressful that way.

Do what will make you happy. My W told me she did not want me around on her B-day and I understood. I was disappointed, but it wasn't really about "me". It was her day and she could spend as she wished. I don't think it turned out like she wanted, but she was unwilling/unable to let me in and I understood.

D
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/29/05 01:09 AM
hks,

I ask myself and sometimes H that same thing...How many times is enough. I mean really, when is enough, enough? I also had concerns before the marriage, but I was in-love w/ the idea of marriage and a family. I didn't get either, really. Just a piece of paper legally binding us.

I thought I did tell him what I wanted - while I was still living there. I would tell him: we don't write each other notes anymore or maybe you could do some things around the house so I wouldn't have to do it all. At midnight when I would come to bed after cooking, cleaning, doing laundry, etc. and he would be sleeping he'd wake up and want to play. I would tell him, I was too tired to play and I suggested he help me next time so that we would both be done earlier and had time to play before sleep. Again, I got nothing, but a guilt ttrip for not having s w/ him.

I am not currently telling him what I want b/c, to put it bluntly, it's not worth my effort. What I mean is Wednesday, I asked him specifically to work on his anger. I even sent him the name of the book, etc. His response - I don't have an anger problem. I keep asking him to work on himself and stop trying so hard to get me back by smothering me. Let me heal and recover from the past damage and show me this new person. In return, I get R talk and more pressure.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/29/05 01:09 AM
D,

My H wouldn't understand. He stills thinks it's about getting us back together. All day long he has been sending me text messages telling me he loves me and for me to please talk to him. Finally, I called him and asked him what it was he wanted me to talk about. He just started in w/ R talk...trying to get me to commit to working things out. I told him I couldn't b/c I didn't see any real changes in his personality (the way he treats me) or in his behavior (other than the house keeping and care of the dogs). All my call did was serve to frustrate me and upset him.

I ended w/ that I had plans tonight so I had to go. He asked what plans, I just said none of his business. Good night. I hung up and turned my phone off.

What more can I do to get through to him? No R talk...why? B/c while the WAS is still hurting and angry it doesn't serve any purpose; other than upset both parties.

M
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/29/05 01:13 AM
hks,

I know he loves me, but I don't think he knows how to give love in a way that I need.

You asked if it could hurt to let him know exactly what it is you need? Yes! It hurts me b/c unlike you and many others he isn't out here seeking help in any form. He confirmed that Wednesday night and again tonight. It only seems to get my hopes up and disappoint me later.

M
Posted By: BetterDaysThanThese Re: Advice - 01/29/05 10:05 AM
M,
I'm another one of your adoring fans. I think it's really cool that you're here and trying to work on your marriage. Obviously you're here because you're searching for answers. I'd like to also give my thanks to you for all the good advice, insight, and time that you're freely giving.

Quote:

I know he loves me, but I don't think he knows how to give love in a way that I need.

A suggestion is the book, "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. I found this book in the Christian section of Barnes and Noble. This is a good book and opened my eyes to some things. Like how people show love and perceive that love is being shown. I think we, all the folks on these BB's, are working with this issue.

It sounds like you've got a typical guy on your hands. Pretty dense. So, what to do about it?

The people that come to these boards are the ones that are searching for ways to help their marriage. I'd say, like DinWa's W, and hks's W, and Koshka's W, and my W, and probably Gene's W (sorry Gene, I'm not up on your sitch) trying to get them to read a book, let alone an article, about M or trying to really work on the M is pretty useless, right now.

I think the tack that we've all taken is to work on us. And then, in affect, lead by example. I think it is the case, in most of the broken relationships, that one party will need to do the leading. The other person either can't or won't see things. Sorry, I think it's "tag, you're it!"

I also think, that fixing relationships is a slow process. It's been stated many times on these BB's that the relationship didn't get to the point it's at right now overnight. It also is not going to be fixed overnight.

