Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: SPITFIRE Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/13/03 06:59 PM
Decided it was time to move to another forum. Hoping this is the correct one. I won't bore anyone with previous threads, here is a brief history. Married 22 yrs today as a matter of fact, me 46 W 43 S 17 S14 D12. W dropped bomb 18 months ago were still together, thought for sure it was over.
I think I was in the midst of a mild MLC at the time I know my W is going through a major one, the BOMB jolted me from mine W is slowly surfacing from hers. Began DBing within weeks of BOMB kept me sane ,saved the family, and hopefully my M. Bomb was best thing that could have happened to me as I have grown tremendously personally.
My W and I get along better now than we ever have, we do though have a long way to go.
We have in fact no physical contact with each other and I
must admit there are some trust issues on both sides, her thinking I will resort to my old controlling aggressive ways, and on my part wondering if she has done anything that she might regret, as she was I think capable of anything a year and a half ago. Anyways that the condenced
version I might also add I did wish her "Happy A" today (didn't mention it at all last year)and she didn't run shrieking from the car so I'll take that as a baby step LOL!

C.journaling
Posted By: Jeannine Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/13/03 07:04 PM
Hi Spitfire,

Welcome to "piecing". Sounds like you are in the right forum to me.

If you've already read DR, then already know that it's going to take a lot of time and patience to regain your
W's trust and the other way around as well.

Have you read "The Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman yet?
It's must reading.

Jeannine
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/13/03 07:08 PM
Hi J thanks for responding I've heard lot about the book but have never read it. I'm an acts of service person not sure what my W is (guess I should read the book!)
C.
Posted By: Jeannine Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/13/03 07:16 PM
Yep.

Jeannine
Posted By: DoRight Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/16/03 04:17 PM
Spitfire, glad to hear you've grown a lot through Divorcebusting. I think the benefit of DB'ing is that two fold blessing you found: one, getting your marriage on a new level; and, two, personaling growing yourself.

Love is dynamic, not static, and it's easy to fall into a rut. Course, you know what a rut is: an open grave with both ends kicked out.

So keep speaking the language of love, keep the dynamics going, and keep growing yourself. I've heard it said, and the analogy is good, that marriage is like a garden. We have to water it, feed it, and pull weeds. You also have to take care of the other party, as well as yourself.

You sound like you've made some major turnarounds. Keep it up, and keep us posted how things are going.

Do Right
Posted By: KAW Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/17/03 12:24 PM
Hi SPITFIRE and welcome...

Quoting SPITFIRE:
I think I was in the midst of a mild MLC at the time I know my W is going through a major one, the BOMB jolted me from mine W is slowly surfacing from hers.
I had a similar experience and it was a real eye opener to me on just what much I was missing out on that was important to me without realizing it ... including my R's with the people close to me and how much more I can contribute to enriching those R's.

No matter what the future brings in regards to M, I will always be indebted to DBing in what it has made me discover what is important to me.

In order to avoid returning to your "old contolling aggressive ways" is to continue to let her set the pace on where the R goes from here. Take a step back and see if what she initiates. What ever lead you wish to take, keep it in a form of a suggestion or ask first if she would be OK with it. That way you move foward with the baby steps and not try to take bigger ones that may risk a greater backslide.

'til later,
KAW
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/17/03 01:37 PM
Thanks for visting D.R.and KAW could have used those words of wisdom a day earlier had a bit of a back slide yesterday. I pushed when I shouldn't have ,there are still alot of ugly old feelings there! I was a bit shocked after 18 months. On a postive note we seem to have moved past it very quickly. W ,I have realized is incapable of any type of contenious talks. For the first time I've realized how emotionally and physically upsetting these
are for her and will have to let her iniate them in the future(she does like to hide behind her denial though and it could take years ,hope I'm around in the end).
She really is a mess but I realize it's up to her to sort herself out. She also continues to tell me to find someone else or to have an A ,I think shes doing this out of guilt
and I'm prepared to wait.
Sex isn't everything (as I've learned in the last 18 months LOL!)but I sure don't want to give it up for the rest of my life!
Yes KAW dbing has changed my life and given me back that ability to enjoy life again what ever the outcome I'm a far better person for it! C.
Posted By: DoRight Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/17/03 09:16 PM
Hey, man, I know it's rough, but you're doing fine. Yes, it seems your spouse wants to lay on the guilt, and bring you down to their level. It's easier to push away if you're pushing away. You're right, don't buy into it. Every spouse wants to know their special, whether they realize it at the moment.

