Divorcebusting.com
Posted By: grasshopper GH Saga...progress? - 09/11/06 11:49 AM
Well, last night was not so good. W was depressed again. I really don't know why. She doesn't really talk much about the specifics. Hell, there may not even be any specific thing she's upset about. I'm starting to think she has a real mental health issue. Once again she said she wanted "help" but would not elaborate on what that would be, and this morning, when I asked her about last night, she just brushed it aside. She said she was fine and gave me a big hug and smile.

Last night she was not sure she could "go on" (although she made it clear she was not talking about suicide), was "pretending to be happy all the time" and was just tired of life. She was not really crying but was clearly very upset. I don't know if she had been drinking a lot. I went to bed an hour before all this started.

All in all, it wasn't too bad but I am getting really frustrated at this cycle of her "depression" followed by "I'm not feeling well" the next day, followed by a week or so of "good" days.

I suppose if it were not so dramatic I would just think this was one more time (or set of times) that I need to learn to listen, validate, comfort and just allow her to move on. Maybe that IS all that is required of me, I don't know. It just seems like she's actually ASKING me to fix her but I don't know how, or more accurately, I know she needs to see a doctor but I can't get her to do it. I know that's the first step but today, like ALL days after a bad night, she's doing her best "Everything is fine, I was just having a bad night. I am really ok, I promise..." routine.

This is nothing really new. She has had these "episodes" for as long as I have known her, it's just the intensity and frequency that has increased lately.

I DO think my handling of this stuff is making a difference. She seems to be opening up to me more.

In the end, referring back to Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus, I guess this may be one of those times when a woman may be dramatizing something, seeming to be saying some pretty "final" things but is actually just venting, wanting to be validated and allowed to get it all out. I hope so because that's how I am treating it. I still think there is some "fixing" to be done but I want her to fix herself. I just don't know if she either knows how or will even if she does.

So, more good than bad days lately. Hope that continues...

GH
Posted By: toughlover Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/11/06 05:17 PM
Quote:

I suppose if it were not so dramatic I would just think this was one more time (or set of times) that I need to learn to listen, validate, comfort and just allow her to move on. Maybe that IS all that is required of me, I don't know.

I think you nailed it, bro. I don't think women EVER want to be told HOW or WHY unless they ask first for something very specific. I've always had a hard time understanding that, cause if I talk about a problem, and someone knows how to fix, buddy I want to know what the fix is.

Sometimes I think many women really don't care if something is "fixed" or "broken"...they just want to know you're there.
Posted By: MuddleThrough Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/11/06 07:59 PM
You know, GH, this might come a bit out of left field here, but I wonder if your desire to fix your W or fix yourself or your life to address what seems to be causing your W distress, whether it's asked for or not, is preventing her from reaching the point where she will take action on her own issues. It's pretty clear that she has some issues with depression, which she medicates with drink or the A she had, and she is somewhat in denial of the problem. I think, as I think you do as well, that she could greatly benefit from therapy.

I don't know any better what it will take for her to take action on her stuff herself, but at some point it has to happen. I think it's good for your relationship that she's opening up and expressing her feelings, but I don't think expressing her feelings will resolve anything. I think she needs to address the cause of the feelings. She is far too willing to write off what she was dwelling on the night before (because she feels ok the next day even though nothing has changed) - and this strikes me as denial, and is unhealthy.

I re-read the DR chapter on depression, and it really is striking just how many of the criteria my wife met. The thought patterns that MWD discusses are the most troubling thing, as the person suffering depression has to change their perspective themselves. Give it a read.
Posted By: grasshopper Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/12/06 03:43 PM
TL, Muddle, thanks.

TL, I do think you are right on, and muddle, I think you are right too.

TL's comments are more relating to MY change I needed to make in terms of always wanting to fix my W, and I have tried REALLY hard to get that out of my system. I think I have done a pretty good job with that.

As for Muddle's comments, muddle, I think you have it right and for that matter, so does my W. She keeps saying that she knows what needs to be done and is trying to do it. The problem is that she has a SEVERE aversion to therapy or even doctors for that matter. I try to get to the bottom of that with her but she stonewalls me everytime.

I think she is close to doing something real this time, like at least seeing a general doctor. I think that because for the first time ever, her "not feeling well" directly affected one of our S's. She had me come home early and pick her up, pick the kids up from school with her and they (W & Kids) went with me to a job I had yesterday afternoon. S6 was supposed to go to his second soccer practice, and since he's never played before it's important he go. He missed practice because of her "not feeling well" enough to drive him on her own and it tore her up. As if she wasn't feeling $hitty enough, she got really down about that.

I asked her a few times what it would take for her to "do something" about all this and she said it wouldn't take anything. I also told her that she needed to not drink, or do SOMETHING so that every Monday didn't go that way. I siad that my work was being affected and so was the kid's schedule. I thought she was going to get upset at my saying this but it needed to be said. She didn't get upset and instead said it not only needed to stop on Sundays, but it needed to not ever happen again (I assume she means drinking too much and then feeling the way she does the day after) and she "knew what needed to be done", which I assume is to stop drinking.

I hope she gets the clue sooner rather than later. I am worried about her and I think as direct and maybe harsh as I was yesterday, I have expressed only my concern, not any attempt to control or "father" her. She has openly resented me in the past for that kind of thing and I think she is appreciating my new approach much more.

I know I can't fix her but I do want to encourage her to fix herself, and yes muddle, that means not being so quick to save her. Actually I am not so quick anymore but when it comes to the kids, I do step in and make as sure as I can that they are done right by.

So, all is semi-well in GH-land, especially when you realize that these depression/panic/anxiety issues have been around since day one with my W. It's actually nice to have stripped away a lot of the A garbage so we can get back to those issues and others that are more to the heart of our problems.

As messed up as it sounds, if where we are now is her being depressed and having panic attacks BUT telling me about it and ASKING for help, I think we are actually farther along than we were before the A happened, and after all, isn't that what we all say we want?

I want a perfect life but a good life is still better than what we had before.

GH
Posted By: frank_D Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/12/06 05:40 PM
Quote:

I asked her a few times what it would take for her to "do something" about all this and she said it wouldn't take anything. I also told her that she needed to not drink, or do SOMETHING so that every Monday didn't go that way.

Instead of syaing what she needs to 'not' do, which we don't internalize anyway because we don't hear 'no' in sentences, why not ask her what you CAN do together to spend Sunday differently? You only break a habit or behavior by replacing it with something else.

What would that be?
Posted By: grasshopper Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/12/06 05:48 PM
Actually Frank, that's a good thought, one that I can apply elsewhere, but Sunday night is really no different than Friday or Saturday in that sometimes she drinks a bit too much. The thing we can do differently is for her not to drink. Other than that, we do the same things (Watch a little TV/movie/talk, get the kid's stuff ready for Monday and go to bed) as we do most other nights. It just seems like she's not gotten used to Sunday not being a "free" night like it was in the summer.

I THINK she got the message this weekend and like I said, I REALLY will take to heart your suggestion going forward that I not use "no" and "not", replacing them with more positive suggestions/ideas.

As for replacing her "habit" with something else, she USED to drink tea at night, a habit she's starting to get back to on nights she doesn't have her wine. That is a REALLY promising sign since it's been a LONG time since she's done that, and for me, a sign that she's trying to do something else other than just break the habit. She IS trying to replace it, or rather go back to how she was years ago, something that I think we both know would be healthier for her.

GH
Posted By: RBinBR Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/12/06 08:56 PM
Quote:

She didn't get upset and instead said it not only needed to stop on Sundays, but it needed to not ever happen again (I assume she means drinking too much and then feeling the way she does the day after) and she "knew what needed to be done", which I assume is to stop drinking.

That's a couple of assumptions in there, GH. I would suggest that you wrap up convos by summarizing an action plan to make sure that both of you are on the same page:

"So, just to make sure we understand each other, you are agreeing to stop drinking on Sundays, correct? Is this a plan that you are implementing immediately?"
Posted By: frank_D Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/13/06 02:31 AM
Quote:

As for replacing her "habit" with something else, she USED to drink tea at night, a habit she's starting to get back to on nights she doesn't have her wine. That is a REALLY promising sign since it's been a LONG time since she's done that, and for me, a sign that she's trying to do something else other than just break the habit.

Offer to make tea then.

You're a good man. She knows it. It will work out.
Posted By: superstressed Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/13/06 05:07 PM
GH,

I second the tea thing. Don't just make one for her at night. Make a cup for yourself too.

I think my H has made a cup of tea for each of us every single morning we have been together for our entire marriage (actually, while we were dating too.) As far as I can tell, for those across the pond, drinking tea can be a comfort thing. Drinking tea together each night can be a chance for you and your W to reconnect every day.

