Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: Cadet 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/08/10 11:42 AM
As my approach down the instrument landing system(ILS) continues. 1000 feet above the runway is a call by one of the pilots. This lets the other pilot know that the ground is coming soon. The next call is at 100 feet and it is either LAND or GO AROUND. This call is made if you can see the runway and are in a safe position to land.

Well it seems like this is where I am on my journey. The weather is still bad but the plane is following its course on the way to landing. A lot can still go wrong but hopefully the pilots can navigate their way to touch down.

This is a link to my previous thread:

http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1942957&page=1
OP - Here's to the safest of landings! Many thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Godspeed!

SA
Posted By: Lostforwords Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/09/10 12:05 AM
OP-

I checked on those threads for you....hopefully I helped with the one that really needs it...will see.

I used to love driving with my headlights turned off. Sometimes it is more enjoyable to not know what is ahead and live for the second.

Ran 2.5 miles today.....How about you?
OP - I'm new at this and probably can't be of much help, I just want you to know how much I've appreciated all the help you have given me and others through your caring, kindness and compassion.
You've had a lot on your plate and yet you continued to be there for us.

Just wanted you to know that you and what you have to offer would be greatly missed.

Please take care.

SA
Posted By: HeartsBlessing Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/12/10 03:33 AM
OP,

You all right? Everything going well? I stopped in to check on you.

Hang in there, my friend, hope to see you back again, soon, and with good news I hope. smile

Have a great evening. smile
OP,

I loved bumpy landings, cause at least you landed.
Pilot,

I think your requests for comments got lost in my thread, which I am trying to let die.

: )

I'd comment on it...but I think my postion was pretty clear.

Less leading by the nose, more by example, and people should take in on their shoulders to be supportive...and less needy.
Give to get. : )
Posted By: C-Bart Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/12/10 09:36 PM
I like it Jack. Now what should I do with this information? :-)
Seems like a trick question Bart. ; )

Do with it what you want.
Posted By: job Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/12/10 11:56 PM
OP,
How are things going w/you and your family? How is your dad?
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/13/10 06:21 PM
Well thank you for asking, he is basically the same. He has been on the meds for 1 week now. The doctor is saying that it will take 6-8 weeks before we know if they are working or not.So far no side effects. I am working on the Male menopause book by Jed Diamond. It is really good. I left a post about it on J3B old thread. Thank you for suggesting it to me.
Posted By: job Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/13/10 07:19 PM
I will keep your father in my thoughts and prayers. It is a difficult journey he is on right now, but stay positive, the meds may be the key.

I'm glad you are enjoying the book.
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/13/10 07:32 PM
Quote:
I'm glad you are enjoying the book.
Was reading some sections of it to my wife last night. He was talking about snoring and trouble sleeping. We both laughed.
Posted By: HeartsBlessing Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/14/10 04:21 PM
Good morning, OP,

Dropping to to let you know that you and your family continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

And I wanted to apologize directly to you; I am truly sorry; I never meant for you to be dragged into this whole mess, such as it was, nor do I mean for you to "take sides". I wasn't even referring to you in any of what I'd posted on J3B's old thread.

I realize you do not want to talk to me right now, or possibly ever again, and I can and will respect that, if that's the case.
I will not reiterate what I'd seen upon coming here, but I see things no one else does because I'm "outside" now.

Please don't grace the above with an answer, as I am not trying to restart a discussion that is over and done with; I'm done with that, and probably should never have posted what I did; but I am, who I am and have become over the years..and further changing will come as I grow older, and hopefully wiser.

Even if you decide not to speak with me again; I still have you within my thoughts/prayers, and will continue to check on you from time to time, as the burden you're carrying at this point is a heavy one.

In time, I will finish what I'm here to do, and leave again, this time for good.

So, any questions you might have, ask them while you can; this chance will not come this way once I leave this final time.

And you'll know when I do.

With that said:

Mentoring is and can be, a heavy responsibility; and I think you are well on your way toward doing that in an effective way.

You know more than you think you know, and that's a fact.

The experience you've gained is vital to helping others; if you haven't been there, you cannot even hope to help; and I believe you can and will. Not only here, but elsewhere in 3-D/real life.

Your confidence is building in that you're more sure of your answers; and it will continue to build as time goes on.

I met a man that was much like you years ago, that had been mentoring people through MLC for a number of years. He was very kind, patient, loved people, and truly wanted to help, though he'd been out of his own/his wife's for a number of years.

He was helpful to me, too; when I talked to him at some length.

I'd talked to many over that time, and each one gave me a "piece" of the puzzle to put into that big picture.

And, I believe that has been the same for you. All those pieces coming together into one big picture..and with that same picture, you'll draw on your experience/intuition helping others as you were helped.

Hope your Sunday is going well. smile

I'm hitting the road, got a long way to go.

Blessings to you, your wife, and your family, OP. smile
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/14/10 06:28 PM
Quote:
I realize you do not want to talk to me right now, or possibly ever again
This quote is totally untrue. HB this has nothing at all to do with you or J3B thread.

It is about me.

Please understand that I did not try to take sides but just called it like I saw it. I hope you didn't read what I said as being either for you or against you. Again you have no need to apologize for anything. Please believe what I have said.

