Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: equalzr Equalzr 120mph w no seatbelts! Advise! pt IV - 10/24/18 09:16 PM
previous thread

Started a new thread.

I would like to comtinue the discussion that ended in part 3. There was some grrat dialogue beginning, and i think not only can it help me going forward, but others here as well. Im looking at growing as a man, father, husband (or for future R) and im doing research to help.

One thing i came across when looking up how to earn respect from your W was an article that said your W can actually lose respect for you if you become too domesticated and end up doing the majority of the inside the home chores. It went on to say that women are attracted to a man who strives for career success, and that helping out in the home should take a backseat to that.

Id love to hear others thoughts on this, especially some of the ladies on the board. I really hope Sandi sees this and chimes in, she has so much insight in this exact area.
Maika,

We didnt really butt heads over household chores too much. I think cooking was a main point of contention. I ended up cooking more(W initially did all the cooking), because i eventually became a SAHD. I see now how NGS took over and i was too quick to please the W. We may have butted heads over outdoor chores which W never relented and helped on. So that shows a lot right there. I definitely have always been the one changing and pleasing, the beta. Sadly, trying to please truly doesnt/didnt please. Also, i am definitely working on these skills...Leader, Alpha, Decisiveness, not Procrastinating, and most importantly for me Goals and a plan to achieve them.
So, this conversation somewhat came up a few hours ago in our MC session. The therapist basically said that the most important thing is obviously communication. That if both parents work full time, then the 'chores' should be split equally too. She said the problems often happen because each person has a different idea of what 50/50 is, and their expectations aren't necessarily realistic.

As an example, W said that she would often come home from work, and have to do x, y, and z in the house. And she resented that I either didn't do those things since I got home before her, or at least offer to help her when she did get home. But what W didn't always realize was that before she got home, I just got done mowing the grass for 2 hours or cleaning out the garage. Neither of us communicated effectively, and that was a big problem.

I think, and women here would certainly know better than me, that few women will get 'turned on' watching their husband vacuum or wash dishes. But by doing those things (not all the time, not being a servant, etc), she'll possibly be attracted to the husband in a different way. Maybe emotional? I don't know, but my W said something like that in our first or second MC session.
^That sounds familiar. My W never really acknowledged the work i did outside the house but would be quick to comment on what she could use help on.

Im going to write a book on M(seriously), and this subject is going in.
EQ & T - yeh, the problems are NGS, lack of communication and boundaries here, not the actual chores. I bet you no woman is getting turned on seeing her slob H mowing the lawn vs the same slob doing dishes. The issue is being a slob. A woman will get turned on whether the man is doing dishes, folding laundry, or whatever 'manly' chore if he's an alpha. Imagine doing the dishes without a shirt on cuz you shredded and loud music blasting in the back? Yehhh! No lady is looking at that and thinking about that man being domesticated. When I was more alpha, my W would often come and hug me from the back clearly signaling it was business time cuz she was turned on as hell. That my friends is what it's about - being decisive, confident, and crushing it in all parts of your life. I am not saying this as some ruh-ruh macho sense. I mean truly owning who you are and radiating that in everything you do. That's where it's at.
You make andamn good point Maika. That said, you mention "crushing it in all parts of your life" which points to some validity of women being more atttacted to a succesful man, and i guess that leaves it up to debate on how women feel about men who are very involved with household chores.

We need some ladies feedback! Sandi? Anyone?
FWIW...i always did all of the outside work and to her credit W would always say something like "the grass/yard looks nice". i would cook from time to time, vacuum, dishes...from every girl I dated, laundry was off limits. again to W's credit she would thank me. the ONLY time she ever stated what i was doing attracted her was like real manual labor outside, mowing the yard wasn't enough. don't feel like there was much more i could have done, but perhaps in her mind there was. i never felt beta like/domesticated/ngs/whatever...in fact i felt that was being very alpha, doing what the H needed to be done around the house....the rub i think really was more when i felt something needed to be done vs when she felt it needed to be done...just my .02
My 2 cents and experience is that it doesn't seem to be a alpha/beta thing vs expectation/appreciation thing. W would complain I wouldn't do my part or it wasn't 50/50. The problem was that my chores became expected and no longer apart of the 50/50 equation. I would tell my wife it could be 90/10 and I feel like it still wouldn't be good enough. Her side no matter the quantity was always weighed ridiculously heavy in her favor. The more I did the more it became expected.

To counter this I would work on us doing chores together, yardwork together, dishes together, cleaning together, laundry, etc. It has made things more even in her eyes this year. Not that it mattered because she is still Ding me.
Twofeet - did you ever have a conversation with her about what you were doing was becoming 'expected' and that you were not getting appreciation from her? Did you show her appreciation for what she was doing? And I mean not just deciding how you felt like appreciating her, but asking her how she would like to be appreciated for pulling her weight? If you didn't, it goes back to my point about communication and understanding expectations clearly. Otherwise both of you were engaging in covert contracts.

Ballast also brought a really good point - the expectation of getting something done from the perspective of both people. What was considered timely? For example, my W would consider doing dishes right after dinner as 'timely', where I saw doing it after putting kids to bed as 'timely'. So if I wouldn't get to it right after dinner, she would get annoyed at me. In turn I would get annoyed because she would just do it rather than let me do it before going to bed. I think this is a big piece that needs to be communicated and understood by both people.

