Divorcebusting.com
Hello folks. Some of you may remember I created a post a little while ago confessing that I used to be a cheater, and inviting you to ask me questions if you were ready to hear the cold, hard facts about your cheating spouses. Many of you were very kind to me and I appreciate it, and I tried to help those who posted on my thread.

But this post is about a bit of hope....

In the past 5 years I have researched so much literature and so many message boards, to educate myself about relationships. What makes them work? What makes them fail? What causes infidelity? All that good stuff and more. I did this research because I wanted to make sure that I never repeated the mistakes I made in my marriage, and I wanted to understand how I had gotten so far off track.

One of the most fascinating bits of info came from John Gray, in his book Mars and Venus on a Date.

In this book he describes the "stages" of dating, and how if these stages are not followed correctly and in order, the relationship will usually fail. I will try to make this post as brief as possible, so I will not go into details about the stages here, but instead will just try to recap the entire concept here.

Basically he says that a relationship must move along *slowly* and must only progress in relation to the *true* intimacy that builds over time. A relationship that goes full speed ahead with ILY's and "lets get married or move in together" in a short period of time, is usually doomed to fail.

He also says that many men get confused in the early stages of dating and can quickly fall "in love", but in reality, they are doing what he calls "blowtorching". When this happens to a man, he can feel like he has found love at first sight and proclaim to everyone he knows that he has found his soulmate...only to turn on a dime and completely lose those lovin' feelings within a matter of moments, never to have those feelings return. Dr. Gray explains that this happens because the man jumped the gun and wasn't really in love, but was actually blowtorching, and because the man had boxed himself into a corner by proclaiming to the woman that he had found his soulmate, his only recourse now is to break up with her and disappear, so as to lessen the pain for her now that he is sheepishly realizing he barely knew this woman for only a few short months.

Women do this all the time too, so the book did not adress it so much. Women are typically guilty of feeling as if they are falling in love at the first signs of attraction. But Dr. Gray's point is that men do this too, only they will bolt the scene once they wake up from their "attraction fog", whereas women will try and try and try and try and try to stick it out and get those lovin' feelings back.

Dr. Gray also goes into the dynamics of attraction between the genders, and how if a man is steadily pursuing a relationship with a woman, and the woman is gently pacing him so as not to get too far out ahead in front of himself...this relationship will tend to last. However, if a woman is pursuing a man, typically the man will lose interest after a short period of time. Apparently the male/female dynamics of pursuit and attraction are so deeply part of our nature that this plays itself out over and over.

After doing a lot of personal research and then coming across this book, so many lightbulbs went off. I could see the examples in his book happening in relationships all around me, and within my own.

Now...here is where I am going with this....

Let's take an affair. How do they start? Well they start on the sly, with a sleazy undertone, and in hush hush dark corners. Is this the foundation for a healthy relationship? NO.

How does the pursuit go? Well, maybe in an affair where the man is pursuing the woman, the affair may go on for a while. But if it is the opposite and a woman is pursuing a man, the affair/relationship is typically doomed, as the man will quickly lose interest.

Even if the affair does go on for a while....what about all the ILY's and "I think you're my soulmate" that is said within the first month of the affair?.....THIS is evidence that the "relationship" is doomed, folks. Please trust me here. Any two people who claim to have found their soulmates within a month or ILY's or anything of that sort is DOOMED. This is called a "false sense of intimacy".

Generally, relationships are hard to make work out right. It takes several ingredients in the proper order to work:

1. It takes two people who are emotionally available and ready for a relationship. If one or both of these people is married, how can they be emotionally available and ready for a relationship?

2. It takes the passage of time with regular, healthy dating. If one or both of these people is married, how can what time they sneak off to see each other be considered regular, healthy dating? For it to be healthy dating, it MUST be above board and not be hiding and sneaking, not stolen moments and weird cryptic texts.

3. It takes both people being totally honest with themselves about why they are here and what they are gaining from the relationship. Can a married person who is having an affair truly know why he or she is there and what they are gaining? Usually a married person having an affair is just using it as escapism so that they will not have to deal directly with their current marital problems.

4. Both people need to be moved on COMPLETELY and healed from all previous relationships. People who are married and having an affair are obviously not moved on or healed from their current marriages! LOL!

So when you think about it, is there really any affair relationship that can pass any of the tests above? No, not really. And this is why they are doomed to fail.

