Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: SH_ Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 04/29/16 07:05 PM
I was challenged by my D17 to identify 3 things that I am grateful for when I get up in the morning, and when I lay down to sleep. She told me this will help me keep focused on what I have, and feel more joy.

This has become an important daily routine to fight the depression and anxiety that I experience due to my situation.

I wanted to start a thread, in hopes that others in these forums may find it helpful to share what they are thankful for. My hope is that as we share it will provide strength in the times that we may feel all is lost.

Please join me in sharing what you are grateful for today.

"It is impossible to feel grateful and depressed in the same moment." Naomi Williams
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 04/29/16 07:06 PM
Three things I am grateful for this evening as I sit here alone.

I am thankful for all of those on these forums that lend support to others, to share idea's and advice that has helped them through.

I am thankful, that we have a place to share our sadness, anger, fear, and emotional turmoil, with out being judged here on these forums.

I am thankful to know that there is a higher power in each of us, that will help us move through these challenging time if we put in the work, and learn from our errors, so we may be a better person, parent, and future partner.
Posted By: vise82 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 04/29/16 07:36 PM
Ill give it a try,

I am thankful for two boys that look up to me with love in there hearts

I am thankful for my great job that allows me the means to roof and feed said two boys

I am thankful also for this forum as i would not like to see where I would be right now if I was not led here in one of my darkest times.
Posted By: Ralph88 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 04/29/16 07:39 PM
Three things (although there are many) that I am thankful for tonight.

1. This forum and the people on it. I have been blessed with this community, the advice, similar situations, and sometimes just a virtual shoulder to lean on.

2. My children. They have been my guardians through some of my most challenging times. I see love in them that is unconditional and pure. They have given me light in some of my darkest hours.

3. God and the life I was given. There were days when I felt I was symbolically perishing, but God has kept it at bay and given me the strength to desire to live symbolically.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 04/29/16 09:12 PM
Three things ungrateful for tonight:

1- I am grateful to still have two parents who love and support me, and who have been the main reason that I am still standing After my world came crashing down. They caught me.

2- I'm grateful for the supportive community that I have found here on this board.

3- I'm grateful that every single day the natural world offers me something wondrous to see and appreciate, if I only take the time to pay attention. Today even that silly robin pounding on my window all morning was a gift.
Posted By: roist Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 04/30/16 12:26 AM
Wow for a 17 year old to know about this stuff be grateful for her
Posted By: roist Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 04/30/16 01:03 AM
You can develope this much further. I talked a bit about gratitude recently on my thread, but there is a mine of info on the net and you tube.

I only came across this dealing with my own situation recently and would not have expected a teenager to be aware of it.

Best wishes and thanks for sharing this with the community
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 04/30/16 07:06 AM
My d17 is a very special young lady, and I am so blessed to have had her sent to my family from God.

I am having a very difficult morning as the anxious/sad mind vacuum has grabbed a hold of me, so I am in need of focus on the things I am grateful for.

1. My D17, is without a doubt an angel sent to me so many years ago, so that I had the opportunity to raise and care for her. She has struggled with many challenges in her short life, but has matured and grown in wisdom beyond her years. And at this time the sweet spirit that she has, provides me with strength to get through these difficult moments. The smile of my d5 grants me joy, and the hug of my young baby girl grants me a renewed determination each time I hold her.

2. My parents raised me with love and the best knowledge that they could provide. In this difficult time for my family they have provided me with support and encouragement to carry on and care for my baby girls. They also help me remember that I still love my WAW and in spite of the pain being caused I mus thold onto the love and be strong to forgive her and myself for what is happening. For this I am ever grateful.

3. I am thankful for the the opportunity to humble myself and pray for strength, peace, forgiveness, and guidance to be a better man, father, and husband. I have made a great many mistakes in my life, but the knowledge that those mistakes do not define me. I can learn and make better decisions as I move forward on this path. I have learned the need to work hard every day to have love in my heart, forgiveness in my soul, and a desire to not simply to survive this challenge, but to thrive as I live day by day.

These are the things I am grateful for this morning and pray that they give me strength to over come this shadow of darkness this morning, that has filled my mind with.

I love my family, this I know.
Posted By: CWOL Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 04/30/16 09:19 AM
Here are mine:

1. I am grateful for my eleven year old son. We have shared so much joy together as he grows up to be a strong, confident young man.

2. I am grateful for my parents who sacrificed a lot in order to provide me a great education.

3. I am grateful for my education which allowed me to have a good career and provide a comfortable lifestyle to my family.
Posted By: WSB Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 04/30/16 09:48 AM
3 things I am grateful for

1. My 12 yr old Son, his toughness and determination are an inspiration to me

2. My D situation. Despite the pain and despair it has caused it has given me the opportunity for introspection and reflection a real chance to better myself and I plan on taking advantage of that.