EQ - I am not sure what you mean by 'successful'. Do you mean like making $$$$, or do you mean someone who is passionate, driven about their career, hobbies even if it's not making it $ rain? From my personal experience, I know that I lost my ambition and drive and that contributed to W losing respect, in addition to not taking care of myself and being too domesticated. But the field I am in compared to hers, I will never make the kinda money she does because of industry standards. She way outpaced me in $ earnings. But now I am way more driven and ambitious, which has made me confident and helped my self-esteem, and I know that it radiates outward. So if a woman wasn't into me because my paycheque wasn't as large, I don't want to be with that person either.

I know Sandi has amazing posts on this from a woman's perspective and hopefully she sees this and chimes in .
By success, i mean when the H has career driven goals and doesnt let anything get in the way of his achieving them. Im sure a large part of that would also be financial success as well. I dont think rising the ranks at McD's is going to turn many wives on???
By success, i mean when the H has career driven goals and doesnt let anything get in the way of his achieving them. Im sure a large part of that would also be financial success as well.

I 100% agree with you on that. It is about having the drive and having goals and not being deterred by failure because you know failure is part of success and continuously growing from it. I can just say that I will never get to the financial level as my W unless I change industries, but I can be hella successful in what I do.

I dont think rising the ranks at McD's is going to turn many wives on???

HAHAHAHAHAH! I almost fell outta my chair reading that. Good one EQ. Well you never know.. maybe doing a minimum wage job to stay afloat while hustling at something else gets mad respect from me. I care about the hustle and dedication. If McD is a pit stop to being a CFO, you go flip those burgers good.
Let me say this in another way - Are you ALL IN with what you do and who you are? Are you ALL IN doing it for YOU? If so, it doesn't matter what anyone else says. I know this is a slight deviation from the whole 'respect' discussion, but we constantly here talk about focusing on ourselves to grow. If you had that internal $hit figured out, you've already won. This is a hella painful way to learn that lesson, but we've all lost our way and our identities and the BD is a symptom of that. The only correction is not to undo the past or BD, but to reclaim ourselves. That is the way out.

LH19 has probably one of my most favorite tag lines here and it's from Will Smith - Don't chase people. Be yourself, do your thing and work hard. The right people - the ones who really belong in your life, will come to you. And stay.
So true Maika, that is an extremely painful way to learn that lesson...dont lose yourself in your MR, and keep focused on your goals and success. Im so guilty of that, and thats one of my WWs biggest issues. I tried to be #1 dad, a good husband, but forgot to be succesful in career goals...or in my case to even have them. Wish i had a do over.
It's okay EQ. Don't beat yourself up. One of the most important things I learned in this journey to have self-compassion and learn from the past. I can say that I was exactly similar to you. Excavate your past for the lessons and leave the emotions out of it - it's not easy but comes with time. Once you get there, it's like someone lit a fire inside of you. But self-compassion is equally important. I wrote this on another thread but the other thing I learned is be happy with who you are today. However you know you can do a little better tomorrow. So do that. Over time, these improvements will have an exponential gain.

You do have a chance for a do-over. Life isn't over yet man. Rich Roll overcame addiction and started his ultra endurance career in his 40s. It's only late when you're on your death bed and you look back with regret. I don't want to have any major regrets about what I wanted to do in life and who I wanted to be.
Originally Posted by Maika
Twofeet - did you ever have a conversation with her about what you were doing was becoming 'expected' and that you were not getting appreciation from her? Did you show her appreciation for what she was doing? And I mean not just deciding how you felt like appreciating her, but asking her how she would like to be appreciated for pulling her weight? If you didn't, it goes back to my point about communication and understanding expectations clearly. Otherwise both of you were engaging in covert contracts.

Ballast also brought a really good point - the expectation of getting something done from the perspective of both people. What was considered timely? For example, my W would consider doing dishes right after dinner as 'timely', where I saw doing it after putting kids to bed as 'timely'. So if I wouldn't get to it right after dinner, she would get annoyed at me. In turn I would get annoyed because she would just do it rather than let me do it before going to bed. I think this is a big piece that needs to be communicated and understood by both people.

Maika,

Yes I had many conversations with her, and her response was a mirror of mine. We both showed each other appreciation, but I think it was often not enough or in the wrong language ie our own LL. Which follows your last point about communication. I know I had covert contracts and it was likely she did as well. There were many other major factors that contributed to where we are at with her D me. However, one theme that keeps revolving in my head especially after IC pulls off blinders, is that we were two married idiots that didn't know how to properly communicate to each other.

Your point to Ballast was valid in my sitch. Timeliness was important to both of us and while communicated, it is obvious that it was communicated in a way we never understood that importance.
I was a stay at home mom for about 13 years, so I did everything in the house. That was o.k. at the time because he was gone long hours at work. And he has always taken care of the outside....mowing, trimming, etc. Then when I went back to work full time, H said he would cook 2 days a week. That lasted for about 3 weeks, and it was the same thing pretty much with different seasonings. He fizzled out. He promised to do it, then he didn't do it. That's what grated on my nerves. I don't think helping around the house is unmanly, in fact I would have appreciated at least the offer. It would have told me that he sees I am working hard so he wants to ease my burden out of love. That would have made me feel closer to him.

In more recent times, I felt closest to him when he just kept me company, sharing a glass a wine, and chatting about our day while i was cooking a meal. Those times were rare, and pretty much non-existent in the few months prior to moving out. Those little things that show they notice your burden, or just enjoy your company.

All in all it's all about communication, negotiation, and meeting expectations.
Originally Posted by Grace21
It would have told me that he sees I am working hard so he wants to ease my burden out of love. That would have made me feel closer to him.