Now, having said this, it doesn't mean you SHOULD wait it out. It doesn't mean you SHOULD still want your spouse after an affair (many people don't want their spouse back and who can blame them). But it also doesn't mean that the people having the affair actually know or understand the above dynamics.

Single people get swept away by silly emotions and "blowtorching" just as often as people who are having affairs, and the relationships never work out for them either! So it is a universal thing, folks....a relationship that starts out on the sly between two unhealed, unavailable people, and which quickly moves from zero to ILY in a matter of weeks....is DOOMED.

Now, what I hope to have you realize here is that if your spouse is having an affair, the affair is doomed. Not that this makes it any easier to tolerate what is going on, nor should you even try to tolerate it. Just that, I know so many of you have heard your spouse say "I met my soulmate" or "I couldn't help myself, OM/OW has something that I need that completes me" or some other rubbish. This is rubbish when it comes from a single person, too, if it is being said within the first few weeks.

And the other thing here is that even if an A has been going on for several months, the amount of actual *dating* time spent between the two adulterous partners is more along the lines of a few weeks. The stolen moments don't really add up that quickly. It would take years and years of stolen moments to equal a couple of months of solid, true dating between two single people. So even if an A partner insists they *know* that they *love* this other person because *it has been going on for so long*...the truth is that they barely know this person. And this reality WILL smack them in the face eventually.

If you go and do some research about this yourself, it may help you. Even if you don't want your spouse back, you can still consider their A relationship to be doomed.
DQ

Very good post...

I have learned all of that through my own experience.
DQ

I haven't read your previous post but will look for it now. I have seen your name come up several times in others. If you have time, would you please look at my sitch and let me know what you think about it.

Thanks so much and thank you for your wisdom.
DQ,

Thanks you so much for your last 2 threads, very enlightening!

I too like to research and learn all I can about whatever is important in my life at the moment. I'm always reading!

Even though it does help to know their relationship is doomed, there is still doubt. Have you found in your research any relationships that start out as A's that last?

In my sitch both H and OW have been in long-term marriages and claim to have been friends for about a year. The physical relationship started about 5 months ago. If you get time could you look at my sitch.

Again, thanks for you widsom. This is something you are passionate about and it shows! \:\)
I have a friend who entered an A and left her M in 2001.

She left a guy making $200,000+ per year for a guy who had to steal shirts from her H's closet and was AWOL from the Army.

She married him, had a kid, and they are together today.

YMMV.
Golden information, DQ.

DCBHM - Yes, I can see that there will always be the exception, which is exactly why we, as LBS, need to protect ourselves first and decide later if we should want a new relationship with the WAS or someone else. We can't wait around for their dooms day as we need to create our own peace and individuality. (Now... if only I could practice what I just said.) \:\)

I think statistically it's like 20%, isn't it?
Yep, I just read in a book (how to improve your R without talking about it) that 80% of marriages by Affair partners end in divorce...
So, it would be like belated revenge -- probably quite empty after so much damage has occurred, though.

(FOCUS ON THYSELF, FOCUS ON THYSELF, FOCUS ON THYSELF).
Originally Posted By: Puppy Dog Tails
I think statistically it's like 20%, isn't it?

Puppy, I think its less than that, I read that 80% of M's survive infidelity, and of the 20% that do not, 55% of those relationships will fail, so I think that makes it something like 5%. I havent taken statistics in a long time though!

Dance, great post, you are right, you can see it in relationships all around you!
Does anybody else (besides me) walk around and look at other couples in the mall (or wherever) and think to yourself "Be careful with what you have there, you have no idea how quickly it can become fragile."?
i certainly do, although, the truth is, u really dont know what is already going on there...
Last summer and fall if I saw wedding parties getting pictures taken, I always wanted to run up to the bride and say, "Don't do it. He is going to cheat on you!!" That incredible urge has died down and now I hope that they are smart enough to keep their eyes open.

kat
I think that is definitely something I will trouble with in my next relationship... looking out for doomsday. My issues are that H was so nice and turned so mean. I keep looking at other happy R and think what will he turn into. Need to get over that.
I get jealous of the other happy couples. I know that I dont know whats going on under the surface, but I dont care!
Originally Posted By: bluerain
I get jealous of the other happy couples. I know that I dont know whats going on under the surface, but I dont care!
Me too!!! I'm so jealous of couples that hold hands and stuff, but also just really wish it was me!!! Karen
It's a lot easier for us to see how people become jaded, huh? It's also easier to see how naive people really are.
DQ--

This was a great post, thanks for another good one!

