Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: jp787 Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/17/13 02:34 PM
Last thread: Coffee with Cream 2

Hello... Hmmm it looks the same over here, wait... I see a huge mountain... Is that for me? whistle
Posted By: chasingpavements Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/18/13 02:07 AM
Hi jp

Yep, wonder what the view is like from the top smile

Just read through your last thread. I really liked what you said here,
[/quote=jp787]
My goal is to get to a point to where I can plan and if it falls apart, then I rool with it instead of getting rolled up in it.
[/quote]

I need to adopt more of your attitude, of rolling with the changes, and not letting fear of uncertainty hold me down.

-cp
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/18/13 01:41 PM
Wife is moving home this weekend.

More nervous that excited, guess that's normal after nine months away.
Posted By: TryingToDo180 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/18/13 02:56 PM
Hope the weekend goes ok smile
Posted By: cbtdad Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/18/13 11:58 PM
Haven't lived together for 9 months. Completely acceptable and understandable to be nervous. She will be as well. Feel those emotions and understand why you are having them. You will be awesome new JP!! Keep trucking forward.
Wife and I are moving into the new house tomorrow so I hope you and I both have very happy weekends!
Posted By: lovethehub Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/19/13 12:22 AM
I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! Just keep focusing on the important things and the rest will fall into place smile
Posted By: labug Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/19/13 02:47 PM
I agree with ChasingPavement, you can't have glorious vistas without getting to the top of the mountain.

Leave that half-empty glass behind.
Posted By: uRworthy Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/19/13 03:35 PM
Hey J, thought I'd come visit you here. smile

So, big weekend, right?

Really important to remember the things you've learned. Most important, be the man you want to be.

You know J, I feel like you've been holding your breath all this time. I'd like to see you let it out.

Just go with it, ya know?

Your family is back together. You've grown a lot. She hopefully has, too.

There is still a lot of work to be done. Without a doubt. But, this weekend, put all the crap aside, the worry aside and just enjoy what you've accomplished. Enjoy your family.

Still plenty of time to work through all the other things. Today, be joyful. Be positive. Show her that you can be.

You can do that, right? I have faith in you.
Posted By: lovethehub Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/19/13 06:34 PM
Buy a bottle of champagne and toast your future (Unless there is a drinking problem for either of you, I don't remember one though) Make a big deal out of it. Tonight, after moving all day, give her a back rub with some nice lotion or oil and let the rest happen...welcome home W smile
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/21/13 04:25 PM
Well weekend went fair. I really backed off and withdrew. I have a lot of "working on my sh1t" to do. I am so confused as to what is going on with me.
Posted By: uRworthy Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/21/13 08:51 PM
Hmmm, what do you think is going on with you, J?

Could be that you are really anxious about this big step. Could be that you built it up in your head and it wasnt what you thought.

What are your thoughts? Why did you withdraw?
Posted By: lovethehub Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/22/13 01:41 AM
Quote:
Well weekend went fair. I really backed off and withdrew. I have a lot of "working on my sh1t" to do. I am so confused as to what is going on with me.

Yes, you do. Think about how your W felt when you did this. She is taking a chance on you just as much as you are on her; she made the decision to move back home based on how you have been acting and then she moves in and you withdraw right away. This is unfair to her. Sometimes you have to 'man up' in a situation; look at what is going on and decide right then and there "Is what I am doing fair? Is it good for our M? Does W deserve this treatment?" You can't always allow yourself to hide behind the fact that you have work to do, sometimes you just have to decide in the moment that you are being a d*@k and change your behavior on the spot!
Posted By: chasingpavements Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/22/13 03:53 PM
Jp, from what I have read, I think you need to take a long, hard look as to the reason(s) why you felt you withdrew over the weekend. Is it too much pressure? Are the expectations too great? Are you worried, or trying to protect yourself from getting hurt?

Hopefully you are able to open yourself up again in order to communicate with your W. Perhaps you could even tell her something like, "sorry I was a little off on the weekend, but I feel better now, lets go do something fun".

-cp
Posted By: PatientMan Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/22/13 08:38 PM
jp,

Remember that your instinct may tell you to self-sabotage. Be cognizant of this so you can combat it with the knowledge of the truth of your end goal...focusing on the bigger picture and applying what you've learned along your journey.

I'm proud of you and very happy that you're in this forum now.

-PM
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/23/13 07:02 PM
Originally Posted By: uRworthy
Hmmm, what do you think is going on with you, J?

Could be that you are really anxious about this big step. Could be that you built it up in your head and it wasnt what you thought.

What are your thoughts? Why did you withdraw?

Hi UR.
I think it was a lot of things or is a lot of things. It’s been nine months that it has been just me and the girls and I hate giving that up, maybe that sounds weird, but I think it makes sense.

I do feel anxiety about having expectations, but those are expectations that I placed in my head, no one else.

I think I fear confrontation so much that I am seeing this as confrontation, that she is home and watching me, that I have to act a certain way, do things and act in a way that I am supposed to, be the new me all the time, not let my guard down <<< If that doesn’t say I changed for her…wow! Still need to make it for me, so I want it just because I want it.

Originally Posted By: lovethehub
Quote:

Yes, you do. Think about how your W felt when you did this. She is taking a chance on you just as much as you are on her; she made the decision to move back home based on how you have been acting and then she moves in and you withdraw right away. This is unfair to her. Sometimes you have to 'man up' in a situation; look at what is going on and decide right then and there "Is what I am doing fair? Is it good for our M? Does W deserve this treatment?" You can't always allow yourself to hide behind the fact that you have work to do, sometimes you just have to decide in the moment that you are being a d*@k and change your behavior on the spot!

