Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: greatwhitenorth New Day Rising - 03/18/12 07:49 PM
Hi all

Here's a link to my last thread .

I'll start with saying I'm doing fantastic!! There is much to say about detaching, and it truly is the single most important thing you can do for yourself, provided you truly do it. It's hard at first, but when you get there it's awesome. It lends you an entirely new perspective on your situation. I will also say I am truly happier than I've been in years and am full of optimism, even if the face of potentially losing my job. I feel strong and clear minded.

I haven't engaged with H on a meaningful level in quite some time. There was some minor conversation when he came to some of this things, which included a hug and kiss on the forehead. After that I asked him to please get rid of the phone and satellite...they're in his name and I don't have authority to make changes. A week later when it still wasn't done I emailed him again and he took action. Because there were some details that whould have taken several emails to sort out, I called him. First time I'd dialed his number since he got a cell back in September. He was odd on the phone...no pleasantries at all, I suspect because I'd never called before. We got it all sorted and that was it.

In the 3-4 weeks since then I've heard from his daughter several times to tell me the important things in her life. We don't discuss her dad. Our relationship is good.

So today I'm sitting in the backyard enjoying the absolutely gorgeous hot and sunny day with some friends who were over for a bbq when the phone rang. It was H. I didn't answer.

I had been out for lunch with a different friend yesterday in a small town close to here and the server was the wife of the good friend of H who took our wedding photos. We had a really nice catch up. H's name didn't come up. At the end she said she was amazed at how strong I am and how well I'm doing. I'm sure word of this encounter got back to H....hence the phone call.

So I let the machine pick the call up. Apparently H needs to talk to me about "minor heart surgery. I'm not dying or anything but I might need to have surgery to repair a hole between the right and left atrium. Can you please call me Monday or Tuesday night."

So what is going on here? I know it's not really important WHY he needs to talk to me and trying to figure out what he's thinking is a fool's game. The important thing is HOW do I handle the conversation? My friends advised that I hear him out, wish him well, but tell him I don't play that role anymore. That feels so cruel, but it's true.

Those of you who have read my thread might remember that this has happened before. First it was the stroke clinic. No stroke. Then it was the skin cancer. Don't know how that turned out but I guess nothing. Now a hole in his heart, which appears to be real and not a fantasy of his. You might also remember that his father was sick his entire life...skin cancer, epilepsy, heart disease, kidney disease, kidney transplant, and ultimately died of a brain tumor brought on by anti-rejection drugs. I believe this is significant.

Snodderly, I know you'll have some great advice. I would LOVE to hear from others too as I want to be sure I handle this really, really well. As sD said, it's hard to see someone with so much potential screw up so bad.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 03/18/12 09:26 PM
GWN,
Return his call Tuesday evening. Listen to what he has to say and then wish him luck on his surgery...nothing more. If he attempts to engage you into small talk about what you are doing or with whom, just cut the conversation short and tell him that you have someone at the door and hangup. The less he knows about what you are doing, the better. Let him stew.
Posted By: forward Re: New Day Rising - 03/19/12 01:36 AM
GWN, I assume that he is still with OW. Well, she is there to provide the emotional support that's necessary during this time.

I had a dilemma w/X. He was very very ill and I considered whether to visit him in the hospital. We were divorced and I had started to see someone else. I ultimately decided against it because I felt my presence just would be upsetting and detrimental to his healing. OW had taken off. Guess it got real.

I would agree with what your friends say. Be kind, be sympathetic, but don't keep the conversation going for a long time.
Posted By: BeingMe Re: New Day Rising - 03/19/12 06:55 AM
Hi GWN, nice to hear you're doing well. Detachment and GAL really is awesome. laugh

I'm not sure if you should call your WAH back. As the others said, he has OW to see to his emotional and physical needs. However, if you feel you need to call for old times sake, then do so, but keep it short. Wish him luck with his op, and hope he heals quickly.

Well, that's muh thoughts. smile
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 03/19/12 12:40 PM
Thanks folks

BM, I actually thought about not calling him back but then wonder if this is his way of reaching out. Or maybe it's just the checking-in thing that they do. There hasn't been a lot of animosity between us, so to ignore his request would probably be construed as nasty.

As for OW...I don't know if she's still around or not. H's D says he told her they're finished, but I don't want to assume that's true. Plus, he hasn't said it to me. I say nothing when she mentions this and have no intention of bringing it up with him unless he wants to reconcile. In all honesty I can't see him wanting to be involved in a new relationship with this going on. He's probably almost completely overwhelmed and shut down.

I really have no idea why he feels the need to tell me about this but like so many am playing the guessing game, all the while repeating to myself "I won't get sucked in. I won't get sucked in."

I did read up on atrial septal defect and it's congenital and is repaired, if necessary, with surgery. The mortality rate is zero, but the whole surgery thing sounds pretty intense. I don't know if he knew about this before but didn't bother to tell me or if it's a new discovery. In mild cases there are often no symptoms until adulthood.

I think he's contacting me because he's scared. Apart from the boat loan (and I might still be beneficiary on his investments), our lives are no longer intertwined so there's no reason I need to be told. I certainly wouldn't tell him if I were sick. The only reason I might consider it is to immaturely get a rise out of him or try to get him back via pity. But he is not me....

Or maybe he thinks he's doing me a favour, that I'd be upset if I found out through his daughter. I'd do my research and have friendly concern but my world would not be rocked, that's for sure.

I assume he has somebody to take him to and from the hospital and look after him at home. Maybe his mother, but he's in a one bedroom so I can't imagine anybody staying there with him. I don't know what I'll do if this comes up. I'd be surprised, but if it does I'll defer any decision until I speak to the wise folk here.

I wish I had a script to follow, but I guess that's no good when you don't know how the convo will go. I'm going to be sure to empathize and validate big time (opportunity for a 180...I'm often quite analytical...this is a chance to show him my soft side) and keep the focus on him.

Thanks again! Any and all tips and insights are welcome!
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 03/20/12 12:52 AM
I was having such a great day and feeling so upbeat that I decided to call H this evening rather than wait until tomorrow.

Convo was fine. He told me about the heart situation, the study he's going to participate in as a patient, the possible surgery. I was supportive and understanding and just let him talk. I tried to get off the phone twice and he came up with something else that he needed to tell me about. Then he said "let me know when I can come and get the rest of my things out of your house" or something to that effect. And that was it.

I decided then and there that I can't do this anymore. I am in such a good place now, and when he pops up my head starts to spin. I said "Can I be frank with you?" and told him in a calm voice that I couldn't understand his need to tell me about any of this and that it threw me for a loop. He said it was because he didn't want me finding out from somebody else, to which I replied "there's nobody else I would find out from, our lives have been separate for seven months. We're not together anymore." I said I wouldn't hear it from his D because my relationship with her is separate from him now. He said he really appreciates that.

I told him that every time he does something like this is sets me back and I can't do it anymore. He said he didn't mean to cause me to start thinking about him, to which I replied that i don't think about him, i think about my marriage, and that he needs to leave me alone so that we both can move on.

And with that I am done. I have done the right thing throughout this entire episode and mostly the right things in my marriage, and can no longer bear the pain that comes from his rejection of our life together every time he pops up. I deserve to be loved by someone who is able to truly love and who appreciates all I have to offer.

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to read about my situation and given me much appreciated advice. Just your presence has helped me to get over the hump to where I am. I hope that something in my story or something I have said has been a help to someone here.

Now I must get out of my system what I hope is the last cry I'll have over the loss of my marriage, my hopes and my dreams as they were.

All the best.
Posted By: 4myfamily Re: New Day Rising - 03/20/12 07:52 AM
Quote:
I told him that every time he does something like this is sets me back and I can't do it anymore. He said he didn't mean to cause me to start thinking about him,

Yup they know how to press your buttons, play with your emotions and abuse your compassion and decency (is he hoovering?)

Quote:
And with that I am done. I have done the right thing throughout this entire episode and mostly the right things in my marriage, and can no longer bear the pain that comes from his rejection of our life together every time he pops up. I deserve to be loved by someone who is able to truly love and who appreciates all I have to offer.

This should be the mantra for all of us, only when we finally accept ourselves and recognize what we have to offer, are we free of this pain. A relationship is a gift, not an entitlement. I hope you find the right person who can appreciate the gift they are given.

I am not sure if you are already done, gone, moved on, but if you read this: Greatwhitenorth, you are a great role model for a lot of people here, have a great life, eh!
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 03/20/12 11:38 AM
GWN,
I am glad that you returned his call because that call gave you the "final" push to tell him just how you feel and that you are done. No matter what happens now or in the future, you have always tried to do the right thing, but until he actually heard what you had to say yesterday, he was going to pull at your heart's strings whenever the notion struck him.

I don't know where you have his "things" stored, but I would make sure that they are sitting outside the day that he comes to pick them up. He no longer has the "free" card to enter where you live and play this was my life. It's too bad you don't have some friends that could deliver his "stuff" to him so that he didn't have to come to your home.

Once your balance has returned, you will be stronger and no what direction you wil follow. You know you are more than welcome to continue posting here. You will need someone to talk to because your story isn't finished just yet. Please come here to post. We are here to support you.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 03/21/12 10:23 PM
Thanks for chiming in 4MF and Snodderly. I will continue to think on this board.

My plan is to have all of his things in the garage and not be here when he comes over. I don't think he'll do anything nasty, because he's not a nasty MLCer. Once I find someone who is willing to stand guard I'll let him know. It will be April at the earliest because I'm busy this weekend and gone south over the following two. He was supposed to be coming with me this time, but alas, I'll have more sober company who don't swim away from me in the ocean this time around.

When I was talking to my therapist a couple of weeks ago something I said made her suggest that whatever crisis he seems to be in was interrupted previously. It kind of makes sense. Soon after he and i reconciled after a week apart early in our relationship, he grew his hair out. Normally shaves his head. It looked absolutely ridiculous, to the point that his then teenaged daughter said "is this your doing?" I of course took no responsibility. "Just trying something different" was his explanation.

Anyway, yesterday I spent my lunch hour outside. We've had an unseasonally warm week and as a result the river has opened right up and is high. From where I sat I could smell it, and with that painfully missed our boat and the tears set in. When I got home I decided to take a look at the boat(it's still here as my name is on the loan, but really it's his boat so he's making the payments out of a joint account used for that purpose only).

Imagine my surprise to find that vermin of some sort had moved in over winter! It stank like rodent urine something awful. Two life jackets might be finished and the cover for the bimini top is chewed up. These things were in one of the compartments and smelled rank. The life jackets are still outside in the sun and the bimini cover went in the wash.

I pondered emailing him for a couple of hours and then decided it was the right thing to do. I opened the email by saying I hope he understood where I was coming from the night before and that as long as our lives are separate they must be treated as such, and that it's too painful otherwise. I then went straight to the vermin and the boat.

No response. No interest or concern about the state of his 25K investment that he's presently trying to sell. No thank you for taking care of it. Not a peep. Early in the separation he would normally respond within the same day.

This is the same lack of response I got when I initiallly asked him to disconnect the phone/satellite the first time, but that wasn't surprising because it required action on his part.

It makes no sense to me (not sure why I would expect it to) why he can be gung ho to pick up the phone and tell me about his heart and the other random things, but not say a word about his boat. The stench of raccoon (which it probably was) urine certainly can't be good for resale, and we're already looking at a 10k hit as it's only two years old.

It's almost like he's depressed, like he just doesn't care, he's gone completely dark. It also feels very juvenile, like the boyfriend in high school who completely stops talking to you because you've broken up or had a fight.

I've been thinking about his reason for telling me about his heart. He said he didn't think it would be fair for me to find out from someone else. I've been pondering that notion, why would fairness to me matter? It didn't matter when he decided to cheat on me. Somewhere in my heart I think he was reaching out a bit, but that could be this foolish optimism I've adopted in recent months.

Either way...I have a stinky boat in by driveway and sure do miss the water.
Posted By: 4myfamily Re: New Day Rising - 03/22/12 12:37 AM
Quote:
Somewhere in my heart I think he was reaching out a bit, but that could be this foolish optimism I've adopted in recent months.

I think they never let go. My W sent an email apologizing for her behavior, and putting herself down a bit. I sent a reply validating her feelings and reminded her that (even though she has acted out specifically towards me), that she still has some very good qualities. She has not responded.

I think they are very reluctant to cut the strings, they need a safety net. It is possible that only when there is no safety net that they have to finally look at the issues inside?

I am 99% sure that my wife is high functioning Borderline Personality Disorder, Due to childhood abandonment issues her neural networks are wired differently as a survival/coping mechanism, this is a brain disorder. It can be overcome but I feel it will always be there. I am supportive if she needs help and I have empathy but it is not my job to fix her or to let her act out against me anymore.

Throughout our relationship my instincts have put up red flags which I have ignored. My instincts are more accurate and reliable than my conscious decisions. If your instinct tells you he is reaching out he probably is, but can he give you what you want or need in a relationship?
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 03/22/12 02:22 PM
Well, he responded to the email, sort of. But not to the information about the boat.

He simply said his friend was in town and could he call me to come and get his rifle out of the cabinet. That's it. Doesn't seem to care a wink about vermin in the boat.