3. My growing faith. During the M and for many years before I drifted from my faith. I began praying and attending church again. It has brought me some comfort and sense of belonging during these turbulent times.
Posted By: Painter Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 04/30/16 02:10 PM
1. My son, who has taken me into his home and is taking care of me with unconditional love, without any hesitation or questions or second thoughts.

2. DivorceBusting - for giving me the tools to make this harrowing experience into an opportunity for personal growth.

3. Every day, I'm always grateful for hot, running water. It's very basic, but it starts my day with an attitude of gratitude.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 04/30/16 07:20 PM
Today's gratitude journal:

1- I am grateful to have my little flocks of chickens and my farm cats. They keep me amused with their antics all the time.

2- I am grateful for the beautiful green of spring.

3 - I am grateful for wonderful neighbors, those who stop in to see if I'm OK and those who simply wave whenever I see them. It's nice to be welcome.
Posted By: Sotto Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/01/16 12:16 AM
This is a great little thread! I have a little notebook at home and use that to note down things I'm grateful for.

Today, I'm grateful for the spring leaves appearing on trees

For my Mum & Dad - I'm blessed to have them still here in their 80s and in the same town as me

My two lungs, which are still working well after all these years (I know a non-smoking lady who had lung cancer and one lung removed.)

Xx
Posted By: DDJ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/01/16 01:58 AM
I am grateful for the strength that God has given me to face my fears everyday. I will not be ravaged by this, I will succeed.

I am thankful for this forum and everyone on it, for without them, my WW and my family would still be going through the motions and never see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I am thankful for the small things I love about my WW, the way her nose scrunges when she smiles, her overly loud laugh and that sparkle in her eyes that I can never let go of, even if I have to let go of her.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/01/16 07:21 AM
This morning I am grateful for,

My youngest brother who has been there (although he lives far away) to support me, let me share my tears of sadness, rants of frustration, and desperate pleas for peace for my family. He is a rock and a comfort for me.

My close friend from childhood. Even though he is living his own challenges, he takes the time to chat with me, and or get together and let me get it all out.

The hope that I feel in my heart. Although I have times of doubt, when I can connect with the hope and faith in God, I do feel some peace and strength that I can endure this and have a good future still.
Posted By: Ripe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/01/16 08:46 AM
Today I am grateful for:

- My kids, who are my little love;

- This forum, for the help it has given me without wanting something in return;

- For the place I am today, during this long weekend.
Posted By: sandi2 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/01/16 10:55 AM
Know what else is good for the soul? Laughter! I mean the doubled-over, rib-holding, tear-streaming, belly laughs.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/01/16 11:05 AM
Yes sandi!
I agree. I am looking forward to the opportunity as a good laugh is what I need. Laughter has been a bit scarce for me these days.

My goal today is to create an opportunity for this as I spend time with my d17.
Posted By: BluWave Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/02/16 12:48 PM
Hi SadHub,

I am not caught up on your sitch, but I wanted to stop by and say hello! I like your style & insight into others' sitches and I hope you are as kind to yourself. That what I like about reading (and now posting here), it helps me remember to take my own advice!

Sounds like you have a smart girl! So here are 3 things I am grateful for today (wow, only 3 is tough).

1. My D17--who just graduated HS and moved home last week!
2. All of you & this awesome community.
3. I am surrounded by love--family, friends, beautiful kids, a stable job, and the amazing community with the best multicultural cuisine.

I totally cheated! Ha!
-Blu
Posted By: J5K Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/02/16 12:55 PM
Things that I am grateful for:

1. My 5 boys and the unconditional love they give me.
2. The support from the wonderful and compassionate people on this forum.
3. My close friends who continue to listen to my issues and help me get through these trying times.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/02/16 01:16 PM
Thanks Blu for the feedback. It is a confidence booster today.
And I love that you "cheated". The more things that we can thankful for the better we will feel.

So I need to list a few today as it has been a bit of a tough one for me.

1. I am thankful that I will get the next 2 days with d5. This was the longest stretch of not seeing her and I miss her terribly. Tonight will be a good night.
2. I am thankful for a job that I can do that provides the income needed to care for my daughters.
3. I am thankful for the many kind people both here in my community and on this forum that share concern for me and my family.

I am thankful to be alive this day to go through the trials that I am going through and the knowledge that I can choose to be stronger for it.
Posted By: Melo Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/02/16 03:29 PM
Great thread idea.
I am thankful for my children's health.
I am thankful for my health and my W's health.
I am thankful for my job
I am thankful that my W chose to seperate from me because I was truly not in a good place and not the man I wanted to be
I am thankful that I chose God to help me through this and not alcohol
I am thankful for this online community without which I would have destroyed my M and myself a long time ago
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/02/16 05:16 PM
Tonight's gratitude list:

1 - I am grateful for pencil smile jokes.