In more recent times, I felt closest to him when he just kept me company, sharing a glass a wine, and chatting about our day while i was cooking a meal.

That's exactly what my W repeatedly asked of me. And I failed to deliver. You never realize that the little things end up being the big things...
Hi Equalzr, thanks for the invite to join the conversation. I've been pretty vocal about men being SAHD's; men coming home from their jobs and then doing all the work at home; and men who have the false idea that when the W is not happy in the MR, it's his clue to wear a Super Husband cape and do EVERYTHING for the little princess. The worst I've heard about is men who work fulltime, and the W does not work, and he does everything (grocery shopping, yard work, cook, clean, laundry......everything) while she is bored stiff b/c she has nothing to do. Then, he wonders why she doesn't respect him as a man and why they have a SSM.

We are speaking mainly in general terms about men losing their W's respect over him doing too much of the domestic work. However, it's difficult for me to not give specifics, b/c every stitch a bit a different. Clear communication and understanding one another's needs and/or expectations is crucial, and the earlier in the M, the better. In other words, when it's just the H & W (before babies come along), and also understand that with time, their situation will change, and that calls for them to be flexible...….or have a MR at risk.

I will be the first to tell men that women can be spoiled, just like a child. Spoiled women can develop expectations rather quickly, and they aren't very appreciative, as their list of demands may tend to grow. (Just for the record, men can be spoiled, too, but we're talking about the W). This affects her level of respect b/c the poor H is trying to appease, but he is actually catering to her by doing whatever she desires. There needs to be a clear line in what is considered chores, what is considered "helping" or "assistance", and what is volunteered. This is where things tend to get out of balance, b/c one of them will see this "activity" as a sign of love. That can lead to more discussion, but for now I'll try to keep it here by saying if the H is doing all the work and leaving nothing for his able bodied W, he is making a big mistake. This quickly places him in a subservient role, rather than being seen as head of the home/family. She begins to feel an entitlement......and superiority. It shows in how she interacts with him. When women have a H who is more than happy to oblige. I think she has to keep her attitude/spirit sweet, loving, and appreciative for everything he does......and the H has to keep her in check!

IMHO, the couple should decide which "chores" each will do. Depending on several things, such as if they both have careers, if they have children, if one is a stay-at-home parent, if one has any health issues, etc., etc. Of course, the ideal situation is where both are working together to take care of their family's needs. However, one spouse may feel they have more of the burden, and problems begin with resentment.

Maybe some couples can have a good MR where the W has a career and the H is a SAHD. I just have not seen any that were successful, b/c of similar reasons I stated previously. She loses attraction for him as a man, when this is a long term setup. Since being on the board, I've seen some young H's who said they thought by doing absolutely everything and not leaving any unfinished work for the W, it proved how much he loved her. Of course, these men had a huge case of NGS......and as a result, had even bigger rotten WW's. As the head of the home, I believe the man has to maintain this balance, and it's up to him to set things aright when his W's attitude shifts. Make sense?
Originally Posted by sandi2
I've seen some young H's who said they thought by doing absolutely everything and not leaving any unfinished work for the W, it proved how much he loved her. Of course, these men had a huge case of NGS......and as a result, had even bigger rotten WW's.

Bingo.

Taking out the trash is sexy if she does not have to ask.

Flipping burgers for another man will start a fight if he did not ask for the help.
Sandi,

Im definitely an example of being a sahd for too long. Looking back i dont think women are wired to solely carry the burden of providing for their family. It wore on my W after doing it for a number of years and then the resentment grew from there. That said, i dont think she ever appreciated all the years i paid the bills so she could he a sahm.

As for the housework, it sounds like your saying that the W will keep taking more and more if the H allows it? How are your views about the H chasing career success and that being a big attraction for the W? Is that more important to a W than helping out at home, or equal in your eyes?
To be fair, I hear about a lot of marriages that end in divorce because the wife is a sahm and the husband loses his attraction for her in part because she is so focused on the house and kids that she loses sight of herself as a person.

As for your question, equalzr, I would not like to be married to someone who chased career success to the point where he was not an active partner in our home life.

And going back to the conversation about chores and who does more, you should definitely take emotional labor into account. That's often not taken into account when couple's divide responsibilities, and it can lead to a lot of resentment.
Originally Posted by Rose888
To be fair, I hear about a lot of marriages that end in divorce because the wife is a sahm and the husband loses his attraction for her in part because she is so focused on the house and kids that she loses sight of herself as a person.

As for your question, equalzr, I would not like to be married to someone who chased career success to the point where he was not an active partner in our home life.

And going back to the conversation about chores and who does more, you should definitely take emotional labor into account. That's often not taken into account when couple's divide responsibilities, and it can lead to a lot of resentment.

Thanks for chiming in Rose!

I didnt really think about it from that angle of the sahm becoming too focused on the family and not herself. My guess is that either the W or H can become less attracted to their spouse if the spouse doesnt focus on themselves enough(physically, career, etc).

Would you be okay being married to someone who doesnt reach his career potential because he is laser focused on his family and loses focus of his career(still works steady)?

Im not sure what emotional labor is??? I dont think ive ever heard that term.
Originally Posted by equalzr

Thanks for chiming in Rose!

I didnt really think about it from that angle of the sahm becoming too focused on the family and not herself. My guess is that either the W or H can become less attracted to their spouse if the spouse doesnt focus on themselves enough(physically, career, etc).