I think you know me by now--I am settled in for the long haul, while still being the best me that I can be. Vows are vows and I will not break them. If this marriage is God's will to end, then it will. Since God hates divorce, I will wait on His time and let my DH and his friend implode.

Living God's blessings with grace and dignity~
SMW
Hi guys...I'm sorry I haven't replied to the other replies, I was out for a few days...

But SMW...I have a feeling you are going to win this battle....of course, the OW and your H's "thing" will crash and burn, there is no question there...I hope it doesn't take too dang long either! I know you've been waiting in limbo so long while he was on leave....I'm really rooting for you....I think you might end up being a success story around here in years to come....

DQ
DQ--

I am a success either way. In the midst of all this I have found my way back to God and he is creating in me the woman, wife, and mother I need to be according to His will. My DH home will be the icing on an already spectacular cake. Thank you for your support and well wishes. We are just over a week away from homecoming and I cannot wait to see DH at the pier.

Living God's blessings with grace and dignity~
SMW
I just read this posting and it has helped me to pick up my head and heart once again. My husband left about 6 weeks ago and started a relationship with another woman before he left. We have been married for 12 years and I dont want to loose my hope and prayers when I get myself down. I came across this posting on accident, but it was exactly what I needed to pick my self up again. I think that its great to have you on here. May God bless all of you and I also include everyone in my prayers at night. May God help all of our marriages and help us to do what we can to restore them.
Dance queen- Can you suggest some reading that I can read about rebound relationships. I am curious about reading more on the subject but most of the books im finding are only talking about the whole picture on relationships. I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Thanks hopefull and I'm so happy to read that this post helped you.

The only book I can think of that might be along the lines of what you are looking for is Starting Over by John Gray. This book is addressing Starting Over from any big trauma, but usually it refers to divorce or a big break up. It talks about how many men will try to find a rebound girl, a "band-aid" for the pain of break up, and how this really never works out and it isn't fair to the rebound girl. Women do this too but men are more notorious for not working through emotional pain. Women are better at it and its harder for them to move on. But the book is all about how you can't move into a healthy new relationship until you are healed from past ones. Even if you think you are healed, you aren't until enough time passes and enough lessons are learned. The book helps to guide you through this moving on, so it will really help YOU too, in case you are needing to move on now or in the future.

DQ
HFF,

There are some articles here that may help you out initially. Hopefully this link is acceptable to the boards:

http://www.beyondaffairs.com/articles.htm

The most important thing is to get people around you to support you. The DB coaches will help as will the boards, but you need some people you can call on a moments notice who will listen and guide you when things that are going on seem crazy.

Go to your church leaders and ask for help setting up connections if you don't have any.

N.
Thank you guys so much for the advice. I am struggling very much right now and am trying to keep myself together especially since my kids are starting to show the effects its having on them. i just want to know that I have done everything I can for savign my marriage and making myself more knowledgeable with the situation. I did find a book that I feel has answered soem of my questions and given me a bigger hope towards doing all that I can. The book is called "Hope for the seperated" by Gary Chapman. I am returning to my faith and this book has helped me with my faith and and trying to do what I can, God willing to help my marriage. I did try to fond the book that Dance queen suggested but I have to special order it which I am. Thank you guys again. May God bless all of you and you are all in my prayers. I feel so much better knowing that I have the support on here.
Ok guys i have a question for you all. As you know my husband left me for OW and has even left to bring here back to live with him. I have a question to pose here. Would you consider this a midlife crisis or something else? I know that I had my faults but I think it is odd that he said he needed space cause he wasnt getting it at home and now hes putting himself into yet the same situation which he left. Sure this OW is seeing his good side that anyone starts doing when dating, but why abandon your family to only take on another one similar to your own?
Maybe hes afraid of commitment?! Im trying not to spend too much time dweling on this subject but it just baffles me. I would love to hear what everyone here thinks. He told me he wants a divorce but yet hasnt even begun the process? HMMM?
Originally Posted By: hopefullfaith
Ok guys i have a question for you all. As you know my husband left me for OW and has even left to bring here back to live with him. I have a question to pose here. Would you consider this a midlife crisis or something else? I know that I had my faults but I think it is odd that he said he needed space cause he wasnt getting it at home and now hes putting himself into yet the same situation which he left. Sure this OW is seeing his good side that anyone starts doing when dating, but why abandon your family to only take on another one similar to your own?
Maybe hes afraid of commitment?! Im trying not to spend too much time dweling on this subject but it just baffles me. I would love to hear what everyone here thinks. He told me he wants a divorce but yet hasnt even begun the process? HMMM?