Every email he sends me these days (not that there's many) opens with "sorry to bother you." Can someone give me some insight as to what is up with that? Drives me nuts.

Thanks 4MF, for your reply. I don't know if H has a diagnosable personality disorder. He certainly is passive aggressive, but that is a behavior not a disorder. He has admitted to stuffing things down and he's clearly a conflict avoider. He's told me absolutely nothing about his past. Big gaping black hole. That's an issue. I used to think his mother was awesome, but now I see that she bought him out of his marriage for $25k to pay off his vehicle. Clearly there's a deep-seated problem there. But diagnosable PD...who knows?

It's interesting that his first marriage twenty years ago lasted only two years. Apparently he came back after about a year saying he made a mistake, but she had borne his child so it's very different.

I've been reading about "mirage men" lately. These men fall "in love" quickly, assume their object's interests and seek approval through their words and actions. As the relationship progresses and they realize there's no common interests they resign themselves to their situation, and then they become resentful that, in their opinion, they have been subsumed by their partner. The punch line in all of this is that the MO behind this is an unwillingness to be their authentic selves and a profound avoidance of true intimacy. Alot of this is my husband, especially the true intimacy part. He said he loved me at week three. Yeah, BS I thought at the time. But I saw the common interests so stuck it out. That's the difference between my marriage and the typical "mirage relationship" - we have many things in common, the true basis of something real.

So annyoing.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 03/22/12 11:03 PM
So I just got the call from H's friend who wants to pick up his rifle. We had a great chat. He only found out yesterday that H and I are separated.

I asked him if H told him what happened, and he said no, that he simply said "we're not together anymore" and skipped right over it to the next topic of conversation. I did not tell the friend about the affair, but I did say that he just walked out, that I never had a chance. He said it was was "unf'ing believable" and that he's shocked. I told him I was glad to hear that because it's the first time I've heard it from a friend of H's. The person H stayed with initially alluded to this, but I haven't talked to the others at all.

The friend hasn't talked to H is quite a while, but he said that every time they spoke, H said things were great, going really well. H was happy. He said that with me, H really turned things around and had a great life. The friend can't believe H has walked away from everything. I told him I love my husband, but what are you going to do? You have to move forward. We agreed that whatever is going on with H is pretty deep for him to have abandoned his life this way.

I didn't get upset or dwell on anything. We mostly talked about friend's life. I congratulated him on his new work and we talked about his family. I said it was fantastic the way his life has become everything he ever wanted it to be.

Don't know if this conversation will get back to H or not, but I guess it doesn't matter because in essence I am done. I can't remain in a self-imposed limbo.

But I will continue to be the person I want to be and am at my core - loving, strong, supportive, optimistic, generous, independent and very, very happy.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 03/24/12 12:39 AM
H's friend came by to get his rifle today. He dropped by H's workplace, where he used to work, to get the key to the gun locker. H just came out, handed it to him, said to leave it here, and left. That's it. Friend is still shaking his head. He talked to some of the co-workers but H stayed away.

Friend told me today that when they talked earlier in the week H avoided all questions about the breakup. Just quickly changed the subject.

Friend doesn't understand it, moreso now that he's seen our house. He said that this is everything H said he ever wanted. We wondered whether H is depressed. Who knows.

Anyway, H's friend said next time he and his family are in the area (they have friends near here) they'll pop in to see how I'm doing. This brings me comfort because it confirms my position that H has lost his mind. Not that I want him to lose his mind, but you know what I mean....
Posted By: seeking answers Re: New Day Rising - 03/24/12 11:21 AM
GWN,

If your H is having a MLC he is most likely depressed. Did you notice him being depressed or acting differently before ow or BD? Depression permeates all stages of MLC. However, you may see a temporary lifting of it in the beginning of the R with ow. That is due to the 'love' hormones circulating in their brain.

When the MLCer realizes their problems follow them no matter how fast they run or who they're with, the depression is still there.

Until and unless he faces the issues within and deals with them, he will remain in the tunnel.

GWN, I took a break while writing a reply to your above post. I went back to read up on your sitch. I have a question. From how you describe your H when you met, I was wondering if he was in the beginnings of MLC then? Just some of his actions during your courtship and M seem suspect. I know that it doesn't really matter. Just understanding helps me cope and I know there are others like me.

You are doing well. Take care.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 03/24/12 12:20 PM
Thanks for chiming in, Seeking.

I really do wonder if he was in the beginnings of MLC when we first met, and think he probably was. My therapist even said that it sounds like whatever he's going through was interrupted. I've only seen this person once, so we haven't unwrapped everything yet, but I will share my insight as it comes.

Of course, I only really read up on MLC after the break up so I would have had no idea about it if it fell from the sky and landed on me...which it sort of did! H's wall is very, very thick. He lets nobody in. Even his best friend has said that there's a side of H he doesn't know. They've known each other for more than 20 years.

I believe H is most definitely depressed, and that he probably has been for quite some time. It's almost like as long as there was something to distract him from it he was OK, but as soon as things settled into routine he'd lose it again. Once we moved to the country there was no distraction of buying a house, planning trips, planning a wedding, selling a house, buying a house. It was all about building our life. Even though he had everything he ever talked about wanting, he bolted.

If you read my entire history here, you'll know that there's some pretty deep and complicated stuff going on with H. He's not like a lot of the spouses here who were truly intimate with their spouses at some point. H could never, ever open up...I simply trusted that he was committed, as we all do I suppose, but normally there is a closeness that is tangible and not simply implied.

Seeking, I would love to know which actions you feel are suspect. I'm certain I would agree with you but would love an outside perspective. And I hear you. Understanding helps me cope too. I should go back and read all my posts, but I'm not ready yet. I'm a little scared because I will probably realize it was all a sham.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 03/24/12 12:44 PM
Should mention that last time I saw H and he, with tears in his eyes, said all he wanted was to be forgiven, he also said that he's dealing with his issues. He believes that they stem from a lack of confidence because of his dyslexia. I said I think they're deeper than that, but he disagreed so I said OK. Wasn't going to have that argument with him.

Maybe that's progress, but there is absolutely no way you make the choices that he has because of lack of confidence. He's holding something back in a major way. I wonder if something happened to him as a child. But I'd never know because he never, ever, ever talked about his past. As I've said before, gaping black hole.
Posted By: 4myfamily Re: New Day Rising - 03/24/12 01:35 PM
Hi Greatwhitenorth,

A lot of your situation resonates with me.

4 years ago when my W had an affair she told her mother and sister and 2 close friends of hers and that was it. A lot of justification aimed at demeaning me, which did not work with mother and sister as they knew both me, and us as a couple. The close friends who did not know me were used to validate her justifications and provide reinforcement for her actions. A 42 year old mother of two was going to abandon her family (2 sons 12 and 14) to start a new family with a penniless guy 12 years younger in the boondocks of Asia. At the time she wanted the quickest possible divorce and quickly change her religion so she could marry and start her new family. Years after the event she said she did it because she was 'unhappy'. The problem is they shift the blame for their unhappiness on to you the loving innocent spouse. They do not look at the real causes until they have lost everything.

We have now been separated 4 months. I get apologetic emails about her behavior in our marriage. I get emails saying 'would it be too cheeky to ask.....', I get phone calls 'sorry to bother you....'

W is now in counselling and admits she has self-esteem issues, which are understandable, but she was always, superior aloof and condescending towards me in our marriage.

She seems strong enough with other people but with me she seems on the edge of tears.

I now know she has been acting out the effects of her childhood issues and projecting her feelings onto me, in fact making me feel her anger and depression.

The calmness I saw for so many years from someone who liked to give the impression she could deal with anything, and had dealt with everything was very probably false-self hiding some huge issues. Her lack of emotion was just a huge effort in self control, and splitting off of all the toxic stuff from her past.

She rarely talks or talked about her childhood or her childhood friends (of which she appears to have none) so another 'gaping black hole'.

Self-esteem is an issue or my W for sure but it is just the tip of the iceberg in my opinion, in fact I recommend this link for anybody who might want some insight into childhood issues:

http://www.internet-of-the-mind.com/abandonment.htm

I too have a feeling that my W was somehow seriously abused in childhood, just a gut feeling or instinct at the far recesses of my mind!

From the very start of our relationship somewhere in my brain/mind I have had so many instinctual messages saying 'something is not right here'.

Sorry GWN I think I just hijacked your thread!!
Posted By: WenikiTiki Re: New Day Rising - 03/24/12 06:53 PM
Hey GWN and 4myfamily! The l got cut off your link. Here it is:

http://www.internet-of-the-mind.com/abandonment.html
Posted By: tested metal Re: New Day Rising - 03/24/12 09:42 PM
Wow 4 myfamily, this makes perfect sense to me! My W displays almost the exact behaviors you describe, only MIL apparently supports her decision (a person who W has had major problems with in the past).

MIL descibed FIL as someone who worked a lot (farmer) and MIL descirbes herself as a bad Mom frequently, something that W has feared she would become when D1 was born.

W also has started messages to me as "sorry to bother you".. etc. and is nice if she gets what she wants, otherwise is downright mean and tries to make me out to be the bad guy if I stand up for myself or execrise any kind of self respecting behavior.

W also eluded to possibly some sexual abuse in the past, but can't remember what it is/what happened. I was very supportive of this when we were together.

I look at my own faults of not setting better boundaries and letting her walk all over me and I did not share my true feelings when i felt taken advantage of for fear of losing her.

The iceberg analogy is very true and I see this a lot in my profession. I just never wanted to compare W to it, but we all go through some sort of it.

I am trying to be calm, cool, and fair through out this ordeal, but am now seeing when W wants an inch, she will take a mile.

I am afraid of looking like the bad guy so i let her.

I guess my fear of assertiveness is something I need to explore.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 04/08/12 12:38 PM
Hi All

Just back from a fantastic week on a beach with a couple of friends and family. The star of the show was my two year old neice. Everybody loved her and she was an awesome traveller. She lives about 600k from me so spending a week with her was a real treat. We went to a resort that H and I used to go to, which was easier than I thought it would be. People asked about him, and I simply said we're separated and that was it. Good time all in all!

So just now I was going through the phone (numbers are programed) to call my parents and for whatever reason ended up calling H. He picked up and I said "who's this?" because it didn't sound like my dad. It was kind of funny...on my end anyway. He's on his way home from the funeral of his uncle.

We chatted for a few minutes. All very civil as usual. I decided to take a DB 180 risk (for me...I've been pitch black) and ask him if he wanted to stop in for a coffee since he's driving right by. After a pause he said "yes, I would actually." He'll be here in a couple of hours.

I read a quote my sister has on her website. Love it, and it's great words to live by: "Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you never know who would love the person you hide."

H and others who live inside brick walls, so to speak, could learn a lot from that.

No expectations, but wish me luck, everybody.

Happy Easter!!
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 04/08/12 12:58 PM
Happy Easter!

I'm very happy to read that you had a wonderful time on your vacation. It sounds like it did you a world of good.

Good luck w/your meeting w/your h. I think the call really did catch him off guard and who knows...it just might open the door for a nice conversation.

The quote that your sister has on her website is one that we all should read and apply to ourselves.

Enjoy your day and no matter what he says or does...you are going to be just fine!
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 04/08/12 04:05 PM
Thanks, Snodderly. You're right...I'll be just fine!

H just left. He was here for just over an hour. We had a really nice, relaxed visit. Laughed a bit. Had coffee on the back deck. It's beautiful out here now, and it was quite obvious that he misses it.

I answered his questions (he asked quite a lot for him) but didn't offer up anything else except to say (at an appropriate time) that this whole thing has changed me to the core. He didn't understand what I meant, so I explained that I'm changed permanently, that I let things go now, that I don't get stressed over things I can't control.

He had his arms tight across his chest for a lot of the visit, until I pointed it out to him. He took it lightly, chuckled a little, and unfolded them, understanding what his body language was saying.

He says he's OK, apart from bronchitis and mourning his uncle, but I don't buy it for a second. He looked to me like he was about to cry at times. I wonder if he's finally seeing how much he threw away, that I'm not the terrible person he convinced himself I am.

We looked at the boat, and the damage appears to be mouse-related and superficial. He looked longingly (or so it seemed) at me like he missed "us" when we were doing this. At one point when he passed behind me he put both hands on my waist. After we finished up and were walking into the house he stopped, turned around and said "can I have a hug from you please". He got one.

Then he gathered up his hunting gear and talked about when he can come and get the rest of his things to "get them out of your hair". I bit my tongue on that one and just said OK, but we couldn't come up with a weekend that works. He's going to email this week.

When he left he said thank you for the visit, that he hopes it won't mess me up, and that he's glad I'm looking so good. I wanted to tell him that this visit makes it clear our marriage is worth saving, that he can change his mind, that people can forgive him, but am leaving it up to him to get there on his own. He asked for another hug and got it. Both times were long embraces.

Anyway...I'm still doing great! This visit didn't rock my foundation. I'm seeing some family and friends today for Easter dinner but won't mention it to them. Or to anyone but the good folks on this board. One of the friends I'm seein today is/was his fishing buddy. H asked about him for the first time since the split, but I won't tell the friend. I wanted to suggest that H contact him, but decided to not tell him what to do.