There are a couple of threads on these BB's from WAW's that have worked on their R's. One is from Tulip and one is from Nicky. Don't know if you've read them yet or not but here are the links:

Tulip

Nicky

I apologize if someone has already mentioned these threads. At any rate, I hope they might give you a little inspiration.

I can only imagine how frustrating it is for you to see changes in you H, then, to get back together, and then watch him lapse back into his old patterns again. grrrrr. Hang in there and hopefully the folks on these BB's can give you some information you can use in dealing with your "dumb guy". I think it took all of us "dumb guys" to get whacked with "Hey Honey, Guess what? I'm leaving you." to wake up. Maybe we need an acronym like WAW. Something like DGS for Dumb Guy Syndrome.

BDTT
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/29/05 04:10 PM
Happy Birthday. I hope and pray that today is a good day, and the start to many good days. Peace be with you.

I started reading the links that BetterDaysThanThese posted, and it is eye opening. Just as the conversations here with you have been eye opening. Today has been a nerve racking day. I am so nervous and desperate to call her. She is in Houston right now. I just hope she is alright and having fun (not too much fun ). I will not call. I will see her Monday morning for a few minutes. I will give her her space and work on my issues, and how to be better in an R. Hopefully, she will see the changes and begin to soften with time. I really don't see a way back until at least the end of March or April. That is alot of patience. I wish my W were like you M. I wish she were that dedicated to working on the R, then right now we would be alot closer because I also would be working on the R. That is what really pisses me off about your H sometimes. He has what most of the rest of us want. I have only been out 2 weeks, and this is your 5th time and it has been for 8 months, so I will be patient.

Again, have a very Happy Birthday.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/29/05 04:30 PM
BDTT,

Thanks for the comments. No, I hadn't read or seen their situations. I will check them out. I was beginning to think I was one of the only WAS's on this BB.

A friend of mine suggested the 5 LL's to me, but there is only so much reading one can do at a time. I have 4 books I am trying to read now! I will get to it though. I am going to the book store today (before the date) to get the ANger Trap, so I will look for that as well.

As far as getting the WAS to read some of these wonderful books - well, that will take a little time. I know when I frist walked; I wasn't ready or willing to read any of these books. It is only after I have begun to heal and realized that whatever behaviors I have developed in this M will carry over to any future R, that I decided to improve myself. I also thought that when the WAS gets to a point where they are more open to communicating and it's not such a struggle - well, that might be a good time to accidentally/intentionally leave a copy for them.

Thanks for all the encouragement. I have decided that if if I can't get through to my H; I will at least be a better person for all of this.

M
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/29/05 05:53 PM
M -

Quote:

I was beginning to think I was one of the only WAS's on this BB.

You might want to check in on Tikitorch's thread. I think her situation is similar to yours and she is currently working on her sitch. I tried to point her your way but haven't seen her post here.

Tikitorch WAW
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/29/05 08:59 PM
Hey all,

Remember that Friday night I said this to my H?
Quote:

I ended w/ that I had plans tonight so I had to go. He asked what plans, I just said none of his business. Good night. I hung up and turned my phone off.

Well, thank GOD that I turned my phone off. I had 3 messages from him about how I was lying and hiding things from him and how I was purposely hurting him, etc. The last message said I made him feel that my life would be better without him in or if he were dead, etc.

After listening to those messages, I sent thim a text message saying: "I just listened to your messages. I no longer wish to spend the evening with you. SInce I am so evil/hurtful, I will not be meeting you tonight at 5 PM" Then I asked him not to contact me.

Since then, I have 8 missed calls and probably messages, too. As well as 4 text messages. One of which said he went all out for tonight and he has 4 tickets to Varekai.

I just replied, well then I guess you need to find someone else to join you or not use that ticket. Although I did ask out of curiosity who was joining him.

What do you guys think? Did I do the right thing?