2- I am grateful for the roof over my head. It's been rainy and cold the last couple days, and I've spent enough days in cold rain outdoors to appreciate that being somewhere warm and dry has distinct advantages.

3 - I am grateful for the people who have started buying fresh eggs from my little roadside honor box. I'm proud of my birds, and glad that people value humane treatment of animals by supporting small scale flocks like mine. It's almost silly how happy I get whenever I need to restock the box.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/03/16 09:09 PM
Today I am thankful for d17. She is so strong in spite of the chaos that our family is experiencing. She provides genuine support, words of wisdom and an innocent childlike demeanor with her little sister. I noticed today that D5 gets lost in the chaos, but d17 always noticed and ensures to engage her and have fun.

I am grateful for my youngest brother. While he makes the trek from Alaska to Florida for a change in jobs, he continues to check in on me and share support.

I am thankful to my closest friend who has been there for me since we were teenagers. He has been there to share words of advice, lend an ear, and sometimes kick my butt and ensure I stay on track and focused.

And I say it each time, but the support, kindness, advice, and genuine concern from folks on this forum has been huge in getting me through some tough days. It is crazy to think strangers from many corners of this planet going through some very challenging times, would spend the time to reach out and offer words of kindness and peace. For this I am truly grateful each day that I have been here. Thank you to each of you.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/03/16 09:44 PM
Today,

- I am grateful for my mom, who has been there for me so many times in the last few months.

-I am grateful that I have a place to sleep that's not my actual house. This silly little commute I do gives me an excuse to spend time with my parents every single day, either over breakfast or some evening activity, rather than isolate myself. Isolation was my initial instinct when H left, and I think I might have really crashed had I continued on that path.

- I am grateful for the times when I can forget about my whole M and just enjoy the moment.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/06/16 01:15 PM
As I lie here not feeling well, I caught a sick bug, I wanted to share some gratitude.

I am thankful for my health. It is rare that I get sick and so when I don't feel well I like to give thanks for being healthy.

I am thankful for my parents. The support and sacrifices they have made for me over the years. As my mother begins her fight with breast cancer, I share thanks for all that she has done for me.

I am thankful for my d's. They both share unconditional love and have been so strong through the challenges of the past few months. They give me strength to keep pushing on and I love them both dearly.
Posted By: BluWave Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/06/16 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: SadHub
As I lie here not feeling well, I caught a sick bug, I wanted to share some gratitude.

I am thankful for my health. It is rare that I get sick and so when I don't feel well I like to give thanks for being healthy.

I am thankful for my parents. The support and sacrifices they have made for me over the years. As my mother begins her fight with breast cancer, I share thanks for all that she has done for me.

I am thankful for my d's. They both share unconditional love and have been so strong through the challenges of the past few months. They give me strength to keep pushing on and I love them both dearly.

I love this! Such wise words!!!
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/06/16 06:59 PM
Lovely, SadHub.

Tonight:

-I am grateful for my wonderful, goofy chickens and the food they give me. They have kept me in high quality protein since my world fell down, and I'd be in much worse shape without their silly antics and their beautiful eggs. Scrambled, Fried, boiled, egg salad, pickled... they are a gift every single day.

- I am grateful that I found my grief counselor. She has given me so much of herself and her time, and her assurances that I am not broken and that I really am doing a lot to help myself do help.

- I am grateful for this group and the wonderful people here whose kind words help keep me afloat on my hardest days.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/08/16 07:28 AM
On this Mothers Day.....

I am truly greatful to the wonderful woman that brought me into this world and raised me with all of the love, care and wisdom that she could provide. Her example of endurance and commitment have shaped much of who and what I am today.

I am thankful for the love of my mother that she has provided to me unconditionally no matter the decisions and actions that I have taken in life. She provided me the space to make mistakes. She provided the space for me to come to her and ask for forgiveness when I needed to. She provided me the wisdom that a mothers intuition can create. She provides me with inspiration through the actions she takes in difficult times.

I am grateful that my mother showed me the importance of a MR, and endured challenging times, because as she said, a H and W will have difficult times, but they must endure through communication, actions of love and most importantly forgiveness.

I could go on and on for the things I am grateful for from my Mother, but I want to ask God that he watch over her at this time as she embarks on a battle with cancer. I pray that I may have more time to see her and experience time in her presence. I pray that she can remain with my dear father that she has enjoyed so many years with.
I accept Gods will, but pray that he may provide me some peace and not have to go through more pain at this time. Enduring the falling apart of my family and this type of loss may be more than I can endure at one time.

But I do want to accept Gods will, as his knowledge of the path I am to follow and learn from is greater than mine. I just ask for the strength to take the steps forward.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/09/16 09:24 PM
Today:

- I am grateful for scarlet tanangers, the beautiful red sparks in the forest.

-I am grateful for the generations of people who have built and maintained trails so that people like me have the opportunity to walk in peaceful places and immerse ourselves in the beauty of the natural world.