SuperStressed
Posted By: whatisis Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/13/06 09:52 PM
GH, This tea thing you're onto seems to be a big hit on the board. Geez, give her the whole pot! I wanted to introduce you to a book that might be helpful. It was the first one I read when my W dropped the "I don't love you" bomb. It helped alot to see what depression can do to a persons thinking and how it can F*** up their life and the R. It's called "Depression Fallout: The Impact of Depression on Couples and What You Can Do to Preserve the Bond" by Anne Sheffield. I've been meaning to give you the title but, you know, life gets in the way! So here it is.
Posted By: always_14 Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/13/06 10:17 PM
Gh---been a long time since I posted. I can't diagnose if your W is clinically depressed, but is sounds like something is going on there....as with my H too. I think he always was a little, but really hit the peak with his MLC....perhaps the same with your W.

I know H needs to see someone, but I can't make it happen, no matter how hard I want it and see his life spiraling and at times mine with it. She knows that there is help out there with therapy/C/meds. She knows she needs to "do something." You support her and she knows that.

In my experience with 2 friends who suffered from clinical depression, each of them went through TWO years of being depressed and supported and knowing they had depression and knowing they needed to do something about it. It hurt to watch them spiral, to watch them suffer, and I turned blue in the face telling them to see a therapist. They finally did. WHY? B/c they finally had the desire in themselves to do it, for THEM. That desire has to come from within, to love yourself, to take care of yourself, your life, your family. Therapy takes committment and lot of work, and that work can only be done when you open yourself in those ways first.

Be patient, she will come around. Seems she already is. It's hard to watch someone go through this, but I am a big fan of people doing things on their own.
Posted By: grasshopper Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/14/06 12:19 PM
Thanks everyone. The tea thing is somehthing my W has been big on forever but I can't seem to aquire the taste. I don't really like hot drinks (born in Florida and all).

I know she will eventually come around but even the last two days she's been draging around the house, saying she's tired and such. It's really hard to watch her spiral, as you say, but I too think it's what has to happen in order for her to get motivated ON HER OWN to get the help she admits she needs.

I can only support, and occasionally, when the time is right, encourage her to do what she needs to so.

I think for the time being, I am just going to concentrate on Mama and cheer her on. NOOOOOO more batteries!!!!!

GH
Posted By: Mamabear Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/15/06 12:01 PM
GH,
You really cracked me up;

Quote:

I think for the time being, I am just going to concentrate on Mama and cheer her on. NOOOOOO more batteries!!!!!

I was reading your latest thread with my serious thinking cap on and then you throw in the last line, you are quite funny!

I too think your wife may have a depression/drinking problem. She drinks because she is depressed and then she is depressed that she drank. A vicious cycle my friend. NO ONE is going to get her to end this cycle except your W and unfortunately this might not be something she will ever do. I guess you could treat her like a kid throwing a tantrum or showing negative behaviour; I usually jump in with a distraction. Move the kid to another toy or room in the house. It shouldn't take all night to get the kids ready for school on Monday so maybe do that early in the evening and suggest you all go for a walk or a bike ride or to the park. This way she doesn't have the opportunity to drink quite so much. Just a thought...
Posted By: grasshopper Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/15/06 03:06 PM
Thanks Mama. Glad I could crack you up today.

As for my W's drinking, I am just tired of thinking about it. I know it's a problem but how big a problem I don't know. I also know that it's something she's got to get a handle on herself.

She SEEMS to be doing better but I still hear things like "I know I don't HAVE to drink, but it's somethig I choose to do. I could choose not to whenever I want..." Gee, that's not textbook or anything. To underscore that she usually quits for a couple days but then goes right back. It's surely a cycle.

Last night we talked a bit about it. She said she'd been feeling better the past few days (of which she only drank one night and that was not very much). I said I thought that MAY have something to do with the lack of drinking and she didn't disagree but still proceeded to drink last night, again, not that much. I just let it go. She was in a good mood, and I was tired.

Like I said, this is NOT something new for my W. She's been in this pattern since I met her and while that does not make it ok, it does make it something that I was WELL aware of and have been dealing with for almost a decade now. It's not likely to change today, tomorrow or the next day.

The bottom line is that, like I said in the beginning, I don't know how much of an issue her drinking really is. She doen't drink any more or less than most people I know (again, that doesn't make it right) but it's clearly something that affects her in a negative way yet she persists on doing it.

Time to shift the focus. As you said Mama, I don't dwell on it, or directly try to stop it, I am just focused on making our lives better, encouraging her to make HER life better and if that happens, history shows me that the drinking WILL be less of an issue.

GH
Posted By: Cupcake Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/15/06 03:49 PM
Hi Grasshopper:

Wow, what an issue. I think your wife drinks to numb her feelings. SHe uses alcohol to escape from life. Sorry, that's just how I see it. Most people I know don't drink on a weekly/nightly basis. I think you might be fooling yourself into thinking that is "what most people do". the one's I know who do have a problem with alcohol and hence, other problems as well.

I am so sorry you are going thru this on top of the simple WAW thing. It just compounds the problem.

I think you wife needs to get out of the house, get a job, and interact daily with other adults. She seems to be missing that. I know I did when I was home all day with small children. I think she is just afraid to admit it, thinking she is a "bad mom" if she admits to needing something more.

Hang in there....we are all rooting for you.
Posted By: whatisis Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/15/06 04:07 PM
Gh, often people get caught up in how often the person drinks as oppsed what it is doing to that persons life. If alcohol is making you M, your family life and her life miserable, then its a problem. I urge you to check out Alanon (I believe it's alanon.org) and get some guidance from those who have been there. They were a lifesaver for a friend of mine. Just a thought.
Posted By: grasshopper Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/15/06 04:08 PM
Thanks for the thoughts cupcake.

Quote:

Wow, what an issue. I think your wife drinks to numb her feelings. SHe uses alcohol to escape from life.

I agree. She SAYS it's because it helps her sleep/not have nightmares but that's just the latest reason/excuse. The good news is that she's starting to acknowledge out loud that it's a problem, one that she MAY need help to solve. It's a step, and if you believe the old adage, you can't get help without first admitting the problem.

Quote:

Most people I know don't drink on a weekly/nightly basis. I think you might be fooling yourself into thinking that is "what most people do". the one's I know who do have a problem with alcohol and hence, other problems as well.

Here's the thing. After hearing a lot about my W's drinking and my reaction to it, my C suggested that I may have a perception problem because I don't, and never have, drink. She said from what I described, my W may or may not have an issue with alcohol. I thought about that, having always assumed that it WAS a problem. I have always known that my opinion is skewed because I don't even know what it's like to drink but this was the first time someone on the outside said this to me.

After that session I thought a LOT about how I handled my W drinking and how my response to it has played a LARGE role in our issues over the years...

and I want to clarify something, when I say drinking, I mean one glass of wine or 4. When I say she drinks many nights of the week, I mean sometimes it's two glasses, sometimes (rare) it's 3, 4 or 5...

SO, I decided to take a little informal poll among my friends and co-workers. I found that the vast majority of them said they had a beer or two many times a week and on the weekends, more. Are they all abnormal? Do they all have a problem? I found one person who said he made it a point to only drink on the weekends and that was because he used to do it too much during the week.

Again, a drink or two with dinner or while watching TV seemed to be the norm with the folks I talked to. Maybe I am just talking to the wrong people.

Quote:

I am so sorry you are going thru this on top of the simple WAW thing. It just compounds the problem.

I agree. It does. Thank you.

Quote:

I think you wife needs to get out of the house, get a job, and interact daily with other adults. She seems to be missing that. I know I did when I was home all day with small children. I think she is just afraid to admit it, thinking she is a "bad mom" if she admits to needing something more.

To me, this is the key to everything. So much of what happened was because we had/have (working on it) NO social life away from the kids. She lost touch with all her friends and lived much of the last 6 years as a shut-in stay at home mom. Like many other men caught off-guard by this stuff, I thought she liked her life and was fulfilled by her role as mother/wife. It was always her choice to stay home. I know now that she just kept her sadness and frustration inside because, as you said, she felt like she couldn't want/ask for more or else she'd be a bad mom/wife. So sad because I unknowingly contributed to these feelings. I hate that and I am working SO hard to make sure she knows she is "free" to be herself and explore life...just not with another man mind you.

Quote:

Hang in there....we are all rooting for you.

Thank you so much.

GH
Posted By: whatisis Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/17/06 01:51 AM
Hey GH! I just read a poem tonite and the last line made me think of your sitch. Here it is,
"Love's intoxication is the path to sobriety".
Hmmm! Take care.
Posted By: grasshopper Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/18/06 11:48 AM
Hey all. VERY quiet weekend. Literally (no, I really mean it this time) nothing to report. Things are still good. No real progress other than...oh...wait...there is a LITTLE news. W said at one point on Saturday night that she wants to find a babysitter so we can start going out. This is new. She hasn't really said that much lately. It's been all about her going out with GF's and that we go out when family can babysit. This is a pretty good sign but we'll see if there is action to go with her words.