Thank you for your wishes for me and my family.
I am at my dads house right now with S22.
S22 has returned from Vienna and was accepted into IST for a PHD program in computer science. He will visit Dartmouth on April 2 to see the particulars of their offer and then have to decide between those two schools. He also has to finish writing his thesis so he can graduate on May 22 with and undergraduate/masters degree in math.

My dad has upped his medication to 1 whole pill three times a day and so far their are no side effects. Whether this medication is helping or not is unknown. It could take another 6-8 weeks before we know for sure.

Peaceful weekend so far. Hope everyone else is enjoying their weekend.
Posted By: HeartsBlessing Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/15/10 02:38 AM
Hello OP,

Please understand that when I'm not sure about something, I always ask about it. smile

Well, I meant to put "probably" in there, and actually thought I did, I'm sorry again.

No, just to clarify this; I did NOT take what you said as being for or against me, and I don't operate that way; I never did.

'nuff said on that. smile

Don't worry about me, I will be fine, and that's a fact. smile

I'm in Oregon, at the moment; got to deliver in Washington State tomorrow; then got to pick up a load coming back across to the southern east coast. smile

I'm attempting to work it out so I can go home and be able to go with my husband to the doctor toward the last of this month so they can change his cast again.

My husband continues to mend as the days go on, he's complaining that he's tired of sitting around; his bones are knitting back together; that has caused him some pain.

He is doing well, though; we're staying in touch quite frequently.

I'm glad to see your weekend has been quite peaceful.

I know the problem with your dad, has really weighed heavy on you.

Have a good one. smile
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/18/10 01:12 PM
I just finished reading a book called "Male menopause" by Jed Diamond. I would highly recommend it to everyone
on this board. I never thought that I was going through menopause but the more I read this book I found out how wrong I was. We are going through the same thing as our spouses. The science of it is much slower than the female version but it is the same. The lessons that we are learning as the LBS all contribute to our passing though this time of our life. We need to do things to pass though our middle life transition to the beginning of the next part of our life but none the less it is all there. As I read of everyone's trials and tribulations with their spouses or ex-s I realize that we all must "grow up". This book is helping me to see what is happening much more clearly!

There are parts on sleeping patterns, snoring, mentoring, hormones, and of course sex. There is a companion book that I am going to read next called "Surviving Male Menopause for men and women" I will report on that when I get done. There is also a huge resource section for all sorts of things related to this.

Reading books is really a 180 for me. I don't think that I read 1 book in the last 35 years. Now when I get done with the books I have right now I will be up to 10 books so far since June.

Thanks again Snodderly for recommending this one.
I still need to find M GO BLUE posts about this book.
But here is the link to his thread if any one else wants to read him. It seems that Paul was a very good DB'er. His writings are also included in the resources.

http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubb...60755#Post60755

My wife does a lot of reading, she always has! It is going to take me quite a while to catch up with her. LOL!
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/20/10 12:25 AM
LostForWords,

I am taking your advice and I am no longer giving you the treadmill.
I did 1 mile tonight. Walking and Running. Don't laugh I am Old!!! But I broke a sweat and got my heart beating, so now I have to keep doing this and work my way up!
Posted By: Lostforwords Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/22/10 01:36 PM
OP-

LOL...awesome. You have to start somewhere. I would make one suggestion though. Before you move to running...just walk and raise the grades. What I have found is that unless you can do a prolonged run (longer than say 10 minutes) walking on steep grades for a longer period of time is more beneficial. Also a heck of a lot less stressful on knees not used to the impact of running.
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/22/10 01:54 PM
LFW

Thanks,
I do have bad knees will work on your suggestion. Have an appointment with the machine again for tonight.
Speed walking looks funny as hell...like a chicken with a stick up its butt...however, It is very helpful for those with bad knees, and is good for both cardio and weight.
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/27/10 06:38 PM
Took my Dad to West Point yesterday along with both of our wives. We went to see The Drifters(Charlie Thomas) and Little Anthony and the Imperials. Everyone seemed to have a good time. My father is up to 2 pills three times a day and he is still making baby steps to recovering the use of his legs.Still no side effects. We took the wheelchair all over the place and it was good for him to get out!

I missed out on my treadmill last night so I will make up my running tonight!

Next weekend I/we am/are headed to Dartmouth to visit the campus with S22. Hopefully he will see that he wants to get his PHD from there in computer science/Math.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.
Posted By: trustingfaith Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/27/10 06:46 PM
Glad to hear your dad is doing okay - hopefully he will continue to make improvements. I'm sure he loved getting out and about.

You must be so proud of your kids!
Posted By: job Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/27/10 10:19 PM
I am happy to read that your father is doing just a little bit better. Step by step...the medication appears to be working. I'm sure that all of you enjoyed the bands. I haven't heard those names in years! I bet they can still perform well!

Enjoy your weekend!
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/30/10 02:56 PM
I am just about finished reading "Surviving Male Menopause" by Jed Diamond. I wanted put some quotes here for all to read.