So there it is. I'll file this one under "it is what it is". I really, really want him to come to his senses before the boat sells because once it's gone, I'm reallydone. Not the pretend done that I've been in the past blush.

The reason for this is that I'm co-signer on the loan and it will cost us $10k to sell (owing more than we can sell for). He knows I've been paying off my student loans to the tune of $550 a month for the past 12 years and have 2 more to go so to slam me with more debt will be complete disregard that I can't abide.

Anyway, it was a great visit that I hope drills deep into his mind. And now I fade to dark gray this time, but will open the door should he knock.
Posted By: BeingMe Re: New Day Rising - 04/08/12 07:01 PM
Glad it went well with the visit, GWN. Lot's of interesting gestures made by him.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 04/08/12 11:19 PM
Sounds like the meeting went well. I don't think he will come to his senses before the boat sells. He's got alot of internal work to do yet. (I hope that I am wrong on this, for your sake.)

Keep focusing on you and what you need to do to keep yourself balanced, healthy and happy.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 04/10/12 09:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback BeingMe and Snodderly. Means a lot that you check in. With regards to the boat selling, we're facing major job cuts here (in the tens of thousands) so there's not a lot of people in the mood to spend 18k on a boat, but only time will tell.

I've been thinking about my time with H on Sunday, the questions he asked....a lot of things about the house (the insulation, the sump pump, the pool and connecting the pump...these were all things I was left to do immediately at BD), about my plans should I lose my job (I told him I might sell the house and move to another city or province, which is true and not just posturing), if I was going to go south this spring (which we'd been planning the week before BD. I guess he couldn't see my tan!).

Something particularly interesting was that he said he's going to start bringing his clients (adults with developmental disabilities) to the farm next door again in a couple of weeks. He used to do this weekly but hasn't as much as talked to the owner since BD last September. The neighbour has been a great help to me so I'm not sure how H will be received over there, but I guess time will tell. I presume he'll get in touch rather than just show up. It won't be easy that's for sure.

He seemed to be interested in our life, but I'm trying to not over analyze. I still haven't gotten the email about picking up his rifles this week or the rest of his things later on. It all makes me wonder if he's starting to reconnect with the life he walked away from. I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on that.

I got home today to a bunch of mail for him...his tax assessment, something from the hospital, something from his pension plan. I have his cell bill from last week and a couple of other things that I forgot to give him on Sunday.

The fact that he hasn't changed his address suggests to me that he hasn't detached from me, our marriage or our home. Perhaps I'm over anlyzing....it could also be that he's lazy. I only tolerate the secretarial function because I want him to come home, but don't want to be filling myself with false hope.

One question is, how do I handle what could well be a sensitive, make or break place we are at?

Other question is, what do I do with this stuff now? Should I just stay the course, put his mail in the post and leave things alone? Should I wait until I hear from him about his rifles and getting the rest of his things? Or should I push the envelope and tell him he needs to change his address?

All advice welcome and appreciated!

Thanks, folks!
Posted By: seeking answers Re: New Day Rising - 04/10/12 10:32 PM
GWN,

Just go to the Post Office and ask for a change of address card. Bundle up his mail with the COA card in there. You won't have to say a word, but the message will be loud and clear.

As long as the ow is present, he's still in replay. He's got quite a ways to go yet. His peeks out of the tunnel are just moments of clarity. They are when he remembers his life with you, but he can turn on a dime and dart back into the tunnel.

Keep doing what you are doing. You're handling it well. At this point in time there is little you could do to make or break anything. MLC has to run its course.

Hope is yours. No one can take that away. Just keep your expectations low or at zero to protect your heart.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 04/12/12 12:39 PM
Thanks for the feedback, Seeking. You're probably right.

This new behaviour pretty much mirrors what Snodderly described in an old post (2003, I think) about reconnection, so I got hopeful. She did point out that the process takes quite a long time though.

H hasn't called about his hunting gear yet and the week is almost over. I haven't dealt with his mail yet...other things on my mind.

Not only was yesterday my anniversary, I also received notice that I have to find a new job. The timing couldn't have been much worse. I'm lucky in that the severence is good and I have some time, but the bad thing is that if I don't end up with the same salary I'll have to look at selling my house.

I fear for my mental health should this occur. Three major life changes in the course of a year is too many. Not to mention the absence of someone to hold you, tell you it will be OK, and work through it with you.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 04/12/12 01:20 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your employment situation. You may want to give serious thought to renting out a room to a college student. You can either advertise for a roommate or go through a realtor (screening would be better). Don't plan too far ahead because you just never know what is around the corner and who knows...you just might find a good position elsewhere.

I wouldn't worry too much about him not calling to schedule the pick up of his hunting gear...when the notion strikes him, he'll call. Right now, his focus may be on something else entirely.

Your focus has to be on you for the time being....
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 04/13/12 12:15 AM
Thanks for your concern, Snodderly. I'm trying to stay positive and put a plan in place. There's a college close by so you're right...I can get a roommate if need be. A couple of students there board their horses just down the road so it's something that could work out. I've lived on my own (apart from the 3.5 years with H) for 12 years so it would be an adjustment to live with a roommate again, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do, as they say.

I finally heard from H this evening about picking up "a few more things". I laughed out loud when he proposed Saturday night! Seriously! Um, I have plans buddy, sorry. I'm only going to my cousin's to catch up, but he doesn't have to know that. He also suggested Sunday afternoon, which might work if he's quick but I have plans then too. Gotta love being busy!

It's funny...he's always said I need to let him know by Monday about a weekend pick up. I guess he thinks I'm sitting home staring at the walls, although I've told him I'm seldom home on the weekends. At least he's polite and not mean.

Part of me wishes I knew if the homewrecker was still in the picture. I'm not asking him, that's for sure. H's daughter told me a couple of months ago that he's not seeing her anymore, but I wasn't going to have that conversation with her at all or with him unless he brought up our marriage. At the moment, though, if I knew one way or the other it would probably hurt my focus and destabilize me. And it's also possible he's taken up with someone else.

Whatever....it's out of my head as quickly as it pops in. I have much bigger things to think about these days.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 04/15/12 10:05 PM
i fell into the pit of despair again earlier today. not for anything specific that happened, it's just all too much. for the past two days i've felt like i'm carrying around 100 lbs of sand on my back. i don't know if i have any strength left.

h was here with his friend earlier and took all his hunting gear, some camping things and some random crap from the basement. the three of us talked about me needing to find a new job and some of the challenges with that. when friend went downstairs h asked if he could hug me but i said i didn't think it was a good idea. he can't be my consoler and not be in my life (i didn't tell him that part).

i'd been making homemade pita (first time...worked out pretty good but they were a little crispy) and both h and friend were commenting on how good it smelled. when he asked again how it turned out as he was leaving, i asked him if he wanted some. he said he'd like to try it so i gave him a pack with six pieces in it. he took it gladly, unlike earlier in the year when he refused to take some of the bread i baked.

his friend was out in the truck but h kept hanging around mostly just looking at me. then asking me if i'd talked to his daughter, telling me things about her life that i already knew, updated me on her exams. he asked me about whether we'd bottled the wine i'd mentioned last weekend. he told me a musician we both like is playing later this month at a venue we used to go to out here. clearly/oddly he still gets their emails. i just nodded and wasn't sure what to say so just said "oh yeah". he told me he plans to go turkey hunting soon and asked me if i wanted a turkey leg if he gets one. i said i'd take a whole turkey but not a leg. he said he'll try and get two.

when we were wrapping up he said "i'll leave you alone for a while" and then proceeded to tell me about his travel plans with his D next week for funeral related stuff.

it's like he digs through his mind for every single thing he can think of that he knows i'm interested in so that he has something to tell me or ask me. no, it's not "like" that at all. it IS that....that's what he does. but then he continues to move his stuff out. as his presence in this house disappears i feel that he is truly gone from my life, that there is no hope.

as weird as it sounds, i wish our encounters were hostile or awkward or something else negative because it would be easier to take than this. how can we be so comfortable with each other, he so interested in my life, offering up about his (to an extent) yet not want to be with me?

when he finally made his way to leave through the garage he hung around there too. he turned to face me in the doorway behind him and just stood there like he was waiting for me to say something. after a minute or so i said i was just going to close the garage door so he said "oh yeah, don't close it until i'm outside" and left. the tone of the whole encounter was, as usual and especially given my stress levels, perfectly cordial.

what does he want from me? am i giving him the impression that i want to or can be his friend? because i can't, but i don't know how to handle the situation without pushing him further away.

i feel like just saying "h, we aren't friends. i can't be friends with you" but my sense is that it would be a mistake.

i can forget about him saying what's on his mind. he is a man who does not communicate about real issues at all...avoid, avoid, avoid is his mantra.

this job loss thing has made me feel so alone. intellectually i know i have time to find something new that pays enough for me to keep my house, that i'll probably be ok. but emotionally it's just another whack, and my mind jumps right to feeling incredibly alone and just wanting the pain to end. right now every day feels like death by 1000 cuts.

he said he hopes the job search works out, and i said there's no other choice because i can't lose my house this year too. the expression on his face suggested that he realized then and there the weight of things for me.

please, someone, i need insight as to what he's doing with his questions and comments and long goodbyes.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 04/15/12 10:47 PM
GWN,
I'm glad the "visit" went well and he was able to get his "stuff".

As for his questions, etc., it sounds to me like he felt very comfortable being in your presence today. His making small talk was to show you that he is moving on w/his life and he wanted you to know that he's staying busy and in touch w/his daughter.

My first thought was that he wanted to put on the "good guy" mask in front of his friend so that his friend can tell people that the two of you are friends and you have accepted the split. But the more I thought about it, it could be that he 1)thinks that if he remains friendly, you will be easier to manipulate down the road on other issues concerning the divorce; or 2)still wants to have a toe in both ponds, just in case his new life doesn't work out, he can still have you waiting in the wings. It's hard to tell w/these mlcers exactly what is their MO.

I do know this, the less you question or ruffle their feathers, the less you will see the spew and anger when they are around Right now, your h got what he wanted and he was a happy camper.

One little piece of advice, the next time you are baking when he comes over, don't offer him anything...let him go home thinking about the aroma and what he could have had to eat if he had been living at home.

BTW, I think he wants a friendship w/you, but on his terms. I also think that you were far better off w/him being cordial, etc., than an angry man. You do not want that kind of behavior going on in front of witness because there is no guarantee that you could have kept it together like you did today. I'm very proud w/the way you handled the situation.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 04/15/12 11:27 PM
Thanks, Snodderly. And thanks for being proud of me.

He was definitely comfortable today, just as he was last weekend. He actually walked around the house like he still lives here, very comfortably. Except for knocking on the door every time he came in. And he made the same kind of small talk as he did last Sunday, almost all of it about our life together. This is the thing that gets me...he brings up all the things we had or did together, but now they're separate.

He definitely is making a point regarding his daughter. He wants me to know that he has a good relationship with her now. It was volatile for a long time and from the sounds of things has never been as good as it is now, and it's because of me...I made sure she didn't hate him and that she could view him with compassion. I'm sure he knows it too.

I said to him at one point that hopefully doing the right thing will pay off for me sometime because it's been a bit of a tough run. It was on the tip of my tongue to say that I won't contest a divorce, but neither will I pay for or participate in the process.

I don't think he was putting a good guy mask because he is the same any time he's here. The divorce issues are settled...the separation agreement is also the divorce document. He'd have to go to court to open it and he won't.

I want it to be a toe in both ponds...that he still sees something appealing about our life together and that he'll come back to it. I don't know if the homewrecker is still in the picture and part of me wishes i could find out but then the other part says what's the point.

I learned early on to not ask questions and I haven't and won't. As much as it hurts, I know his current life is none of my business. Probably for that reason there's been no spew since we got the separation agreement settled before Christmas.

I'll take your advice about the baking.

You're probably right about him wanting a friendship on his terms. But he can't have that. And I can't have what I want either, which is my marriage restored. My sister was near tears yesterday when she told me she's always hoped he would come home. People still love him.

My heart is breaking again, but it probably wouldn't if there were spew and conflict and hostility. I'd have been long gone by now if things were bad.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 04/15/12 11:55 PM
GWN,
We don't know what the future holds for any of us and who knows...he may come home at some point. We just don't know.

The small talk and bringing up things that you did is his way of "reliving" the "old" life and he will revisit that life quite often in the days ahead as he travels through space. In his mind, he is still trying to find a jusitification/reason for why he left and the way he feels about you right now. Unfortunately, there isn't a justification for his behavior except that he is unhappy w/himself.

Time will tell as to what happens next w/him. Give him plenty of space and do not contact him unless it is an emergency.

Just breathe a sign of relief that the day is over and look to tomorrow for new adventures. I am very happy that he behaved himself.
Posted By: Kimmerz Re: New Day Rising - 04/16/12 05:55 AM
GWN and Snodderly,

I've been reading these recent posts. It hits home with me in regards to actions with my XH and many questions and feelings I have about it all too. I appreciate your insights Snodderly, you're so right on all the time. You are a living dictionary or Thesaurus on MLC. Bring something up, and you've got a good darn answer!