So, that's bout it. I will try to catch up on you all today.

GH
Posted By: Mamabear Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/18/06 02:03 PM
GH, no news is good news, right?
That is pretty much what is going on here, hence not much posting on my thread either.

I'm glad your W wants to get a babysitter and go out with you, I know that has been a big issue with you guys. I hope she follows thru!
Posted By: grasshopper Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/20/06 01:46 AM
Hey all. Sorry I've not had much time lately, and it may get worse. Unfortunatly I found out today that my father has cancer. We don't know how bad it is (still more testing to do) yet but as I'm sure many of you know, any cancer is bad. I will post when I can.

GH
Posted By: Mamabear Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/20/06 02:56 AM
GH,
I am so sorry about your Dad. I will add him to my thoughts and prayers (along with Jokerman who also has a tumor). There is an old saying "Life is never so bad that it couldn't get worse" I guess that applys here, huh?

Be the strong one, be the rock that you are. Somehow, everything happens for a reason. Don't know, but maybe this scare with your Dad will cause your W to realize how important you are in her life. Who knows...
Hang in there, love ya, Mama.
Posted By: superstressed Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/20/06 03:23 AM
((((((GH))))))

When it rains, it pours. Take care of your yourself.

SuperStressed
Posted By: NotMarried Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/20/06 10:18 AM
(((GH)))

Sorry to hear about your father. Keep us updated when you can.

NM
Posted By: PArob Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/20/06 12:37 PM
GH....Damn! Sorry to hear about your dad, I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.
Posted By: SRTogacihC Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/20/06 02:22 PM
GH...sorry to hear about your dad...

The stay at home mom stuff really hit home for me...that was definitely a factor in my situation...boredom...sitting on the computer all day...no adult communication...looked for me to provide more communication...depression...too much baby/kid...etc...etc... Whatever happens in my situation she will be getting a job.
Posted By: MuddleThrough Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/20/06 02:27 PM
GH, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad. Hang in there.
Posted By: grasshopper Re: GH Saga...progress? - 09/20/06 02:31 PM
Thanks as usual you guys/ladies. We'll know next week how bad it is. It's his birthday today so...

CM, you are doing fine. You are starting to explore just what it is that you want. It's scary to do that since you've felt like you've subjugated your wishes for 18 years of your life, and probably long before that too.

One thing I can't stress enough is that you CAN get what you want for YOU WITHOUT harming the people you love and who love you. Just because you want something for yourself DOES NOT make you a selfish b!tch. I think many people, including oddly enough me, and especially my W feel that way and the only way we can get up the courage to go for something we want is to say to ourselves "f--k everyone else, I'm doing this no matter what!!!" The problem with that is there lies in it the assumption that "everyone else", namely your family, and especially your H, doesn't want you to get what you want. That may be true to a certain extent but the fact is that IF they truly love you and see that something you do, i.e. this PT job makes you happy, then they will support you in it.

I know that sounds all fairy-tale-ish but I believe that to be true. I think it just takes some time to learn how to accept that. I know it did for me. Time AND trauma, but I truly believe that I could have been told what my W wanted without her having to have an affair to get my attention.

Like I said, trust yourself to know what you want and then trust those in your life to support you in getting that, or at the very least, be willing to discuss it with an open mind and help find a way to work it into your lives.

Keep it up CM. You're doing great!

GH
Posted By: grasshopper Journaling - 09/21/06 04:02 PM
No BIG news but another little thing to report.

Last night, after a good afternoon/evening with the kids/wife, I told W if she came to bed at a reasonable time, I would give her a "proper" back massage. She immediately made a face because earlier when she asked me if I had any plans/work for the evening I said "Not really, just sex, wanna join me?" She rolled her eyes. I didn't really mean to say it but things have gotten comfortable again so...

Back to the "massage". She assumed that was my way to say I was going to START with a massage and then make my move. She was wrong. I didn't really want to do that. I was actually trying to show her that EVERY time I want to do something physical with/to her it doesn't HAVE to be all about sex. I am trying (and have been trying) to introduce some intimacy that is not all about intercourse.

Well, she didn't really come to bed at a reasonable hour, which in the past I would have taken as some kind of rejection, but really, now what am I being rejected for? Sex, something we haven't had in almost a year and I didn't really want anyway, or simply the "honor" of giving her a massage. I decided that it would be her loss (I am pretty good at massages). I also decided NOT to have any attitude. In the past I would have shown my displeasure at her seeming to stall when she seemed to think I wanted sex.

When she came to bed I just sat up and started my massage. 2-3 minutes into it I asked her if she had any lotion left that didn't aggravate her skin (she is sensitive to certain lotions). She smiled and said "You know it's too late for sex." It was kinda ludicrous how it was said, as if after a year I somehow expected something. I simply said "That's fine, I wasn't after that anyway. Do you have any lotion." I had a genuine smile on my face and managed to have a good attitude, something that took some doing because I did have to reisit my old habit of getting upset when things didn't go my way (and by that I only mean assuming that she didn't come right to bed because she didn't want me to do whatever I was going to do). I just finally figured out how self-defeating that behavior is...and I changed it...FINALLY!!!

SO, she smiled at my still wanting to do the massage and told me where the lotion was. I got it and without fanfare gave her a massage. She made LOTS of "happy" noises and said she really liked what I was doing/wanted me to do it more often. I made it a point to NOT (this is for you OT) "accidentally" brush a boob or extend my definition of back to include the, uh, MUCH LOWER back. I also made sure I ended it on my own (didn't wait for her to be asleep or say I "could" stop) and just covered her up with the blanket and went to sleep.

This may all seem strange but to me it's HUGE. It's not that I don't really want sex because of course I do but I want it in the context of REAL intimacy in our R, at ALL times, not just at Midnight on Friday/Saturday. I THINK W is starting to understand I am serious about that. I KNOW there was intimacy between us last night, and an energy that was building because she knew the massage was not just something I was doing to get in her pants, I was doing it out of love for her (her shoulders have been killing her lately...stress). I can honestly say that she has not ever had that feeling in our R. It has ALWAYS been about getting in her pants, something that she has outright said she resented. Well, times are a changin' honey!

I truly believe that the more of this extra-sexular (yea, not a word but) intimacy we have in our R, the more sexual energy will build and when we do finally (don't think it's long off now) ML, there will be a comfort level I don't think we have had in a LONG time.

PM taught me that one thing I have done "wrong" for a LONG time is to not just do what I want to do and see if she follows my lead. So far, she IS following my lead and it's fascinating to me.

I think I mentioned that I have a problem understanding my ability to influence people. I guess when it comes down to it, I don't believe I can so when it happens, either in business or personal relationships, I am surprised. I guess that's also why I always resorted to trying to control a situation rather than just negotiate or influence it. Still learning this lesson every day.

So, things are moving along pretty well and I am trying to be more assertive about these things and it's paying off. I think I just needed to give the sitch time and hopefully it's paying off.

GH
Posted By: MuddleThrough Re: Journaling - 09/21/06 04:39 PM
Good news, GH. I think you're right that you're building intimacy, but I think you might also be putting pressure on your wife that prolongs this dry spell of yours. Nothing like nagging to kill the mood. Maybe you can hint through your actions - because I do think it's important to express your sexuality - in a way that is playful and/or suggestive rather than the intellectual/verbal communicating you're doing now.

I think the significance of you resisting your urge to express your hurt (or actually avoiding the hurt altogether) at being rejected is a big step too. I think this is really the only way you will encourage the honesty of your W, without which there can be no intimacy. If she can't reject you without hurting you, she has to make it appear *she* isn't the one rejecting you, forcing her to lie to protect your feelings.

Have you asked openly what you can do for your W in day to day life to make things for her better? I'm just curious, because when you do for her, it's natural for her to want to do for you, and if she's not, then it seems you might not be reaching her where you should.

The thing that's really troublesome to me when I read about this, and take this with a grain of salt because I don't know anything and I'm basing this on many levels of assumption, is: you seem to be really reworking yourself around your wife, who doesn't seem too interested in building a new, more developed relationship. It seems you're accomodating her and she isn't contributing much, whether it be vision of where the relationship should be or action to get it there. I know this DB stuff leads us to believe that we have to shoulder the weight and do the hard work in order to get to the point where our spouses will cooperate, but it seems to me that you are there and she isn't cooperating too much. It's like she's doing you a favor by staying and allowing you to have her as your wife.