Keep your focus! Yes, you'll backslide. Thing is, do you know how to recover better than before? If so, do it!
Do Right
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/25/03 12:30 PM
Well we have found that emotional middle ground again and it's certainly peacefull. W really can not handle any "heavy" disscusions (she never could) I don't think she feels safe during them, my family always loved a good debate but there certainly not her cup of tea.
I will not bring any R issues up again until she does.
She appears to be quite happy to go on like this for some time. Her mom gave up men and sex in her fourties after two bad relationships wonder if this is any way a factor.
W starts her holidays this weekend and will be at the cabin for two weeks then I'll be there for four. Though I
really enjoy her company the space will be nice. Have been refocusing on myself and the kids and will let her find her own way.
After seeing so many baby steps I realize I must have started pursuing again which caused her to flee.
This is certainly a long and painfull process hope I have the patience to see it through.
It's certainly tough on the old self esteem never realized before how special it is to love and be loved by
someone. C.
Posted By: holdingon Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/25/03 02:49 PM
Quote:

never realized before how special it is to love and be loved by someone

Amen.
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/26/03 01:39 PM
Life has returned to normal (whatever thet is LOL!) You really wouldn't know there was any thing wrong with our R
on the outside as a matter of fact it's great except for the lack of physicalness. Guess I shouldn't complain as the family continues to roll along, I feel a lot better
lovingly detaching and W respondes positively as well.
Think I was unwittly trying to manipulate the situation
with very negative results so must be patient and enjoy what I have for now. C.
Posted By: Gerard Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/26/03 01:51 PM
Indeed, enjoy what you have. My brother used to tell me to count my blessings when I was always complaining about things. Didn't know what he meant until I lost most of what I had including my wife.

Gerard
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/26/03 02:00 PM
Hey, C....I didn't know you were over here this long!

You seem to be handling the sitch quite well. And it is good that you are grateful for what you have. I know that I would flip if my W accepted me into the family, even without the physical aspect.

Speaking of which: do you think she is in need of some therapy? It sure seems like it to me, certainly no expert. I wouldn't have a clue as to how to find out or how to get her to check that out. But I'm sure you've thought of it already.

You ready for your holiday, C? It's been a whole year since we've met on the bb. Who knows what another year will bring?

j, wishing you well....and an endless supply of aprons
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/26/03 04:26 PM
Hi J Thanks for the visit. C is not an option and I respect
her thoughts, we went through MC years ago and she was a mess. I of course enjoyed it even though it was my fault at the time we were there, but that's me ,I talk too much and her not enough ,she internalizes everything till smoke starts coming out of her ears LOL!
Eventually (I hope) she will have to deal with things but it will have to be in her own time. Can only hope my kids don't deal with things the same way.
Gerard thanks for the visit. Yes I'm considering my self
fortunate for what I do have.
Any one know were I can get some salt peter though? LOL!
C.
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/26/03 05:54 PM
Quote:

C is not an option and I respect
her thoughts,
I guess the ones who need it the most will refuse it....

It just seems to me that she is struggling with something too difficult for her to handle alone. Just a gut feeling, C.