- I am grateful for friendship.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/10/16 05:08 AM
This morning I am grateful for,

Having had a good nights rest. It was a peaceful sleep and I awoke just before my alarm and was calm.

For the opportunity to go jogging this morning. The ability to do physical exercise is beneficial for the health of my body and mind.

For the strength of my D17. She has been courageous in these difficult times. She is vulnerable, but allows me to be there and help her. She is there providing encouragement and ideas in the moments that I am down. She is a blessing to me and my family.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/14/16 02:12 PM
I need to share some gratitude because I have had a good day.

I am so thankful for the example that d17 has set throughout this challenging family ordeal. She has pushed through and stayed focus forward. She has endured her challenges all while picking herself up and then looking to provide service to others.

I am thankful for the opportunity to pray. It has given me strength and hope. Prayers are also being answered as my d's are remaining strong in this time. My mother has gone through the first stages of treatment for cancer and the prognosis is promising, my brother has experienced great success in his new endeavors and I have had strength and calm to move forward in the face of adversity.

I am thankful to God, for my belief in him and the comfort that I receive when I stop blaming him, and start trusting that he will help me forward on the path that I am to follow.
Posted By: Vanilla Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/14/16 02:42 PM
I am grateful Sadhub is here on the board.

I am grateful heating about his day.

I am grateful to learn about his D17.

V
Posted By: PsySara Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/14/16 05:09 PM
Great to read about your happiness and gratitude, SadHub. If it weren't for my kids I would've lost the plot a long time ago, lol. My children are very young but provide endless and unconditional love, they are my bright lights.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/14/16 06:23 PM
-I am grateful for my father, and all the help he has given me with my many, many projects. Today he taught me how to troubleshoot a non-starting small engine, one of the many skills that I need to add to my repertoire.

-I am grateful that I can share my hopes and pain here as I journal, and that there are so many caring and supportive people here who understand what I am going through.

-I am grateful for my feline friends. They offer me distraction and affection in equal measure.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/15/16 09:43 PM
Another day another list of gratitude

-I am grateful for the beautiful flowers in the spring woodlands, with their wonderful names: bloodroot, Soloman's seal, squirrel corn, Dutchman's breeches, painted trillium, spring beauty, purple wake-robin, trout lily, Jack-in-the-pulpit, Mayapple... all lovely and dear.

- I am grateful that my hands are steadier than they have been in months.

- I am grateful for my mother. Every day she makes me laugh.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/21/16 01:16 AM
It has been a good week.

I am thankful that I have 2 wonderful daughters that bring me such joy. They provide me with opportunities to serve, love, cherish, smile and feel the most intense joy a father can have through the most simple acts and time together.

I am thankful I could watch my d17 graduate this week. While I would have desired much different circumstances, for my family, it was a joyous occasion that I was able to spend with both of my daughters. The pride and happiness I saw in my d17 was simply amazing.

I am thankful to God that my mother has recovered quickly from surgery just over 1 week ago. I pray that the news to come is positive and may require minimal non intrusive treatment that can restore her to a clean bill of health.

I thank God for guiding me to the tools, resources and people that have aided me in these challenging times for my family.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/26/16 04:23 AM
I am trying to find some emotions now, so I need to dig in and share some gratitude.

My mothers diagnosis for cancer continues to come back positive. I am thankful to God for answering my prayers, and I continue to pray as she takes the next step for treatment.

I am extremely thankful for my daughters. They have been the light in the dark mist that I have wandered through these past many months.

I am grateful for the good times and memories of times from my 19 years of marriage to my W. While the memories seem to be fading or seem to be re writing themselves in my mind, I know that I love her and desire to meet her again. She was always kind and loving to me and I recall not being worthy of her love on so many occasions. I am thankful that I can still feel this love for her. I only hope that it does not fade away, as it feels to be doing with each passing day.

I encourage all who read this to stop and be grateful for those things that get lost in the chaos of our lives and current situations. It will provide peace and comfort and strength to our souls.
Posted By: PsySara Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/26/16 04:40 AM
It's ok if you are numb, don't try to dig too hard. You have had a LOT of major life changes lately, both good and terrible, and you are probably overloaded emotionally. The mind has some sophisticated defense mechanisms to protect itself when things become too intense.

Don't force yourself to feel positive or negative things towards your WAW, if you are feeling nothing, it's okay. When your mind has decided you are less overwhelmed the emotions will flow again. Right now I wish I could borrow a little numbness, lol. I am doing poorly with detachment and the emotions are up and down by the hour.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/29/16 08:36 PM
I'm falling down on the job on this front. Today:

- I am grateful to have a therapist that genuinely cares about me. He asked me to call him with an update today. I ended up leaving him a voicemail that said I was doing fine and that he didn't need to call me. I'd see him Tuesday. Well. He called me anyway just to be sure. Very nice.