15 Things you can do to help once male menopause is recognized
There is no magic formula that works for everyone.

1.Recognize the similarities and differences between male and female menopause.
2.Have patience, din't give up when things become difficult
3.Be gentle and kind with yourself and your man.
4. Recognize that this is probably the most difficult and confusing time of life for both of you.
5.Take good care of yourself. Attend to your own needs and feel good on seven levels - hormonally,physically,emotionally,interpersonally, sexually,socially, and spiritually.
6. Accept that he will be resistant at first to the concept of male menopause.
7. He likely will be concerned at first with one or two aspects of male menopause.
8. Listen to his concerns. It is tempting to want him to do something. Remember the first step to action is acknowledging there is a problem.
9.Keep Listening
10.Reassure him that you love him and the 2 of you will get through this together.
11.Let him know that although you understand that this is difficult you will not stand by and allow yourself to be abused by his words or actions.
12. Seek support together. Books can be useful.
13.Men are resistant to taking advice from women. Sometimes getting another man, a friend or colleague involved can be helpful.
14. Talk to him about what you see and feel. Particularly emphasize the positive things.
15.Seek professional counseling.

8 Things You Should Not Do

1. Don't ignore the changes that occur at this time of life. Male menopause is as natural as puberty and as impossible to ignore.
2.Don't Panic. Your wonderful man has not turned into a monster, although like his adolescent counterpart, it may seem like he has.
3.Don't Blame yourself.
4. Don't be afraid to talk to others.
5. Don't laugh at your man or ridicule his behavior. Men's greatest fear at this stage of life is that they are acting like fools. Love and supprot him even if his behavior is hard to take.
6.Don't let him make you the brunt of his anger.
7.Don't give up on yourself or the R. If its worth keeping, its worth fighting for.
8. Don't try too hard to make his life better. Ultimately, this is his change of of life and he must navigate it for himself.

I thought that this is great advice for both men and women. I really want to recommend these books, and yes there are a few things in this list that contradict what we do here in MLC but overall it is really a good read.

So...what are the symptoms OP?
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/30/10 05:35 PM
Quote:
So...what are the symptoms OP?
Ok Jack I'll bite. Since I know you never read anything on this website. LOL.
Actually men's symptoms are very similar to womens.

I can quote from the book.

Reduced libido reduced potency or sex drive
Reduced ability to maintain an erection
Fatique
Depression
Aches pains stiffness
Irritablity and anger
Night sweats
Dryness and thinning of skin
Hot Flashes
Premature ejaculation
Stress
Excessive alchol use
Medications
Injuries
Infections
And just for you JACK Smoking and obesity

From a womens website that I am on these are for women:
An Introduction to Menopause:34 Signs / Symptoms of Menopause

There's been a list of the "34 signs of menopause" circulating for years. The list originated with Judy Bayliss' wonderful newsgroup, The Menopaus Listserv (That's Menopaus without the "e" at the end).

I've taken the liberty of adding my own Notes to the original list. You'll find hundreds of articles pertaining to menopause symptoms, treatments and menopause / midlife-related health and emotional issues including articles on midlife relationships, weight and fitness issues, intimacy, psychological problems associated with menopause in Power Surge's, "Educate Your Body" extensive library.

I suggest you begin with the comprehensive article explaining what menopause is (by clicking this link): in "An Introduction To Menopause: Signs, Symptoms and Treatments"

You'll find remedies for most of these symptoms on the Recommendations page.

Here is the list of: "The 34 Signs of Menopause:"

1. Hot flashes, flushes, night sweats and/or cold flashes, clammy feeling (related to increased activity in the autonomic / sympathetic nervous system). Without becoming too, technical, messages are sent to the hypothalmus because of declining estrogen production via neurons which result in vasodilation -- widening of the lumen of blood vessels (lumen being the cavity of a tubular organ, i.e., the lumen of a blood vessel,) which, in turn, causes flushing or hot flashes. Tips for treating/minimizing (and even avoiding) hot flashes: Power Surge's Menopause Survival Tips. Also, read the Power Surges (hot flashes) Forum

2. Bouts of rapid heartbeat (related to increased activity in the autonomic / sympathetic nervous system) Note: Along with rapid heartbeat (palpitations), women can experience skipped heartbeats, irregular heartbeats. These are generally normal vasomotor responses experienced during menopause - usually due to fluctuating hormone levels. However, if these problems continue, it's always a good idea to be checked by your health care practitioner. An echocardiogram is a common procedure to tell the doctor what he needs to know about your heart. If your health care practitioner doesn't suggest it, ASK FOR IT! Read the Palpitations, Heart Issues, Hypertension Forum

3. Irritability. Note: Along with irritability, a host of "anger" problems can develop during menopause. Just as a perimenopausal woman can find herself suddenly crying for no apparent reason or provocation, so can she find herself reacting to given situations in an angrier manner than she normally does. This anger can sometimes feel like "rage." Again, this is hormone-induced, but for some women, the anger can become inappropriate and a woman can feel like she's out of control. There's nothing wrong with seeking counselling to discuss these issues with a mental health professional. This is a challenging time of life and some objective outside help can be tremendously useful in helping a woman cope with all the emotions she's feeling. Remember, menopause isn't simply physical changes, but emotional and spiritual changes as well. There's an excellent forum on the Power Surge Message Board that deals with the issues of Anger / Mood Swings / Rage.