I, too, am looking for some saltpeter...

j
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/27/03 11:30 AM
J your absolutely right on, but she will not hear it from me, she is bound and determined to do this on her own (she has to anyway) trouble is it may take years for her to get
around to it. Hope I'm patient enough to be around in the end whatever she decides. I really think she has many childhood issues that haven't been dealt with (scary stuff believe me).
It only angers her if I suggest this so I won't in future. I don't stress my self worring about alien thought process any more,lifes pretty good for me right now so I'll be patient and continue to enjoy what I have. Hey hope your continuing to look after yourself and enjoying your children.
Families off to the lake this weekend and I'll have two weeks to myself looking forward to do some of MY projects for a change.
C.in his tool apron
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 06/27/03 11:53 AM
Well, C....if she won't get help, she sure has a good guy by her side. One day she'll feel comfortable enough to share her feelings with you. You are building that trust day by day.

I'm learning from you, C.

j, in his student apron
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 07/02/03 06:08 PM
Back from a couple of days at the lake had a scary/exciting evening at the lake last night.
There was a tornado warning issued and we were all awake to the wee hours of the morning awaiting the storm (which never came).The kids were buzzing, W was critical of way I dealt with oldest S (he was quite anxious as he was the one who learned of the warning) I took charge as usuall (she of course had no plan) and we now have a tornado plan in place for the family's usage regardless of who's at the cabin.
It amazes me how much she relies on me in certain situations ,and has already phoned to chat with me regarding oldest S job situation at the lake (5 hours after I've left). We had agreat weekend together at the lake (on the beach, at friends for drinks) I wonder when and if that break through will ever come? Patience,patience, 18 months and counting.C.
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 07/03/03 12:01 PM
Quote:

I wonder when and if that break through will ever come? Patience,patience, 18 months and counting
IT will, C, it will.....

So is she away for awhile now? Is this the first time since last summer that you two will be 'separated'? If so, it will be interesting how she acts differently this year....

Hang in there, C.....Tighten up your apron and move forward!

j, rootin for you
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 07/09/03 01:10 PM
Hey, C.....how's the 'Patient Man with the Apron' (PMA) doing these days?

I think I have to bring mine in for dry humor cleaning....

j
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 07/09/03 09:34 PM
Hi J thanks for dropping by.Things are good W and I talk on the phone daily while shes at the lake. She countinues to resurface from her MLC tunnel and were getting more and more comfortable and at ease with each other. I realize I can not rush her ,and either I wait her out or I don't ,but that is my decision.
I laughed though she has all these plans to buy a "bigger better cabin" I mentioned that we should be happy with what we have (I am) and recieved no argument. I will not go into any more debt as that's a real stressor for me!
My kids are in their "Big Money Years" right now so their keeping us broke Its money well spent though if it keeps them out of trouble!(and jail LOL!)
I'm at the lake till the middle of august so will up date when I get the chance (no TV or computer at the cabin just
good old paperbacks) C.
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 07/10/03 04:14 PM
Enjoy your holiday, C! Hope your supply of paperbacks doesn't run out. And that your kids stay out of jail!

I know what you mean about "Big Money Years". And college is coming up. But it is worth it, isn't it?

Your W seems to be leaving her alien apron back on the mothership these days. Keep up the good, patient work, C!

j
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 08/11/03 07:11 PM
Well back from my months holiday at the lake had a real relaxing holiday. W phoned nearly everyday and we had some great conversations. She seems to be very close to me when shes away from me but that little wall reappears when were
physically close to each other.
I mentioned this to her and she said she considers me a really good friend (an up grade from just friends I guess HA!) I really do feel she would love to have this plutonic
relationship for ever, funnily enough she often brings up sex (I think they are some issues there) I've told her I'm
OK with this arrangement for now but not forever!
Also we had a very civil conversation yesterday regarding her returning to her family in England which I support if that is what she needs to do and I told her so, I also mentioned that she needed to deal with her issues not just acknowledge that she has them ,and that she should really think about wether she would any better off if she was some were else at this time in her life? The ball is in her court we will see what she does with it , 20 months since the bomb, the saga continues!!! C.
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 08/12/03 11:21 AM
Good to see you back, c! Hope your vacation was enjoyable!