It's good to know that the small talk about things we did in our marriages are the MLCers way of reliving the old life and that they revisit it often. I never could understand how my Xh's memory was like a steel trap after he left, yet while here he couldn't think his way out of paper bag. Just tonight he recalled everything that's in the spare bathroom....and he's been gone a year!

I agree that they want us to be friends with them on their terms and that they keep us at reach just enough incase their "new life" or "OW" doesn't work out. I also think that because we suck it up and act "as if" and carry ourselves with dignity and handle the sitch with grace (even though we're dying inside) that it gives them the message that what they're doing is ok. I've begun to think that by acting as if, and remaining friendly when they approach us that it gives them the idea that it's ok for them to run off and do their MLC thing, yet it's still safe enough to come back and test the waters with us.

Is this part of paving the way home?
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 04/16/12 12:11 PM
Kimmerz,
We walk a fine line w/the mlcer. If you display anger and/or point fingers at them for anything, they will go into the disappearance mode or in some cases, take it out on the spouse and/or children by withholding funds, visitations, etc. They can be nasty little somebodies when they want to be and you do not want to be on the receiving end when they are extremely nasty.

Whether or not you act as if, many of them will test the waters to see where you are throughout the crisis. Acting as if, helps you in the long run because eventually you will begin healing and will one day wake up and realize you don't have to "act" any longer. Acting as if is a way to state that you are doing okay and can manage on your own, it doesn't necessarily state that you are happy w/what they are doing. It's not the get out of jail free card for them, but, what does send the message that you are okay w/what they are doing is when the spouses continue to do things for them, such as pick up the laundry, take care of their bills, continue to cook their meals, i.e., the normal day-to-day things that we all have done throughout our marriages. If you are not doing these, then the message is not there, just my two cents.

Is it a way to pave the way home? Yes, it could be, but there are a lot of factors that will determine this and the major one is whether or not you will still be there w/the door ajar to even consider reconcillation by the time he/she has completed their journey. Of course, your mlcer may opt to not even try to return and will continue on down the merry path.

Time is on your side and you will need to dig deep for patience to assist you in your journey.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 04/18/12 10:51 PM
Fell into a deep hole on Sunday night/Monday. I actually scared myself. It wasn't because of H, but because of losing my marriage and dreams, losing my job and the prospect of losing my house, all in the span of seven months, and having to face all of this alone. It all was just too much for a time.

So a close friend and colleague of mine who didn't lose her job called the Employee Assistance Program to try and find a way to support me. She coaxed me into going with her.

I don't think she got what she was looking for, but the therapist we saw is a social worker who is pro-marriage and familiar with MWD! I didn't even raise wanting to save my marriage, but I guess she read between the lines. Unfortunately she hasn't read the books, (She asked if I could get H to come into counselling. I said no, because it's no good until they're ready.), but fortunately she appears to have the right attitude (she agreed).

So I'm going to have some sessions with her to put all the stuff going on in my life into perspective, and to get some support for my efforts to save my marriage. I do question whether it's worth standing, given how incapable he is of communicating, trusting and being vulnerable, and how little I knew of him as a result.

I believe from the way he looked at me and behaved last two times I saw him that he still loves me, and from the way he's been talking that he's thinking back on his life with me, sort of on where he's supposed to be...meaning here. That said, I am going to continue doing what I'm doing and give him all the space in the world, continuing on as if he's not coming home.
Posted By: BeingMe Re: New Day Rising - 04/19/12 06:47 AM
Good idea to continue on as if he's not coming home. Who knows what he's thinking? Also, glad you're attending counseling sessions. I've been looking for one in our area, just to help me with the end coming up soon.

Throwing positive spears your way. smile
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 04/19/12 11:45 AM
GWN,
I'm glad to hear that your friend was able to assist you and you are now meeting w/someone. It doesn't hurt to have someone listen and help you through the maze.

Keep the door ajar, but continue moving on "as if" he may not return. Always keep your expectations at zero.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 04/20/12 03:43 PM
Not long after H moved out I put away our wedding photos, but hung onto them in the hopes that he'd be back. Today I removed them from their frames, wrote a letter to H on the backs of them, and then burned them as a ritual way of letting go. I read them aloud before burning them, sobbing through it all.

I said in the letter that I love him today as I've always loved him. That I've been true to my marriage and my vows. That I'd do anything to save my marriage. I also apologized for anything I ever did to hurt him.

But I also said that I know now that I no longer have a place in H's life or in stepD's life and I have to let it go, that keeping in touch is nothing more than a way of trying to keep my marriage alive. It is self imposed pain.

I also said in my letter that he's hurt me so much, that I'd never, ever have moved to the country alone and now that is where I find myself. An imposed isolation, solitary confinement. That words can't begin to describe the pain, that I've found nothing so far to fill the hole in my heart.

I don't know what tomorrow will bring. Life is one hour at a time right now. I keep believing that if I continue to do the right thing I will be somehow rewarded. It hasn't worked out that way yet. Not in this case or at work, at any rate. I am tired, and tired of reaching out.

I think the letter writing and burning ritual will be good for me. I just wish someone were here with me to get all of H's and stepD's things into the garage so they can take them away ASAP. I can't keep deluding myself.
Posted By: WenikiTiki Re: New Day Rising - 04/20/12 06:27 PM
Dear Great White North,

Please just remember that right now things seem awful and hopeless. Things will get better.

I am also struggling with getting the physical things done that I need to do to make my world right and mine again. I sort of divided up my house, his areas, my areas.

I work on a little bit at a time, maybe pick one room a day to work on, not look at the whole house. I actually have picked my bathroom, or the laundry room as the room to work on. (Small rooms, easier!)

I hope things get better at work and at home for you. I hope you find some nice people to be in your life and support you as friends do!

Aloha,

Wendy
Posted By: MrBond Re: New Day Rising - 04/21/12 01:40 AM
GWN,

Are you seeing a C to get some help? IMHO that action was pretty drastic. You could have just boxed the photos up and stored them away. Regardless of how he seems now you did have happy memories together and they were real.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 04/21/12 03:11 PM
Thanks Bond and Wendy.

Yes, I'm talking to a C now. I think I'm going through a major depressive episode. People are extremely worried about me, to say the least. I'm getting a new doctor but not until the end of May, and will ask her to give me something to stabilize my mood.

The problem is that whenever I see the C I'm able to talk clearly and with insight about what's going on. Intellectually I have a great grip on things, it's the emotional side that's hard, and that's come to a head with the info on the job.

When I fall into despair I fall really, really hard and it feels like nothing is ever going to get better and I am little more than a fool for thinking I matter at all - to H, his D, my work - and that talking to friends and family about it is little more than a burden that affects them negatively.

I ended up going over to the farm/rescue next door with some dry cat food that mine refuses to eat. They insisted I stay for dinner, drink some wine and get in the hot tub. I ended up coming home fairly late and a little tipsy. It was nice and I appreciate that they're looking out for me.

The neighbour confirmed that he did hear from H about starting to bring his clients (mentally challenged adults) there again for community outreach / recreation. As neighbour's wife said "why here? There's lots of other places he can go." I just agreed with that and said it's between them.

I can't imagine how that's going to go. Neighbour is a bit rough around the edges and tends to speak his mind. He knows how hurt I've been and where I stand with regard to my marriage. H can't lie to him and say we agreed to split up, as he appears to have done with others. Would love to be a fly on the barn wall.
Posted By: 4myfamily Re: New Day Rising - 05/03/12 03:11 AM
Dear GWN,

I have not looked at the DB forums for a while because I feel I have finally achieved some clarity with my own situation.

GWN I am saddened to read that your situation has caught up with you in the way that it has or had. It is amazing that total strangers can have such compassion for each other, as demonstrated here on DB. I find that well of empathy to be heart warming. I have found even total strangers display more empathy than my W ever did. Friends simply do not treat each other the way our ex's have treated us.

In my case I know that the person I loved and pursued, built a life around and planned a future with never existed. I know I was used as a means of filling a very deep void. I now realise that my W never loved me, in the normal sense, and is incapable of forming a normal emotional attachment to anyone, even her children.

Love is a decision we make and there are a great many people out there that we could choose to love. We need to learn the lessons and choose carefully. Most importantly we must love ourselves accepting who we are.

GWN you seem like the sort of person many people would be pleased to be in a relationship with. The fact that your H has behaved the way he has is no reflection on you. This his personality disorder, normal people do not act this way. Period. Normal people react the way you have.

It is a while since you posted so I truly hope you are feeling better about life. Letting go of dreams is hard, time for some new ones?

Life is good you will come through this!! Good luck!!
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/05/12 12:27 AM
Hi 4mf. Thanks for checking in.

You're right - it's amazing that total strangers can have such compassion for each other. It's what gets us through the night, so to speak.

My H, too, is incapable of normal emotional attachments. I know this not only from his leaving but also from what his D tells me and what I've seen of their relationship, his compartmentalization, etc. But I do think he wants to on some level. He's just scared. H will honestly do anything for anyone and misinterprets this as closeness. He doesn't understand that closeness entails giving of himself, letting guards down, showing people who he is on the inside. The good friends illusion is sustained because he makes them about what he can do for the other person. Everybody loves him and he's safe.

I also agree that love is a decision and we choose whom we love. The thing that's changed for me is that although I will love someone unconditionally, I will not be with them unconditionally. The person I next find myself with will have to show up in the relationship, he will have to trust me with his heart, be open and honest, not hide from me or shut me out.

Not sure if you read that I am also facing lay off at work. It was the catalyst for the depressive episode. The severance package is very generous and I have a different perspective on things. In this situation, as in that with H, I have to be PATIENT. I am not a patient person. A good friend says I'm always 30 seconds ahead of everybody else. To my benefit or detriment it seems. I'm now thinking about a second career. My director told me today that when I talk about my ideas it's like a light goes on inside, and when I talk about work it goes right off again.

I want that light to stay on forever but leaving the security of my job is going to be really, really hard.

Thank you for saying I seem like the sort of person many people would be pleased to be in a relationship with. It means a lot to hear that because I internalize so much of what's happened, both at work and in my marriage. My personality is such that I take responsibility and ownership, even when it is very hard to do. I know in my head and my heart that there's nothing I could have done to prevent the train wreck that my marriage turned out to be but I also ask, what if I had done something differently. That said, I don't spend much time there these days.

After you boil it all down, fact of the matter is a walk away spouse simply isn't as committed to the marriage as you are. Plain and simple. And you can't make them be.

I'm glad you have some clarity, 4mf, and a great outlook. I hope you're right and that I'll come through this.

Thanks again for checking in. Means a lot.
Posted By: 4myfamily Re: New Day Rising - 05/05/12 05:04 PM

My W tends to see every thing in black and white people are either in one moment all good or all bad. With other people she is charming and seems the nicest person on earth, and that how I saw her as well when we first got together. However I now see that that person is totally manufactured and she is quite capable of doing anything to fill her emotional void no matter if it hurts those closest to her. To everyone else she is very concerned that to the truth about her actions is kept under wraps. The truth would spoil the illusion.

I have been guilty at times of being over-helpful and a people pleaser myself, and that level of helpfulness is also a controlling behavior, so not anymore!

I am not sure about unconditional love (except for my sons), a relationship is a two way street.
We all have needs and if someone is unwilling to meet our requests for meeting those needs then that is, in my experience, a lonely place to be. One exercise I found very useful is just to write on flash cards what your needs and wishes are in a relationship. Write out a card as each thought comes to you. You would be amazed how many compromises you have made, and how much you have given up over the years.

Obviously a lay off is a negative but a generous severance package is a big positive. Personally I find change exciting and I have always loved a road trip...and sometimes living life a bit more on the edge, not so secure, can make you feel more alive. Might be primal: looking out for the predators?

When I was fairly desperate to save my marriage it was my 18 year old son, who sees things from a slightly different perspective as he has a different relationship with his mother (he loves her but...) who gave me some words of wisdom: 'Dad nothing lasts forever..... let it go...it's over' Its a law of the universe nothing does last forever, maybe we need to learn to accept change as normal and not fight it. Once I accepted it was over and I stopped living in hope, optimism returned.

We all suffer from Fear, Obligation and Guilt in these relationships. Have you seen http://outofthefog.net ?
None of this is in the slightest way your fault. You have no control over anything except your own thoughts and actions. Our ex's make their own decisions, whether consciously or sub-consciously. They alone are responsible, there is not one thing you could have done to change a damn thing he said or did. He has been programmed since childhood to do this at some point in his life.

GWN I took great strength from your early posts, what I interpreted as your independence and no nonsense practicality. I think we all learn a lot about ourselves, life and relationships from these experiences. Hopefully that wisdom leads to better choices in the future.

Although it is presumptuous , I really do have a strong feeling you will come through all of this to a much better times.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/13/12 02:45 PM
4MF

Originally Posted By: 4myfamily

she is very concerned that to the truth about her actions is kept under wraps. The truth would spoil the illusion.

I believe this about H too. But I think his motivator is shame. He's made some bad decisions throughout his life and is running from them, from himself, still. I think on some level he believes he does not deserve love. I've mentioned previously that I wonder if something untoward happened to him as a child. The saddest part of it is the running means he keeps making bad decisions, thereby perpetuating the misery. Easy for me to say I suppose.