4. Mood swings, sudden tears. Note: Mood swings can include anything from mood shifts (happy one moment, deprssed the next) to sudden bouts of crying when nothing overt has occurred to cause the crying. Mood swings can and have been misdiagnosed as bipolar disorder because one can feel such extremes of emotions due to hormone imbalance. Anxiety, depression, panic attacks and even feelings of agoraphobia aren't uncommon during menopause. The panic attacks often can develop with the onset of hot flashes. For some women, hot flashes can be severe and quite frightening.

5. Trouble sleeping through the night (with or without night sweats). Note: This can develop into insomnia or just waking at 2 in the morning for an hour. Relaxation and breathing exercises can be useful at this time -- many women may log onto the Power Surge message boards and are surprised to find so many other women there in the middle of the night. More help on the Insomnia, Sleep Disorders Forum

6. Irregular periods: shorter, lighter or heavier periods, flooding, and phantom periods. Note: A phantom period is when you experience all the symptoms you're accustomed to having before you menstruate -- but... no period comes. This is a common experience during perimenopause before a woman's period actually stops.

7. Loss of libido (sex drive). Note: Not every woman loses her libido entirely during perimenopause, although some may temporarily. Many women simply have a decreased interest in sex - often it's simply because they generally don't feel well and sex is the last thing on their mind! Also, bear in mind that there are many medications that can affect one's libido, including the anti-depressants some women take to cope with the depression and anxiety associated with menopause to anti-hypertensives.

8. Dry vagina (results in painful intercourse) Note: Click here for an excellent article about vaginal dryness, sexuality and midlife relationships. Recommended: Sexual Issues/Libido Forum

9. Crashing fatigue. Note: I've never been able to determine if the "fatigue" associated with perimenopause is a symptom in and of itself, or if it's a side effect of the cumulative symptoms and general exhaustion (from them) many women experience. Take all the symptoms and "dump" them on one person -- is it any wonder perimenopausal women are so fatigued? If you can, try to find time to grab a nap. One of the things that helped my fatigue, and it's all chronicled in my personal odyssey to find remedies, is the use of considerable amounts of soy isoflavones and protein, which I found in Revival Soy. I can't say that it specifically targetted and relieved the crashing fatigue, but it helped so many other symptoms and gave me a burst of energy, that I feel comfortable in attributing the fatigue relief to Revival. There are various vitamins, such as those in the "B" family, that can help with fatigue as well. Also, increased amounts of vitamin C. The Recommendations page lists numerous vita-nutrients that can be useful in treating fatigue and other symptoms associated with perimenopause.

10. Anxiety, feeling ill at ease.Note: One of the biggest complaints during menopause. Read the Anxiety/Stress Forum

11. Feelings of dread, apprehension, and doom (includes thoughts of death, picturing one's own death). Note: It's possible that this can be a manifestation of depression associated with menopause, or possibly feelings that come from going through daily discomfort through a difficult menopause transition that can last anywhere from 3-12 years. A woman living under these circumstances can feel totally overwhelmed and frightened by the physical, psychological and spiritual changes. When there seems to be no reprieve from the suffering, for some it can leave them feeling drained wondering when and IF they'll ever feel well again. It isn't unusual for women at this time of life to have thoughts about dying. One phase of their life is coming to a close (not soon enough for many). There may be apprehension and fear about moving on to the next phase of life and wondering whether things will get better or worse. Helpful: The Panic Attacks / Disorder / Fear / Apprehension Forum

12. Difficulty concentrating, disorientation, & mental confusion. Note: Forgetfulness during perimenopause is often referred to lightly and humorously as "brain fog" but it's not always funny. Note: An excellent article, Menopause And The Mind. Also, visit the Memory Loss, Foggy Thinking, Forgetfulness, Verbal Slips Forum

13. Disturbing memory lapses. Note: See #12,

14. Incontinence -- especially upon sneezing, laughing: urge incontinence (reflects a general loss of smooth muscle tone).

15. Itchy, crawly skin (feeling of ants crawling under the skin, not just dry, itchy skin Note: the feeling of ants crawling on your skin is called "formication") Visit the Your Skin: Dryness, Itching, Vaginal Dryness, Disorders, Discomfort Forum

16. Aching, sore joints, muscles and tendons. (may include such problems as carpal tunnel syndrome). Note: Osteoarthritis can develop during perimenopause - and those with existing arthritic and/or rheumatic pain may find it's exacerbated during the menopausal transition. See the Joints Aches and Pains/Arthrisitis Forum

17. Increased tension in muscles.

18. Breast tenderness. Note: Breast swelling, soreness, pain.

19. Headache change: increase or decrease. Note: Many women develop migraine headaches during perimenopause. However, if one doesn't have a history of migraine headeaches, they're generally a short-lived experience of perimenopause. Also see the Headaches, Migraine Forum

20. Gastrointestinal distress, indigestion, flatulence, gas pain, nausea. Note: For nausea, try some ginger or, as I use, boiling hot water with a few teaspoons of lemon or lemon juice concentrate in it. Many women also develop acid reflux (Gerd). For some, it can be an uncomfortable feeling of severe burning sensations in the throat. If it persists, see your health care practitioner.

21. Sudden bouts of bloat. Note: Bloating, water retention are common complaints during perimenopause. Also, Acid reflux and heartburn are very common during perimenopause. Treat them as you would if you weren't going through menopause.