I'm sure I'm misreading a lot here, but I caution you to be aware that you're either setting the precedent or feeding into one that's already set that she can do as she wishes and you'll be happy as long as she doesn't leave you. I know you want more, even if it's just the sex that's lacking. I think this is the big carrot on the end of the stick for you that once you acheive you'll have little motivation for progress. That's far too much emphasis on sex, far too much pressure. It should be fun, not necessarily loaded with meaning. Remember (and this is something WASs seem to think the reverse of) that actions generate feelings. If you wait around for the feelings to act, then you may never have the feelings.
Posted By: toughlover Re: Journaling - 09/21/06 05:34 PM
Quote:

Have you asked openly what you can do for your W in day to day life to make things for her better? I'm just curious, because when you do for her, it's natural for her to want to do for you, and if she's not, then it seems you might not be reaching her where you should.

That's the key, really. No judgement on anyone's sitch but my own, but once I started doing that as best I could, coupled with eliminating all A/OM talk and all R talk she didn't initiate or wasn't interested in, I've seen a HUGE difference in my W.

Realized what I was doing much of the time was meeting the needs I WANTED her to have instead of the ones she actually had.
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 09/22/06 04:51 PM
Thanks for the comments guys. I think I might need to clarify and hopefully this is not going to come off as defensive.

Quote:

Nothing like nagging to kill the mood. Maybe you can hint through your actions - because I do think it's important to express your sexuality - in a way that is playful and/or suggestive rather than the intellectual/verbal communicating you're doing now.

I don't verbally communicate much at ALL. That's why I said that I really didn't intend to say "I plan to have sex tonight, wanna join me." I should have said more clearly that I didn't mean to say that because I KNOW that things like that killed the mood for her in the past. I am ALL about action these days and saying VERY little. It's one of the things I found out she hated and I am trying as best I can to not only respect HER wishes, but also honor who I want to be, and that is someone who isn't afraid of being assertive because I may be rejected. I don't take that personally anymore and I really think it's leading to a more comfortable R in terms of intimacy.
It's not like I have all the answers regarding my R and sexuality in it but this is one area where I have done a lot of soul searching and come up with a LOT of things I'd like to change in this respect and I found that through ALL my relationships I have done certain things, like being VERY passive/aggressive about sex, that I would like to change.

Quote:

Yes, and this has made the biggest difference. I did this early on, when things started to get better and while she didn't really tell me much, between what she did say and what I figured out on my own, I managed to understand more than ever what I had not really been doing all these years. And that brings your next point...

Quote:

he thing that's really troublesome to me when I read about this, and take this with a grain of salt because I don't know anything and I'm basing this on many levels of assumption, is: you seem to be really reworking yourself around your wife, who doesn't seem too interested in building a new, more developed relationship. It seems you're accommodating her and she isn't contributing much, whether it be vision of where the relationship should be or action to get it there. I know this DB stuff leads us to believe that we have to shoulder the weight and do the hard work in order to get to the point where our spouses will cooperate, but it seems to me that you are there and she isn't cooperating too much. It's like she's doing you a favor by staying and allowing you to have her as your wife.

Well, to be honest muddle, I have had that last thought myself but then when I take stock and see if I am REALLY doing things just for her, or if I am doing things that I really enjoy doing/would do for ANY woman in my life, or anybody for that matter that I cared about, I see that I am indeed just being me. For her part, she IS doing a lot more than really she has ever done in terms of reaching out to me, both literally and figuratively. Her contribution to forming our "new" marriage IS less than mine at this point but like many WAS's, I think her idea is to just forget it ever happened and move forward. Since we have had the "forgiveness" conversations (the one where I forgive her, and the one where I tell her she will eventually need to forgive herself) I feel ok with just moving forward. I don't need her to be vocal about her "vision" but I do need to hear certain reassurances from her and most importantly, I need her ACTIONS to match the little she does say about being committed to us and our future together.

So far, her actions of late are 100% transparent. Ever since we had that open talk about how all I really ever needed from her is to have her understand how certain things affected me, i.e. the long periods of time where she was not answering her phone, etc, and she said she totally understood that, things have been MUCH better. She said she never really thought about that. She would just get angry at me for my reaction and never stopped to realize how despite my best efforts, those kinds of things affected me.

Quote:

I'm sure I'm misreading a lot here, but I caution you to be aware that you're either setting the precedent or feeding into one that's already set that she can do as she wishes and you'll be happy as long as she doesn't leave you. I know you want more, even if it's just the sex that's lacking. I think this is the big carrot on the end of the stick for you that once you achieve you'll have little motivation for progress. That's far too much emphasis on sex, far too much pressure. It should be fun, not necessarily loaded with meaning. Remember (and this is something WASs seem to think the reverse of) that actions generate feelings. If you wait around for the feelings to act, then you may never have the feelings.

I agree with this. Profound my friend. I really think I have stripped away most of the pressure (you have NO idea how bad I used to be. I can't imagine she ever wanted to ML, and that's not just me taking all the blame, that's REAL!). I THINK I have started to get my W to feel comfortable with me physically. In the past there was SO much pressure from me every time there was ANY physical interaction to ML that I suppose it eventually burned her out. I know the one time I had a GF that was like that (believe it or not) I felt that way. It was the only R I was ever in where I actually found reasons NOT to be around her because there was ALWAYS the expectation of sex. Wow, saying that sounds funny.

Anyway, it's NOT a topic of conversation between us anymore and I think my actions are affecting her, and HER actions seem to be more positive than ever...well...except for the no sex part and like I have been saying, I THINK that will be changing sooner rather than later and when it does, I REALLY think my opportunity to prove to myself AND her that I am capable of intimacy THROUGHOUT the house not just in the bedroom will be huge.

If we DO ML and then I don't physically pull away from her like I ALWAYS did for a few days after (i.e. her saying the only time I ever touch her is when I want sex) then I think much progress will be made and things will improve dramatically!

GH
Posted By: PArob Re: Journaling - 09/22/06 06:44 PM
GH,

Things really are moving in a good direction in your sitch, I can see so much progress and in case you haven't heard this lately, I think you deserve a lot of credit in getting there. You patience and tenacity are noteworthy and are something for all of us to aspire to.

In the end, I know that you and your W will have a much stronger and healthier relationship because you have had the vision to see your shortcomings and to apply the DB principles to your sitch. She is a very lucky women to have you in her life.

I don't have any advice to offer, I just wanted to be your cheerleader today!
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 09/25/06 04:33 PM
Thanks Rob, and no, I have not heard that in awhile, lol.

I do think progress is being made but last night was another "bad" night, as almost every Sunday night is. I gotta find a way to change the pattern here.

I really tried to change things but I think I did it the wrong way. I noticed that she was having "another" glass of wine and knew it was approaching the point where she would start to turn the corner in terms of her mood. She ALWAYS gets upset/depressed when she drinks a lot and for some reason yet to be told to me, Sunday nights are a time when that usually happens.

I asked her not to have more wine, pointing out to her that it ALWAYS goes badly when she does. She remained calm and assured me she was not going to have much more and that she was in a great mood. I said that she ALWAYS says that and then things go very badly (she gets sick, depressed, etc). After saying this (thought she was going to say I was "daddying" her) I figured she was going to get defensive but she told me she knew how it affected me and that she knew it had to change...and she changed it. Dunno really what that meant but she didn't say she was not going to have her next glass.

After that, it turned out to be a really good convo where among other things, she told me she was feeling great and extremely happy to have found some new friends that are all married and support her in her "bad times". These women all happen to be mothers of kids in my S6's school and soccer team. I like most of them but even the one I don't is ok. I am REALLY glad to see her happy about the prospect of her social life away from the family and told her that.

Like I said, we had a GREAT convo and at the end of it she said "bed time" and I agreed. I went upstairs and she stayed down to have a smoke. I must have fallen asleep because I looked at the clock and it was an hour later and she was not up to bed. For the record, there was no evidence of any phone calls, etc, but she did end up drinking more and by the time she came upstairs she was totally gone. It was not fun but she finally went to sleep. The only thing that really bothered me other than the tired old routine, was that she said she was upset about "what happened today" and that she wishes she could talk to me about it but couldn't. At that point she was literally almost incoherent so I almost don't think it meant anything. That and the fact that she was with me all day long, I don't know what she could have been talking about. I THINK she was just talking about her depression and such. I don't know. I learned a LONG time ago that when she gets like that, I just do a LOT of listening and things go a lot better.

Bottom line is that while I don't think her drinking is the whole problem, or even a large part of it, it's causing some VERY unwanted tension.

It's strange, I KNOW it's getting better, it really is. The drinking, the relationship, everything IS better but as predicted it's now MY impatience and MY unhappiness that is playing a larger role in things.