Quote:

I also mentioned that she needed to deal with her issues not just acknowledge that she has them
You sound like you've been able to bring up some good stuff with W. How did she react to this? Was she agreeable? I know that my W in the past acknowledged that she had stuff to work on. In fact, she still says that. And that she is. But it doesn't change her feelings towards me. Of course, that could be because she is not truly working on those things. Someone told me that professional help is the only thing that would help her.....

Do you think your W needs that?

j
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 08/12/03 07:58 PM
Thanks for dropping by J I don't know if professional counseling would help I think it would probably drag up to
many painfull issues for her it would take years to accomplish anything I think. We saw a M counsellor years
ago (I loved it) she hated it (it was her suggestion)maybe she thought the C would kick my butt LOL but there's that thing called objectivity ha!
Her thing is denial, it probably kept her sane growing up as there was some nasty stuff happening so it was a protective mechanism. She is starting to read a lot and I
thing that is helping her I must be very carefull with my input as she resents some of my suggestions from the past
(such as the use of meds)but every once in a while she allows me a gentle nudge.
I'm not a religous man, but I thank god for this BB and it's inhabitants, for the knowledge and support I have recieved here, with out it my family I'm sure, would have been in a truly nast place right now! C.
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 08/13/03 10:03 AM
Good to hear, C, that your W is reading....maybe the first step in her recovery. You are wise not to push her too fast. From what I understand, she will have to decide on her own to get help. Same with my W. Unfortunately, she surrounded herself with people who think she is fine just the way she is. But they, too, will be left behind one day...

If your W had some sexual abuse problems in the past, I am told that intensive therapy is almost a must. It will be painful to her...but she will never be happy unless she can go thru it.

Keep up the good work!

j
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 08/18/03 12:12 PM
Well we continue to make progress all though very slowly
(it is progress). Had a few mini talks this weekend and I'm feeling good about them, I hope W is.
She appears to be coming out of her MLC tunnel, it,s been 20 months since the bomb I'm hoping she will recommit to our R I'm guardedly optomistic! We relate so much better
on so many different levels now it's great. I've made it clear as well that if we were to seperate it would be amicable (because life is to short to waste on bitterness and anger )but not to expect for me to be readily available (for a phone call, chat, ect)as I am now.
I've also made it clear that I will be looking for another R (when I'm ready emotionally) as I'm to young
and healthy to give up sex at 46!
This has all been addressed very calmly and maturely so as not to come across as a threat. It's funny I feel closer to my W now than I ever have and heaven help me if I ever take her for granted again. I realize our M may not make it but I'm in alot better place now than I was 20 months ago. It amazes me when I look back and see what a mess my M was and how brutal my R skills were. DBing has
taught me to be a better, kinder, wiser, more tolerant person and to realize I'm human I'm not perfect but I have the ability to work on my flaws and over come my anxities.
J thanks for stopping by I know you've got a lot on your plate right now hope things are going well. Don't know if my W issues are of the abuse nature but there is alot of emotional baggage there. C.
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 08/19/03 04:17 PM
Hey, C....

What was your W's reaction to your saying what you did about splitting up amicably? And not being around to chat like you do now?

You got any snow up there yet? It's a cool 85 F here today. Getting ready for the beach on Thursday.....

You continue to sound like a DBing master!

j
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 08/21/03 11:58 AM
Well just lost lengthy post so I'll try again. Baby steps continue to be made, started house renovations on the weekend (again) and W got immediately frustrated at the progress (only six more weeks to go Ha!) She was looking for a target (me) but I refused to take the bait and we ended up having a very constructive conversation which twenty months ago would have been a verbal brawl.
She feels I'm to critical of her (I don't think I am) but I just listened and when she finished I apologized and told her that I actually "thought the world of her" which seemed to have caught her off guard. There's less and less
finger pointing and a lot more support coming from both sides these days and that's great. I asked her if maybe
it was a self esteem issue as opposed to me being critical
and she appeared to ponder that. It's funny she's a beautifull, fit , smart, creative person on the outside
but inside there are some demons at work.
J she made no comment I've made comments in the past regarding the one sideness of our R and she acknowledged
that saying I was the taker for years (and I probably was)and now it's her turn. She realizes that I will not go on like this for ever though.
More and more of our friends continue to split up it seems to be epidemic for people in their fourties will our M be one more of those trashed , only time will tell.
It's been in the ninetys for three weeks (so no snow ha!) good thing my igloo has central air LOL! C.
Posted By: wiseguy Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 08/24/03 12:33 PM
spitfire,

Greetings.