I agree. I am still very selfish in how I worry about how I feel, how it affects me. It’s time to put someone else first for once. I think this will be the hardest change for me to make.

Originally Posted By: chasingpavements
Jp, from what I have read, I think you need to take a long, hard look as to the reason(s) why you felt you withdrew over the weekend. Is it too much pressure? Are the expectations too great? Are you worried, or trying to protect yourself from getting hurt?

Hopefully you are able to open yourself up again in order to communicate with your W. Perhaps you could even tell her something like, "sorry I was a little off on the weekend, but I feel better now, lets go do something fun".

-cp

I am afraid and need to decide if I am ready or not. If I am then I need put everything in the past in the past bucket and walk away from it.

Originally Posted By: PatientMan
jp,

Remember that your instinct may tell you to self-sabotage. Be cognizant of this so you can combat it with the knowledge of the truth of your end goal...focusing on the bigger picture and applying what you've learned along your journey.

I'm proud of you and very happy that you're in this forum now.

-PM

Thanks for stopping by, it’s quiet over here!

Ugn my self-sabotaging… Yeah, that is something that I defiantly do and need to stop. I think if I could reformat myself and start from scratch it would be easier than fixing all my faults, but here I am, so…

Thanks for the support.
Posted By: lovethehub Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/24/13 12:59 AM
JP,

You have changed a lot already. Take some time to sit and reflect on how far you have come and it will give you the strength to overcome that fear and move forward. Now go get that bucket, dump the past in it, bury it and walk away hand in hand with your W!
Posted By: PatientMan Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/24/13 03:28 PM
Originally Posted By: jp787

Ugn my self-sabotaging… Yeah, that is something that I defiantly do and need to stop. I think if I could reformat myself and start from scratch it would be easier than fixing all my faults, but here I am, so…

Thanks for the support.

I am a self-saboteur as well, remember? Our kind needs to help each other out from time to time...keep each other in check.

-PM
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/24/13 06:41 PM
Originally Posted By: gabbysmom23

But after over 24 hours of labor and then a c section, my H calls me in the hospital as he was trying to pay the mortgage ( I normally took care of the bills). And due to sleep deprivation and worrying about my newborn I couldn't remember the online password. He yelled at me, my dad was there in the house with him overheard him and yelled at him.

It's called narccissm. Can't empathize with anything that doesn't directly involve him. Can't see outside of the narrow tunnel that is their world.

I just had to post this to my thread, I need to remember this.
Posted By: uRworthy Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/25/13 12:18 AM
Hey you. Ok, I see you posting on other's threads and I think to myself, man, he says some good stuff.

But then I come here and I read you saying the same things you have been saying for a long, long time.

So, what gives, J?

Come on now, you gotta dig deep here.

I almost feel like you just dont want to work too hard. Easier to just say, oh well, I self sabotage. Oh well, I think only of myself.

You have to do the work, J, if you want to have a life fulfilled.

I mean, you can just keep on going the way you are, but, what does that get you? More of the same.

So, let's go. Take off your gloves and start digging.

I'll get you started.

Why do you think you only think of yourself? How does that serve you?

What are you afraid of?

What havent you faced?

Get to gettin.
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/30/13 02:14 PM
Originally Posted By: uRworthy
Hey you. Ok, I see you posting on other's threads and I think to myself, man, he says some good stuff.

But then I come here and I read you saying the same things you have been saying for a long, long time.

So, what gives, J?

Come on now, you gotta dig deep here.

I almost feel like you just dont want to work too hard. Easier to just say, oh well, I self sabotage. Oh well, I think only of myself.

You have to do the work, J, if you want to have a life fulfilled.

I mean, you can just keep on going the way you are, but, what does that get you? More of the same.

So, let's go. Take off your gloves and start digging.

I'll get you started.

Why do you think you only think of yourself? How does that serve you? I think I get my needs met by being selfish, it gives me a sense of control.

What are you afraid of? What am I not afraid of… Success, getting hurt, work.

What havent you faced? Something, several things… I honestly feel like I am blind to seeing what I am afraid of, of what I fear. My W came back from therapy and said I got to visit her in kindergarten, during her therapy session.

She was doing EMDR and was talking about how she felt empty, worthless when I rejected her. Her therapist said go back to when you first felt that feeling, she said kindergarten/ first grade. Then she said when was a time before that when you felt safe, worthy. She said in kindergarten, she talked about how a teacher did and said something. So in her head she went back there and took me with her, then faced the fear with me and dealt with it. Well W said it better than I have, but the point I try to make is she can jump to a memory, a time and place and when it happened, what was said and close her eyes and see it replay like watching a movie. Me, Sh1t I sit there with my mouth hanging open thinking I have a hard time pulling out how I am feeling in the here and now, let alone remembering anything. Just wish I could do that too.

Get to gettin.
Posted By: chasingpavements Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/30/13 02:27 PM
jp, You stated you are not afraid of getting hurt. Are you sure? I am wondering if your self-sabotaging is an instinct for protecting yourself against getting hurt. You also feel the need to be in control. Do you feel that what you have is too good to last, and feel it will fail, so your self-sabotaging in order to remain in control?
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 10/30/13 02:36 PM
Originally Posted By: chasingpavements
jp, You stated you are not afraid of getting hurt. Are you sure? I am wondering if your self-sabotaging is an instinct for protecting yourself against getting hurt. You also feel the need to be in control. Do you feel that what you have is too good to last, and feel it will fail, so your self-sabotaging in order to remain in control? I do think you hot the nail on the head there

What are you afraid of? What am I not afraid of… Success, getting hurt, work.