Would you be okay being married to someone who doesnt reach his career potential because he is laser focused on his family and loses focus of his career(still works steady)?

Im not sure what emotional labor is??? I dont think ive ever heard that term.

Well, I have sacrificed some of my career potential to have the family life I want, so yes, I am more than ok being married to someone who also prioritizes family.

That said, if my husband had no ambition outside the home and family, I might find that less attractive. I've not been in that position, so I can't say for sure. Career ambition is not all or nothing. You can still set and achieve goals, even if your family is your priority.
And google emotional labor. :-)
And google emotional labor. :-)

I already did! Always ready to learn something new!
That nice balance between career and family - it's gonna look different for every couple and their particular contexts. Without completely open communication of what is needed, expected, and how appreciation works for both people, there will always be issues. Both parties have to come to the table and hash this out. And men can't be NGS. Thanks for pointing out emotional labor Rose. That's so huge.
On a side note, i retained a L. S**t definitely got real for me. I had to stop myself from breaking down on the way out of the office. This pain is a m.f.
I have not yet retained one, but I have seen a few to get a feel for my rights. Each time hurt. It is the right thing to do. I am not ready to retain yet. H is not pushing and neither am I. But yes, I expect it hurts like a mf. Every milestone on this road hurts like a mf.

Re your question about men and housework - It would have been nice if just once I came home and the dishwasher was emptied. That would have been sexy. Being a great dad is sexy.

In all seriousness. Marriage is a partnership and we all do our bit, whether that be bringing home the bread, or being the one to put that bread into the evening meal. For a long time I was the breadwinner (still am) and if he had wanted to be a SAHD I would have supported him.
Originally Posted by FlySolo
I have not yet retained one, but I have seen a few to get a feel for my rights. Each time hurt. It is the right thing to do. I am not ready to retain yet. H is not pushing and neither am I. But yes, I expect it hurts like a mf. Every milestone on this road hurts like a mf.

Re your question about men and housework - It would have been nice if just once I came home and the dishwasher was emptied. That would have been sexy. Being a great dad is sexy.

In all seriousness. Marriage is a partnership and we all do our bit, whether that be bringing home the bread, or being the one to put that bread into the evening meal. For a long time I was the breadwinner (still am) and if he had wanted to be a SAHD I would have supported him.

FS, i appreciate your mindset about sahp. I overheard my WW telling OM on the phone that she stopped doing everything in the house that she always had to do. I know its not true, and i shouldnt let it get to me, but it pi**ed me off. Why is it so hard for some people to see others contributions? Honestly, i did virtually all the laundry, dishes, ironing, yard work, ran S to all activities(he was in a lot), and worked a few days a week as well. W ended up being the bread winner, did nearly all the cooking up until a few years ago and did the grocery shopping. I will never understand why she couldnt communicate to me that she wanted our roles to change.
EQ - sounds a lot like my W and the situation. The best answers I came up with and I believe to be true for her behavior are: she is conflict avoidant; has high anxiety; people-pleaser; unable to communicate her needs. I also suffered similar things except high anxiety. Maybe your W has similar issues.
E,

If I have to read one more time how you did all the dishes and laundry I am going to scream. You are stuck my friend. Yes what happened wasn't fair, what happen [censored] but what are you doing to move forward? Just about everyone here was dealt the same hand. We are NEVER completely understand why this happened.

Stop trying to figure out if house work is a turn on, IT ISN'T. Not one person here got D'd because they didn't clean the toilets. It's so much more than that. Most of us just didn't understand what a healthy relationship looks like. House hold chores are a microcosm of it.

Ask yourself why you are holding on to someone who is so blatantly disrespecting you. She isn't even trying to hide her affair.

Dude you are young and have your entire life ahead of you. Read Maika's threads and see what he is doing to better himself.

Feeling sorry for yourself stops today!
Thank you for the 2x4 LH!

Ive released my W. Do i still love her? Yes. But the W i knew is gone. Im going through Maika's threads today!
Originally Posted by Maika
EQ - sounds a lot like my W and the situation. The best answers I came up with and I believe to be true for her behavior are: she is conflict avoidant; has high anxiety; people-pleaser; unable to communicate her needs. I also suffered similar things except high anxiety. Maybe your W has similar issues.

Yup. Not even funny how accurate.
... I overheard my WW telling OM on the phone...
This sounds very disrespectful to you as well as your marriage.

Why are you tolerating this? Set some boundaries. Need help with this, ask.
Originally Posted by Ready2Change
... I overheard my WW telling OM on the phone...
This sounds very disrespectful to you as well as your marriage.

Why are you tolerating this? Set some boundaries. Need help with this, ask.

R2M, im always up for advice, 2x4, etc. I set boundaries and W chose divorce. Not sure where to go after this, as I'm focusing on myself because the MR is DEAD.

I realize WW has taken disrespect to a new level. Im going all tough love and not taking or listening to her b.s. anymore thats directed towards me.
Read the boundaries thread again.
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2815739#Post2815739

It is about YOU choosing how YOU will react to other peoples behavior.

When you talk to your boyfriend while we are still married, (or in my presence, or our home or bla bla bla...
I feel disrespected, or bla bla bla

I want
you to.....GO SOMEPLACE ELSE (or whatever you want)

If you continue that behavior, I will confront your behavior, share my feelings, and insist that you do that somewhere else.

If you keep repeating
this behavior I will start considering all of my options, including leaving this relationship.