This morning, things got worse because I guess I was tired, both in terms of actual fatigue (3 hours of sleep does that to you) and in terms of the sitch and I lashed out at her a bit. She was still in bed and I told her I had to leave in 10 minutes for work, that I would take the kids but I had to leave right then. She got all pissy and stomped around like a child. She was as angry as I've ever seen her, even acting out at the kids. S6 actually asked her what she was so mad at. She calmed down at that point but was still an ass to me (as was I to her...wow, one of the only REAL fights I think we've ever had where both of us are just angry at the other) I guess because I had the nerve to hold her accountable for her own actions. She was still pissed as hell at me when I left with the kids. I managed to go back in (ill advised) to confront her. I asked her why she was treating me like crap when I was trying to help her. Well, she didn't answer me, trying instead to pretend to be nice and have me go away. I did, realizing that the reason she was so pissed at my "help" is because it showed her once again that HER choices and HER actions were causing stress on the entire family. On one hand I felt a LITTLE bad because I could have been UNSUPPORTIVE of her actions/behavior and still been more loving to her. It could have been done with a simple hug when she woke up, before all the fireworks started, in effect saying "Love ya hon, really do but...". On the other hand, I don't really regret how I acted because the message was sent that I won't just sit back and watch this anymore, or actually, I WILL sit back and watch but I won't save her anymore from the consequences of her actions, including MY reaction to them.

I don't think I handled it all that badly but to do it over again, I would have been more supportive of HER instead of just being angry at her actions. I just couldn't do it this morning and I don't really think I should have. She made the bed, now she can lay in it.

As of now, after talking to her on the phone, all seems well. She'll probably appologize and try to make light of it all but I think at some point that will stop working. It already has with me to a certain extent and I actually think it is with her too. I just don't know what it will take for her to "hit bottom" enough to do the REAL work of changing this behavior. She knows she needs to and after last night/this morning, she now knows I am not going to be so supportive of her when she does this. We'll see how it goes.

Rob, and all, thank you for your support. I can't stress enough two things. First, you all help me more than you ever know, and second, things ARE going well for me, despite the negative rants I go on from time to time. My PMA is still high and I think there is certainly light at the end of my tunnel.

Thanks again for the support and I will post more when I can.

GH
Posted By: Cupcake Re: Journaling - 09/25/06 06:07 PM
FWIW - here's my thoughts

You will know things are back to normal when you get mad at your W for reasons that ANYONE would get mad about, and you don't second guess everything you did wrong in the exchange. I swear, it has taken me 2 yrs post reconciliation to finally allow myself REAL feelings and REAL ability to just get mad and not worry about what mood that might put my DH in. I truly believe I could have just done this much sooner, but I just didn't.

Just because "things" bad happened in your marriage, she just doesn't have carte blanche freedom to do these things (drinking, etc) without appropriate and understandable reaction from you.

I sound like I am rambling, but sounds like you are still on eggshells around her. this needs to stop, for your own sake and sanity. I did it for much too long, and to be honest, unnecessisarily so.
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 09/26/06 11:27 AM
Quote:

I sound like I am rambling, but sounds like you are still on eggshells around her. this needs to stop, for your own sake and sanity. I did it for much too long, and to be honest, unnecessisarily so.

Actually, this is spot on cupcake. Thank you. Now that you say this, I really think one thing that has changed DRAMATICALLY in my R with my W is that we DO get mad at each other but it doesn't become this festering thing that permeates our R for days. This is especially true for me. I have learned to get angry, express myself and then MOVE ON without having to beat whatever the issue is to death.

That is what happened with all that stuff two nights ago and yesterday morning. By last night we both got it out of our system and were fine. Thanks again for your words, they really helped.

UPDATE:

W was REALLY sick last night. It always happens when she drinks as much as she did Sunday night. I was actually ready for it this time and FINALLY she went to see a doctor who basically said she had Panic Disorder and perscribed a med for that AND a sleep aid which should help a LOT. I can't say how big a step this is. We have been sitting in the doctor's office and walked out so many times. Finally she followed through with it. She was also honest with him about her drinking and he said it played a role in what was happening to her. She needed to hear that.

Anyway, today is a new day and I'll try to be egg shell free!

GH
Posted By: Cupcake Re: Journaling - 09/26/06 02:53 PM
Now THAT is a fabulous turn of events!
Posted By: oldtimer Re: Journaling - 09/26/06 04:56 PM
Hey GH,

That is great news indeed, I'm so happy that she has taken such a big step. A few thoughts from the last few weeks...

-- when your W complains that you abandoned her far too often to take care of the kids herself, you seem to hear that she wanted you to take care of her and "fix" her. I hear that she wanted to continue to have a life outside of being a mother but that you kept her from that by being inconsiderate of her time. That is, she wanted space to be an adult and have friends and other interests, she did not want you to fix her or coddle her.

-- I recommend ignoring this point. For some reason I feel compelled to say it, lol, but it probably isn't very useful for anyone. My guess is that you'll get sex pretty close to six months after she was last with OM, which is the period they tell you these days is pretty safe in terms of STDs.

--Don't let your W dump on you, call her on it. For example, she seems to have been whining a bit about how she can't talk to you. (1) She can talk to you and is hurting you both and your R by withholding that kind of intimacy. (2) Whatever "happened" on Sunday which she did not tell you about is the real problem that is causing her distress and is likely a result of her own actions, again it is not your fault.

--Stop cleaning up your W's life messes caused by her drinking. She needs to clean up after herself.

--Maybe time for some directness -- "W, I feel scared and insecure when you tell me there are things you can't tell me about. Part of this is because of the A, part of this is because I fear roadblocks to real emotional intimacy between the two of us. I'd really like you to trust me enough to share with me what happened on Sunday."

--It seems like W is really beginning to make some real shifts in her own life, and shifts that are in a positive direction :-) This is really wonderful news and I expect your R will reap the benefits.

Best,
Oldtimer

P.S. I probably won't have time to write back, but I do always check on you :-) I, Newtimer, and Mr. Oldtimer are all doing wonderfully :-)
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 02:47 PM
Thanks cc, ot and cm (there, managed to abbreviate you all!).

To follow up on my last update...

Yes, she saw the doctor and he told her she needed to see her family doctor ASAP. He also prescribed meds for her. She has yet to make an appointment or get her prescription filled. I asked her about it later the next day and she said she was going to do both but I know my W and if she didn't do it by then, she likely isn't.

I didn't really bring it up for the rest of the day. Like OT said, I am not going to take care of this for her. I will support her any way I can but I am no longer going to bug/nag her about it and if the sitch gets to the point where it's causing too much pain to anyone, I will just have to deal with it at that point. I don't think it will but like I said, I have been WAY too hands on in the past.

Yesterday on her own (she saw a commercial for some kind of anti-depressant med) she said "Oh, that's going to be me isn't it. The stay at home housewife/mom that is addicted to anti-depressants for the rest of her life."

I asked her if that was what was bothering her, the stigma (she has ALWAYS said this bothered her). She said not really and changed the subject. I didn't pry anymore but I know it's one of the big reasons she won't do anything about this stuff. That and the worst of me suspects it's because she'll have to quit the drinking if she goes on the meds and she doesn't want to do that.

She also said "What's the use trading one addiction for another one?" I have pointed out to her in the past that there are a lot of non-addictive drugs out there and to talk to a doctor but she refuses to hear me. Once again, I can't keep being daddy to her in all this.

Quote:

-- when your W complains that you abandoned her far too often to take care of the kids herself, you seem to hear that she wanted you to take care of her and "fix" her. I hear that she wanted to continue to have a life outside of being a mother but that you kept her from that by being inconsiderate of her time. That is, she wanted space to be an adult and have friends and other interests, she did not want you to fix her or coddle her.

OT, as always, you come out with something really insightful. I KNEW this but reading it drove it home. It's what I am learning now. She wants be to be considerate of her and her time but not necessarily to "take care of her". I am really getting that message and my response, i.e. actually DOING that has paid off for sure.

Quote:

-- I recommend ignoring this point. For some reason I feel compelled to say it, lol, but it probably isn't very useful for anyone. My guess is that you'll get sex pretty close to six months after she was last with OM, which is the period they tell you these days is pretty safe in terms of STDs.

Point taken. We'll see.

Quote:

--Don't let your W dump on you, call her on it. For example, she seems to have been whining a bit about how she can't talk to you. (1) She can talk to you and is hurting you both and your R by withholding that kind of intimacy. (2) Whatever "happened" on Sunday which she did not tell you about is the real problem that is causing her distress and is likely a result of her own actions, again it is not your fault.

She claims, and I believe her, that nothing happened on Sunday other than her getting REALLY drunk. She was with me all day and almost literally never out of my sight so if there was some phone call or something, it was extremely short. She said she was just rambling on and anyway, what COULD have happened in the amount of time she would have had? Again, I agree. I though it was BS when she said it.