Good grief! I need to read what I write
Posted By: lovethehub Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/02/13 05:27 PM
Jp, what's been going on the last couple of weeks? Are you still questioning things? Still withdrawn? Are things going well?
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/04/13 07:51 PM
LTH, Thanks for asking.

A truth, I am not ready. I have not done my work.

That said I am not backing out, but finding that I missed a great opportunity to work on myself when I was alone, at least from W.

Moving forward on an ice covered hill.

I am quite certain I have found the voice I need to silence or change. "I am not good enough"
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/04/13 09:32 PM
I missed a great opportunity to work on myself when I was alone, at least from W.

I don't know why some of you didn't tell me to work on myself while my W was gone!

^^That is humor, no bricks please smile
Posted By: uRworthy Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/04/13 09:34 PM
Hmmm. So, you are not ready and didnt do the work?

What does that mean moving forward? I'm thinking you need to get to gettin for real, J.

I am loving that you have found the voice to silence those feelings. Good on you.
Posted By: labug Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/05/13 12:50 AM
jp, I was going to send you something in the alt world but you're no longer there!

You're a difficult man to keep track of.

We are all works in progress.
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/06/13 12:40 AM
Moving forward with working on me. Taking those heavy steps I have been so afraid to take.

Becoming something I have never been or don't remember being. It feel all so foreign and scary.

I feel like I am blindfolded and being asked to walk and not stop.
Posted By: PatientMan Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/06/13 05:03 PM
Moving forward with working on me. Taking those heavy steps I have been so afraid to take.

Becoming something I have never been or don't remember being. It feel all so foreign and scary.

I feel like I am blindfolded and being asked to walk and not stop...

...in an endless field of nothing but soft grass in all directions, with the sun shining down on you and a light breeze on your face.

You got this!

-PM
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/06/13 07:30 PM
I ran across this and thought I would share.

10 Things That Have Made All The Difference in our marriage

1. Weekly Questions: For the past five years Tim and I have been asking each other the same five questions every Sunday night. These questions have made the biggest difference in how we love and serve one another throughout the week. If you're going to incorporate one of these 10 things into your marriage, we hope it's this one.

2. A Small Metal Box: After reading this story, Tim and I made a pact that each time we made love we would put a dollar in a special metal box and save it for our 50th anniversary trip to Hawaii. This has surprisingly been a great way for us to creatively pursue intimacy with one another over the years. Our only advice would be to not count the money in your box. Focus on quality, not quantity.

3. Traveling Journal: There is a journal we share that's filled with words that would make you blush. We take turns writing in it, always hiding it for the other to find in an unexpected place. It's been found duct taped to our shower, in suitcases when traveling, even in the refrigerator behind the Cool Whip. (Pretty sure Husband was trying to tell me something). Overall, this has been a great way for us to verbally affirm and encourage one another.

4. We (try and) Conflict Well: Conflict is inevitable in relationships, but we believe it exists to make us better, not bitter. We try and keep short accounts with one other by sharing our disappointments and hurt feelings. This isn't always easy but it's necessary in maintaining marital oneness. From experience we know there's nothing more damaging to our relationship than harbored bitterness.

5. We Play Together: Husband and I have chosen to be active together. Whether it's tossing the Frisbee, flying our kite, going on walks, participating in adventure races, reading bedtime stories, or building forts in our living room, playing together has helped us find our inner child. It has also reminded me that being active together can be romantic. After all, deep down I know Husband wants me to be his sidekick when it comes to doing "guy things" with him. Realizing this has been critical in helping us stay connected both physically and emotionally.

6. We Pray Together: One of our favorite ways to end the day is by praying together. We pray for our friends, family, and for wisdom in our marriage. Though our prayers are usually not longer than a couple of minutes they have made a huge difference in helping us stay spiritually connected, as well as make us more aware of each others fears and insecurities.

7. We Celebrate Each Other: Husband and I love to make a big deal out of anniversaries, birthdays, holidays, and even smaller personal accomplishments. We are each other's biggest fans, and finding a thoughtful gift or preparing a special meal can make the biggest difference in helping us feel known, loved, and celebrated.

8. We Don't Do Marriage Alone: Our trusted friends have been incredibly helpful in showing us how to work through some of the bigger issues in our marriage. It wasn't always easy to share these struggles because of our pride and embarrassment, but soon we realized that most couples were struggling with the same things we were. We've learned that isolating only hinders us from truly dealing with our hurts, habits, and hang-ups.

9. The Greatest Gift (Self Work): We realized early on in our marriage that the greatest gift we could give each other was to know ourselves. This meant working through our family of origin junk. We all have it, but so few actually sort through it; Celebrate Recovery helped show us how. It was here that we first learned to attack our problems together, instead of attacking each other about our problems.

10. We Study One Another: Someone once told us that no matter how long you've dated your spouse, the day you get married you're essentially committing your life to a total stranger. This was great advice considering how quickly people change. To say I know Tim fully after 5 yrs of marriage would be a lie. There's so much about him that I don't know about simply because I do not ask. That is why we like to interview each other regularly. It's amazing the things you can learn about your spouse when you take the time to ask both fun and creative questions.