Sad and confused on my b-day!
M

Posted By: koshka Re: Advice - 01/29/05 09:39 PM
M,

By my clock it's still late afternoon where you are. Why not find someone else to be with tonight? I'm not talking about getting an OM, but call a GF and just do not be alone.

You did what you had to do to get away from the pressure. Somehow your H must come to understand how he's making things worse with all the pressure he puts on you.

Go do something pressure free, even if you just go to a cafe with your friend for an hour or two. H won't let up, so you take the pressure off.

You deserve a decent celebration, right? Go get it.

Thanks,

K

PS Happy Birthday!
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/29/05 09:44 PM
M,

I am sorry it is turning out this way on your birthday. You can still go out with the girls tonight to the bachelorette party. Try to be happy for the bride to be. It was when my W said to me that it always had to be what I wanted and when I wanted it, that it started to sink in that I have been selfish and controlling. Have you hit him with those words? It has been all about him for so long, and he cannot see that. What is wierd is that I can see that it needs to be all about Michelle for now, but in my own sitch I still sometimes don't think that way when it comes to my W. That is why I am so happy to talk with you. I wish I could give you more to help in your sitch. If you wanted some of us to email him from here, I would love to...probably would not help though. It still upsets me that he has what the rest of us want, our WAS to be ready to work on our M.

I was going to post this as an alert to you in that he probably was going to expect you to hang with him all evening, especially since he is going all out. It would have turned out ugly if you tried to leave to go with your girlfriends.

Please try to have a Happy Birthday.
Posted By: sweetbutterfly Re: Advice - 01/29/05 10:15 PM
Hi all,

This is my first post, but have been reading Hopeful's thread......she is my best friend! I'm sure all of u can tell what a wonderful, luving, genuine person she is.....trust me, you're right. She is going to have an awesome time tonight. Her H really screwed up this time and she is finally thinking of herself and her happiness first......it's about darn time. She is the most unselfish person i've ever met, which unfortunately enables (enabled) her H to take advantage of her. I'm ever so proud of her and hopefully she will only get praises from u guys for standing up for herself and actually putting herself first (for once).

FYI: I've thoroughly enjoyed reading all of ur responses to her. Unfortunately, in the past, i've acted like her H towards my own 11 year relationship (he's only my boyfriend though....no marriage). However, i've learned my selfish tendencies about a year ago and have worked very hard to correct them. Hence, y i could relate to her H's actions, but he's just like talking to a brick wall, unfortunately. I tried talking to him and telling him i can relate to what he's said and/or done to hurt the situation, but it just kept going back to the way she's making him feel.....kind of like, who gives a poop about the way Hopeful has felt for the past many years. My only concern is to see her happy and I thank you guys for giving her all the different views and advice (esp, since many of the things is exactly what i've said ).
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/29/05 11:26 PM
Gene,

Yes, I have said that to him, but he always turns it around and says he did it for me. Or that he did it b/c I was shutting him out of my life and it hurt him, etc. It doesn't seem to matter what I say to H. Somehow it's always my fault that he does what he does.

Well, the good news is I did talk to him. I told him I had made other plans and that he could try to exchange the tickets for another night or something else or he could find someone else to go w/ him. It was his choice. Either way I was not going to be there b/c I did not want to spend my time w/ someone who thought I was this horrible person and I was not going to reward him for his behavior.

That was so hard for me to do. I contacted his sister and asked her to check on him b/c I was concerned. She called me back and said that she hoped I could put my differences aside for totnight b/c he spent $400 on the tickets. That made me feel even worse, but then my wonderful girlfriend said it doesn't matter if he spent $1,000 if he's still treating me like crap! I agreed. That's when I called him and gave him his options - exchange them or find someone else.

I am going out. And I am going to make it a GREAT night!

Thanks so much everyone for your comments. It has really helped me be strong.

M

Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/29/05 11:31 PM
Dear Sweetbutterfly,

Thank you so much for all your love and support and not to mention wisdom.