Quote:

--Maybe time for some directness -- "W, I feel scared and insecure when you tell me there are things you can't tell me about. Part of this is because of the A, part of this is because I fear roadblocks to real emotional intimacy between the two of us. I'd really like you to trust me enough to share with me what happened on Sunday."

I have been direct about this before and in terms of "Sunday", see above. She's SEEMED to be much more open in the past month or so, almost totally transparent as they suggest someone trying to reestablish trust after an affair be. It's almost like she's read something because that's how dramatic the change was. She calls all the time when she's out and doesn't seem at all unhappy when I need reassurance about things. It's been kinda nice but of course as the artist formerly known as LBS, I don't 100% trust it yet. Time...time...time.

Quote:

--Stop cleaning up your W's life messes caused by her drinking. She needs to clean up after herself.

Yep. Agree.

Quote:

--It seems like W is really beginning to make some real shifts in her own life, and shifts that are in a positive direction :-) This is really wonderful news and I expect your R will reap the benefits.

Yes and no. She is taking baby steps and that's better than no steps at all. The problem is that she still thinks she can do everything herself. She is totally convinced that everything can be better, her anxiety, drinking, social issues, marriage, fatigue, car problems, etc, if she just wills it to be so. Mind over matter plays a LARGE part in her philosophy. The really positive thing is that she is now seeming to WANT to change and that is big.

I will keep you all posted when I can. For now, things are even, not too up, not too down. I am most afraid of the status quo these days but I'll even accept that so long as she keeps these little changes up. They WILL add up to something much bigger I think.

GH
Posted By: oldtimer Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 03:19 PM
Well, I'm not sure that use of antidepressants would count as an "addiction," but for the sake of argument, why trade one addiction for another? I say you give your W an answer.

An addiction to alcohol:
1) Damages your body.
2) Impairs your judgment causing you to make decisions that hurt yourself, your children, your husband, and your M.
3) Leads to actions that can cause serious injury and death involving yourself, loved ones, and others.
4) Creates and sustains depression.
5) Continues to progress and worsen as a disease over time with devastating consequences.
6) Creates an unstable and unsafe home life for your children.
7) Will probably lead to the end of your M if alcohol continues to be her chosen coping mechanism.
8) Makes one less and less functional in all areas of life over time
9) Makes her look haggard and old.
10) Leads to day-after regrets and hangovers that make one's life a life of lost time, shame, and sorrow.

In contrast, an "addiction" to anti-depressants:
1) Is likely to improve your health as you have more energy to exercise and eat better.
2) Unclouds your thinking, allowing you to make better decisions that affect yourself, your children, your husband, and your M.
3) Help you avoid actions that can cause serious injury and death involving yourself, loved ones, and others.
4) Alleviates depression.
5) May lead to not needing antidepressants at all.
6) Creates a stable and safe home life for your children.
7) Will probably really help make your M the healthy passionate R you both want.
8) Makes one more functional in all areas of life over time
9) Makes her look younger and happier.
10) Leads to a happy, productive life that one can rejoice in.

So, take her question seriously and give her your own list of pros and cons. Maybe she can come up with her own as well.

BTW, there is a difference between not nagging her about the meds or getting them yourself, and directly sharing your reaction to her not getting her meds.

"I am very disappointed and angry that you have not gotten those meds yet. I was very hopeful that you were in a place to move forward on some of your issues. But now, because you have not taken the steps you said you would, I feel very frustrated."

Anyway, please do say something. If you don't, it will come out in some other far less attractive way.

Hugs,
Oldtimer
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 04:07 PM
OT, I am not trying to get you off this by saying I already did everything you say...but I did just about that. I DID answer her in the PAST, SEVERAL times when she would bring up this idea of somehow drinking her problems away was better than perscription medication. I gave her the list of pros and cons. Maybe not as extensive as yours but the gist was the same. She ALWAYS takes such things as me acting like her father, as if ANYTHING I tell her from a position of "I know this and you don't" is somehow condescending. Maybe I come across that way, dunno. She says I do. I am trying in that respect.
This time I would have just been repeating myself and I didn't want to do that. I am tried of saying what the difference between anti-depressants and her current depressant of choice is beyond the obvious that one is taken under medical supervision and the other, well, not.

I have also expressed my frustration at her not getting help, and in this specific case, I left the topic by saying "I am not going to bug you about this. You say you know what you need to do and you now have the tools to do it. It frustrates me that you aren't going to do it. I don't know what else I can do to encourage you. It's up to you now."

I was VERY careful not to be confrontational because that would have done no good. Been there, done that for 10 years and here we are. She accepted what I had to say and still managed to say "I know I need to do it..."

For some reason, she's hinted that her brother who died was into pills of some sort, she's DEAD set against any kind of drugs to help her problems and the more I say about it, the harder her position seems to get. All I can hope for is that she keeps going in the direction she's going in now and that eventually she gets to see someone who can dispell some of the urban myths (as I think most of her info is) that are preventing her from really improving her life.

As it stands, I THINK this will happen but not as quickly as I'd like. Oh well, I am used to being patient and I will do it now too.

That all said, I will take your advice and once again, in a "good" way, try to address at least the doctor's apointment issue with her today if not the meds too. We'll see where that goes.

GH
Posted By: whatisis Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 04:07 PM
Wonderful lists OT!
Often when people are first "diagnosed" as needing anti-depressants there is a feeling of failure and weakness, "Oh, if I was a stronger person I wouldn't need these pills" that is natural. There's also the fear of being dependent on them (funny, they never worry about being "dependent" on alcohol, do they!) and see anti-depressants as some kind of "happy" pill. They aren't, they balance certain chemicals in the brain, that's it.You may not have enough of one or too much of another. They don't get you high! It's just like taking pills for diabetes or any other medical illness. It's also worth noting that the first week or so your W may feel fatigued and that is normal. Her body will need time to adjust to this new chemical intrusion. She also may need to try different ones before finding the one that works for her. I know a number of people who use anti-depressants and put off doing so for years. They now can't believe they put off making their lives so much better for so long due to pride.
GH, I'm sure she's feeling very dejected right now. I know you see the pills as a help in your sitch (and they may very well be) but she is seeing herself as weak and a failure. So, just be aware of this when you encourage her to follow through. Be as patient as you can be here and, yes, maybe validating her feelings right now might be a good move.
Posted By: oldtimer Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 04:14 PM
Quote:

I have also expressed my frustration at her not getting help, and in this specific case, I left the topic by saying "I am not going to bug you about this. You say you know what you need to do and you now have the tools to do it. It frustrates me that you aren't going to do it. I don't know what else I can do to encourage you. It's up to you now."

BRAVO!!!

Now, for an alternative approach to the question she asked, how about: "Honey, I'm wondering what you think are the differences between taking antidepressants to treat an anxiety disorder and using alcohol to cope?" That is, make HER answer the question.

Best,
Oldtimer
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 04:27 PM
Whatis,

This feeling of being a failure is EXACTLY what my W describes. I forgot to use that in my posts, but she says that all the time. She feels that going the drug route is the "looser" route, but somehow the alcohol route (also a drug mind you) is somehow much better...oh, yea, I remember, because with alcohol she can stop whenever she wants...um...never heard THAT before.

I am VERY sensitive to her feelings about this and have actually changed my approach because of it. I am trying VERY hard to validate her fears while at the same time trying to encourage her to get over them and do what she can to help herself. I have said things like "I know it's easy for me to say 'go get the drugs' because it's not me having to take them. It must be scary to think about doing that. All I can say is that if a doctor told me there was some way I could stop some pain I was feeling, I hope I would at least give it a try. Why not just do that? Give it a try and if it turns out to be a bad experience, then do something else. In any event, I know you're scared and I understand."

She responds to these kinds of things but still doesn't do anything.

I will keep trying with the encouragement of you and OT.

GH
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 04:34 PM
Quote:

Now, for an alternative approach to the question she asked, how about: "Honey, I'm wondering what you think are the differences between taking antidepressants to treat an anxiety disorder and using alcohol to cope?" That is, make HER answer the question.

I haven't really asked her that directly but she's volunteered her opinion never-the-less. She's said the difference is that one is something she can do or not do and the other, well, is something "looser-ish", scary and addictive. She is TOTALLY convinced that she can quit drinking any time she wants to. These are either words of truth or words of addiction. The bottom line is that there is SO much more to it but the stigma I talked about with Whatis is really the main problem here. Somehow she thinks as soon as she takes a pill there will be some kind of sign that will appear on her forehead designating her a "weak looser housewife addicted to anti-depressants" whereas since nobody but me knows about her drinking habits, that is the more preferable route. I think even if everyone knew that she drank the way she sometimes does, she would still consider that the more "socially acceptable" way to "treat" this condition she has.