I am not sure about unconditional love (except for my sons), a relationship is a two way street.

I believe love and relating are two different things. You can love someone, warts and all, but choose to not be with them because of the way they treat you. Both are choices and are mutually exclusive. I love my husband, regardless of the mistakes he has made. I believe he is a good person at his core, just badly damaged. But I will not put up with being lied to overtly or by omission, should he choose to return. You can love someone but choose to not be with them. That's called moving on I guess.

You would be amazed how many compromises you have made, and how much you have given up over the years.

Haven't done the exercise, but I hear you on the lessons. I sacrificed a number of things I needed in my marriage because I love H. Ain't gonna happen no more. We split up early in our relationship and he asked for a second chance. He said he had no passion for me. Said it again this time around. Thing is, I don't think he has passion for anyone or anything. You cannot have passion when your emotions are stuffed way, way down, when you're closed up tight as a drum. He is so unwilling or unable to let loose, which is a core element of passion... letting loose, letting go. Passion IS feeling, and when you don't let yourself feel then of course you don't have passion. The root of this in H I don't know, but it's sad.

Obviously a lay off is a negative but a generous severance package is a big positive. Personally I find change exciting and I have always loved a road trip...and sometimes living life a bit more on the edge, not so secure, can make you feel more alive. Might be primal: looking out for the predators?

Right with you there too. I am 98% certain that my decision will be to take the package and begin a second career. I've gotten incredibly positive feedback from everybody I've talked to about this, and they're wise people. And yes, I've never felt more energized! I see more clearly now that the pervasive eating away at my core that happened as a result of my work environment MUST HAVE eaten away at my marriage. I have been miserable at work FOR YEARS. It's a risk that I'm taking, but a risk of something great is much better than the certainty of misery.

When I was fairly desperate to save my marriage it was my 18 year old son, who sees things from a slightly different perspective as he has a different relationship with his mother (he loves her but...) who gave me some words of wisdom: 'Dad nothing lasts forever..... let it go...it's over' Its a law of the universe nothing does last forever, maybe we need to learn to accept change as normal and not fight it. Once I accepted it was over and I stopped living in hope, optimism returned.

H's D had the same effect on me. I told her at one point that I was happier than I'd been in a long time and that I love her father but couldn't be with someone who wasn't completely honest with me (she knows about OW and the lies he told about leaving her mother and the city they used to live in, but nothing deep). She said she felt a lot better, that I was better off because he would never change. She needed to know I would be happy and OK. This was the point when she started talking to, and not yelling at, him again. I never spoke a bad word about her dad, although he did me. She and I have a great relationship now, though my recent depression tried to convince me otherwise.

They alone are responsible, there is not one thing you could have done to change a damn thing he said or did. He has been programmed since childhood to do this at some point in his life.

Agreed! I don't think I suffer guilt, fear and obligation though. Maybe some fear early on, but that passed. Now I just miss him and our life but am sticking to no contact. It's been three weeks and not a peep, whereas he used to go no more than two without contacting me for something. A bill for an ambulance he used back in October came here this week for for the third time. I forwarded the bill AGAIN, and fought the urge to remind him that if he doesn't pay it his provincial health insurance might be stopped. Not my problem to solve, though I'd hate to see that happen what with the congenital heart defect (ironic I know) they recently discovered.

GWN I took great strength from your early posts, what I interpreted as your independence and no nonsense practicality. I think we all learn a lot about ourselves, life and relationships from these experiences. Hopefully that wisdom leads to better choices in the future.

4MF, it means so much to hear that. Independence and no nonsense practicality are pretty good descriptors of me. And yes, we learn a lot if we choose to. Sadly, there are some who are resistant to that learning.

Although it is presumptuous , I really do have a strong feeling you will come through all of this to a much better times.

Thank you. I know in my heart that I will but it's a difficult row to hoe. I am a bit lonesome these days and would like some male company but I refuse to date before informing H that I intend to do so. And I won't inform him by email, so I wait for him to call me to pick up more of his things. He has all his hunting gear now so it might be awhile.

The plan is to have a face to face convo that consists of my letting him know that I believe our marriage is worth saving and have been hoping he'd come to the same belief but since he hasn't I have to move on.

I am not a patient person, and have found that waiting always ends poorly. I waited ten years for my brother to die, then waited weeks from BD for the other shoe to drop in my marriage, and now waiting for this. Difference is, I knew for sure my brother would die. I knew in my heart and my gut that H was cake eating after he first left. But this last one, about moving on and the futility of my marriage, I'm not so sure about. Maybe it's "bandaid optimism" to protect me from pain, or maybe it's based on the fact that I really don't know.

I've come to not like weekends so much. Although the workplace is negative and morale is in the toilet what with all the cuts going on, I am surrounded by people when I'm there. Weekends are quiet and a bit lonely. I do reach out, have drinks with the neighbours, invite people over, tour small towns with friends, visit family, but the gaping hole that was my life with H is ever obvious. The boat sits outside, and right now we should be getting out in it several times a month.

I've written before about the pain of passing events and seasons. New memories must move in, but until I can have someone new in my life it will be hard to create them in the way they're needed. My heart needs a connection that flows back to me. It's the human condition.

Until the jury's back I'll motor along battling my garden, watching in awe the baby hummingbirds (so tiny yet they thrive!!)at my window feeder, working on my business plan, pondering the possibilities presented in my second career and how the planets have aligned to present the opportunity.

Happy Mothers Day to all you mommas out there!
Posted By: 4myfamily Re: New Day Rising - 05/15/12 03:13 PM
It seems at the core of a lot of theses problems, whether a mid-life crisis or a personality disorder, lies the damage done by childhood abandonment or abuse. I am sure after all I have read my W was probably subjected to both. This apparently causes the shame, guilt and low self-esteem of a child who may think they are not worthy of love. Is this why they reject those who genuinely love them later in life. Do they really think 'anybody who loves me must be seriously flawed and rejected'? I now know my W has projected a lot of her depression and low self-esteem onto me. I too have felt that she 'is a good person' but with a few odd character traits and flaws. I now realise that her lack of self is a big black hole, and in an effort to fill it and make a connection , I have poured in all my emotion and changed my life! It is just not possible, it would never be enough. Ultimately she is not prepared to make any effort to change or work on her marriage, it is easier to keep searching for the man who will love her unconditionally no matter what she has said or done (or not done). Her part in a relationship seems to be just to turn up.

I think the false self they create is so buttoned up they are incapable of spontaneity. Certainly little off the wall humour, generally in my experience a lot of sarcasm with a good dose of schadenfreude!! Any playfulness would be looked upon as weird and ridiculous.
My wife said she had no attraction for me but she married me anyway. What kind of person marries someone she feels no attraction for? She says she has done that twice now. Is it true or a defensive, hurtful comment?

I think we all get a bit lonely at times and a understanding companion of the opposite would be 'nice'.
Personally though I think it would be asking a lot of someone new at the moment, unless they had been through the same sort of experience. I still have a lot of unresolved feelings about the last 22 years. The rose tinted spectacles are definitely off though and the past is looking a lot less nostalgic

To me, at times, the whole thing just seems crazy as I believe my W would be a 'great person to have a good relationship' with, BUT it is just not possible as she is emotionally unavailable, and acts out against those who love her!! Even writing that makes no sense, but is that what love does to us?

I know once I abandoned hope of saving my marriage and became hopeful of a different future I felt somehow happier. And strangely I was able to be more mindful at work, put more focus on my job. A lot of anxieties left me too. Maybe trying to hold a relationship together that is bound by the thinnest of threads is exhausting emotionally and physically. I also feel I 'projected' some of my relationship dissatisfaction’s on to my work. i.e. if I changed my job I would be happier! I have never enjoyed my job more than I do now.

It is a shame about the boat which is obviously represents a big part of your togetherness. We had a Bayliner that we used for wake-boarding when our boys were younger (gas here at 43 cents a litre helped). As they have moved on in their lives I sold it and restored a 29' yacht which was something I intended my W and I use together. I actually think that was too much connection or togetherness for her. Fortunately it can be sailed single-handed and so it is a great escape for me.

We all have a need for that intimate human connection, in my opinion it is what human existence is about: man/wife parent/child etc. Would be nice to hold someone close too.........

Nice to hear from you GWN, I enjoy sharing our respective outlooks on life, the universe and everything! (I find having my rambling thoughts in some kind of order quite cathartic/therapeutic as well).
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/20/12 12:19 PM
Journaling

Week before last I came home to my phone showing that H's aunt and his best friend had called here. No message left, of course. It was middle of the morning on a work day so I figured something was up. Assumed that he'd probably had the procedure to fix his *broken heart*. They discovered a congenital heart defect (most commonly diagnosed type that has zero mortality rate with a simple procedure to repair) last month.

Didn't give it any more thought than that. I had told him previously that, although I care very much about him and his health, as long as we're apart there's no need to tell me any of this. He has respected that boundary.

Yesterday, H's aunt called when I was at home so I answered. She thought this was his cell number. We ended up chatting for 15 minutes. She told me how she's doing since the passing of her husband last month. Said H's mother (who hasn't acknowledged my existance since last November....maybe she's ashamed of her son, maybe she couldn't wait to see the back of me, maybe it's too painful for her, maybe she doesn't see the point in kindness towards a fellow human being who was part of your life for five years...) has been her rock. I told her I'm happy they have each other.

So apparently after they did the procedure on H, he had a bit of a heart murmur or arrhythmia and they kept him overnight for observation. A week passes and he gets the same thing again so calls his mother (a retired nurse practitioner) who tells him to go to emergency, which he does. He gets there, is triaged, and sits for hours, only to be sent home because everything's fine.

I figure it was an anxiety or panic attack of some sort...but that's based on a lack of info so is worth no more than the paper it's written on, which it isn't so there you go...

Aunt said he told his mother he would never listen to her again.

Don't know if he was being serious or not, was angry or kidding. Could go either way, but the mommy string needs to be cut. And it sounds like the rebellious tone of a teenager.

Anyway, it was nice to chat with Aunt. She has always been very thoughtful of me. She said she thought H and I were doing really well, to which I replied "so did I." We discussed the merits of seeing the good things in life and choosing to be happy. She was really happy to have dialed the wrong number!

As for H, he's probably in the throes of a *real life* mortality fantasy, unlike the earlier brain tumour and skin cancer fictions that possessed him early in his journey.

Maybe he'll come out the other end of this when his heart tissue grows over the patch they've put in and the organ is healed completely.

Now if only they could find a patch for the really crappy decision making these MLCers get up to. Like my cousin says, "no fool like an old fool".
Posted By: AJM Re: New Day Rising - 05/20/12 01:34 PM
Quote:
I've come to not like weekends so much. Although the workplace is negative and morale is in the toilet what with all the cuts going on, I am surrounded by people when I'm there. Weekends are quiet and a bit lonely. I do reach out, have drinks with the neighbours, invite people over, tour small towns with friends, visit family, but the gaping hole that was my life with H is ever obvious.
One of the things I noticed was exactly that, except not from another person. I noticed that my routine needed to change. My memories. That's the part where time helps to heal. Time to create new memories, a new 'norm' for my life without x. That took a while. I was married for 20 years and with her for 23. That doesn't go away overnight, and does not get replaced. What changes is my life and my perspective.

The weekends alone get better as you make changes. It takes a while though I think it's worth it. I still live in the same house and that, I think, made it take a bit longer. But I have to say that I look forward to the downtime now. I look forward to the alone time and the time with friends. More balanced. The gaping hole is but a speck now. It'll get that way for you as well, but try not to be in too much of a hurry to get there. There's much to see and do along the way...

Your post was interesting GWN. A momma's boy that had a health care provider for a mother that seems to be somewhat overly concerned about health issues?? Who could have guessed momma would have put her fears into him? wink

AJ
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/23/12 02:19 PM
NEED INPUT!

I received this email today:

"Hi W

I hope things are fine for you.
I would like to move the boat to the marina on Saturday afternoon if this is OK with you.

I would also like to pick up a few more things.

H"

Probably not a coincidence that it comes just a couple of days after I spoke with his aunt, but whatever.

My position has been that the next time I see him I would have the moving on conversation. I also said that once the boat sells, that's it for me. It will sell more quickly at the marina.

I would like input on how to reply to this email. This is what I have drafted:

"H

I hope you are well too.

For the past eight months I have done a lot of thinking, and although some pretty important things were missing in our marriage, I have always believed that we had a fantastic life together and that the good parts outweighed the bad.

All marriages take work, communication, compromise and trust, and I believe that our marriage is worth fighting for and have always been willing to meet you half way.

In hoping we could try again, I have stayed true to my vows. But I need to be loved, to be touched, to build a life with a man I love and trust and who loves and trusts me in return. I have to move on and will start dating.

As for your request, I already have plans for Saturday so that won't work.

Do whatever you need to do with regards to the boat. Please also disassemble the shelter and take that away too.

As for your things, please be prepared to take everything that is left in the house. It is up to you to file and pay for the divorce as it is your choice and yours alone. I will not stand in your way by contesting, but I also will not participate.

Please arrange something with the post office so that your mail stops coming to the house, and change your address.