Just a quick draft as an example.....
Read the boundaries thread again.
http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2815739#Post2815739

It is about YOU choosing how YOU will react to other peoples behavior.

When you talk to your boyfriend while we are still married, (or in my presence, or our home or bla bla bla...
I feel disrespected, or bla bla bla

I want
you to.....GO SOMEPLACE ELSE (or whatever you want)

If you continue that behavior, I will confront your behavior, share my feelings, and insist that you do that somewhere else.

If you keep repeating
this behavior I will start considering all of my options, including leaving this relationship.

Just a quick draft as an example.....

I feel like most of those options are exhausted since she filed for D and is trying to fast track it. I dont pursue, there isnt much convo between the 2 of us anymore, and WW considers our M over even though we arent D yet. I guess that helps her sleep better at night?

I will read that boundaries thread again though and see what i can still use. Biggest thing for me is applying tough love right now. I have had a bad case of NGS, and my WW has been bullying her way to this D. Im done getting walked all over.
Why is it so hard for some people to see others contributions? Honestly, i did virtually all the laundry, dishes, ironing, yard work, ran S to all activities(he was in a lot), and worked a few days a week as well.

Honestly, because this is the stuff that happens in the background, like white noise. It only gets noticed when it isn't done. These were my responsibilities apart from the yard work. .

I use to cook dinner every night for us. I love cooking. When H started working odd hours I started cooking only when I knew he'd be home (i'd have toast or a sandwich otherwise). He never said thank you, I would end up doing all the washing (cooking from scratch creates a lot of dishes). Sometimes he'd be home all day and when I came in the house would be in a state, there would be breakfast dishes piled up and still no dinner. In my head he'd sat on his a*** waiting for me to come home tidy, cook, clean and put the kids to bed. The last thing I wanted to do was cook for him. So I started buying pre-prepared meals and we would put one in the oven each when we were hungry. Sometimes we ate together, sometimes we ate at different times. The resentment grew. We both fed it.

Now here's the rub ...

What I didn't see was during the day when i thought he was sitting on his a*** because the dishes weren't done - he had mowed the lawn, or sorted through the garage, or de-weeded the driveway or sorted through our paperwork. Like my role of cooking, and washing, and ironing etc the stuff he did to contribute was white noise as well.

Don't get me wrong. He did a fair bit of sitting on his a***. But we all do that sometimes.
FS, thanks for your input. I really see how important communication is in any R now. I think people get so worn out that they can't see past themselves and what they have on their plate. I'm really researching and asking questions because i want to be better for all my R's in the future.
My WW informed me today that this means "war" because i retained a L. Says she was being nice before this.
Water of of duck's back buddy, water of of a duck's back...
My WW informed me today that this means "war"

What is she, like 5 years old?

Ignore her. Don't take the bait.

Just carry on doing you.
Originally Posted by FlySolo
My WW informed me today that this means "war"

What is she, like 5 years old?

Ignore her. Don't take the bait.

Just carry on doing you.

I just told her to grow up. I mean really? Shes asking for a D, initiating a custody battle, and trying to bleed me dry. What does she expect?

Thank you all for the support, it means so much.
hang in there. You're doing fine {hugs}
I just told her to grow up. I mean really? Shes asking for a D, initiating a custody battle, and trying to bleed me dry. What does she expect?

She expects you to role over like a puppy dog.

Would you put stats in your signature? Helps us who have not followed closely

Your age and gender
Spouses age
number of kids, ages
date of bomb drop
date A confirmed
Is OP still in the picture
Current sleeping arrangements
etc

R2C,

I added info. Hope it shows up.

She expects you to role over like a puppy dog.

Exactly. As long as everything goes her way its fine....if not, its war. Ridiculous.

Good news is, im done. Im over her.

Thanks. Signature helps.

... Shes asking for a D, initiating a custody battle, and trying to bleed me dry. ..

Sounds familiar.

How have you protected yourself? IE cancelling all joint cc and phone accounts etc....
Do everything you can to not enable the A.

Have you made a list of goals and prioritized them? Short term, medium term, long term?

I ask this because there may be more urgent things to address.

Thanks. Signature helps.

... Shes asking for a D, initiating a custody battle, and trying to bleed me dry. ..

Sounds familiar.

How have you protected yourself? IE cancelling all joint cc and phone accounts etc....
Do everything you can to not enable the A.

Have you made a list of goals and prioritized them? Short term, medium term, long term?

I ask this because there may be more urgent things to address.

Yes im trying, but my head is spinning there is soooo much to do. Im trying to find a new place, going through a D, looking for a different job, and much more. I think all the accounts are separated, and WW was the breadwinner so hopefully that part wont be a concern. Investments, retirement, etc may be a different case. L will have to walk me through that.

As for goals, im definitely making a personal list. Some are long term, and some are short term, but im still working on all of them now. I refuse to not come out of this a better man, that would be a tragedy.
equalzr - it's good that you say you are done and over her. I recently came to the same conclusion about my W. Just focusing on the kids now.
Im definitely an example of being a sahd for too long. Looking back i dont think women are wired to solely carry the burden of providing for their family. It wore on my W after doing it for a number of years and then the resentment grew from there. That said, i dont think she ever appreciated all the years i paid the bills so she could he a sahm.