OT, I WILL try. I will not give up on this because she is SO close to getting REAL help for the first time since I have known her. She is SO close to sleeping through the night and not being afraid of being in the house alone. She is SO close to not being depressed and giving herself a chance to live a MUCH less stressful life.

I won't give up but I won't do it for her either.

GH
Posted By: whatisis Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 04:40 PM
Sounds good, GH but maybe just try to validate her feelings. We guys love to bring in the intellectual stuff and fix things. When you say "if the doctor told me..." it kind of reinforces her feelings of being a loser cuz once again she's wrong. I know that's not the intent (and I do it too!) but just a point for you to ponder. Lots and lots of people go through what she is, it's common so she's not alone. I guess, as you said, in her mind having a drink is a choice she makes whereas medication is a necessity. In our society it is much more acceptable to have a few drinks to unwind than to have to, God forbid,take medication for depression. Stigma talks loud. Hang in GH, you're on her side and that will talk even louder in the end.
Posted By: oldtimer Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 04:49 PM
(1) Challenge her on this addiction business, she is playing a tired old FALSE tape in her mind. One can certainly stop using antidepressants, though it is advisable to taper off of them. Once one becomes an alcoholic, stopping is much more difficult than that.

(2) Her answer is a cop out. Push more, -- "I agree that it is scary to try something new. But what difference do you think it would make to how you feel, to your health, to your children, to your functioning -- how do you think using alcohol versus using antidepressants to cope would affect YOUR LIFE?"

BTW, at some point you need to get back to figuring out what YOUR boundary is on this.... Personally, I would not stay with someone who would not try to get help for a debilitating condition that hurt me and my children and chose instead to engage in selfish, destructive behavior to avoid the pain.

Best,
Oldtimer
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 05:05 PM
Quote:

BTW, at some point you need to get back to figuring out what YOUR boundary is on this.... Personally, I would not stay with someone who would not try to get help for a debilitating condition that hurt me and my children and chose instead to engage in selfish, destructive behavior to avoid the pain.

Well, this is NOT to say it's right, but she has not really changed much since the day I met her in most of the things I talk about. Does that make me destructive to have married her, and had kids with her? Maybe. Maybe I wanted to save her, I don't know, but I do know that I am a LONG way from my boundary in terms of these things. I don't plan on living this way forever, but I do plan on living the way I am personally living, with all that i have learned over the past year, and I am willing to see if that makes a difference in our overall sitch. If not, and that is clear to me, then it's time to think about other outcomes. I KNOW I can't fix her. I am just trying to fix myself and then live the best I can. I hope she chooses to do the same and if my leading by example can help, then I will certainly do it.

As for your #1, like I said, anytime I try to present her with info like this, she puts up her wall. It's part of how our relationship has gone thus far and something that I want to change but for now it's not.

The fact about #2 is that she doesn't know and in terms of #1 & #2, that's why I want her to see a doctor and really get the facts about all this. Coming from someone else, I think it may sink in. Coming from me, it's just more of the same "anti-drinking/drugs" stuff from me she's heard a million times throughout our marriage.

GH
Posted By: oldtimer Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 06:07 PM
Quote:

The fact about #2 is that she doesn't know ...

Oh come on, yes she does. She isn't stupid. But, she may be afraid or avoiding what the difference looks like. The point is to get her to really think about the question FOR HERSELF, rather than dismissing it in an offhand manner by appealing to one of oft-played empty pieces of rhetoric.

"Honey, I'm not real sure what the REAL differences would be once you were passed understandable fears about trying somethijng new. What do YOU think the differences would be in terms of your life, happiness, and relationships if you coped for awhile using antidepressants versus using alcohol during that time?"

Notice, I did not say ABusing.... Tempting though it is, that is just piling on judgment.

BTW, is it really fair to your W not to let her know that in the long-term it is a dealbreaker for her not to try to work on her issues in a more productive manner than using alcohol. You are setting yourself up to be a WAS yourself -- not telling her what your boundaries are but preparing mentally in the distant future to leave if she violates them.

Best,
Oldtimer
Posted By: frank_D Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 08:25 PM
This was in todays daily e-mail from the 'makingherhappy' website, which I encourage all men to subscribe to:

"A woman knows, instinctively, without ever being told, as a result of biological development through the ages, that if a man can't stand up TO her, he cannot stand up FOR her."
Posted By: frank_D Re: Journaling - 09/28/06 08:33 PM
You know, I was kind of in her same place - could stop drinking in the evenings 'any time' and did't want to be labeled a 'loser' for taking anti depressants.

Two things my counselor said made a difference.

First, she pointed out to me that our brains are complex chemical systems, like any other part of our bodies are. If we had an ulcer we'de take medicine. If we had cancer we'de get treatment. So, why is it that if we have depression - which is just another PHYSICAL ailment of our bodies that has a psychological side effect, why don't we get 'medicine' for it?

Second, alcohol is a drug. It happens to be capable of high levels of physical addiction. We NEED it after a while. Doesn't thaty PISS you off? It pisses ME off that my 'fun' drink became addictive.

Alice Cooper once said in an interview that he drank a lot before and during concerts, but one day he was drinking a lot and realized that his 'fun' had become 'medicine'. And he quit drinking alcohol. Just like that.

Yes, she CAN quit anytime. Just like I could. The question is when will she be PISSED OFF enough at this substance, and how she has allowed it to get such a level of control, of NEED in her life.

A strong personality like mine, and like hers, can get to the point to where you'll decide that you WILL NOT allow your body and brain tobe 'sick' and addicted, and that you will take care of healing yourself by not drinking for 90 days, which is the least amount of time it takes to break an addiction.

For me, it's almost a year. And it was because I was pissed. No AA, no 12 steps. I am in control of my life and my body was ill, so I took care of it.

Try explaining this to her. Ask her if she want's control. And, does she listen to Alice Cooper?
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/03/06 03:56 AM

GH
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/03/06 04:25 AM
Yes, it does and I will expand tomorrow. Gotta get some sleep now.

GH
Posted By: Mamabear Re: Journaling - 10/03/06 11:04 AM
(((((GH)))))

Wow!!! I am SO happy for you. You can finally give your hand a rest - hee hee
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/03/06 01:37 PM
Ok, THAT was uncalled for, lol.

I have a little time and I will try to keep this as un-graphic as possible.

Basically, OT, as I have known all along, you and PM were right. It took me just stepping up and DOING something rather than waiting for her to somehow invite me in so-to-speak.

Yesterday/last night was probably one of the most unlikely days for this to happen since I had a TERRIBLE day and a headache for most of the afternoon/evening. I was in a bad mood but tried not to take it out on W or kids.

At some point in the night, just before bed I just blurted out something that I would like to do to my W in a playful way. Before that, there was really nothing much going on. She laughed it off but I didn't stop. I kept going, getting more descriptive. She kept giggling but didn't really do much more. I was on the couch, she was in the kitchen and from there we went to bed.

As we got into bed I said "So, how about it?" (obviously there was more to it but I don't really want to get into THAT much detail.

She said (since it was about midnight by then) "Oh sure, take the day off tomorrow and we'll stay up until 2-3."

Of course I said "SURE!"

She laughed because she knew I couldn't do that today (we have a trainer in and I can't miss the training). But I did say I would take the kids to school and let her sleep in, all she had to do was -------. I persisted. She said something like "I haven't said no yet..." and from there, I just, well, I just did PM, OT and all the rest of the women telling me to just "do it" VERY proud.

One thing I made SURE to do was to kiss her a LOT. At one point she started crying and said "You never kissed me like this, ever. It's all I ever wanted you to do and you never did. All this time, it's all you had to do. I thought there was something wrong with me, that I wasn't sexy or something."

Of course I made SURE she knew that wasn't true both by words and actions. I told her how incredibly hot she was and that any lack of kissing/affection in the past was on me because I now know what I was missing.

There were also a LOT of tear filled ILY's and many other loving things said by her. It was almost like a gush that she's been holding in for a long time. That was as nice as the physical part and really seemed from the heart.

I won't go on and on but I do think this was not an isolated event. We are going on a 4 day working trip together without the kids starting Thursday so we'll see.

I DO NOT have any expectations. I have been here too long not to know that it's possible that she may pull back but I THINK I am ready for that IF it happens. NO EXPECTATIONS.

Of course, I think this is a major turning point but the real work begins now. As I always said, I just want the chance to prove to her how much I now understand, and also that I am willing to keep learning about me, her and us. I want to build romance, passion and intimacy into our entire life. She has to FEEL that, and I think she will.

For her part, I can also say that her, um, behavior last night was different that it used to be. I won't dwell on it but it was VERY nice and she really showed a capacity for affection that has never really been there before.