Thanks for the smack upside the head today when you "yelled" into me that it matters not how much he spends if he is still treating me like crap. You are the best friend I could have right now! Bless you, darling!

M

P.S. Thanks for your kind words. I will call you later.

Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/30/05 02:59 PM
How are you doing today Hopeful_WAW? Did he try bugging, or did he finally get the point to leave you alone. I fear this is similar to what I did to my W last weekend when I started the R talk. I have not talked about it since, but that is easy when she is down there. Would have been funny if she was at the same bachelorette party, being that Houston is such a small town and all. I lived there in 1990, and enjoyed it very much. So much to do down there. I was working on the Space Station as a college student. I lived in Clear Lake City. A little out of town, but a quick 45 minute drive and we were on Richmond. Good clubs along there at that time.

I think you should go dark for a while. He has not gotten it as of your last post. I don't know what it is going to take for him to get it. Your friend has hit him with a 2 by 4, and still nothing. That does not mean that he will never get it. Keep working on you. Your friend confirmed what we all already know, that you are sweet and giving. I wish my W was as ready to work on the R as you. I have to be patient, out only 2 weeks. I hope you will continue to stay here and talk with each of us. How many of us have said that your words came out of their S's mouth? Thank you for being here. Thank you for hope.
Posted By: Hopeful_WAW Re: Advice - 01/30/05 04:19 PM
Gene,

I think he might have gotten just a little out of yesterdays drama. He sent me the following text messages:

Well, I guess it's my own fault for being so stupid and childish. I did all of this for you. I am truly sorry and I love you so much. Have a Happy Birthday. I wish I was with you.

Followed by -
I know I screwed up again, but this is very hard on me. I just want my W back. I miss her so much. I am sorry.

I am not sure what is going to happen from here. I did ask him about the tickets and he said he ended up going with his sister b/c he was unable to exchange them.

It just makes me sad that H can say such mean things to try to make me feel like I'm a horrible person. He says it's b/c he is hurting. What doesn't make sense to me is this - If I am such a horrible person, why does he still want to be with me? I just hope and pray that he will reconsider leaving me manipulative messages in the future.

I am somewhat afraid to go dark. I am afraid I will enjoy life so much more w/o all the stress and drama, which comes from interactions w/ H. I know when I asked for little to no contact, I did not miss him, at all. Any thoughts about this?

Thanks everyone for everything.
M
Posted By: koshka Re: Advice - 01/30/05 04:49 PM
M,
Quote:

I am somewhat afraid to go dark. I am afraid I will enjoy life so much more w/o all the stress and drama, which comes from interactions w/ H.

Of course you will enjoy life without that stuff. You didn't come here to get H back so you could enjoy that stuff with him again. You have the guts to work for something better. H needs to wake up. Maybe yesterday helped a little. I hope so.

Thanks,

K
Posted By: Gene_in_AR Re: Advice - 01/30/05 05:43 PM
Hopeful,

I may finally have something to say about your H that may help you a little. You have helped me so much, and finally I can MAYBE do some in return. Since he seems to have some of the same problems I keep encoutering. It sounds like alot of this is coming from his anger. BTW, I get alot of this from reading The Anger Trap. I am finally almost done with the book. If you get a chance after your 4 other books, it might give you some insight into his thinking. As I talk about this, some may pertain directly to your H, and others may not.