I believe she is "capable" of providing, b/c we have too many single moms who have proven it. She can be the head of the home, just fine. However,...…..and this is a big however...….whenever there is a husband/father that lives with the family, then she expects certain things from him. She expects him to take charge and be the leader. She may be a modern career lady, but we women expect husbands to act like men, and if they don't, we'll throw it back in your face.....one way or another. No matter how modern or independent a woman may be, she inherited certain female genes that go all the way back to Eve. She expects the man to protect her and her children. She expects the man to get out of the house and work at something that will bring home some money. If we were cavemen, or pioneers, she'd want you to go kill the meat and bring home for the family. Not that she wasn't capable, but b/c of the woman being the one who was pregnant and nursing the babies, the man had to do the harder, bigger, more dangerous tasks to provide food for the family. Her role wasn't easy, but it was basically running the home and raising the children. The man was responsible for his family and how well they lived. Although modern times have changed a lot, there are things about men and women that may never change, b/c that's how they were designed.

Taking care of the family should be a married man's priority. If you are a farmer, she expects you to hit the fields and tend to the animals everyday. She may be out there, too, but you are certainly going to be out there doing everything in your power to provide for the family. I think the key is that the man is outside of the house doing what men are suppose to do......he is attempting to provide for his family. I see SAHD's having the same problems as men who work on the computer from home, or are involved in obtaining a degree, or something that keeps them from working outside the house. They are attached to the house, and that's how the woman begins to see him. Especially if the woman has a job. She starts expecting more and more from him (regarding housework, etc.), b/c that's her domain and she still wants to control the operations. Although it's said that the home is a man's castle, it is the woman who traditionally takes care of it. Of course, there is "man's work" to be done, but who does he ask what color to paint the kitchen?

Have you ever heard the old saying how two women can't live in the same house? What that means is that the house belongs to just one woman. That woman is the queen of that domain, and she's rather jealous of it. That is her domain, and no other woman is going to take it over as though it was her house. Now, the woman who owns the house, may go to work while the other woman stays at the house. The other woman may cook, clean, etc. But if that other woman starts making decisions as though it was her own house, look out. There's going to be trouble. The woman who owns the house will find something that she's not completely pleased about, and she may complain that the other woman isn't getting everything done, or doing it "right", etc. It begins to wear on the relationship. I don't know how much this fits psychologically with the H staying at home fulltime.....or if it does. If he has taken the traditional female role of homemaker, while the W provides for the family, then maybe she mentally sees him in her domain and who isn't doing enough to please her. She's going to come home, inspect what has been done and she'll never be completely satisfied, b/c that's her domain........and, b/c things feel out of order to her. By out of order, I mean the roles.

She will probably never tell you, so I will. She wants her H to be emotionally/mentally stronger than her. Another thing she won't tell you is that she will test him throughout their relationship to see if he is stronger. If she sees weakness, she will resent it, and at the same time feel that she must step up b/c her H is too weak. In the process, she loses respect. Usually, this comes in small doses and happens over a period of time.

If she has a strong personality, she may get vocal with putdowns, and if they argue or fight, there's a good chance she will make some point directed at his manhood. Not in all cases, but you can bet she's thinking it. The problem with a soft hearted, tender natured guy is that she is going to take his b@lls away. If he has NGS, he will tell himself that he just needs to do more to make her happy...…...only, he does the wrong things. He dives into the housework, does everything with the kids (feed, bathe, dress, homework, take to school, etc.) She may sound like she's never satisfied with the amount he does...….and that is partly true. She's not satisfied b/c he doesn't reclaim his b@lls and act like the man she desires. You see, no amount of housework is going to replace what she needs from him emotionally. Don't confuse her saying she needs support to only mean she needs help around the house. She may not know how to tell you that she needs you to grow a pair and take the role of the man. I think it would be very rare for a W to see her H being the homemaker and raising the kids while she financially provides, and feel as if he is sexually dominant.

I also want to break this down into situations. Let's say you have a man with a fulltime job, and his W has a fulltime job, too. She is going to expect him to help with chores at home. If they have children, she going to expect even more help with them. Now, I am using the word "help", but actually, it's only right that he takes on his share of work around the house...….if she has to work to help him support the family. See what I mean? Not all women want a career but they are forced to work in order to make ends meet. You also have to consider the type of work, the hours and energy, etc. I remember working at a physically hard job for about a year. I took it b/c the hours were compatible to the time my small children were in school. The problem was that my H was dead tired when he came home, and I was exhausted. However, I felt that I was expected to do everything I would have done if I didn't have to leave the house for a job. He laid on the couch and watched tv while I took care of everything else. I would have a pity party while I cooked supper every night, and I resented him for not doing more, b/c I did not have enough physical stamina. See what I mean? If I had been a SAHM, then I would have thought nothing of it when he came home so tired from his job, and I would have done whatever was needed that evening without feeling resentful. Let me defend my H by going back and telling you that he did do what was considered man's work, take care of the yard, the car, and he would help with the kids. But that particular year was very challenging for us...….and we both changed jobs! Communicate! My H and I did not communicate well.

As for the housework, it sounds like your saying that the W will keep taking more and more if the H allows it?

This is mostly directed to men who are either staying in the house, or those nice guys who try to do it all, in order to appease his W. If both spouses hold down fulltime jobs, then there needs to be clear communication on who does what when they are home. The big mistake men make is holding down a fulltime job, while his wife sits at home doing NOTHING. He comes home and does EVERYTHING, b/c she's literally done nothing. He either spoils her, or he has allowed this laziness since they got M. Then, he has real problems! And, if it's a situation where the man is home fulltime, then he can just look for his W to get more bossy. There are a few women who are the exception, but from what I have witnessed IRL and observed on the board, it is often a manifestation of a deeper issue between the couple.