-I'm grateful for new friends.

-I am grateful that I found SH, thew SparrowHawk SuperHero on these forums and that he has been there for me when I need support the most.

SH, after watching the Shawn Achor talk, I see why you started this thread. Time to get back not he gratitude wagon my friend. smile
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/29/16 09:40 PM
Yes Phoebe you are right. I need to keep this thread alive.
I have an app on my phone to remind me to jot down 3 things I am grateful for, so I am doing it, but folks here need to do it. It is a key action for happiness and healing.

Today I am extremely grateful for the weekend I am having with my daughters. It has been awesome. I have never felt such joy and peace as I do hanging out with them. They have been happy and fun and just awesome.

I am thankful for my brother. He lives very far away, but checks in on me daily. Provides encouragement and support. He has been a rock for me.

I am thankful for the support of so many in this community. Phoebe who has been there from the beginning. She drops a good 2x4 when it is needed, then she shares a genuine caring support always. And she is so playful and fun in sharing different things about herself in spite of the challenges she faces now.
Vanilla, has also been there for me since the beginning. Her wisdom is unmatched for me as she has guided me through many of the stages that LBS go through. She has been a light in the fog for me.
There is CWOL, 1gr8dad, jimkao, bigybiz all facing their own journeys yet drop words of encouragement and thoughts to help get me through.
And SadSara, who has been here a short time, but has a tremendous challenge that she has taken on like a BOSS! She shares spunk and the white anger for me in those situations that my WAW is behaving poorly towards my d17.
There are many others that I am grateful for as the support has been life saving for me.
Thank you for your support and wisdom in my journey through this challenge for my family.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/30/16 08:30 PM
Hey SparrowHawk! Today:

- I am grateful that I still can laugh. Saturday when I was on the phone with my therapist and having one of my hyperventilating/sobbing things, I told him about something that happened,, and I just started laughing through the tears.

-I am grateful for books. Books have always been a big part of my life and I have found so much solace in their pages. Right now that solace comes from fiction and being able to escape reality, if only for a little while.

- I am grateful that the world is full of people that I don't know yet. There is unlimited potential for friendship out there.
Posted By: coffee_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/30/16 08:57 PM
I really like this you two, I had a friend tell me the same thing.

Today I am grateful for an able body to ride my mountain bike. also grateful for the mountains and trails to ride it on.

I am greatfull for the people that God has connected me with during this time of crisis.

I am grateful for my ability to cook good food and make others smile when they eat it.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 05/31/16 11:44 PM
Love the bit about the mountains, coffee! I miss them.

-I am grateful for the incredibly talented musicians I heard this evening. They were amazing.

-I am grateful for the beautiful scent of lilacs on a cool evening breeze.

-I am grateful for the presence of so many incredible wild creatures on my farm, like the 'barking' gray fox I heard and then saw tonight just after midnight. It was beautiful .
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/11/16 10:09 PM
All right DB community.
Here is the challenge!

Let's get this thread to 100, by everyone that reads this to share at least 3 things they are thankful for.
This is a practice that many successful persons do. Morning and night.
It is refreshing to the mind, it puts out good energy to the universe, and it helps us remember the small things that can bring joy in the midst of the chaos that may surround us.

So what say you?

Will you take the challenge and share what you are grateful for this day?

I am grateful for the blessing of health that my mother has received this week. She has had several surgeries and treatments for cervical and breast cancer. She has endured the challenge and as of this day is in good spirits and recovering as hop d for by her doctors.

I am grateful for friendship. Friendship with many persons that have come up and helped me in my time of need these past months as my world has been turned upside down. People I knew and people that I am just getting to know. All supportive in the way that they can be, all have lifted my spirits in their own unique way. The folks on these forums that I call friends. Many I will only know by a screen name. Others I hope to cross paths with some day so I can shake their hand or hug them and thank them for real advice and the genuine concern they shared with me.

I am grateful for my daughters. I say it over and over in my posts, but they are angels sent to me by God and they are what drives me forward each day. I take strength from their smiles and their unconditional love for me. I strive to be worthy to be called their father each day and pray that I have the strength, wisdom and endurance to always be the best I can be for them.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/13/16 08:04 PM
Today I am grateful for,

The time that I get with my D5. She is such a joy to be with, and always so cheerful. I will do everything in my power to maintain a life that she can be happy and cheerful in. I will not let anything nor anyone take that from her.

I am thankful for my job. It is not the job of my dreams, but it is one that has created a financial stability for me and my family. I work with good people, and it has provided many opportunities for me.

I am thankful for my health. The opportunity to get out and about and feel good. I enjoy jogging and working out as it makes me feel alive.