I wander around the boards some, mostly posting on Midlife Crisis and Surviving the Bid D.

Hi Jorge, I see you are staying in touch with C regularily, I consider that a sign of friendship and concern.

C, I an only offer you my observations, having come out of two marriages, both ex-wives having suffered from childhood sexual abuse.

First off, your wife is reading... that is good in that she is trying to gain understanding.... she is a seeker now, not a runner.

What she is reading may be important.... there are good books out there for survivors of childhood abuse.

There are also excellant books out there for spouses of abuse victims. ( HINT TO YOU) ( I would recommend "Haunted Marriages" but it is out of print)

Consider this: Without a neutral, impartial, understanding listener... which is what a therapist is supposed to be..... most victims of life trauma end up coping with it by shutting down emotionally.... and by extension,physically.

This applies not just to sex abuse, but any kind of trauma.
Even survivors of airplane crashes have to deal with "survivor's guilt".

Your wife is shutting you out emotionally, and physicaly, to protect her fragile hurting psyche.

How to deal with that?

You cannot help her, she is the only one that can help herself.

She needs, but doesn't want, help.

She thinks she will deal with this on her own, yet it will likely result in something that is very like the state you are currently in.... a stalemate. She can drift into a state of "not thinking about it"... and going on indefinity.

Isn't this how she was operating for some years before this last crisis?

She can continue to be in a marriage to you, , but she will not be able to share a marriage bed with you.

she shows this now in that she can deal with you from a "safe" distance.( telephone, and at a distance)

She likely can deal with her "abuser" from a "safe" distance as well.

Until ( unless) she manages to find the courage to face her past, and deal with her emotions, she will likely retreat from any kind of emotional connection to you.

I will state the folowing thoughts in several ways, hopefully you will understand:
It is likely her emotions she is running from....
it is likely "how she feels around you" that she is running from.
It is likely that she thinks that "you make me feel this way!"
(In reality, you have done nothing extraordinary, you are just behaving normally, and yet she over-reacts and can accuse you of doing something intentionally so that she is not having to take responsibility for her own actions)

DBing is about perceptual changes..... changing your own perceptions about yourself, and about others, and about life .

Perceptions can be tricky... you may think things are hopeless when they are not, or you may think things are going well when they are not!

You may see something as a positive baby step, or you may see something as lacking in sincerity and care.

You may see someone that you want to spend the rest of your sexless life with, or you may see that person as wounded and unable to meet your basic needs and so unworthy of you continued support.

If you would have known that your wife would be like this, would you have married her?

If she would have known how you'd be, would she have married you?

You both did the best you could, back then. Given what you knew, and the skills you had in coping and decision making, you honestly did your best to make a go of it.

Perhaps marriage was a bigger project, a far more technical, and difficult effort than you had at first imagined.

Perhaps your wife thought that you'd understand and accept her without condemnation.

Perhaps she hoped that you would not bring up the past.

"the guilty run, even when no one is pursuing"

She cannot outrun her past, as it lives inside her. she needs to understand that it lives with her, even if she wants it to live somehwere else.

She has to come to terms with her past, and learn to live on in spite of its continued presence.

It is like a scar, you cannot remove a scar without the potential for creating a bigger one.

you learn to live with a scar.

and the greatest people learn to see how there can actually be positives in scars. they show that a person survived, and became stronger. and they can show other people their scars without shame.

As long as she feels shame and guilt, she has given her power away to someone else.

and she likely resents anyone and anything that reminds her of it.