How are your views about the H chasing career success and that being a big attraction for the W? Is that more important to a W than helping out at home, or equal in your eyes?

I'm not certain what you mean by "chasing". Having a successful career is wonderful, as long as the man is giving his W and kids what they need emotionally from him. If he's gone all the time, then that's not going to be good for his MR. If he is always jumping from one career to another.....and usually in the middle.....that's not good, either. We have had some men on the board who were staying home while working to obtain their master's degree, or something along those lines. They faced the same issues as SAHD's.

Women are attracted to men with ambition. They are attracted to successful men. In our world, success usually equals financial security. Financial security is very attractive to women, b/c one of our basic needs is security. If we have a H, we are going to look to him to bring it. It's our nature. Even if we work, we still expect him to work, too. There are some exceptions like physical disability, etc., but I'm talking about in general terms. Another thing that attracts women in men is power (in a good way, not evil way). Successful career men usually indicate that they have a certain amount of power......which draws a certain amount of respect. A wife wants her H to be respected in their community. Does a successfully financial secure man have to go home and help the W with housework? Well, he might be able to hire someone, IDK. But I would say that she's still going to want him to engage with his kids, and help out (depending if she works or not) with stuff around the house......if needed. No matter how successful he becomes, she will always need him to fill her intimate/emotional needs. She will always need him to act like a man, first, in order to respect him as her H. If I had to say which is more important to a woman.....her H having a job or him helping at home, I'd choose the job. I've experienced my H not having a job, and let me tell you, he could have been on his knees waxing my floors every day and it would not make up for him choosing not to work to provide for our family. If he's out of work, then hit the streets and find something, b/c these kids are hungry and the light bill is about to be turned off. Am I answering your question? Majority wise, I don't think it is a matter of the H choosing if he's going to take the traditional role of taking care of the home while his W makes the living. I think in most cases the man is working, and when all the kids are in school......both spouses usually work out of the home. Therefore, at the end of the day, chores have to be divided. And, oddly enough, men seem to have a vision problem. They can't just look and tell what needs to be done in the house, so the W has to point it out to him. But would I say that that's the most important thing to a woman? Absolutely not.

One thing I have learned that I wished I had known much earlier, is that men usually relate making a good living with his role as a husband & father. Some men will often get so focused on providing a better living, that he thinks this is how he shows his family love. He thinks he's done his part, so he goes home and passes out on the couch. When his M is in trouble, he doesn't understand and will talk about how hard he worked to give his family the best. Yes, he was giving them essential things they needed, and nice material things, vacations, etc. But he was not tending to their emotional needs. Having an attitude that his part was only making a good living...….will burry his relationship with his W, and usually the kids. He has to know how to balance his work and his time/energy with his family. In a MR, he has to tend to W's emotional needs, b/c no high career is going to take care of "everything". Know what I mean?

I know I go all around grandma's house to answer questions, and tend to get off into other areas. I just want to sum this post up by saying I believe God placed the most responsibility on the man. He is responsible for the welfare of his family. Perhaps it is a matter of opinion as to what that includes or how it is accomplished. I do believe our society has made the lines more confusing for men than they were in yesteryear. I think it is actually tougher for men now, b/c they aren't sure what they are suppose to do...…….especially when it comes to having a relationship with women.

((hugs))
Sandi,

Thanks for dropping the knowledge!

Women are attracted to men with ambition. They are attracted to successful men. In our world, success usually equals financial security. Financial security is very attractive to women, b/c one of our basic needs is security. If we have a H, we are going to look to him to bring it. It's our nature. Even if we work, we still expect him to work, too. There are some exceptions like physical disability, etc., but I'm talking about in general terms. Another thing that attracts women in men is power (in a good way, not evil way). Successful career men usually indicate that they have a certain amount of power..

This is pretty much what i was questioning. Ambition seems to be a very big deal from what i am learning lately. My guess is that a lot of men with ambition will find success and that is obviously attractive to a woman. Pretty much everyone would loce financial security.
Update:

So i just found out my WW filed some sort of order that asks for primary custody. Not only that she wants child support...nevermind the fact she makes more than double my salary. The KICKER? She claims she is afraid for her safety. Yep, she went there folks. My mind is blown.

I have never once given her any reason to fear for her safety. As a matter of fact, she got in my face pointing her finger in my face and said "im not afraid of you". This was a month or two ago, and i still remained calm. Shes been trying to bait me, and since im not biting, shes just making s*it up now.
E,

It's laughable. Her lawyer is giving her bad advice to draw out the proceeding so he can make his money. Nowadays the court likes to see 50/50 for custody and the money part is just a calculation. This is probably going to take awhile but in the end you will more then likely get what you are entitled too.
All I can say is 'wow'. Yeah, my SIL is doing that to her H. It's a shame, but I doubt anyone (except her lawyer) will buy into it
Im just floored. Wow.

Just keep protecting yourself.

#1) Always control your emotions. Stay calm.
#2) Record your interactions with your phone.
#3) Document everything. Like kavanough did....

Has she ever called the police before? If not, good evidence for you...
Update:

So i just found out my WW filed some sort of order that asks for primary custody. Not only that she wants child support...nevermind the fact she makes more than double my salary. The KICKER? She claims she is afraid for her safety. Yep, she went there folks. My mind is blown.