I'm not sure as my W told me she wanted to be independent then she moved out and into OM's place....I don't see this as being independent, as she is now dependent on OM because she still gives me money for the kids/house.

Hopefullfaith,

My hubby has done the same thing. Left a 19 year marriage for OW. He just walked away from 3 kids to live at her house with her son.
He thinks he has feelings for her.
I personally think long term relationships can get comfortable... and they got a taste of excitement with someone new and so they think that is love.
I dont know if its a mid life crisis, but when they realize what a stupid choice they made, eventually that excitement will go away, they will have regrets. The choice for us at home is how long can we wait?
Good luck... I dont post much..Im horrible at giving advise..still trying to take it!:)

Sandy
Hopefullfaith, A midlife crisis a lot of times shows up in men as leaving their M, hanging out with guys half their age, a sudden concern to fit back into their levis from when they were 25, wanting to change careers. Absolutely nothing in his life is right anymore. My H actually became like a 17 year old boy, "Nobody understands... " pouting and whiny, he moved in with an 18 and 19 year olds, and slept on their couches for 5 months.

I think that he probably thinks that he wants a D, but is scared of not having a M to go back to when his A fails, and it will. You are his safety net. Dont believe anything he says right now, I dont think he understands what hes doing anymore than you do. My H has said things like he wishes someone had knocked some sense into him, or he wishes somebody had slapped him.
Bluerain,

My WAW's MLC looks a lot like this too. Nothings right, never loved you, wrong from the beginning, never wanted to be married, hangs out at clubs all the time, texts more than most teens, friends are young single or divorced.
-^-
Im trying to learn to take my advice but its not that easy. My H has filed the paperwork and has made it very clear he doesnt want me. I am still praying cause i'm having a hard time with just not wanting to give in and give him what he asks for now even though its not what i want. I know its not over until its over but I dont know how to tell for sure what I need to do. I think I am letting my emotions get in the way of what God is trying to tell me. This is so hard. Thank you guys for hanging around with me though. If my marriage doesnt work out I know that I will find a way somehow to dedicate part of my life to helping any other marriages i can.
Hi DQ - I just read your first post and thought is great. I to have been on both sides and I see that what you posted to be very true.
What I would like to know from you - Is what constitutes an Affair ?

I had an affair while living with my H. After years my H left me and within weeks of living away from home took up with a woman whom he is still with today. He says it is not an affair. He is open with her. Dating and introducing family and friends that are interested. We are both still in emotional and financial turmoil. Attached at the hip by business and kids. with all your research would you conside r this relationship of his doomed.

It has only been 6 months and he was telling everyone who would listen that he had a new 'friend' within weeks , months of meeting. He does not live with her.

Yes, his new relationship is totally doomed. However, it might take several years for it to run its course.

I like to tell the story of an ex-BIL...he married his high school sweetheart, they had 3 kids. He began an affair with the wife of a close friend when the kids were between ages 5 - 10. The affair went on for over a year, and then the wife found out and confronted him. He immediately did all the "never was in love with you" re-writing of history and said he wanted a divorce. His very close family all warned him he wasn't thinking clearly, that his kids were going to really be upset and would suffer, and that the OW was a piece of trash. He told everyone straight up the following:

*My family will side with ME, because they are MY family.

*My kids will be JUST FINE, don't talk to me about MY KIDS.

*My family WILL accept OW, because I chose her.

He obviously had a lot of faith that blood was not only thicker than water, but it also had no real thoughts of its own! He honestly felt his kids would be happy for him! He felt his family would be happy for him!

He was wrong. His kids suffered and continue to suffer to this day. One of them became a family law attorney, because she wanted to somehow help people going through the horrible-ness of divorce. The other two are having lots of issues in their own familys now. All three of them have told him in no uncertain terms that his actions destroyed their young lives.