All the best.
W"

I ran it by my bff, who said "wow. it's a really powerful email. there is a lot of power behind it. there is calmness, openness, resolve and strength all at the same time." I asked her whether it sounds bitter and she said no.

I would LOVE, no NEED your feedback, especially from the vets.

Thanks!
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 05/23/12 02:48 PM
GWN,
Nice email, but I would change it a bit because I've been where you are now and it's going to go right over his head because they can't focus on a of written words.

If it were me, I would do the following:

1. remove the 2nd, 3rd and 4th paragraphs. You will get an opportunity to say all of this to him later. Right now, it's strictly business in getting the boat and his belongings removed.
2. You say that you've already made plans for Saturday...are you giving him permission to come into the residence and take his things? Don't say take "everything"...he just might leave you w/nothing in the way of furniture, etc. Just say your belongings or things.
3. If he doesn't change his mailing address, just place "return to sender" on the mail. You do not need to advise him again after your email.

Keep the email short and sweet and business-like for now.
Posted By: Jack_Three_Beans Re: New Day Rising - 05/23/12 04:52 PM
I agree with Snodderly.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/23/12 05:39 PM
OK....I'll defer to your wise selves.

How about this:

"H

I hope you're well too.

Unfortunately Saturday is impossible as I have plans already.

Please be prepared to take the rest of your things next time you come to the house.

As for the boat, whatever you need to do."

I was hoping that his behaviour (flirting and such) the last couple of times I saw him were indications that maybe he was changing his mind, but I guess not. C'est la vie.

I will tell him the rest when he comes to the house. In the mean time, I'll box up all the odds and ends so he can just take them from the garage.

Stamp of approval?
Posted By: ~ kd ~ Re: New Day Rising - 05/23/12 05:46 PM
Personally, I exclude pleasantries, as well.

My W just sent me a long email about some event for D9 that I had been unable to schedule (it's quite an early morning which D9 is not good at and quite a distance to get to) and included an antagonistic "I'm sure this email will probably piss you off".

All I responded was, "If you and friend can work out getting D9 to the event, I will pick D9 up from event."

As short and concise as possible so they can understand. No more, no less. Even skip filler words if possible... grin
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/23/12 05:52 PM
Thanks for your thoughts, KD.

Apart from his spewing early on, there hasn't been any animosity between H and me. Probably because we have no kids and so don't see each other or communicate unless he is coming to the house to pick things up. So to exclude the pleasantry would feel....passive aggressive? Intentionally hurtful?

And I do hope he's doing OK. Once his heart has healed maybe he'll be able to pull his head out of his ar$e. Heh heh.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/23/12 11:28 PM
Sent my reply.

"Hi H. I'm doing great, thanks, and hope you are too. Saturday afternoon doesn't work as I already have plans. Could you please be prepared to take the last of your things next time you're here? All the best. W"

I didn't mention the boat.

But you know, I give my head a shake sometimes when the whole situation snaps through, kind of like an old slide projector reel where I picture myself at BD and then the moments forward from that. Absolutely wailing in the backyard on the phone with my sister. StepD sobbing at my dining room table when she realized what her father had done. Learning how to frame and insulate a basement (still haven't cleaned up the job site). Having to replace a sump pump. Using the snow blower for the first time. The dark times when I contemplated ending the pain for good. Buying an air pistol because I was so scared out here by myself and had no idea how I'd protect myself if I had to (the airforce base commander who was convicted of rape and murder, among other things, was fresh in everybody's mind and the headlines). And so on. And at those times I wonder WHY WHY WHY I am entertaining the idea of reconciling a marriage to someone who had complete and total disregard for me. Why?

Is it because I love my husband, which I do, and loved the great life I thought we were building together? I forgive him for what he did, as in I no longer wish him harm or dwell on the monumental cruelty with which he treated me when he knew full well what I'd be stuck with on his departure. Forgiveness doesn't mean what he did was alright.

I have never unleashed on him. Ever. Maybe I should have.

He lies with ease to protect himself, betrays seemingly without a second thought, and hides who he is from everybody. But before I knew this, and before he did what he did, he treated me well. He just didn't share of himself, with anybody as it turns out. I believe he's capable of changing, but I also believe he's too scared so he won't. He'll just keep on running.

One of the canned knobs of bs he said to me was "I stopped growing as a person, we stopped growing as a couple," whatever that means. I know with absolute and profound certainty that this whole experience has made me grow as a person in ways I never thought I would have to.

I wonder if H has grown, but somehow I doubt it. Things need light to grow, and light doesn't shine on things that hide. So to speak.

And in the amount of time it took me to write this, he has replied. "Hi W. When are you free so I can move the boat and also free so I can pick up the last of my stuff. Glad you are doing well. H"

He can wait for my reply.
Posted By: AJM Re: New Day Rising - 05/24/12 12:46 AM
Might I suggest that you love the person you knew and maybe that is not your husband at this point? Just a thought..

As for the rest? I'd wait until tomorrow to respond. No need to respond now.

Knowing what I know now vs. then? I can almost guarantee you he will not remember the bad things he said or did? Even now he's looking for a reason it's you and not him. He admitted he has a problem. He stopped growing. He knows he needs to though. He has no choice... grow or die.

Let him go in peace. Find a way.

AJ
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/24/12 01:18 AM
Originally Posted By: AJM
Might I suggest that you love the person you knew and maybe that is not your husband at this point?

That's the kicker, AJ. Not sure I ever really knew him because he admittedly hid SO MUCH from me.

Originally Posted By: AJM

Let him go in peace. Find a way.

AJ

I pretty much have. As I said, I love him and wish him no harm. And i have very much gotten on with my life. Not looking forward to the bill once the boat sells though, especially with joblessness staring me in the face.
Posted By: 4myfamily Re: New Day Rising - 05/24/12 11:11 AM
Hi GWN these are some of the things I believe I have learned:

I feel I have given all I can, and said all I can say, done all I could and found eventually that I have no control over anything except my own thoughts and actions.

The person I fell in love with and pursued for 20+ years was just an illusion.

I could wait to find out who she really is in the hope I could have the great relationship I always wanted.

Or,

I could learn the lessons, take control of my life, make the changes in myself I must make, and pursue a different life.

However I still care for her and am concerned that she may never find that one person who will 'accept her unconditionally and without recrimination no matter what she has said or done', who will finally make her happy.
Posted By: AJM Re: New Day Rising - 05/24/12 03:10 PM
GWN, having looked at bankruptcy, seriously, many times, I hear ya. It's not a fun idea coupled with facing it alone because of the former partner's decisions (which we didn't control).

Does that about sum it up? Because if it does, then you will need to figure out that you're going to face what comes, and overcome it, regardless. But I get that you aren't looking forward to it. Kind of like looking forward to a colonoscopy right? smile

4m - can I say you have some ways to go still? I read that and saw the incongruities. That's a pretty serious ego that wants to be the one to 'make her happy' as if she couldn't be happy with somebody else. She and she alone can make herself happy. Nobody else can nor should be in that position. That's not healthy.

You could wait. But what is it you would be waiting for? To find out that you still need to do some work?

AJ
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/24/12 04:30 PM
Yup, AJ, that pretty much sums it up. We had a great, GREAT life together. Fantastic. Pursuing and achieving things we both wanted in life. And I know he wanted them too because it's been confirmed by so many people. My family and friends loved him.

But I know now that I never really knew him. Whenever he said "the past is the past it doesn't matter" I just accepted it and figured today and tomorrow are new. Although I said to him "it's important to understand the past because it informs how we live in the future," I accepted that he just didn't want to go there. OK. Let's go fishing.

The extent of his hiding is more visible to me now, and I suspect that what I know is only the tip of the iceburg.

Reconciling our great life with the fact that I never [i]really[/b] knew him is challenging.

It's funny. When I initially implored him to stay all he could say was "I f'ed up again and I can't f up any more." I replied with "you'll do things differently for some new thing but not for your wife and our life together?" "No," he replied, "because you'll never change." Project much?

I seriously doubt he's told her any of the things he hid from me, which is at the heart of the matter. Right alongside it, I think, is a great big sack of anger shoved right down to both sets of toes.

Until he is able to open up, own his past mistakes and take responsibility for life and decisions in it, the record will keep skipping. I REALLY don't want to be part of that. But that's the intellectual part of me. The emotional part sees the boat as symbolic of us and for it to sell means all hope is extinguished. Plus the debt thing...one more stab.

I have my theories as to why he makes the choices and behaves as he does, and it goes right back to family of origin. I've waxed on about it in other posts and won't go there now. Zzzzzzz.

I'm thinking Monday after work will be boat/chat day. He can wait until tomorrow for my email though. My paranoia says he might have been planning to go out on the water this weekend, but I truly don't think he'd do that. I can simply call the marina to verify that the boat is there on land.

Thanks, Folks!
Posted By: 4myfamily Re: New Day Rising - 05/25/12 02:53 AM
Hi AJM,

I never have believed it is my job to make anybody happy except possibly myself. However I believe most MLCers have some pretty serious personality 'traits' that externalise their unhappiness and look externally for the source of their happiness.

They will go from relationship to relationship hoping to meet that 'magical' individual.

I am moving on, filing for divorce, like I said in my last post I am concerned that my STBXW will spend the rest of her life looking for that unobtainable person. A sad waste of an intelligent woman's life, when she could look inside for the reasons for her unhappiness and hopefully deal with it.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/25/12 08:40 PM
So I sent H and email saying that Monday after work is OK to come and get the boat, but that it will be a bit longer to get the rest of his things since I'll have family in for the next couple of weeks. Which is true. I plan to recruit them in getting everything else of his packed up and organized into the garage so he can just take it away.

He replies later in the day with : "Hi W. Monday should work but I may not get there until after 5pm because I may need to go and pay for the boat. I hope this works for you. Thanks for getting back to me."

My understanding from last year is that as long as the boat is for sale under the broker there is no fee, just a commission upon sale. Except in winter, which is why it stayed at my house but was listed on their website.

So it sounds to me like he's planning on using the boat this summer.

Yes, he's been making the payments but he wouldn't qualify for the loan without a co-signer. My name is still on the ownership, the loan, and the insurance. If he uses it, he benefits from what I did for him as a wife and the sale price continues to drop. So far there's been no discussion about any of this.

It felt like a kick in the guts with a steel toed boot. My bff suggested that this is because he is taking what was ours and making it his. Part of it, too, is because I've said to myself that once the boat sells, we're done. I never counted on him using it while my name is still attached, or on him finding someone else to co-sign, should that be the case.

I wrote back with "What do you mean pay for the boat? You're putting it there to sell, aren't you?"

Nothing back yet.

If my suspicion turns out to be correct, how should I handle it? That boat was his pride and joy, but he could only buy it because we co-borrowed.

Is there a way to DB this that won't make him truly hate me?
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/25/12 10:08 PM
Yup. I was correct. He "still hopes to sell the boat" but wants to use it in the mean time and has to pay for docking.

How do I respond?
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/25/12 11:34 PM
H called. It was a surreal conversation in a lot of ways.

I asked him how he was doing, how the heart was, etc. It's all good.

I told him that I wasn't sure I was comfortable with him using the boat while my name is still on the loan, etc, because as long as it's on the water it's going to depreciate and if something happens it will be even worse.

His position is that he's sunk a lot of money into it (agreed, but I did too prior to the split), it's going to depreciate anyway (have no idea about this), and it's fully insured so if anything does happen it's covered.

I asked if he could take on the loan himsef. He said he'd look into it again, but probably not until child support is finished.

I asked if his mother could take over the loan guarantee for him. He said he'd look into that too.

He said he'd be OK with me using the boat and that he'd even bring me fish.

He said he'd even take me out in the boat but I probably wouldn't go. I said I might if you asked me. He said it might be nice to just go out and sit and talk.

He didn't ask me one single thing about how things are with me, the job loss, etc.

But he did say "I don't hate you, w. " I said that's a strange thing to say. He asked why, and I told him because I don't think he hates me, that I've never done anything for him to hate me. He then said "I just don't want you to think I'm trying to $crew you over because I hate you."

*******just stepped away to answer a call from H********

He wanted to know the name of the lender for the boat.

Then he asked me if there was any chance for a transfer at work (he might have remembered this from a previous convo), and I said, with great glee in my voice, "I'm going to be liberated!"

So I told him a little bit about my plan, and how it gives me cold shivers to talk about it, how everybody tells me a light goes on inside when I talk about it, and how I've only now realized how miserable I was at work for so long, that this is an opportunity to do something I've always wanted to do. I told him a little bit about it and he actually asked a couple of questions.

His whole tone changed, in a good way, and he was really happy for me.

He again brought up taking me out in the boat, and said jokingly, the way he used to, that he won't push me out. I said I'd take him up on it, that it would be nice to go for a swim in the river...."but wait! You might drive away!"

He VERY seriously responded with "Never say that. I would never do that. I don't want you to feel scared around me." I said I was joking, and asked, lightly, if he'd lost his sense of humour. He said no, but that's not something he can joke about.

Then we talked a bit about his D, and I told him she and I went for sushi and that she actually ate it! He and I used to do that all the time; step D was a very picky eater; a lot is different.