I am thankful to God, for the challenges and opportunities that are placed before me each day so that I may learn, grow and progress in this life.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/13/16 08:56 PM
I'm sorry I didn't rise to your challenge yesterday, SH. I started adding to this thread and then just couldn't come up with much gratitude. It was a difficult day. Here I am, though, ready to put out some positive energy again.

So today:

-I am grateful for my therapist. He provides a much-appreciated counterbalance to the less sensitive men in my life (those that Painter has threatened to slap!). Today he told me something very simple, yet something I needed to hear: "Pheobe, you are a good person."

-I am grateful that I can walk in my fields at twilight and in the dark and feel completely comfortable and safe and peaceful. I find great solace in my land.

-I am grateful for tea. "Tea's a good drink. It'll keep you going." -Annie Proulx
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/14/16 05:29 AM
-Support of my friends and family at this time
-My beautiful, sweet kids
-I have the opportunity now to think about my life and make some lasting changes
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/14/16 08:25 PM
Back again to share more gratitude. Today:

- I am grateful for my parents who have been there for me in so many ways over the last 6 months. More than anyone else, they have helped me stay afloat.

- I am grateful for the ability to appreciate the beauty I see all around me every single day on my farm. From the flowers in the fields, to the trees swaying in the wind, to the birds swooping overhead, there is so much to see and love here.

-I am grateful for the good night's sleep that I got last night - without any meds! smile
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/15/16 04:36 PM
-the music of the Cure
-pineapple gummy bears
-playful dogs at my mom's house
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/15/16 09:50 PM
Good friends
Smart, lovely daughters
The ability to learn, grow, and keep on trying.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/15/16 09:54 PM
Love the pineapple gummy bears gratitude!! Awesome.

Today I am grateful that I had the chance to help a family of grackle nestlings. It was a fun act of service.

-I am grateful that I am fit enough to keep up with my bicycling friend, even after a year without any biking whatsoever.

- I an grateful that I share this beautiful world with fireflies. They are as close to magic as anything I know.
Posted By: roist Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/16/16 12:31 AM
I personally have just been doing this mentally. On the net some say that us OK, others insist that you need to write your lists to be effective.

What are yer thoughts on this? Have any of ye noticed a difference since writing them compared to thinking them?

I know from journaling, that thinking it and writing it here are v different and writing helps more.

Thanks for this thread Sage Homme ( french for wise man)
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/16/16 05:38 AM
roist
IMHO, gratitude whether written or thought does not matter.
It is what is in the heart.
Written has its place.
Thoughts have their place.
It is the sincere feeling of gratitude that is the key.

When I do it in thought, it is between me and God.
When I write it or say it aloud, it is to share the blessings and good sensation with my fellow man.

In short, be grateful, have gratitude in your heart, and success and the blessings will be more visible in our lives.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/16/16 05:40 AM
Thankful for

The opportunity to run and feel the exhilaration that the body experiences.

The job I am headed to that provides for my family.

The opportunity to make mistakes, learn from them, try again and grow.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/16/16 09:57 PM
Thankful for answered prayers as mother continues to recover successfully from cancer treatments.

Thankful for being able to work with some good people.

Thankful for the opportunity to pray and share more thanks and request blessing for those that can benefit.
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/17/16 12:53 AM
-Kitten puzzles
-Snow cones
-Laser guns
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/17/16 08:00 PM
qt4x11, your lists just make me smile. Kitten puzzles and snow cones? Just awesome!

-I am grateful for my father who helps me whoever I get s piece of equipment stuck at my place. Yup, I had to be towed out today. : )

-I am grateful for the amusement that my flick of chickens gives me every single day. Today I sat down on the ground to enjoy a bit of shade on a hot day and eat a little found, and I was immediately surrounded by nosy birds. It's like having a little avian fan club. Of course they just wanted my food, but it was still funny.

-I am grateful for the wildlife on my farm. Songbirds and skunks, bats and foxes, squirrels and eagles. There is so much life here, and every day it reminds me that my life will go on, too.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/17/16 08:02 PM
Sadly, I am not grateful for the autocorrect on this site! The result is a "typo to gibberish" translator!!! wink
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/19/16 05:06 AM
I on the other hand am thankful for the autocorrect on this site.
It makes for some funny reading of Phoebe's posts. LOL laugh

My daughters
Their unconditional love
The pure joy I experience while spending time with them.

My parents
Their unconditional love
The support they have provided me in my life.

My little brother
His unconditional love
His constant encouragement and support through good times and bad

That I found this community.
The genuine support provided by those that are here.
The advice and words of wisdom from those that are living the challenge that I am going through.

The opportunity to be thankful today.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/19/16 05:10 AM
I am thankful for the opportunity that God has given me to be a father of the two little angels that he has sent to me to care for.

Happy Fathers day to all the fathers out there that are fighting to save their MR and families.

To those that are blessed to have the family unit still in tact.

Especially to those fathers that are doing it on their own , and never giving up on the important an God given privilege to be a Father.