His family all sided with his ex-wife, whom they had known and loved for 15 years. They also all completely rejected the OW, and when he began bringing her around to family functions, it caused huge fights and unease amongst everyone....which he blamed THEM for, not himself and not the OW. He truly could neve really understand how anyone felt. He was blindsided by it all. He truly felt they would all just be happy for him and would love the OW!

His ex-wife did move on, with class and grace (she did try very hard to save the marriage first, but eventually gave up). She is re-married to a wonderful man. The entire family still keeps in touch with her and loves her.

He eventually married his OW. It lasted about 8 years. Success? Not. He was just too ashamed to admit he had been wrong, so he stuck it out and pretended he was happy all that time. In reality, she was a raging alcoholic and made his life hell every single day for all of those years. The family would witness her being falling down drunk and starting fights with him at family functions, and we would all just snigger behind our hands because, WOW! THIS woman is who you dumped your beautiful, classy wife for? Have fun with that! The final straw for him was that the OW drove up to their house one day with police cars following her....they had been trying to pull her over for obvious drunk driving and she was so drunk she thought she could "lose them" by driving home, which was on a cul de sac! She was arrested, of course. After that, he finally filed for divorce.

I had heard that years later, he apologized to his ex-W and kids, and did exclaim the usual "what was I thinking?" stuff. Too little too late. They all already paid the price for his "love" for the OW, and there is no way he can repair the damage.

So my point is....

This man in my story claimed he was happy and had made the right choice for years and years...he was willing to pay the price of staying with the OW even though it was actually a horrible torture for him, all due to shame over what he had done to his family. He kept hoping that what he originally thought (that everyone would side with him) would come true and that we would all eventually learn to love the OW. But the truth prevailed...he had thrown away his life and everyone who loved him, too. And eventually that truth will always prevail....

As to what constitutes an affair...

That one is so hard. All I can say is that I now know what those boundaries are within myself. I know myself, I know what is "wrong" now, where before, that line was pretty murky for me. For myself, I will not even flirt or pass a "look" or catch eyes with another person....those seemingly simple or innocent acts are the beginning stirrings of attraction, and attraction is usually what leads us toward another person...and then we know what happens from there.

Polly - I haven't read your whole thread or sitch...but I have to ask you because it is confusing to me, do you even want your ex-h back?

DQ
Hi DQ - Thanks for that story.

Do I want H back.

No. I am very angry and I hurt for my kids. Dont get me wrong,I would love to have my family back in tact but I realise that I was living with someone , whom I did not really know. I say that in the way he is so hurtful, angry and hateful in his actions towards myself and kids now.

I dont think you can develope the ability to be so insensitive. It has to of been inside you all the time. It makes me wonder if this underlying trait if his , which helped me towards someone else.

The damage H is doing emotuionally to us , is at a point now where it cnnot be forgiven. I am a little luckier than most in that I have complete control of our businesses now and hence his flow of income. This of course is fueling his frustration and anger. Every time he throwa a log on the fire , I tighten the rope. So round and round we go.
Originally Posted By: pollyanna
The damage H is doing emotionally to us , is at a point now where it cannot be forgiven.
Someone around here has the quote... forgiveness is a gift you give yourself.

Eventually it will be beneficial for you to forgive. Time does heal all wounds.

But I do understand where you are coming from... I was with a W who came on without pretense, inserted herself as 'mommy' to my boys, and seemed like a dream come true in some ways. Of course now she is hateful, spiteful, vindictive, selfish, and has no care in the world how her actions affect me or the boys, or for that matter our daughter.

These times will pass however.
Hey DQ,

I was wondering if you could stop by my current sitch and offer your thoughts from the A POV. You were one of the earliest posters and had alot of great insight.

http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1778990#Post1778990

My W still works with the OM, however now she seems to be in deep depression. So I was wondering if it was all "normal".

thanks!
DQ,

I am over in piecing and I have not seen your posts Until I was catching up on Puppy's thread. I have to tell you Your responce to Puppy's w's letter to him hit me right in the heart. I am not a WAW, my H is MLC but, is still at home and trying I guess in his own way to get better.

I haven't been able to put into words or put straight my thoughts about how I feel until I read that letter that you broke down for puppy. This IS me. This is just how I have been feeling. I am trying to work through all of this and I do want my M. Maybe I can more clearly work on this now.
I just sat and cried when I read it.

JAK
© DivorceBusting.com