22. Depression (has a quality from other depression, the inability to cope is overwhelming, there is a feeling of a loss of self. Natural hormone therapy, ameliorates the depression dramatically). Note: There are various natural methods of treating depression. Read Power Surge's Menopause Survival Tips. Also, many women using progestins or progesterone supplementation experience "depression" as a side effect. Power Surge recommends only naturally compounded, bio-identical hormones. Naturally compounded estrogen and progesterone supplementation doses can be individually adjusted to suit each woman's needs. So, if a woman is experiencing depression from progesterone, the level of progesterone supplementation can be reduced until the compounding pharmacist comes up with the right blend. The combination of estrogen and progesterone is important in achieving the desired results. Other remedies, such as St. John's Wort can be very effective in alleviating the depression associated with menopause.

My personal experience was that my perimenopause-related depression was elliminated when I started using Revival Soy Protein Revival is excellent for mood swings, but I was astonished by the impact it had on the hormone-related "lows" I experienced before using it. Also recommended, The Depression Forum

23. Exacerbation of any existing conditions. Note: Often, conditions women had prior to entering perimenopause become exaggerated (worse) during the menopause transition.

24. Increase in allergies. Note: Many women who suffer from allergies develop worse allergies during the menopausal years. Many women who've never had allergy or respiratory problems may develop them for the first time. Many people don't realize that histamine levels are affected by hormone levels. Women can develop wheezing, coughing and a host of respiratory problems. This generally disappears as the hormones level out once a woman becomes menopausal.

25. Weight gain. (is often around the waist and thighs, resulting in "the disappearing waistline" and changes in body shape.) A good read, Weight Gain and Fitness Issues

26. Hair loss or thinning, head or whole body, increase in facial hair. Note: There is often a loss of pubic hair during menopause. Many women are more comfortable simply shaving their pubic area instead of having patches of hair.

27. Dizziness, light-headedness, episodes of loss of balance. Note: Although common complaints during menopause, I always recommend anyone suffering from dizziness, dysequilibrium have her blood pressure checked just to be on the safe side. However, women can experience these symptoms during perimenopause without having hypertension.

28. Changes in body odor. Note: I wouldn't be too concerned about this one. It can happen, but in 13 years of running Power Surge, I've heard of relatively few cases of developing body odor during menopause.

29. Electric shock sensation under the skin & in the head ("take the feeling of a rubber band snapping against the skin, multiply it (exponentially, sometimes) radiate it & put it in the layer of tissues between skin & muscle & sometimes a precursor to a hot flash.") Note: Those buzzing sensations, as though you've put your finger into a live electrical socket, can be frightening. They're all part of the hormones, nerve endings and electrical waves running through our bodies when our hormones are constantly fluctuating. Many women experience this during perimenopause, but it eventually passes.

30. Tingling in the extremities (can also be a symptom of B-12 deficiency, diabetes, or from an alteration in the flexibility of blood vessels in the extremities.)

31. Gum problems, increased bleeding.

32. Burning tongue

33. Osteoporosis (after several years)

34. Brittle fingernails, which peel & break easily.

Some additional signs from Dearest:

# Dry skin / skin changes
# Internal shaking / tremor-like feelings. Read the Internal Shaking Forum
# Acne and other skin eruptions
# Itching wildly and erratic rashes
# Shoulder pain / joints / arthritis development or flare up in preexisting conditions
# "Heart pain" - a feeling of pain in the area of the heart (if persistent, get checked by your health care practitioner)
# Acid reflux / heartburn / difficulty digesting certain foods

Some of the 34 signs may also be symptoms of one of the following:

# Hypothyroidism
# Diabetes
# Depression with another etiology
# Other medical conditions (see The Educate Your Body Library)

If you have reason to believe you may have one of these conditions, see your healthcare practitioner for treatment.

Dearest Note: Remember that although these may be common complaints during menopause, they might also indicate some other health problem. Be sure to consult with your personal health care practitioner before attributing these symptoms to menopause.
Posted By: Lostforwords Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/30/10 05:40 PM
OP-

Shouldn't you be running...double mileage today for skipping yesterday!!!!!!!!!

Joking...good list though. Very informative.

Well if I am going to challenge you....I have work to do of my own.
I'm not fat, I'm big boned.

ummm WTF does reduced potency mean?

Sounds like a deal breaker to me.

"did you just have an O?"

"ummmm...I think so...."

Screw that!
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 03/31/10 05:25 PM
Quote:
I'm not fat, I'm big boned.
Was not referring to bones.
Talking about 2 weeks !!!!
Posted By: Goodfight Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/01/10 04:14 PM
OP,

I can't thank you enough for all of your help. You are such a great person, you go out of your way to help others. I'm confused though as far as telling your S that they are going through menopause. The book that you were talking about does contradict what is said here. Telling them that you are there for them, that you love and understand.

See, this is where I get confused on my sitch. I got told not to tell H that I love and miss him because it seems needy. Also not to have contact anymore unless he contacts me. What do you suggest?
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/02/10 01:17 PM
Went to see Dad last night he is still making some small improvements. We see a cycle 3 or 4 bad days but then the good days he is a little better than before. Yesterday he remembered that it was Thursday and recycling day. W and I head off to Dartmouth tonight to visit S22 so he can decide where to spend the next 6 years for his PHD.
Glad to hear that your father is still improving.