So...about the boat. In a year and a half when step D is finished her degree he'll be able to take on the loan. He's managing to make the payments on his own. As long as it doesn't sell I don't have to pay my share of the balance.

Part of me thinks it's in my best interest to let him do as he wishes with the boat, as long as I can be emotionally detached from it.

I would love to get:

1. your sense of our conversation

2. your thoughts on not disagreeing to his using the boat.

Thanks!
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 05/25/12 11:46 PM
Sounds like the conversation went well. He didn't have any problem talking to you because you were not bringing up the relationship and him returning home. He felt comfortable in talking w/you and that's good and he was flirting w/you just a bit. Just be careful and keep your expectations at zero.

I don't think you are going to have an issue w/him as long as he's getting to do what he wants. If you have put your foot down about him using he boat, etc., he could have gotten pretty nasty about it. He's right...boats, just like cars, do depreciate in time.

"So...about the boat. In a year and a half when step D is finished her degree he'll be able to take on the loan. He's managing to make the payments on his own. As long as it doesn't sell I don't have to pay my share of the balance." This doesn't make sense to me. If he's paying the loan balance, then he should be able to take on the entire loan now, not a year and a half from now. Is he gaslighting you on this?

For me, personally, I would have an issue w/my name being on the loan, as well as on the insurance. For me, he would either have to remove my name from the loan, refinance it and buy me out. I wouldn't want to be responsible for a boat that I am a co-owner w/my xh. But, keep in mind, that's me...you will need to decide how you want to handle the boat situation.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/25/12 11:57 PM
Thanks, Snodderly, for your great insight.

That will be my mantra: be careful and keep your expectations at zero.

The boat loan business... I co-signed the loan because he would not have been able to get it himself. It was meant to be a long term luxury investment so the payments are only $100 every two weeks. He won't be able to get the loan on his own - his only hope is to find another guarantor / co-signer, which is also unlikely to happen. His credit rating was in the toilet when we met. My top tier credit rating is helping him raise it, but it's still not where it needs to be. He promised, and has demonstrated quite clearly over the past 8-9 months, that he won't default. I believe him.

My gut tells me to not get in the way of this. We both acknowledged how much he loves the boat. If his attachment is allowed to grow, then it's more likely that he'll hang on to it and buy me out next year.

I just needed to process the emotional aspect of it and am pretty sure I have. I had told him Monday, but I think I might just call him tonight and let him know that he can come take it when I'm out tomorrow.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 05/26/12 01:16 AM
If you feel that you can trust him, then by all means work w/him concerning the boat. I do hope that he can sell it sometime in the near future so that this will be one more thing that has been completed and your name cleared off of it.

Keep your emotions in check when you call him. Again, this is another business deal and you will do better if you remember this when communicating w/him.

Good luck!
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/26/12 12:47 PM
I decided not to call H last night, and to wait until this morning to email him with my thoughts re: the boat. I wasn't sure what to say, how to put it. It wasn't permission I was granting, and I don't necessarily agree 100%.

The answer came to me when I read Brookie's new thread, which brought me to tears.

This is what I wrote:

"Hi H. I slept on our conversation and all I can really say is life is short. Please do enjoy the boat. It's your pride and joy - I know how you love it and what pride and peace it brings you. I trust you with this."

As Blue Rodeo says, "love and understanding are the best answers I've heard yet."

I thought hard yesterday about the boat thing. My angst wasn't about the boat at all. It was about letting go, or hanging on rather. And control. I know this, and have let them go.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/26/12 01:47 PM
Heard back from H.

"Thank you W. I do look forward to fishing with you. We will need to find some dates so you can join me on the boat. Take care and thank you again. H."

I'll leave it to him to find some dates.
Posted By: Crazyville Re: New Day Rising - 05/28/12 01:54 PM
GWN, I haven't followed your whole thread, so I won't throw in on R advice. I think you're doing well if you're still DB'g at all this late in the game.

Re the boat: if it's a luxury item and you believe he's ultimately going to take over the payments, then you might be better off in the long run financially. The fact that it's already with a broker and not sold means that people aren't lined up for it. As long as you can confirm that the insurance is paid up, the depreciation is primarily defined by aging. Someone as proud of their boat as you've described your H is not going to do anything to damage it.

In other words, I think you did well, and for the right reasons besides.
Posted By: Crazyville Re: New Day Rising - 05/28/12 03:19 PM
GWN, I haven't followed your whole thread, so I won't throw in on R advice. I think you're doing well if you're still DB'g at all this late in the game.

Re the boat: if it's a luxury item and you believe he's ultimately going to take over the payments, then you might be better off in the long run financially. The fact that it's already with a broker and not sold means that people aren't lined up for it. As long as you can confirm that the insurance is paid up, the depreciation is primarily defined by aging. Someone as proud of their boat as you've described your H is not going to do anything to damage it.

In other words, I think you did well, and for the right reasons besides.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/28/12 11:18 PM
So the boat is gone, as is a bunch more of H's things.

It was really tough. He was here for about 90 minutes and we had a good talk.

I gave him the speech about how we had a good life, things were missing but on balance it was good, I've always believed our marriage was worth fighting for and was willing to meet him half way, but that now i'm lonely and need companionship and wanted to be transparent with him. He appreciated that, and didn't say anything about it otherwise.

He did open up to me somewhat and suggested that something happened to him as a child that is at the root of his unwillingness to trust and his avoidance of intimacy. He told me he didn't want to talk about it and I immediately let it go.

He also told me that he hated seeing how our marriage was destroying me because of his issues. He hopes I don't ever meet another person who surrounds himself with brick walls. I said I'll know next time, that if the person refuses to talk about the past that it's a timebomb. He acknowledged that I'm not any of the terrible things he said I was, and said there's nothing in his upbringing that accounts for any of this.

I didn't ask whether he's talking to a therapist but it sounds like he might be because he put some pretty heavy things out there. I didn't ask about the homewrecker either. Maybe she's coaching him through this...I hope not.

He plans to reach out to my brother in law and has thought about reaching out to his fishing buddy but said "the boat goes two ways" and fb could reach out to him "but I guess this kind of is all my fault". We both chuckled. He said he misses my cousin most but is not sure why as he didn't see him that often. I said "and not me?" and we chuckled again.

We held hands while we talked, and hugged. He kept telling me I'm a good person. He didn't kiss me on the forehead like he had before, but put his head in the crook of my neck.

I thanked him for opening up to me, for trusting me with this information. He thanked me for taking a risk and sharing what I did.

I told him I know that he has to travel this journey alone. He said he wishes sometimes he could just live on a boat and not have a care in the world. I said there are always cares. He still plans to take me out fishing.

I sense a finality about things. He's in a completely different place right now, not connected to our marriage at all. My heart really is broken at this moment.

However, I feel that if the breakdown of our marriage has given him what he needed to deal with the pains of the past then I'd walk this road again in a heart beat, no matter how difficult and no matter the outcome.

But I aldo really hope that he isn't working through all of this with homewrecker and her kid at his side.

I'm sad in my heart. Not for me, but for him and for us and for this. But I'm so glad I chose to be kind. Life is short.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 05/28/12 11:28 PM
Yes, life is far too short and you've done all of the right things. Now, when you look back on this part of the journey later on, you can honestly say you loved unconditionally and treated him and the situation w/kindness. You've done all you could have done and I truly believe that your xh knows this. None of us know what the future holds, but destiny has a way of surprising us. Stay positive and good things will appear in all aspects of your life.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/29/12 01:06 AM
I sent H the following:

Hi H

Thank you for talking with me this afternoon and for opening up as much as you could and did.

I am sorry for anything I ever did to hurt you in our marriage. I never did it knowingly or intentionally and would take it all back if I could.

This whole experience has been so incredibly difficult and life changing for me, but if it has brought you to a place where you can work through what must be some really painful things, then I'd do it all again tomorrow.

I continue to love you with all my heart, and wish you peace, strength and happiness.

I know it's not particularly DBing, but it's true and from the heart. And this situation isn't about DBing anymore. It appears that H is on a far bigger right now.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 05/29/12 11:31 AM
GWN,
Nice email...the time had come for you to post your thoughts to him. Now...it's time to allow him to heal and when he comes to talk to you again, listen very closely for you will learn even more about him and his thoughts/feelings.

GWN, now it is time for you to turn your focus back on to you and continue moving forward.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 05/29/12 12:23 PM
Thanks, Snodderly. You're right. It's time to turn the focus back on me. I've been weepy since my eyes opened two hours ago but need to let it go.

I got the following response from H:

"Hi W. Thank you for listening. Yes I have been working on myself slowly. There is a lot of work to do. Thank you. I do wish you peace and happiness. I am very proud of you to follow your dreams. As your life changes so much it must be hard. When I see you talk about your future you have a glow and happiness in you. Thank you for your help and reaching out to me. H"

I nice reply I thought.

It makes me sad that he hasn't acknowledged the pain I've been through or apologized for his actions, but I know that it doesn't even factor into his experience right now. He is probably right at that age where he was victimized, in whatever manner it was. I've started reading about male survivors of sexual abuse...it's all there.

That something happened explains SO MUCH.

I wish he could let me help him but I know he can't.

I wore my wedding rings to bed last night and kissed them this morning before I got up, and will continue to do so until I'm ready to really put it away. It's my way of supporting him from afar. My heart aches.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 05/29/12 12:37 PM
I read a book many years ago that may be of help to you in understanding what he's going through. It is called "Silent Son" by Robert Ackerman. You may want to check it out.

It's going to take him a while before he acknowledges the pain you went through and some of them apologize in a half @ss way. I got an apology and recognition for the pain my xh put me through during the 25 yrs of marriage, but not for the crisis or what he did throughout the crisis. He swept it under the rug and he ignores any mention of it, even after 13 yrs. It's like it is a foreign country to him to this day.

By allowing him the space and time to heal, you are supporting him from afar. Treat him kindly and know that deep down he does still care for you.
Posted By: BeingMe Re: New Day Rising - 05/29/12 09:49 PM
Kindness is always the best route to take. I'm glad your H isn't being mean to you, and has given you some reasons why this all happened. Most LBS's don't get that opportunity.

Stay well.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 06/12/12 08:33 AM
Just when I thought life was on an even keep and couldn't get any *better*, my family is now in crisis. My parents have had something of a blowout, with my old beyond his years, half blind, majorly narcissistic father leaving my mother here while he makes a four day drive home alone three weeks prior to their planned departure date. At this point my mother says "this might be it" and we don't know when she might return home. She simply got fed up with the horrible way he's treated his kids our entire lives...emotionally abusive.

When he pulled his BS with me in my own home after the year I've had I unloaded on him. I've also had enough. I'm not taking this on except to support my mother in any choice she makes. My fathers relationship with his two eldest daughters, myself included, is all but dead now, while that with the two youngest and their kids is on egg shells. We're all proud of our mother for finally standing up to him in support of us. It was a first and very hard for her. She got her strength from my standing up to him. You do not treat me like sh!t in my own home.

H had wished me "a wonderful visit" with my parents. I really wish he was here to support me on this. When I do talk to him again, do I mention it? Maybe only if he asks? Do I tell him how much I missed him in the midst of the family unravelling? Maybe in the context of "it was tough. I really missed your friendship and support"?

The return of sleepless nights, all be it for different reasons, really svcks.
Posted By: ~ kd ~ Re: New Day Rising - 06/12/12 10:26 AM
As much as you would like the support of your H, I would suggest you keep this to yourself.

He could just as easily twist your parents issues into a reason why the two of you are having issues.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 06/12/12 12:11 PM
GWN,
I agree w/Kaffe. This is not something I would share w/your h. Maybe down the road when the dust settles, but now is not the time.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 06/21/12 02:34 PM
I'm looking for feedback on contacting H to set up a day of fishing.

Last time I saw H, the last thing we said to each other was about fishing. As he was saying "let me know when you want to get your butt kicked", I was saying "let me know when you want to take me out fishing." He'd said previously on the phone that "I'd take you fishing if I thought you would go", and said in an email that we need to come up with some dates for fishing. He clearly wants to go fishing with me.

I was always the organizer in our marriage (for us; he could organize the crap out of things to do with his buddies), but he didn't have a problem with that. It was actually one of the ways through which he pushed me away/utilized his walls, so I am a little bit reluctant to propose dates.

However, given the magnitude of what I suspect he's dealing with (repressed childhood sexual abuse - our history and things he said in our last conversation triggered and fit in every way with the research I've done since then), waiting for him to propose dates is *expecting* too much.

It's been almost four weeks, and bass season opens this weekend.

I'm thinking of sending a quick email to say "Good luck with the bass opener this weekend! Friend doesn't have a chance! If you get a pike I'd love to smoke it.

Let me know if June 30 or July 1 or 2 work for you to take me out. I could really use a day on the water. If those dates don't work, I'm free again after July 16 if you want to propose a couple of dates.

If you ever want to come for a swim let me know."

I'd really like your feedback about this before sending it. The swimming part might be too much...maybe something to say after fishing, if he bites.