I have never once given her any reason to fear for her safety. As a matter of fact, she got in my face pointing her finger in my face and said "im not afraid of you". This was a month or two ago, and i still remained calm. Shes been trying to bait me, and since im not biting, shes just making s*it up now.

I sympathise for you as my W has also made out she fears for her safety too and I think it is because she wants sole custody. I read her statement about things I was supposed to have done and it was just full of lies.

Just keep protecting yourself.

#1) Always control your emotions. Stay calm.
#2) Record your interactions with your phone.
#3) Document everything. Like kavanough did....

Has she ever called the police before? If not, good evidence for you...

I actually said i would call the police last week if she didnt let me leave the bedroom. She wanted to argue and i told her im not goong to do it, we can talk when emotions arent high. She wasnt having it. She tried to block the door off so i couldnt leave the room.

Now i have to document everything, past and present.
Stay strong E. Cool, calm collected. You are a DBuster. You can do it man!

You may be speaking with the police or other professionals. Get legal advise ASAP.

I am sure you will need to discuss your emotions with your lawyer. Do not keep any details from him.

When I talk to my children, These are the words I use "It is OK to be angry. It is not OK to use physical violence."

I like to use the word "Frustrated" when I talk. It is a few levels down from angry.
It sure is a different ball game when your done and just want your spouse to go away. These last few days have been stressful. Just know that im doing the right things and also taking care of my son who really needs me at the moment. Im really worried about him, so im doing everything i can and stay in prayer for him as well.
This has been the worst week of my life. W lied and said ive been harassing her and a bunch more things. Ill leave the details there, but her stooping this low hurts, especially when shes the one yelling and cursing at me all the time. Didnt realize there were no limits to her lies.

I was forced to tell my S part of what happened that day, and the pain and anger i saw on his face broke me. Hes very angry at his mom for lying and he kmows the truth. I dont really know what to say to him at this point. Im just trying to be there for him. Through all of this, i just told my L that i want them to get family therapy. I want them to have a healthy R, and they need each other in their lives. I just want it over with, cant take the pain and anger any longer. Im broken.

I know how you feel equalzr. My W has told a whole load of lies about me too and turned the kids against me. Just got to try and not let it get to you, hard I know.
Unfortunately this time it involved the courts. So its a big deal. L said W is crazy and needs therapy. People are starting to question her mental health, and i think she just might be spiteful, vindictive, etc. Not sure what to think anymore.
Be the lighthouse for your S. Let L handle the legal staff. You need to be strong and let your anger go into a healthier energy. Detach and go dark. Be there only for your S, dont´get into any kind of talk with W. Stay out of trouble.

Keep strong E!
Small update:

Because my W lied to the police, my S doesnt want to talk to her at all. He blocked her from his phone. Its hurting me bad to see him hurting, and to see their R where its at. When he told me about him blocking his mom from his phone, i just listened and didnt judge him for it or tell him it was right or wrong.

Im not quite sure what to do with that one. I dont want to force him to unvlock her, but he should be available to her somehow. W and i cant have any contact either. Advice?

W and i cant have any contact either. Advice?

How in the world are you two able to co-parent? Can you text? Email? You should be able to discuss parenting issues. Do you have a parenting coordinator?

W and i cant have any contact either. Advice?

How in the world are you two able to co-parent? Can you text? Email? You should be able to discuss parenting issues. Do you have a parenting coordinator?

This just happened. We cant coparent until L's straighten this mess out. My S is missing some school this week, and ive missed a weeks worth of work. I told my L i just want it done as quickly and peacefully as possible. Im really only concerned about my S happiness right now.
I think a child needs access to both parents but as you said you don't want to force him. But as I am on the other side where my kids have blocked me it's not nice at all.
Just wait till Ls figure out the legal staff Eq. Your S needs both of you. He is in pain now. Be there for him. Try to ease his mind. His anger is unsderstandable.

You need to be calm man, you need a clear mind and the proper rest.

You’ll need to bring S and W closer eventually. Be prepared to face that instance.

Stay strong man, it’s a difficult time. Keep being the lighthouse Eq.
If you don't have a lawyer, I suggest it's time to get one.
Update:

Well, judge just awarded split placement of our S temporarily. Im really worried as they have an explosive R. Just weird how she told him 2 weeks ago he cant live there after they had an blowout, and now shes fighting for placement. S isnt happy.

Im hurting right now about not seeing my S every day in the future, and also worried about his safety and well being when hes in that house.
Update:

The D is finally done with. Im very relieved to be done with her. It has been a long road and there are still some issues to clear up(she has kept my belongings and says she doesnt have them, my lawyer isnt a help at all).

I lost any feelings i ever had for after some of the worst things she did. She crossed lines with my son and my mother that just should never have been crossed. If there was a boundary or line that shouldnt be crossed, she would consistantly trample that line.

Im still trying to figure out how to get my belongings at this point.

I'll have a larger update in the future.
Onwards and upwards equalizr.
You've had a difficult journey, you will get your "belongings" eventually, but hey do they mean that much. Think about everything else you've got now including freedom.......
Peace
Originally Posted by dunnm
Onwards and upwards equalizr.
You've had a difficult journey, you will get your "belongings" eventually, but hey do they mean that much. Think about everything else you've got now including freedom.......
Peace

In the grand scheme they don't, but she pretty much has EVERYTHING of mine. Most importantly, she has a few important family heirlooms that are neither cheap, or replaceable. I would like those back. She's essentially stealing her own child's inheritance.

You are right, once i let go, i felt free. That was the best feeling ive had in a long long time.
© DivorceBusting.com