10b. Dude Time / Girl Time: Sometimes one of the best things we can do for our marriage is to spend time apart. It blesses me when Tim is able to take a trip with his guys because I know they meet certain needs that I can't. Similarly, Tim understands that spending a weekend with my girls is critical to my overall mental health and well being. Don't get me wrong, you guys know how madly in love I am with Mr. Loerke, but sometimes all a girl needs is an uninterrupted weekend with her besties. Guys are no different.
Posted By: TryingToDo180 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/06/13 08:50 PM
That's brilliant smile I'm going to keep that in case I get a chance of R our marriage smile
Posted By: lovethehub Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/06/13 08:59 PM
I LOVE this! Thank you so much for sharing it smile
Posted By: cbtdad Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/07/13 09:59 PM
JP!! Awesome find as thanks for sharing.
You may not be where you want yet, but you have come so far. It's a marathon not a sprint. Keep working on you. Never stop. Just like you shouldn't put your marriage on "cruise control", nor Should you ever out yourself in that mode.
Keep moving forward!
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/12/13 09:43 PM
Nothing like fighting with the cell phone company to test your patience.
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/13/13 01:41 AM
So this is where I am...

Not too long ago my W was living with my mother, since she was a WAS.

I lived at home with the kids and after 9 months I was getting used to it and the girls and I were doing our thing as best we could, it was different.

My W and I talked and we communicated more than we had our entire marriage of 20 years, now almost 21. We texted, emailed, had long talks in person and were growing, learning. I had changed, to what level, I honestly do not know, but I had changed.

I was focused on my W 200% when we interacted, nothing else was more important while we were together, talking or communicating. I learned more in the last 3 months about my W than I have in 20 years. I listened, I asked questions and I paraphrased.

My W came out of where she had gone and was back, back with me. She says it was kind of like tough love for me, that she never gave up on us, yet she lost herself. She was scared, tired, ANGRY, hurt, alone, sexually deprived and had to get out. Her leaving was her way of meeting her basic needs of surviving, it was necessary. She had a childhood of trauma, a marriage of trauma and was broken. I take a large part in the demise of our marriage, she had a part, but it was me who dug the hole and talked her into getting in to it with me, she allowed herself to get in. Yes she was at the point of leaving for good, not what she really wanted, but she had reached her turning point.

Through IC we have found out that we are both broken, that we both have no idea what a healthy marriage is like, neither of us have experience nor healthy models. We are extremely codependent, neither of us knows how to be in a relationship without the codependency.

With IC and MC and self-awareness we are learning new tools, new ways to communicate. New ways to think and see, it is foreign at times and hard to grasp.

Over the last few weeks I have changed and not in a good way. I have gone from (before BD) to being compulsive/obsessive with online porn, to (after BD) being compulsive/obsessive with getting my W back to current, compulsive/obsessive with fear. My focus is now on the fear that she will leave again, about EA with OM. I was doing what she wanted and needed and she came back, something switched and I changed my focus to the fear, which will drive her away.

I am very aware of what I am doing and have thoughts on why. My goal now is to go back to how I was a few weeks ago, to be in this 100% and not let fear run me. I need to face my fears. With that said I have found out what motivates me and it is about the only thing that will… Fear. So another goal is to find out why I seem to need to be compulsive/obsessive about something at all times and to change my motivation from fear to what I want for me.

My first real step is coming soon, as I said I changed (and I liked what I saw and felt), yet I never took a real step. I have yet to take that first step for me, so here I go. During my last IC session we talked about how I can talk and talk and talk, yet never act, most of you know this of me.

As a good friend has said more than twice, take a leap of faith.

So I am doing that.

Thanks for all who have followed me. The roller coaster is about to stop and I am going to bungee jump now…
Posted By: chasingpavements Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/13/13 02:32 AM
jp, I think it is a good starting point for you to realize where your weakness is, own it, and look for ways to overcome it. Your journey may have been a rollercoaster, as mine has been as well, and you have come such a long way. You are at a good point right now. You are working on things, working on your marriage.

I understand the fear thing. I have the same feelings. For me, I have heard so many hurtful things from my husband, like he had been 'playing along' and hadn't loved me for years. So now I am afraid that the same thing will happen again. You are right, it is like taking a leap of faith. And we all know how that dreaded limbo can be, and how difficult it is to have uncertainty.. sometimes we need to just have faith. Faith that things will all work out, one way or another.

Right now it is fear that motivates you perhaps, but perhaps there is something else that can motivate you, to move forward. Keep on living that mantra of UrWorthy's that is on your signature, and keep moving forward, letting go, and making changes. smile
Posted By: lovethehub Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/13/13 11:00 AM
Quote:
I am very aware of what I am doing and have thoughts on why. My goal now is to go back to how I was a few weeks ago, to be in this 100% and not let fear run me. I need to face my fears. With that said I have found out what motivates me and it is about the only thing that will… Fear. So another goal is to find out why I seem to need to be compulsive/obsessive about something at all times and to change my motivation from fear to what I want for me.

JP,
Is your W aware that you know what you are doing, that you are working on overcoming it and are discussing it in IC? Be sure to keep her in the loop or you are damaging your M while you work on not damaging it.

You can do this. We all know that you can so face it head on, deal with it and move forward as a whole person.
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/13/13 01:56 PM
LTH,
Yes she is aware, we talk about it in MC and on our own.
Thank you
Posted By: labug Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/13/13 02:41 PM
What are your compulsions?
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/13/13 03:02 PM
Might be easier to say what they are not smile

It can be about anything.
Posted By: labug Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/13/13 03:16 PM
I guess my question is, do you see your seeking reassurance as the compulsion Or does the temporary decrease in anxiety fromt he reassurance hold off a compulsion?
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/13/13 03:38 PM
I would say it is a cycle for me and that cycle becomes a compulsion.