You, my friend, have to make up your mind what you want to do.. you have made many positive changes, and learned many lessons,

My only question for you is this: have you only given up what you didn't need to continue life in happiness? Or did you give up too much?

What is the cost to you for staying in this relationship?

If you decide to stay in a sexually barren, emotionally explosive, and communicatively challanged relationship, well so be it.
Later on, you cannot blame your partner if you find yourself needing sex,emotional connection, and communication
but not getting anything like that from your partner.

I really like what one person recently said on another Board, maybe there are so many divorces because there are too many marriages....

But once in a marriage you have to work your way through it, or earn your way out of it.

Yes, I tend to be lengthy, but I only ask you to consider these words...

I am not asking you to accept them.

They are only my opinions.

one other opinion I can share, the five love languages won't be of much help to you... your wifes languages are hidden under layers of guilt.... she may be a "toucher", but cannot allow herself to be touched after her injury.

And as for what sdhe may have done 18 months ago to induce guilt.... it likely isn't much. what more than likely happened was that 18 months ago, her old guilt resurfaced, and she is too hurt by it now to face it. Old guilt is just as powerful as new guilt.

I will only say this: I can attest to that last opionion from my own experience.

Take care,

"Know -it - all " Paul

Posted By: talitsa Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 08/24/03 04:19 PM
Hi Spitfire. I'm hoping it is ok with you that I jump in here with some responsesto this last post. So much to respond to.

The whole issue of abuse in childhood has been a big factor in my R. My partner was physically and emotionally abused throughout childhood. His family life was so dysfunctional that he left home at 15 and enlisted to go to Viet Nam at 17.

I was brought up in a home that was in constant chaos due to my father's alcoholism and emotional abuse, compounded by constant poverty. I was sexualy abused over a period of time by a young friend of the family from approximatly 5 to 7 years old. This family friend would tell me that he was waiting for me to grow up so he could marry me. The sexual abuse occurred in the context of my family and his saying "wasn't it cute that we were "engaged"?. Bizarre, huh?

I also left home very young, shortly after being raped, and then married the first guy that seemed somewhat stable. Over the years, alcoholism became apparent and with that, physical and emotional abuse (I may as well have gone to Viet Nam too).

For years, I was able to feel very safe with my H, and that allowed me to enjoy physical intimacy (very much, in fact) but it was in a very focused way. I felt safe because H obviously loved me, wasn't critical of me, and didn't appear to be someone who would betray and abandon me.

About two years ago, I found evidence of a betrayal (not an A, but an overly intimate email relationship H had with an old high school (female) friend. My reaction was extreme. I began to put together a "pattern" of H's statements and actions that I was convinced meant that H was going to betray and abandon me. I no longer felt safe. I began to shut down physically and emotionally. I began to try to prepare myself for the pain I "knew" was coming.

Sex was no longer something I enjoyed and wouldn't initiate.
I don't know if it is the same with your wife, but for me, the switch is either ON or OFF when it comes to being sexual.

In the end, he did betray me. He had a brief A and I did kick him out of the house.

Something stopped us short of going to the next "inevitable" step. The trauma snapped me out of the emotionally shut down state I had been in. H saw by my reactions, and the way I begged him to come back, that I actually did care very much. He didn't go on to do the "cut and run", but we have stayed separated while going to counseling individually and together.

I first started to learn about how I had been affected by childhood wounds through ACOA (adult children of alcoholics). I also have the ability to be fairly self-aware, so I have been working on healing all along. Everytime I think I've dealt with something, something new comes up that I have to work on, so it's a continual process.

My H is just now starting to do this kind of work, and is finding out a lot about himself. As he's having to really look back on his early years, and how they affected him, I can see how painful it is for him to do. Each area that is covered and put into perspective brings a new sense of relief and hope, though.