May all fathers have a fine day as they are celebrated this day.
Posted By: Vanilla Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/19/16 05:47 AM
Happy fathers day to a brilliant dad

V
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/19/16 08:10 AM
Thanks SH same to you
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/20/16 08:46 PM
- I am grateful for the thunderstorms that are finally bringing us a bit of much-needed rain.

- I am grateful that every few days some anonymous person buys a dozen or two of my chickens' finest eggs. It makes me strangely happy, and not because I get a few dollars to help with chicken feed. I just like the idea that some people out there care about where their food comes from and like the life they see my birds living.

-I am grateful that I can still feel gratitude!
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/21/16 02:15 AM
-latest Game of Thrones episode
-I actually like this couch that I'm sleeping on these days, it's comfortable in its own way
-listening to youtube videos to fall asleep
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/22/16 08:52 PM
Found out today that my mother is cancer free. Wonderful news and very needed by me at this time.

My 2 daughters. I receive so much joy from their presence and unconditional love.

My health. To be able to excercise and feel strong physically has helped me survive some emotional challenges.
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/23/16 06:25 AM
-my son's Pokemon obsession
-my daughter is now reading long novels. when did that happen?
-my mother in law is a terrific person
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/23/16 08:43 PM
-I am grateful that my friend invited me to go ice skating a few weeks ago. I really enjoy skating and I have enjoyed meeting the other Golden Skaters. I think they like having some new blood in the group, too, even if I'm underage. smile

- I am grateful for my Mom. She has really been an incredible source of humor, support, and companionship for a long time, but she has been particularly so since BD.

*****speaking if mothers, SH I am so glad to hear your news about your own mother! That is wonderful. *****

-I am grateful that I am able to fall asleep every night without any sleep aids. I still have some issues actually staying asleep, but getting there in the first place feels like a huge victory.
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/24/16 10:16 AM
-Dunkin Donuts blueberry donut/croissants
-Hanging out with one of my best buds tonight
-I get the house to myself for the next couple weeks
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/26/16 08:41 PM
I am grateful for peanut butter ice cream. smile

I am grateful that I still have my tractor to do the heavy lifting for me. It's in H's name and has an ugly monthly payment, so I don't know how long it will be with me, but I'm glad to have it right now.

I am grateful for the huge old tree in my yard. It's shade provides such beautiful shade to sit in on even the hottest days.
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/27/16 09:52 AM
-reading a good book on coping with D right now that's been very helpful
-been frequenting 12 step phone meetings and talked to some new people from the west coast the other day that were nice
-Game of Thrones finale
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/27/16 08:57 PM
My daughters
My employment
My health
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/28/16 11:22 AM
-something me and my friends were talking about over txt message yesterday made me laugh so much, it was the first time I laughed so much in many weeks
-Japanese meatballs at this health food restaurant I go to
-I'll be seeing my kids pretty soon and going on a nice vacation with them
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/28/16 08:52 PM
- I am grateful that I have found a couple new friends.

-I am grateful for my health.

-I am grateful for good neighbors.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/29/16 05:45 AM
Grateful for the quality time with my daughters yesterday. Swimming at the pool, playing candy land and d5 winning every time, dinner and movie together. Lovely evening.

Grateful for my close friend and father speaking with me yesterday. About nothing in particular, but just good old fashion male bonding conversations about life and the pursuit of happiness.

Grateful for the things I am going through as it has forced me to not only think but also take action on things that will create a more purposeful journey in life with growth and joy along the way.
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 06/29/16 06:07 AM
-meeting went well at work yesterday
-I'm glad I had some alone time the past few days, I really needed it to think about stuff
-I can tell my wife's attitude towards me is softening up a little
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/01/16 10:35 PM
I am grateful that I have doctors that genuinely care about me. Their support has been very important and it is good to know that it is genuine.

I am grateful to have seen a gray fox kit in my yard tonight, and that its mother has not harmed any of my chickens to keep it fed!

I am grateful that my pets are all mostly-healthy and living full lives.
Posted By: JksD Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/02/16 01:25 AM
Grateful for a working car that has lasted longer than my M and will probably last another decade.

Would prefer that my M lasted longer than my car but hey, I am not complaining about having one fewer kick in the butt.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/02/16 04:56 AM
Grateful to have a week away from work where I can get things in order, have some fun with d17 and relaxation bit.

For my health. I have regained a few of the pounds from my depression diet, amid exercising daily and feeling stronger each day.

For the good feelings and hope I am feeling each day. I have felt good, positive and look forward to a bright future of late. Lots of work to do, but I am in a very positive place mentally and it feels good.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/02/16 09:37 PM
Swimming pools to hang out with my daughters.

Indoor pirate themed mini golf to play with my daughters.

Candy land game to play with my daughters.