I seek reassurance (anxiety). I get reassurance (relief/fix). It fades and more anxiety, so I seek more reassurance. Just like a drug, the feel good period get shorter and shorter and I seek more and more reassurance.

This is something I need to find with-in myself. Self reassurance, self soothing.

Funny note... Example of our codependence. W was in her IC and was asked by therapist if I knew how to self sooth, W without thinking, said "I haven't taught him that yet" They both laughed as did I when told the story. We all know the significance of what was said and meant as it was part of our codependence.
Posted By: labug Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/13/13 03:46 PM
Have you ever faced what happens when you don't ask and don't ask and don't ask?
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/13/13 03:49 PM
Up to a point, then I give in or it may turn to anger...resentment (in my head)

This is why I have to get away from thinking about just me. I need to start thinking about others, step in their shoes, if that makes sense.
Posted By: Ambivalent Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/14/13 01:39 PM
Hi JP,

I've just read your recent thread. Have you considered getting help for the Obsession/Compulsion cycling? I don't mean a social worker or psychologist. But MD, or psychiatrist? I have OCD and it is not something that can be controlled from deep within.

It has to do with serotonin and how our brain and body produce and use it. When one adds stress to someone with this, it creates the behaviors. Now, medication does not cure it, but it does allow for one to step back, calmly assess and use skills learned.

You are under an incredible amount of stress presently. You are trying to handle this on your own, and perhaps with all of us watching and rooting you on! C;

My point, don't be afraid to try a med. It can interrupt the obsessive thoughts and the compulsion to act on them.

I can speak to this personally, and I have seen my daughter's success on the same prescription I use. It helps with depression and OCD. It helps with mood swings, and it is not addictive, one's body does depend on it, but it is not an over riding need for an increase in dosage to do it's job.

The more pressure you place on yourself, the more you stimulate the obsession/compulsion cycle.

I am rooting for you, and the success of your marriage. You can do this, and you WILL do this!

<3<3<3<3's
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/14/13 06:12 PM
Thanks Ambivalent.

I take and have taken an AD for years. I just went back to Prozac from taking many others over the years. I think the body gets used to a certain drug after a couple years. Be on Ad since I was in my early 20's.

I am on the Prozac for depression/anxiety/OCD.

I know I have some degree of OCD, not like washing hands over and over or re checking a lock or stove, but I do get caught up in my thoughts smile
Posted By: lovethehub Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/15/13 12:28 AM
Inositol! Remember?? smile
Posted By: labug Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/15/13 02:42 PM
There are many different kinds of OCD. I was surprised to learn that, too. It's not all about washing hands.
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/21/13 01:06 AM
Found this and wanted to share smile

Below are 20 wise marriage tips from a man that was recently divorced. You wouldn’t normally think that a divorced man would give good advice on being a husband, but this man has been through enough hardship to know what is worth fighting for:

MARRIAGE ADVICE I WISH I WOULD HAVE HAD:

Obviously, I’m not a relationship expert. But there’s something about my divorce being finalized this week that gives me perspective of things I wish I would have done different… After losing a woman that I loved, and a marriage of almost 16 years, here’s the advice I wish I would have had…

1) Never stop courting. Never stop dating. NEVER EVER take that woman for granted. When you asked her to marry you, you promised to be that man that would OWN HER HEART and to fiercely protect it. This is the most important and sacred treasure you will ever be entrusted with. SHE CHOSE YOU. Never forget that, and NEVER GET LAZY in your love.

divorce advice

2) PROTECT YOUR OWN HEART. Just as you committed to being the protector of her heart, you must guard your own with the same vigilance. Love yourself fully, love the world openly, but there is a special place in your heart where no one must enter except for your wife. Keep that space always ready to receive her and invite her in, and refuse to let anyone or anything else enter there.

3) FALL IN LOVE OVER and OVER and OVER again. You will constantly change. You’re not the same people you were when you got married, and in five years you will not be the same person you are today. Change will come, and in that you have to re-choose each other everyday. SHE DOESN’T HAVE TO STAY WITH YOU, and if you don’t take care of her heart, she may give that heart to someone else or seal you out completely, and you may never be able to get it back. Always fight to win her love just as you did when you were courting her.

4) ALWAYS SEE THE BEST in her. Focus only on what you love. What you focus on will expand. If you focus on what bugs you, all you will see is reasons to be bugged. If you focus on what you love, you can’t help but be consumed by love. Focus to the point where you can no longer see anything but love, and you know without a doubt that you are the luckiest man on earth to be have this woman as your wife.

5) IT’S NOT YOUR JOB TO CHANGE OR FIX HER… your job is to love her as she is with no expectation of her ever changing. And if she changes, love what she becomes, whether it’s what you wanted or not.

6) TAKE FULL ACCOUNTABILITY for your own emotions: It’s not your wife’s job to make you happy, and she CAN’T make you sad. You are responsible for finding your own happiness, and through that your joy will spill over into your relationship and your love.

7) NEVER BLAME your wife If YOU get frustrated or angry at her, it is only because it is triggering something inside of YOU. They are YOUR emotions, and your responsibility. When you feel those feelings take time to get present and to look within and understand what it is inside of YOU that is asking to be healed. You were attracted to this woman because she was the person best suited to trigger all of your childhood wounds in the most painful way so that you could heal them… when you heal yourself, you will no longer be triggered by her, and you will wonder why you ever were.