Have a great trip to see your son! Congrats!
Posted By: Lostforwords Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/05/10 11:39 PM
Hey OP...Find me on the ALT...I am on Eric's page....a in orange on a cliff
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/10/10 01:44 PM
Took my father and his W to the city yesterday to see his doctor. He has not been progressing in the last 2 weeks. He has been sleeping a lot and seems to be a little more depressed and maybe even paranoid. These are all side effects from the medication and the syndrome he has. The doctor upped his medication by 25% and in two weeks it will go up another 33%. If by then there are no marked improvements then they will lower the dosage and take him off this medication to try a new one.

We will see him again tomorrow as we are going to West Point to see Frankie Avalon and Fabian.
Posted By: job Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/10/10 11:04 PM
OP,
I'm sorry to read that progress for your father has stalled. Sometimes this happens and when the medication is upped, he will begin to progress again. At least, I am praying that this will be the case for your father.

I use to love Frankie Avalon and Fabian (in my younger days). I do hope you enjoy the show! Let us know how it is.
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/12/10 01:01 PM
Quote:
I use to love Frankie Avalon and Fabian (in my younger days). I do hope you enjoy the show! Let us know how it is.
The show was good. Lou Christie was there to take the place of Bobby Rydell who has a shoulder injury.

In the band Frankie Avalon's son is the drummer and one of the guitar players was the son of the Everly brothers so they did some tunes from the Everly brothers which was really good.

Fabian did a lot of talking not enough singing and he has definitely aged.
Posted By: job Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/13/10 08:49 PM
Thanks for sharing about the show. I'm sorry Bobby wasn't there and good grief...Fabian probably can't carry the notes like he use to and now has to talk!

I hope that you and the Mrs. enjoyed the show...that's all that matters!
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/18/10 12:50 PM
Yes we did enjoy the show.

Update on my dad. I got a call from his wife yesterday while I was at work. She was trying to move him in the bedroom and they fell down. Luckily no one was hurt but I had to rush over to their house to help her lift him up. I think she was more upset than anything. He was just laying on the floor when I got there.

The increase in medicine does not seem to be giving much improvement. Not going down hill, but not getting better. Next Friday he goes to 4 - 250mg pills a day from 3. In 2 weeks we go back to the doctor.
Posted By: job Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/18/10 12:56 PM
OMG! That had to been awful for the both of them....falling down. Thank goodness they are both okay. Thank goodness you are close enough to go over and assist. Your poor father! Maybe the medication isn't showing any improvement, but it does sound like he's staying stable, i.e., not going up or down at the moment. Let's hope and pray the increase will help him.

I continue to pray for him.
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/18/10 01:00 PM
That is the problem with this disease. You don't die from it, but from some side effect like falling down or choking. I am sure that is why his W was so upset. Natural reaction, after help came to "Save them"
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/29/10 09:53 PM
I just finished reading the book "Menopause" by Sally Conway. The book was written about 20 years ago. Her husband(Jim Conway) wrote a lot of male mid-life books and they run a clinic in California devoted to mid-life problems. She seems to really advocate estrogen, along with other things. I need to do some more research on what happens if you don't take estrogen. According to S. Conway Osteoporosis, heart disease, and other things are the major problems. She seems to think that doctors and OBGYN are using old information about the risks of cancer with ERT. It was an interesting book, I just wonder how up to date the knowledge is.

I have a more recent book called "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Christine Northrup will start reading that to see if their are different ideas.
Also got Men in Mid-Life Crisis by Jim Conway.
My reading continues. I have really read a lot of books now.
Quite a change for me.
Posted By: job Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/29/10 09:58 PM
Keep reading! The books you mentioned are all good. Sally passed away a few years ago, but Jim still continues on w/his work and he has his own web site, i.e., forum.

Sally's data isn't too far off base...concerning health issues, etc.
Posted By: Matt-14 Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/30/10 12:05 AM
OP,

Reading does help. I read a lot in the beginning. I was always trying to find the answers to explain our problems.

It helped me get through as does reading this board. My W always thought I was trying to fix her though so I usually would read in private.

How does your W feal about you reading these books?

I hope your Dad gets better,

Matt
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/30/10 12:17 PM
Originally Posted By: Matt-14
I hope your Dad gets better

Thanks Matt, about my dad. He is going for another doctors appointment today. I was suppose to go with them to NYC but the doctor changed the appointment last night at 5PM. I don't think I can rearrange my schedule for today to be able to go. Kind of disappointed about that.
When I find out what was said I will post it.
Originally Posted By: Matt-14
How does your W feel about you reading these books?
Thats an interesting question Matt. I don't really know the answer to it. I guess in the scheme of things I am worried about looking in the mirror and fixing me. I really can't worry about what she thinks. I can only hope that she will look in the mirror and fix the things that she needs to fix, but I have no control over that.