I can never admit I am wrong. I am deathly afraid of anyone ever seeing that I made a mistake, especially those who are closest to me. I feel unworthy and inferior if I am wrong in their eyes. They are looking down on me. Therefore, I push very hard to move above them, I push them down. This can be done with destroying their argument by seeing a small chink in what they say, and exploiting it to prove that I am right no matter what. Mostly, my W will just agree just to get me to shut up. After a while, she does not want to do that anymore, and the arguments get more heated. As we get closer to proving me wrong, I get meaner with my side. I begin to bring her into the argument personally. As she stands up for herself more, I begin to try to control what all is happening in my own little world. I push my views and my way of doing things on her and the kids. They all begin to rebel, and it is a downhill skid from there. I did not even realize what I was doing. Finally, W is just tired of the whole thing, and pushed me out the door. No more walking on eggshells to see what I was going to try to control next. It was whatever I wanted and when I wanted it. I made it all about me, instead of making it about my W and my kids. They are what is important to me, so now I am trying to make changes. I have snapped at my daughter a couple of times this weekend for absolutely no reason. She was asking me about a crown she got a birthday party and where it came from. I told her I don't know, and she kept asking. I yelled a little, not a lot, but it brought tears. I realize what I am doing now, so I stopped the truck and tried to explain to her where I was coming from, but that I did not act right. If she wanted to solve her query of where they came from, we could call the birthday girls Mom and ask. A slip, and maybe a little progress.

Your H needs to get over himself. He is not the center of the universe, so stop acting like it. He needs to address your requests with respect, even if he does not agree with your perspective. He needs to show you that he values what you are saying. He needs to admit when he is wrong. I used to admit I was wrong, and it was actually almost a religious experience in that it was so uplifting to get that monkey off my back. I backslid and did not realize it. He needs to be humble. Actually, I need to do all these things as well.

I also have this problem with living more in my fantasy land (or dream land) than in reality. I have a stock that I thought would have me retired by now. It wrecks my whole day to know I HAVE to get up to go to work. I probably would still work, but I would not have to. That put me in a foul mood, and of course, sometimes still does. I get home, and my W would be challenging to show that I was wrong about something, legitimatelly. Well, in my fantasy land, my perfect S would never do something like that, so when I get mean, I would tell her sometimes that I am leaving. Hell, I could find someone better. But in reality, there is always going to be conflict where I will be proved wrong. I will never find that fantasy perfect S. My W is perfect for me. We have so much in common, and those things that are not in common, we have always (until recently) talked about those so well. I see your H a little in fantasy land in that he will go buy what he wants, consequences be damned.

Another way I see a little of your H in my actions is that I can play the victim so well. "I am only lashing out because YOU hurt me." Well, I did not always take into account that I hurt my W first. I did not treat her with love and respect, so it hurt me when she did the same in return.

I may be off base on your H with some of these, but I am sure that some are right on. It is very difficult for someone like me to admit that what I was doing was so wrong. I see what I was doing now. Now, I am trying to correct those abusive behaviors. It is hard, as referenced above where I yelled at my daughter, but it has to be done. I already see my daughter acting up less. She is much more affectionate to me with hugs and "I love you, Daddy." It melts my heart and makes me want to work even harder. I just wish my W would see. But, these are the things I realize right now. There may be more I don't even know. I am not totally sure how to fix the above. Very humbling.

I hope that gives a little perspective maybe from your H's side. He has to get it before it can change. You can apply DBing to make some slight changes in him, but he has to make those big changes himself. He has to realize first thing. Going dark would be a hard choice, and I do applaud you for wanting to keep trying under these trying times. I hope you had some fun last night.
Posted By: DinWa Re: Advice - 01/30/05 08:12 PM
Quote:

I also have this problem with living more in my fantasy land (or dream land) than in reality. I have a stock that I thought would have me retired by now. It wrecks my whole day to know I HAVE to get up to go to work. I probably would still work, but I would not have to

Living for some such future event is pretty common among those of us who have trouble managing our emotions. We lose the joy of everyday life. I know this happened to me. I will be happy when I get a bigger house, buy a new car, etc. I have learned through this to live much more in the present and it has been a gift.
Quote:

I already see my daughter acting up less. She is much more affectionate to me with hugs and "I love you, Daddy." It melts my heart and makes me want to work even harder. I just wish my W would see.

I actually went so far as to apologize to my DD for the way I had been and for certain times of which I was ashamed about the way I treated them. It was liberating

D
© DivorceBusting.com