Allow your woman to JUST BE. When she’s sad or upset, it’s not your job to fix it, it’s your job to HOLD HER and let her know it’s ok. Let her know that you hear her, and that she’s important and that you are that pillar on which she can always lean. The feminine spirit is about change and emotion and like a storm her emotions will roll in and out, and as you remain strong and unjudging she will trust you and open her soul to you… DON’T RUN-AWAY WHEN SHE’S UPSET. Stand present and strong and let her know you aren’t going anywhere. Listen to what she is really saying behind the words and emotion.

9) BE SILLY… don’t take yourself so damn seriously. Laugh. And make her laugh. Laughter makes everything else easier.

10) FILL HER SOUL EVERYDAY… learn her love languages and the specific ways that she feels important and validated and CHERISHED. Ask her to create a list of 10 THINGS that make her feel loved and memorize those things and make it a priority everyday to make her feel like a queen.

11) BE PRESENT. Give her not only your time, but your focus, your attention and your soul. Do whatever it takes to clear your head so that when you are with her you are fully WITH HER. Treat her as you would your most valuable client. She is.

12) BE WILLING TO TAKE HER SEXUALLY, to carry her away in the power of your masculine presence, to consume her and devour her with your strength, and to penetrate her to the deepest levels of her soul. Let her melt into her feminine softness as she knows she can trust you fully.

13) DON’T BE AN IDIOT…. And don’t be afraid of being one either. You will make mistakes and so will she. Try not to make too big of mistakes, and learn from the ones you do make. You’re not supposed to be perfect, just try to not be too stupid.

14) GIVE HER SPACE… The woman is so good at giving and giving, and sometimes she will need to be reminded to take time to nurture herself. Sometimes she will need to fly from your branches to go and find what feeds her soul, and if you give her that space she will come back with new songs to sing…. (okay, getting a little too poetic here, but you get the point. Tell her to take time for herself, ESPECIALLY after you have kids. She needs that space to renew and get re-centered, and to find herself after she gets lost in serving you, the kids and the world.)

15) BE VULNERABLE… you don’t have to have it all together. Be willing to share your fears and feelings, and quick to acknowledge your mistakes.

16) BE FULLY TRANSPARENT. If you want to have trust you must be willing to share EVERYTHING… Especially those things you don’t want to share. It takes courage to fully love, to fully open your heart and let her in when you don’t know i she will like what she finds… Part of that courage is allowing her to love you completely, your darkness as well as your light. DROP THE MASK… If you feel like you need to wear a mask around her, and show up perfect all the time, you will never experience the full dimension of what love can be.

17) NEVER STOP GROWING TOGETHER… The stagnant pond breeds malaria, the flowing stream is always fresh and cool. Atrophy is the natural process when you stop working a muscle, just as it is if you stop working on your relationship. Find common goals, dreams and visions to work towards.

18) DON’T WORRY ABOUT MONEY. Money is a game, find ways to work together as a team to win it. It never helps when teammates fight. Figure out ways to leverage both persons strength to win.

19) FORGIVE IMMEDIATELY and focus on the future rather than carrying weight from the past. Don’t let your history hold you hostage. Holding onto past mistakes that either you or she makes, is like a heavy anchor to your marriage and will hold you back. FORGIVENESS IS FREEDOM. Cut the anchor loose and always choose love.

20) ALWAYS CHOOSE LOVE. ALWAYS CHOOSE LOVE. ALWAYS CHOOSE LOVE. In the end, this is the only advice you need. If this is the guiding principle through which all your choices is governed, there is nothing that will threaten the happiness of your marriage. Love will always endure.

In the end MARRIAGE isn’t about Happily ever after. It’s about work. And a commitment to grow together and a willingness to continually invest in creating something that can endure eternity. Through that work, the happiness will come.

Marriage is life, and it will bring ups and downs. Embracing all of the cycles and learning to learn from and love each experience will bring the strength and perspective to keep building, one brick at a time.

These are lessons I learned the hard way. These are lessons I learned too late.

But these are lessons I am learning and committed in carrying forward. Truth is, I LOVED being married, and in time, I will get married again, and when I do, I will build it with a foundation that will endure any storm and any amount of time.

If you are reading this and find wisdom in my pain, share it those those young husbands whose hearts are still full of hope, and with those couples you may know who may have forgotten how to love. One of those men may be like I was, and in these hard earned lessons perhaps something will awaken in him and he will learn to be the man his lady has been waiting for.

The woman that told him ‘I do’, and trusted her life with him, has been waiting for this man to step up.

If you are reading this and your marriage isn’t what you want it to be, take 100% responsibility for YOUR PART in marriage, regardless of where your spouse is at, and commit to applying these lessons while there is time.

MEN- THIS IS YOUR CHARGE : Commit to being an EPIC LOVER. There is no greater challenge, and no greater prize. Your woman deserves that from you.

Be the type of husband your wife can’t help but brag about.
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/21/13 09:12 PM
W left a bag on my truck with hershy kisses and a card that was personal.

Signed it:
xoxoxox
Yours
W

It was nice, reminds me of when we first met.