Why did you ask that question?
Posted By: peacetoday Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 04/30/10 01:22 PM
and the thing is through the crises we do fix us
maybe we thought we would help them--but its really about us
peace
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 05/01/10 03:04 PM
My dad went to see the Dr. yesterday, I was unable to go because the appointment got changed at the last minute and I could not juggle things at my business to be able to go. The results of the meeting are as follows. She felt that his reactions were better than 3 weeks ago. He thinking is a little clearer. He is not really making that much progress in standing up or moving his feet. So she is keeping him on the meds (Synamet) at the current dosage 1000mg/day. He will continue to get PT at home. The next appointment is for 10 weeks from now July 15.
OP, Good to hear some positives with your dad. Thoughts and prayers going out for his continued improvement.
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 05/04/10 01:35 PM
As my reading continues: I am a little over halfway thru "Men in Midlife Crisis", by Jim Conway. It was written in 1978. I guess it is the basis for many things that are on this board. I found the part about the 6 stages of MLC, although I must admit that HB's rendition is much better than Conway's.

I just found this part that is interesting to me and maybe other men whose wive's are going thru this. I will quote

"The woman who has been anchored in her relationships with other people - her husband, her children her parents.
If she derives a great deal of her self esteem from these three sources, she will experience greater trauma through the two stress periods of her life. Her husband will be going thru his own MLC and will not be the stable person she counted on. Her children will be establishing their own identities and will need to break away from the close mother relationship. Her parents are in need of more care and , in some sense, the woman in mid-life becomes the responsible adult overseeing her parents in their later years."

"So her sense of worth must come from within. She should also see her value as something larger than a manager of the household."

I don't know how Conway managed to see my marriage in his book, but it is all written as if he knew.

I will have another quote in a few mins.
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 05/04/10 01:48 PM
Conway quoted psychologist Clifford Adams in what motivates men and woman in choosing a mate. In order from top to bottom.

MALE
Companionship
Sex
Love-affection-sentiment
Home & Family
A Help-Mate
Security

FEMALE
Love-affection-sentiment
Security
Companionship
Home & Family
Community acceptance
Sex

"Dr Adams concludes that this discrepancy cannot but lead to widespread dissatisfaction in marriage."

"Most couples have never considered if they are compatible from a need orientation. They conclude because they enjoy touching each, staring into each others eyes, bowling and making love they will have no problems with marriage."

So looking in to the mirror maybe this can help me and other to see what we need to really work on in our lives.
Posted By: HeartsBlessing Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 05/04/10 02:10 PM
Mr. Conway counseled a great many couples, OP, and based his book on large amounts of research/counseling sessions he did..PLUS his own MLC.

A very knowledgeable man. I enjoyed reading his book, and get something different out of it each time I've read it.

Knowledge is always power, and we can never gain enough knowledge. It, in turn, increases our understanding. smile

Have a good one. smile
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 05/05/10 02:10 PM
I finished the Conway book.

I will leave one more part of this for everyone's thoughts.
And I am paraphrasing this:

"Marriage Problems

1) Preoccupation with the process of living.
Raising kids, paying mortgage and accumulating things.
2) Lack of communication and intimacy.
The couple is not sharing the things that make them happy or causes them to be uneasy.
3) Unmet personal needs.
A man say I'm in love with you - What he really means is You meet my needs and make me happy.
People that have fallen out of love are really reporting that their needs are no longer being met. They are unable to verbalize to the other person that they have needs that are not being met. They simply say I don't love you anymore.
4) A lack of personal growth.
Old problems from adolescence.
Boredom with marriage."

There are many other good things from the book but I won't ruin it for those of you that have not read it.

Originally Posted By: HeartsBlessing
Knowledge is always power, and we can never gain enough knowledge. It, in turn, increases our understanding. smile
I continue my quest, on to the next book.
Posted By: Was2sad Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 05/06/10 07:00 PM
Titles that contain good relevant information are easy to get into and absorb. Your new library is filling up with stuff you never would have considered reading before. You had wisdom before. Now you're acquiring knowledge. You're becoming a better person. That is the purpose of coming here, and the reward.

What title is next?

Have you listed "Understanding the Mid-Life Crisis" by Peter O'Connor ? No longer in print. Sometimes on Amazon - used, or library for free. A very informative read.

Soon you'll need to add non-technical non-MLC stuff. Variety also makes us better people. smile

cool
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 05/06/10 07:50 PM
Thanks Was2,

It is something I am working on. I am still reading this book
"The Wisdom of Menopause" by Christine Northrup and I have a few other titles here but I have to decide whether I am going to read the books or find some other ones.
I am using the list from the resources as a basis to look for books. The library has become a good friend. I never really was a big reader so that is a huge 180 for me. I have to be VERY motivated to read a book but I have to say that the knowledge is well worth it.

Variety, you have a point there. It will have to be the right subject.
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 05/08/10 02:11 PM
My S22 finished his master's thesis defense yesterday. Its is in Math(topology).
So we are very proud parents now.
Will be attending his graduation in two weeks for undergraduate and master's degree at the same time.
A trip to Rochester.
He will be attending Dartmouth in the fall for his PHD.
It is in the same subject but as a Computer Scientist.

We have some of my cousins visiting for the weekend.
They are attending a fencing tournament at Vassar college.
Posted By: job Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 05/08/10 10:59 PM
Congratulations are in order for your son. I'm sure that you and your wife are very proud of him.

Happy Mother's Day to your wife, stepmother and mother.