Recently, my C gave me a couple of books to read. Both are about how children are affected by trauma at each stage of development and how that effect thier relationships in as adults. One of the books (The Struggle For Intamacy) is written specifically for ACOA's, but would also be helpful to anyone who lived through sustained trauma in childhood. The other books (Getting the Love You Want/Keeping the Love You Find)--I thought they would be hokey, but they have been very helpful, especially the second one.

Anyway, I hope that hijacking your thread to tell you some of my story will be somehow helpful in your sitch with your wife.

Good luck to you.
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 08/25/03 11:22 AM
Hey, C.... a lot of stuff to think about in these last two posts!

HOw are things going today?

You turn the AC off in your igloo yet?

j
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 08/25/03 05:28 PM
Thanks Paul and Talista for visiting and always good to see
you J! All input is very welcome. I always thought it was
amazing that my W never blamed or talked about her youth
(used it as an excuse so to speak) now I'm thinking that wasn't a good thing as she's never dealt with it.
I don't know what the issues are, but I know there is the possibilty of sexual abuse (she says not) but her sister
claims she was abused by their mothers boyfriend so who knows? There were some other very traumatic experiences
that would unsettle any one. I'm apparently the cause of all this though, to which I've taken ownership of the things I've done but hope there's more to it than me.
We do communicate better than we ever have and that is a real positive I think.
Just this morning P, I said to her I think she would be happy with this "plutonic" relationship for ever and after reading your post I'm sure she will. She seems to think that all she needs is time to deal with things but I think she is just avoiding the issues as she always has.
I've always realized it's up to her and her alone to "help" herself and it's my decision whether I stay or go ,I do need/want more from a relationship than this but I owe it to her, the children, myself to try everthing possible (earn my way out) to make this M work.
It is just so incredibly frustrating to see these people struggle through life and miss all the great things it has to offer.
J cooler weather on the horizon so igloo a/c turned down. C.
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 08/26/03 01:31 PM
Hey, C....
Quote:

She seems to think that all she needs is time to deal with things but I think she is just avoiding the issues as she always has.
Sounds a lot like my W!

You, tho, have been able to stay with her and be a support for her. I commend you, Spitfire.

Hope the igloo holds out for the winter (starts up there next week, doesn't it? )

j, in balmy Maryland
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 09/02/03 10:33 AM
We continue to make progress with the communication issue
W is really trying. I continue to get more and more out of
her regarding her anger towards me, the latest is shes angry with me for not moving to England years ago (I said I would if things didn't work out here job wise ,and I thought they were) but she apparently had other ideas. In hind sight I should have moved back before the kids were born as I'm sure we would have ended up back here any way it's a much better enviroment for the kids here and I'm sure were a lot better off financialy (she knows this deep down). It saddens me though to see the pain she's going through, but I guess it's a part of the process.
No snow yet J but any time now LOL! C.
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 09/09/03 04:08 PM
Hey, C....don't let the past get you down. Especially since it seems you made the right decision about moving anyway!

It sure seems like the MLC alien will never leave....but Michele and others say it will happen. Check out Snodderly's thread on MLC forum (the one about MLC). It may give you a boost.

Hope your autumn lasts more than a week or so!

j
Posted By: SPITFIRE Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 09/11/03 10:47 AM
Hey J where you hanging these days? W does seem be ever so slowly moving out of her MLC tunnel (but boy is it a slow process). We continue to improve our communicate skills and I find this very rewarding as I always felt in the past many issues were unresolved or ignored (I also realize now that not all issues are resolvable but at least
were communicating without the anger) I also know I will
eventually need more from her but am prepared to give it every chance to work. I do give her a little nudge now and
again so she knows I'm serious!C.
Posted By: Jorge Re: Alien finally recalled to mothership? - 09/17/03 05:13 PM
Quote:

I also realize now that not all issues are resolvable but at least were communicating without the anger

Good stuff there, C! And you can use that wherever you go. I think I am better at that, too....at least with people at work. Don't get much chance to try it out on W these days....

Keep on nudging, C. (You got your igloo insulated yet?)

j
© DivorceBusting.com