My turn now smile
Posted By: kenva Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/21/13 09:21 PM
God bless you. Reading this inspires me. Thank you. Good luck.
Posted By: Melting Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/22/13 11:01 PM
Thank you for posting the Marriage Advice from the newly divorced gentleman. Even though it was written by a man for other men, I took a lot away from that.
Posted By: CallaghanClown Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 11/30/13 01:00 PM
Found this and wanted to share smile

Below are 20 wise marriage tips from a man that was recently divorced. You wouldn’t normally think that a divorced man would give good advice on being a husband, but this man has been through enough hardship to know what is worth fighting for:

MARRIAGE ADVICE I WISH I WOULD HAVE HAD:

Obviously, I’m not a relationship expert. But there’s something about my divorce being finalized this week that gives me perspective of things I wish I would have done different… After losing a woman that I loved, and a marriage of almost 16 years, here’s the advice I wish I would have had…

1) Never stop courting. Never stop dating. NEVER EVER take that woman for granted. When you asked her to marry you, you promised to be that man that would OWN HER HEART and to fiercely protect it. This is the most important and sacred treasure you will ever be entrusted with. SHE CHOSE YOU. Never forget that, and NEVER GET LAZY in your love.

divorce advice

2) PROTECT YOUR OWN HEART. Just as you committed to being the protector of her heart, you must guard your own with the same vigilance. Love yourself fully, love the world openly, but there is a special place in your heart where no one must enter except for your wife. Keep that space always ready to receive her and invite her in, and refuse to let anyone or anything else enter there.

3) FALL IN LOVE OVER and OVER and OVER again. You will constantly change. You’re not the same people you were when you got married, and in five years you will not be the same person you are today. Change will come, and in that you have to re-choose each other everyday. SHE DOESN’T HAVE TO STAY WITH YOU, and if you don’t take care of her heart, she may give that heart to someone else or seal you out completely, and you may never be able to get it back. Always fight to win her love just as you did when you were courting her.

4) ALWAYS SEE THE BEST in her. Focus only on what you love. What you focus on will expand. If you focus on what bugs you, all you will see is reasons to be bugged. If you focus on what you love, you can’t help but be consumed by love. Focus to the point where you can no longer see anything but love, and you know without a doubt that you are the luckiest man on earth to be have this woman as your wife.

5) IT’S NOT YOUR JOB TO CHANGE OR FIX HER… your job is to love her as she is with no expectation of her ever changing. And if she changes, love what she becomes, whether it’s what you wanted or not.

6) TAKE FULL ACCOUNTABILITY for your own emotions: It’s not your wife’s job to make you happy, and she CAN’T make you sad. You are responsible for finding your own happiness, and through that your joy will spill over into your relationship and your love.

7) NEVER BLAME your wife If YOU get frustrated or angry at her, it is only because it is triggering something inside of YOU. They are YOUR emotions, and your responsibility. When you feel those feelings take time to get present and to look within and understand what it is inside of YOU that is asking to be healed. You were attracted to this woman because she was the person best suited to trigger all of your childhood wounds in the most painful way so that you could heal them… when you heal yourself, you will no longer be triggered by her, and you will wonder why you ever were.

Allow your woman to JUST BE. When she’s sad or upset, it’s not your job to fix it, it’s your job to HOLD HER and let her know it’s ok. Let her know that you hear her, and that she’s important and that you are that pillar on which she can always lean. The feminine spirit is about change and emotion and like a storm her emotions will roll in and out, and as you remain strong and unjudging she will trust you and open her soul to you… DON’T RUN-AWAY WHEN SHE’S UPSET. Stand present and strong and let her know you aren’t going anywhere. Listen to what she is really saying behind the words and emotion.

9) BE SILLY… don’t take yourself so damn seriously. Laugh. And make her laugh. Laughter makes everything else easier.

10) FILL HER SOUL EVERYDAY… learn her love languages and the specific ways that she feels important and validated and CHERISHED. Ask her to create a list of 10 THINGS that make her feel loved and memorize those things and make it a priority everyday to make her feel like a queen.

11) BE PRESENT. Give her not only your time, but your focus, your attention and your soul. Do whatever it takes to clear your head so that when you are with her you are fully WITH HER. Treat her as you would your most valuable client. She is.

12) BE WILLING TO TAKE HER SEXUALLY, to carry her away in the power of your masculine presence, to consume her and devour her with your strength, and to penetrate her to the deepest levels of her soul. Let her melt into her feminine softness as she knows she can trust you fully.

13) DON’T BE AN IDIOT…. And don’t be afraid of being one either. You will make mistakes and so will she. Try not to make too big of mistakes, and learn from the ones you do make. You’re not supposed to be perfect, just try to not be too stupid.

14) GIVE HER SPACE… The woman is so good at giving and giving, and sometimes she will need to be reminded to take time to nurture herself. Sometimes she will need to fly from your branches to go and find what feeds her soul, and if you give her that space she will come back with new songs to sing…. (okay, getting a little too poetic here, but you get the point. Tell her to take time for herself, ESPECIALLY after you have kids. She needs that space to renew and get re-centered, and to find herself after she gets lost in serving you, the kids and the world.)

15) BE VULNERABLE… you don’t have to have it all together. Be willing to share your fears and feelings, and quick to acknowledge your mistakes.

16) BE FULLY TRANSPARENT. If you want to have trust you must be willing to share EVERYTHING… Especially those things you don’t want to share. It takes courage to fully love, to fully open your heart and let her in when you don’t know i she will like what she finds… Part of that courage is allowing her to love you completely, your darkness as well as your light. DROP THE MASK… If you feel like you need to wear a mask around her, and show up perfect all the time, you will never experience the full dimension of what love can be.