Enjoy the weekend!
Posted By: WhatNow Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 05/09/10 10:23 PM
Hey OP!

Since you are so good about guiding me to wonderful reading homework assignments, i thought I would return the favor!

I usually read a number of books simultaneously, for variety, and to suit my mood at a given moment.

I think you may enjoy "Why is God Laughing" by Deepak Chopra. It is fiction with a message. Actually, I recommend it to everyone!
It is short, uncomplicated, and everyone gets something different from it.

More biblio-therapy:
If you are ready to branch out:
This is strange science fiction and old. Probably available through interlibrary loan..."the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever", by Stephen R Donaldson. I think the 1st is called "White Gold Wielder" b/c Thomas appears in this strange land wearing his white gold wedding ring which identifies him as "the one" to overcome evil Lord Foul. Like I said, Strange science fiction.
OP,

I'm a lurker who just wants to tell you how VERY much I appreciate your wisdom on the threads and links to all those WONDERFUL resources.

Thanks!

GAG
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 05/10/10 01:02 AM
What Now

Thanks for the book rec. I need to look for something else, I will check to see if our library has one of these.

GATTGirl

Thanks for the compliment. When I first started here I couldn't find the resources so I thought it would be a good idea for me to make it a little easier on the newbies.

I love MWD! But the forum mechanics here leaves a little bit to be desired.
OP,

Yes, the links make the materials SO much more accessible. I also really like seeing the titles of books people recommend. I have read many books recommended here, but the one that has had the biggest impact on me is "Intimacy and Desire" by David Schnarch. This was published last fall and to me seems more accessible than "Passionate Marriage" by the same author (just my personal preference). Moving forward after divorce I really needed a compass to guide me in how to become the best partner I can be in the future. This book gives a roadmap, including information about how to develop a healthy $exual relationship (the last 1/4 of the book). The author has been a $ex therapist for 30 yars, but I like the way he relies on true intimacy (honest sharing between partners), rather than on techniques, to form the basis of a healthy $exual relationship.

My $0.02.....and thanks again!

GAG
Posted By: Cadet Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 06/29/16 05:55 AM
Well it has been over 6 years since I last posted on this thread.
It has been over 7 since BD and I have been divorced for 4 and a half years.
My father passed away 2 and a half years ago and I have been dating for 2 years.

I just completed the three event trifecta with my ex.
Two graduations and a wedding.
I can safely say she is still deep in crisis and I see no signs that anything will ever change.
Her father passed away recently and she sold our house about three years ago and eventually moved to florida to be with him and her mother.
Still no signs of an OM and at this point I can only guess she is
relationship averse.

I guess we are at a point where we tolerate each other.
As I had more conversations with her in the past month than I have had with her
in 7 years.
She really has vanished in the relationship sense.
We only spoke about superficial things although she did say some crazy things
and spoke highly of my relatives.
She apparently misses them but realizes that when you get divorced you dont keep
your exes cousins.
Of course they were all nice to her which is more than I can say about her own relatives who did not want to show up because of some of the antics she and her mother displayed to them in the past couple of years.

I think that overall you can not under estimate the amount of TIME that a crisis can take.

I continue to move forward and am very happy in my new life.
I have lots going on and much to look forward to.

So glad this board helped me through some very difficult times.
And can only say that the GIFT of TIME that is bestowed on each newbie is very real.

Thanks to all that helped me along the way.
Posted By: RosaLinda Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 06/29/16 07:09 AM
Thanks for the loooong overdue update Cadet. Sorry to hear you lost your dad, but everything else sounds pretty positive! Including re-connecting with your ex, even if in a very superficial way. That's better than the frozen shoulder you'd experienced before, and I bet your kids are relieved.

Glad to hear you're happy and continuing to move forward. Thanks for all the help you've extended to all of us on the board. You (and the other moderators) give so much of yourselves. I'm truly grateful!

Thanks for the gift of time wink
Posted By: tadpole1025 Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 06/30/16 12:43 AM
Hi Cadet.

I just wanted to say thanks for the update and a big THANKS for all the help you have given me and so many others.

smile

Tad
Posted By: beatrice Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 06/30/16 04:25 AM
Cadet - a great update. Time and our personal growth are great gifts.

I would say my xh is still in crisis eleven years on - not as mean but certainly not OK.

This board saved my life!
Posted By: Sotto Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 06/30/16 10:05 AM
Cadet, it's great to hear how well you are doing, and a useful message about the potential length of the crisis.

I want to echo others in thanking you for your sterling efforts on the forum, which are very much appreciated.

My very best wishes to you xx
Posted By: bttrfly Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 06/30/16 06:28 PM
echoing the others posters ... ty for everything, Cadet. Your update is a beacon of hope that we can not only survive this devastation, but thrive. xoxoxoxo
Posted By: exquisitetobe Re: 1000 feet above the runway (ILS2) - 07/06/16 07:00 PM
I am surprised!! With all the resources you gave each and everyone of us, I thought you were part of the divorce busting crew.. You have entered the forum the same year as me. I am very happy to see how well you are doing! I do thank the board but I DEFINITELY WANT TO THANK YOU, you, you. All those links you provide everyone kept me sane when doubts haunted me. it is nice to hear from you Cadet !! smile
© DivorceBusting.com