Thanks!
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 06/21/12 03:25 PM
Call me old school, but I would only send him best wishes for the opener. Open the door, but don't completely walk through it. Let's see if he responds, then if he does, and wants to know you coming along, then give him some dates. You don't want to "overload" his brain w/too much info. In other words, drop the bread crumbs, not the entire slice.
Posted By: BeingMe Re: New Day Rising - 06/21/12 07:34 PM
I agree with Snodderly. You don't want to be the organizer in your M again.
Posted By: Jack_Three_Beans Re: New Day Rising - 06/21/12 07:39 PM
Quote:

"Good luck with the bass opener this weekend! Friend doesn't have a chance! If you get a pike I'd love to smoke it.

Let me know if June 30 or July 1 or 2 work for you to take me out. I could really use a day on the water. If those dates don't work, I'm free again after July 16 if you want to propose a couple of dates.

If you ever want to come for a swim let me know."

Familiar with KISS?

Quote:

"Good luck with the bass opener this weekend! Friend doesn't have a chance! If you get a pike I'd love to smoke it.

That's about right...if he responds? Then ask him about going fishing with him, but don't ummm go all personal assistant on him with the huge ammount of dates...play casual.
Posted By: Jack_Three_Beans Re: New Day Rising - 06/21/12 07:41 PM
oh snap...doh...so pretty much what Snodderly and Beingme said. : )
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 06/22/12 01:34 AM
Thanks folks.

After thinking it through I did send largely what I had written previously, but toned it down you might say. To only wish him luck this weekend would have been a bit odd because it's not an organized competition...just a friendly one between him and whoever is on the boat with him. In past years it was my friends and family.

Best part is he responded immediately and favourably on all fronts.

He wants to "shoot for July 1". I agreed to that date, but am leaving the rest to him...what time, where, etc.

I'm leaving it to him to contact me closer to next weekend.

He also asked how I've been and how my visit with my parents was. I said it's been good and that i'm really enjoying time with my mother but that my father went home early. If he asks about that I'll just say they'd been away for almost three months and he was ready to go home but Mom wanted to stay. No need for ugly details. The pike is mine if he gets one this weekend.

BOAT RULES:
no talk about us
no questions about him
fish my butt off
have fun and relax
use words of affirmation
follow his lead

anything i'm missing?
Posted By: ~ kd ~ Re: New Day Rising - 06/22/12 02:34 AM
beer
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 06/22/12 12:15 PM
indeed!

maybe i'll let him buy me one as a consolation prize.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 06/25/12 04:41 PM
An interesting thing that might not be a thing at all but my gut says something's going on, although there's no reason to think it has anything to do with me.

From time to time I check the marina website to see if the boat is still listed for sale. Today I check, and it's not listed anymore. Last time I checked was within the past two weeks, and it was listed.

I know it hasn't sold because I would have to be notified, and it would be indicated on the web site.

Perhaps H has decided to keep the boat and take on the loan himself next year, even though the sep agreement says it's to be sold. Also, he and I have not discussed this. Something's going on.

I've been thinking about our fishing *date* on Sunday. My insecurities are running rampant. Even though he is the one who brought it up several times, I worry that he's doing it out of guilt or obligation. Or that he's going to bring up divorce. Or that he's going to tell me something else horrible.

Then I think about where I would like to go fishing, and figure that he will want to stay near the marina and for only an hour or two.

Then I think about asking him if he would like me to prepare a lunch for us, and fear that he will reject the idea.

All of these self doubts are probably rooted in expectations (or they ARE expectations). I know I need to ditch anything that even remotely represents an expectation.

I know this is a big no-no, but I am wondering where his head is with regard to all this. Is he happy? Nervous? Regretful? Anxious? Excited? Flat? I can't even begin to speculate.

This will be the longest time we've spent together in ten months. We always had a great time fishing together.

Part of me fears he's going to cancel at the last minute.

The other question is, I'm visiting with his daughter today. Often she'll ask me if I've talked to her dad. Do I tell her we're going fishing next weekend? Or do I just say I haven't talked to him since he picked up the boat.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 06/25/12 04:55 PM
GWN,
So many questions!

If he's not selling the boat, he will need to buy you out since you are part owner. He should have advised you of his change in plans. But, do not raise the issue and see if he tells you. You'll know if he's acting guilty when you are him.

Instead of asking him about packing a lunch...why don't you just go ahead and pack some finger foods. I'm sure the time will get away from you while you are out fishing and I don't know about you, but when I'm out on a boat, I get hungry after a while.

Leave the expectations at the door...zero expectations! You are trying to anticipate what is going through his head and you can't do it! He doesn't know what he's going to do from one minute to the next, so can you figure him out...you can't.

GWN, I, personally, wouldn't be sharing my news w/his daughter. It's really none of her business what you do or don't do w/her father at this point in time. If you feel the need to say anything, just tell her that you spoke to him a while ago...that's honest. At this time, you aren't sure if he's going to cancel the fishing trip or not, so I would table that for later. Call me paranoid, but whenever someone asks about whether you've spoken to a particular person, it makes me wonder if she/he is inquiring so that they can run back and tell them what you've said. Be careful! Blood is thicker than water, even if you are friendly terms w/her.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 06/25/12 05:23 PM
Thanks, Snodderly. Great insight as usual.

I like your suggestion to just pack some finger foods. I'll definitely want a bit of a snack at some point. All that fresh air works up an appetite! I wonder how long it will be before he asks me for bug dope and sunscreen.

I won't bring up the boat disappearing from the web site. It will be interesting to see how that unfolds. Maybe he plans to list it again in the fall or some similar ridiculous option that lets him think he's doing the right thing.

Nor will I share my news with his D. You're right, she has no need to know and would probably stir the pot with her father, most likely to find out what his intentions are. That's not helpful right now.

I think I'm anticipating what's in his head so that I can protect myself from hurt by being prepared for it. Often that is just a self-fulfilling prophecy. His hot (lukewarm, rather?) and cold gets me. Last time I saw him he said "I wish you met me after I worked through all my issues." I've been chewing on that for three weeks.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 06/25/12 06:45 PM
GNW,
The best thing you can do is enjoy the trip. Treat this trip as one you are going on w/a best friend. Leave mlc and your anxiety at home. You don't know what he may or may not say and why bring trouble to your door and you haven't even gotton on the boat yet? Who knows? It may a very nice trip and one that you'll enjoy...so think POSITIVE!
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 06/25/12 11:18 PM
Had a great visit with H's daughter.

Soon after she arrived she asked me about my new career plans. I was truly surprised that she knew about this, and when I asked her how she knew she said H told her. Apparently he just offered up the information, "as if nothing has happened". She told him that she already knew because she didn't want him thinking he had the information before she did.

So at the end of our visit she told me he's keeping the boat and asked if I knew this. I told her I didn't (not from him anyway), and that he and I hadn't talked about it. I guess he can unilaterally make this decision if he plans to take on the loan right away, but to assume I'll stay on as cosigner for an indeterminate length of time is a bit of a stretch, since it violates our separation agreement.

Why would H feel the need to pass my news on to his D, like it's his to share, like he's proud of me? Yet at the same time not say a word to me about the boat?
Posted By: ~ kd ~ Re: New Day Rising - 06/25/12 11:41 PM
Trust the information and be sure that no matter the source, use the 48 hour rule.

It's great you had a great visit with your H's daughter. Even though she appears to be sharing HIS information with you, you do not know if he expected her to tell you or if she's expecting you to share back and she'll pass that on to your H.

If he wants to tell you, he will. Until then, you can remain otherwise oblivious to that info, at least in his mind, by not talking to him about it, unless he brings it up.
Posted By: ~ kd ~ Re: New Day Rising - 06/25/12 11:44 PM
Oh, I meant about the boat.

About your info to his D? Well, any number of reasons, one of which might be to keep up the façade that you and he talk a lot and are getting along and are sharing info with each other...

Or maybe he's just proud that he knows something about you and trying to impress people that he has that knowledge... crazy
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 06/26/12 11:43 AM
GWN,
Now you see why I was cautious about sharing info w/your h's daughter. I have a feeling that had you said something about the boat or shared additional informatiion about you and your h, she would have carried the info right back to him. A person that brings info, most likely will carry info back.

I have an additional thought to add to the one's that Kaffe mentioned...maybe your h told his daughter about the boat, hoping that she would break the news to you so that you wouldn't be angry about it and have time to settle down. Sometimes mlcers manipulate others to do their bidding and he may have done that so that she could go back and tell him your reaction.

Now, that you have the information, you need to sit down and think about how you are going to handle this. If it violates the separation agreement, you will need to take action. Do not allow this to slip through the cracks because if you do, he will think it is okay to do whatever he wants w/o discussing it w/you. I would wait until the trip to see if he brings it up. If he doesn't, you will need to pick a time and discuss it w/him.

There are any number of reasons why he's sharing info w/his daughter and we could sit here all day trying to rationalize why he's doing what he's doing. However, that will not resolve the issue of the boat sale for you. GWN, time to think about what you want to do and when.
Posted By: ~ kd ~ Re: New Day Rising - 06/26/12 01:06 PM
Originally Posted By: snodderly
Sometimes mlcers manipulate others to do their bidding and he may have done that so that she could go back and tell him your reaction.

My W has used both third parties AND the kids to get info passed on to me.

Thinking about that briefly, now. Not being detached and therefore still reacting to my W's words or action, can lead her to feel unsafe with me. Unable to tell me things.

My new focus is to get immersed into a connection with my W to practice my detachment and hopefully I can be someone she feels emotionally safe with, again.

It's starts with us.
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 06/26/12 01:13 PM
Thanks KD and Snodderly

KD - the boat information is sort of his, but not entirely because I am cosigner on the loan.

It's good for me that he's taking it on because then I won't have the residual debt upon selling it (as stated in the separation agreement re: shared debt). However I need to know when he plans to get my name off the loan (how is not as important...unless he's getting a partner, in which case I will want compensation).

Snodderly - I don't think he was testing my reaction for a couple of reasons. One, we've discussed this previously, and I support him keeping the boat as it's better for me financially. And two, I have always been reasonable in my engagement with him.

The devil, of course, is in the details, his expectations, and what I am willing to accept/do.

So he HAS to tell me at some point. I will remain oblivious up to a point. I have been patient, kind and generous with him up to now and don't want to be taken advantage of.

My guess is he'll bring it up when we're fishing. I'll go from there, depending on what he says.

KD - I think you're on to something with your theory about H telling his D about my career plans. Gives the impression that everything's tickity boo with us, that I'm happy with the split and we're BFFs. Makes him less the bad guy, too. I just have a hard time reconciling his willingness to talk about me but not talk to me.

Maybe the fantasy he said he might be living in when we first split has changed, and now the fantasy is with me.

Snodderly - I also think you're right about conveyers of information. I'm sure H's D shares our conversations with him. At the very least I'd guess she wants to rub his nose in the fact that she and I have a great relationship (H might be pulling a "me too!" thing).

This time around she could be telling him that I'm turning my *bad luck* into an opportunity, have had enough life decisions imposed on me, have a buyer for my house should I choose to sell, and I'm thinking of leaving the province if not the country.

At any rate, I'll know more very soon.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 06/26/12 01:26 PM
GWN,
Patience is the key and when you sit quietly, the answers will actually drop into your lap. You'll know very soon what is on your h's mind...just a few more days!
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 06/26/12 01:30 PM
Originally Posted By: Kaffe Diem
My new focus is to get immersed into a connection with my W to practice my detachment and hopefully I can be someone she feels emotionally safe with, again.

It's starts with us.

Absolutely.

My challenge is that H NEVER felt safe, never trusted. That is why he NEVER talked about his past. It is in all truth a black box. I know NOTHING of his childhood or home town.

He initially said "I can't, I'm scared" when I implored him to "grow a set" and deal with his issues. There were times when we spoke where it seemed like he was on the edge of telling me something but didn't/couldn't.

The reality of this set in with me only when he told me in the past few weeks that he has to learn that it's OK to trust, that he can be safe, among other things.

When I took this information and set it against our history, all signs pointed in one direction. It bugs me to no end that no therapist I spoke to was able to connect the dots and point me to 1 in 6.

He says he is slowly working on his issues, and that there is a lot of work to do. I will not push. He will let me in when and if he chooses to. And if he chooses not to, I can only hope that he finds peace.

Thanks KD. I needed to to be brought back to "home" in all of this. I told H that if all of this has brought him to a place where he can deal with what must be some really painful things, then I'd do it all again tomorrow. I needed reminding of that.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 06/26/12 01:39 PM
GWN,
What you have shared in your last posting makes me wonder if you h was abused mentally, emotionall or sexually as a child. Something definitely happened to him that has created the mistrust and not feeling safe. Some day, he will open up to someone, but it's not going to be any time soon.

BTW, before Jack comes around...you might want to think about a new title and thread... you've hit the 101 mark!
Posted By: greatwhitenorth Re: New Day Rising - 06/26/12 05:46 PM
Yes, Snodderly, that's been my sense of all this since our last conversation and my subsequent research. I feel like I'm betraying him by talking about it, even though it's only a theory for me right now. It's just so huge.

Next post will be a new thread, after the fishing trip.
Posted By: job Re: New Day Rising - 06/26/12 10:23 PM
gwn,
You aren't betraying your h by discussing it here. It is only a theory and it could be something else. However, his comments concern me. You'll just have to wait and see if he will tell you.
© DivorceBusting.com