17) NEVER STOP GROWING TOGETHER… The stagnant pond breeds malaria, the flowing stream is always fresh and cool. Atrophy is the natural process when you stop working a muscle, just as it is if you stop working on your relationship. Find common goals, dreams and visions to work towards.

18) DON’T WORRY ABOUT MONEY. Money is a game, find ways to work together as a team to win it. It never helps when teammates fight. Figure out ways to leverage both persons strength to win.

19) FORGIVE IMMEDIATELY and focus on the future rather than carrying weight from the past. Don’t let your history hold you hostage. Holding onto past mistakes that either you or she makes, is like a heavy anchor to your marriage and will hold you back. FORGIVENESS IS FREEDOM. Cut the anchor loose and always choose love.

20) ALWAYS CHOOSE LOVE. ALWAYS CHOOSE LOVE. ALWAYS CHOOSE LOVE. In the end, this is the only advice you need. If this is the guiding principle through which all your choices is governed, there is nothing that will threaten the happiness of your marriage. Love will always endure.

In the end MARRIAGE isn’t about Happily ever after. It’s about work. And a commitment to grow together and a willingness to continually invest in creating something that can endure eternity. Through that work, the happiness will come.

Marriage is life, and it will bring ups and downs. Embracing all of the cycles and learning to learn from and love each experience will bring the strength and perspective to keep building, one brick at a time.

These are lessons I learned the hard way. These are lessons I learned too late.

But these are lessons I am learning and committed in carrying forward. Truth is, I LOVED being married, and in time, I will get married again, and when I do, I will build it with a foundation that will endure any storm and any amount of time.

If you are reading this and find wisdom in my pain, share it those those young husbands whose hearts are still full of hope, and with those couples you may know who may have forgotten how to love. One of those men may be like I was, and in these hard earned lessons perhaps something will awaken in him and he will learn to be the man his lady has been waiting for.

The woman that told him ‘I do’, and trusted her life with him, has been waiting for this man to step up.

If you are reading this and your marriage isn’t what you want it to be, take 100% responsibility for YOUR PART in marriage, regardless of where your spouse is at, and commit to applying these lessons while there is time.

MEN- THIS IS YOUR CHARGE : Commit to being an EPIC LOVER. There is no greater challenge, and no greater prize. Your woman deserves that from you.

Be the type of husband your wife can’t help but brag about.

Great post. Gave me a lot to think about.
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 12/06/13 05:58 PM
Being a LBS was he11, but it gave me focus.

Being back with my W and working on everything is no bed of roses. It is hard painstaking work, it is emotionally draining and worth every bit of the effort.

To all that are fighting for reconciliation, hold hard onto your goal, but know the work you’re doing now continues and becomes much harder as a comfort level sets in.
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 12/06/13 06:18 PM
We go to counseling once a week and it is what is needed, it is helping. It can be very difficult.

We strive to have open and honest communication, making sure we word things in a way that is respectful and caring to the other. One of the hardest things about this is how to take what is said. An example:

Wife shares that she feels a certain way about something. I am to listen and validate or empathize or just listen, knowing this is how she feels and it is OK, no matter what. The problem for me is it can be very hard to not internalize or take what she is saying and placing blame on myself or falling into the role of self-pity.
We both have a hard time not taking blame or responsibility for the other. It is a very difficult thing to learn and live, allowing someone to share something and not personalizing it or making it about yourself, allowing it to be about them, even if you are part of the reason.

During our last therapy, I suggested we set a time once, twice three time, w/e per week to practice communication. Therapist said that we should ask an open ended question and the other person needs to ask to questions about what is said, validating.

Sure is going to be a long road smile
Posted By: lovethehub Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 12/07/13 06:39 PM
Be sure to include one thing you love and appreciate about each other each time!
Posted By: labug Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 12/08/13 02:36 PM
About the long road...what else do you have to do? smile

Quote:
The problem for me is it can be very hard to not internalize or take what she is saying and placing blame on myself or falling into the role of self-pity.
We both have a hard time not taking blame or responsibility for the other.
I've read this several times because I think I know the feeling.

Is it true that you are responsible for her feelings?
Posted By: Ambivalent Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 12/08/13 05:00 PM
ALL POINTS BULLETIN ALL POINTS BULLETIN:

Hey you piecing wonders, would you go check out Indigo's thread in MLC. He needs to hear from those of you whom are piecing.

He needs to here that " I'm never coming back " can change.

Thanks guys!
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 12/20/13 02:16 PM
I lay in bed last night trying to fall asleep, wife next to me snoring loudly and me watching her...

How lucky am I smile
Posted By: labug Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 12/20/13 04:06 PM
like!
Posted By: lovethehub Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 01/24/14 09:37 PM
JP, how are things?
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 01/27/14 03:25 AM
Hi LTH, thanks for asking.

I haven't been here for a while, just no sure why.

I have recently gotten back to FB with DB people though.

I am doing... Trying to find myself, trying to make me better, a long, slow and hard road. I still find myself sitting on the outside looking in at times.

Hope you are doing well, I'll see about posting more info later.

Take tare.
Posted By: jp787 Re: Building a lasting marriage 1 - 04/01/14 08:09 PM
Well Urworthy is still cracking the whip on me... Thank God ;-)

Working through some issues with sex, might jump to sex starved board...

It's reversed than normal, W wants so much and I freeze up, need to figure this crap out.
© DivorceBusting.com