The Pixar movie The Incredibles to watch with my daughters.
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/03/16 06:28 PM
I am grateful for all of the Pixar movies!! I love them all, and the Incredibles is a favorite. smile

I am grateful that I have someone to can peaches with - my Mom! It's always more fun when you do it with another person.

I am grateful for the wonderful people here in this community that are willing to hit me with the occasional 2x4. Thank you all.
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/05/16 10:55 AM
-doctors and nurses who saved my life last weekend
-finally get to drink liquids again after four days
-pain meds
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/05/16 10:34 PM
I am grateful for new friends who can point out my flaws, but in a manner that makes me laugh and feel safe.

I am grateful for air conditioning on a hot humid day.

I am grateful for Ben and Jerry's. : )
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/05/16 10:46 PM
Friends to spend Independence day with
D17 to go do a bunch of crazy activities with all week.
Hope. Lots of hope that is rebuilding dreams in my heart and mind for my future.

Keep your heart open to dreams, for as long as there's a dream, there is hope. And as long as there is hope, there is joy in living. The key to happiness is having dreams. The key to success is making your dreams come true! -Anonymous
Posted By: Vanilla Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/06/16 12:46 AM
I am grateful that my health is improving

That my family loves me

That the white van will be fixed soon

V
Posted By: Ripe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/06/16 06:45 AM
I am grateful for my two sons, the love of my life.

I am grateful for the way they are growing up and the way they start to express themselves in individual ways.

I am grateful for all the opportunities to travel we have.
Posted By: champJ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/06/16 07:35 AM
I am grateful that I got to play basketball with my son and go swimming with my daughter yesterday.
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/07/16 07:47 AM
-they let me out of the hospital yesterday and I'm back home
-going to see my kids again soon
-drinking decent coffee again
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/08/16 11:35 AM
-walking around the house with less pain today
-started really journaling to get to the bottom of what it is I want to do with my life as a response to the D, grateful to have the time during my physical recovery to really sit down and think about this
-kids and wife visited yesterday, a lot of emotions around that
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/08/16 09:11 PM
I am grateful that there is something to laugh about every single day, even if it only myself.

I am grateful for the friendships that I have, both new and old.

I am grateful for my flock of chickens, whose eggs feed me almost every day.
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/08/16 09:33 PM
I am grateful for the wonderful week that I have had with friends and D17.

I am grateful for the opportunity to participate in activities such as an escape room, paintball and indoor skydiving with d17.

I am grateful that d5 makes her mother allow her to call me and text her sister to stay in communication with us. She misses us, in spite of having fun with her mother and grandparents.
Posted By: betterm Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/08/16 10:24 PM
I don't know how I've missed this thread... I keep a gratitude journal next to my bed that I try to write in daily... why not share?

I am grateful for my disappointments, my adversary, and my sadness... for without them, I could never know what really matter the most to me.
Posted By: betterm Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/08/16 10:25 PM
Originally Posted By: betterm
I don't know how I've missed this thread... I keep a gratitude journal next to my bed that I try to write in daily... why not share?

I am grateful for my disappointments, my adversities, and my sadness... for without them, I could never know what really matter the most to me.

fixed typo
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/09/16 09:12 AM
-Dannon blueberry fruit at the bottom yogurt
-Macaroni and cheese with bacon
-Monster pink lemonade energy drink
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/10/16 03:35 PM
-music of the Shins
-less abdominal pain and cramps today, recovering nicely
-glad my family's back from vacation (so they can take care of me!)
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/11/16 07:06 AM
-back at work today (working from home), hope that it will keep my mind occupied
-glad for all the love from my mom
-less pain today, even able to sleep on my side for the first time
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/12/16 09:13 AM
-good coffee with heavy whipping cream
-view from the porch at my parents house
-somewhere out there my friend is thinking about me
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/13/16 09:21 PM
Grateful that d17 is finding ways to get through her anxiety attacks on her own and confidently.

Grateful that I will see d5 in 2 more days.

Grateful for my health and the opportunity to work out daily and the positive affects it is having on my mental well being.
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/14/16 10:27 AM
-Korean bbq
-Cute dogs at my mom's house
-My work now knows about my recent emergency surgery and they're being understanding about it
Posted By: Phoebe Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/14/16 01:26 PM
I am grateful for friends, new and old, and the support they have given me.

I am grateful for laughter and the chance to share it with others.

I am grateful for the opportunity to spend an evening with other people who are hurting and healing, just as I am, and that we all can feel safe enough to share and support each other.
Posted By: qt4x11 Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/15/16 01:24 PM
-saw my kids again today, took them to the park
-thankful I have the day off from work as I'm still not ready to deal with work
-my brother's over maybe we'll watch a movie together tonight
Posted By: SH_ Re: Gratitude-Medicine for the soul - 07/15/16 04:56 PM
Gratitude Journal- Medicine for the soul 2
© DivorceBusting.com