Thank you for all your support during the MANY days, weeks and months when I didn't think this day would ever come.

I just hope I can put all you have taught me into practice now and REALLY start to save my marriage.

GH
Posted By: toughlover Re: Journaling - 10/03/06 01:53 PM
COOL! Man what I wouldn't give for the same thing (er, from my W that is).
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/03/06 03:24 PM
Thanks guys.

It's funny, last night I learned more about my W and what makes her TRULY happy than the past 10 years combined. It seems SO simple now that I know but for some reason, either my stubbornness or her lack of communication, I never got the message. Now I have it loud and clear and plan to listen VERY well. It's really sad how obvious this stuff is yet somehow I failed to either notice or act on it (BTW, same goes for her too).

One other thing that occurred to me as I have been posting over the past few weeks is that most of what I am now posting about are the actual core issues of my marriage, NOT anything having to do with the affair, etc. Looking back, that is REALLY nice, and I think what we all hope to do eventually. Isn't the whole point of DB to give us the ability to move past the surface issues, mainly the affairs, and get to the real problems underlying the immediate concerns.

Her drinking, my anger, the daily stress, my travel/being gone all the time, her unhappiness at missing out on certain career opportunities, etc, etc, etc, are all things we have been talking about, working on and making progress with. That has not been the case for several years now and I just realized it.

Things ARE good right now and I mean to do everything I can to keep myself happy, contribute to her happiness and do the best I can to make my marriage one of the success stories.

GH
Posted By: PArob Re: Journaling - 10/03/06 05:20 PM
You GO my man!

Quote:

One other thing that occurred to me as I have been posting over the past few weeks is that most of what I am now posting about are the actual core issues of my marriage, NOT anything having to do with the affair, etc

Interesting observation and, in hindsight, you are absolutely correct. Obviously on some level you both have turned a corner and are now focusing on the core relationship issues. Keep up the good work!
Posted By: NotMarried Re: Journaling - 10/04/06 12:55 AM
WHOO-HOO for you!!!

Posted By: PositivelyListening Re: Journaling - 10/04/06 05:26 AM
Geez, GH, I haven't checked in on you in a while, but I guess I know when to show up. Just when the story is reaching the climax Oh, sorry bad joke. But GH, I mean really WOW. I am so so happy for you. I do think you are right, you have been focusing on the core issues of your M, and you have had a breakthrough. Even if there is a little back pedaling or whatever next, this is a breakthrough and you are on the healing road. I am so happy for you. And you are once again an inspiration to all of us. Patience, persistence, doing the personal work, all paying off. You are awesome GH. Thanks for giving all of us some more hope today. One day more than anything I hope I have in my thread Thanks for going there. And if I'm not back here before then, have a great several days away with W on Thursday too. That is awesome. Time for the two of you. This is all so good. Keep it up GH. Oh sorry, another bad joke. It has been a while, be tolerant of me LOL
Posted By: believing_isaiah43 Re: Journaling - 10/04/06 11:44 AM
I'm so happy (and envious of your newly-discovered emotional connection) that it made me all weepy this a.m. to read your news.

What a wuss I am. Thanks for sharing what you did/could with us about this milestone. I'm all happy for you and melancholy for me (ah, my selfish self). MC today in about 45 minutes, thank God. Please keep us updated on this progress, I'm so grateful for success stories like yours. You have worked long and hard to cross this line, and it by no means came without great effort on your part. I am so proud of you (and your W, for stepping out of the comfort zone).
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/04/06 03:00 PM
Thank you all again.

This is starting to feel like I won an Oscar or something...and I'd like to thank all the people who made this possible...lol.

Seriously, thank you all for your unwavering support. I am not out of the woods yet but I THINK that may be just my own mind playing tricks on me. No matter how well adjusted to the new reality of my life post-affair I think I am, I am still plagued by paranoia and general mis-trust of certain things in life. I don't know how long it will be before that leaves me but for now, I am VERY freaking happy to be where I am in my sitch and if it all goes to hell in a hand basket tomorrow, well, it won't be for lack of trying.

Once again, without all of you, I would NOT have been able to last this long and even though I am not posting as much as I used to, I use your strength DAILY, HOURLY and by the minute to get me through the worst of times that unfortunately still occur now, even if only in my head.

GH
Posted By: superstressed Re: Journaling - 10/04/06 05:59 PM
GH,

Yay for you!

Now, what I really want to know: when do you get to do it again?

SuperStressed
Posted By: oldtimer Re: Journaling - 10/04/06 08:41 PM
GH,

I'm very happy for you :-) To emphasize one thing, that you already recognize but shouldn't forget, this was a big breakthrough FOR YOU, putting PM into action. Very good news, it worked! Remember remember! See how much you do/don't do really does affect what happens in your R? *You* are powerful.

As for advice, in your time away, please press your wife up against the wall or side of a building in a public, yet perhaps discrete, place, put your hands in her hair, and kiss her soundly for *at least* a good 30 seconds.

Best,
Oldtimer
Posted By: wedge Re: Journaling - 10/04/06 09:39 PM
I am very happy for you oh strong-legged one
Posted By: always_14 Re: Journaling - 10/05/06 11:59 PM
Well, well, well....YAY for you!!!!
Posted By: whatisis Re: Journaling - 10/06/06 12:45 AM
GH, with the endless congrats, I'm getting tired of your sex life already ! Oh hell, we're all now living our sex lives vicariously through you ... and I'm feeling frisky tonite, big guy. Go get me some!
Posted By: RBinBR Re: Journaling - 10/06/06 08:48 PM
GH, I'm so happy for you. I think you have probably now pushed OM out of her head, and that's a big thing.
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/09/06 12:08 PM
Hey all. Back from Minnesota w/ wife and no kids. As it was a working weekend away there really wasn't much time or energy for anything "extra" but we did have a good time.

OT, as for pressing her up against the wall, etc, she's kinda back to being weird about kissing again. The fact is that it's likely going to be that way for awhile especially since I now know how much NOT kissing bothered her. I think she just doesn't think I want to do it still, as if I am just doing it to please her. She will learn but until then I will just keep SHOWING her what I want to do until she does.

Thank you all for your encouragment. It's almost like I have my own cheerleading squad in the bedroom!

GH
Posted By: PArob Re: Journaling - 10/09/06 12:25 PM
Quote:

It's almost like I have my own cheerleading squad in the bedroom!

Dude, I am NOT wearing a cheerleading skirt for you no matter how much I like you

Keep up the good work!
Posted By: PositivelyListening Re: your cheerleaders - 10/09/06 12:26 PM
Quote:

Thank you all for your encouragment. It's almost like I have my own cheerleading squad in the bedroom!

Well yes, you do!! But try not to think about that while you're there. You'll bust up laughing right in the middle and your wife will think ???
Posted By: grasshopper Re: your cheerleaders - 10/09/06 12:39 PM
Give me a T...
Give me a I...
Give me a....

Ok, you're right. I can't start down this path or I will be in SERIOUS trouble the next time anything starts to happen.

W: Honey, what are you looking at?
M: Nothing (kissing her).
W: No, I swear you were looking at something over there.
M: Well, I guess I was. You see, there are these people dressed in cheerleading outfits over there rooting me on.
W: Um...is this some desperate way you came up with to tell me you'd like me to wear a cheerleading cosutume to bed?
M: Um...no...it's just that there are all these people we don't really know that are so happy I "got some" and now I have this vision of them in my head, all dressed up as cheerleaders, doing little cheers everytime I make a move.
W: Get off me you strange, strange man...I knew you changed but this is a little weird even for the "new you"...

GH
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/09/06 12:45 PM
I'm starting to get visuals and where Rob is concerned, that may not be good. The rest of you, well...we'll see what I can come up with. Needless to say, I may have sabatoged myself through all this. Once all is said and done, I may need the little blue pill to, uh, get things going again, lol.

Then again, I'm sure many of you would look fantastic in a cheerleading uni...

GH
Posted By: PArob Re: Journaling - 10/10/06 11:56 AM
Okay, this is a bit out there, but years ago, there was this little movie called Kentucky Fried Movie which was basically a movie of SNL type skits....one of them that was pretty funny (and appropriate perhaps to this sitch) was one with the sex olympics...basically involved a couple of sports commentators calling the "moves" of a couple. LOL that's what this whole thing has morphed into for me. If you've seen the movie, you can relate. If not, well the cheerleading thing works too.

Okay, I'm done commenting on your life!
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/10/06 12:12 PM
Guy, KFM was/is one of my all-time favs! I like the Enter the Dragon skit. Anyway, yes, enough of all that.

My biggest problem, and it's a pretty good one to have (assuming there isn't something I don't know...damn that paranoia) is that things are TOO normal, i.e. just like they were one or two years ago when all this supposedly started in my W's head. I am fighting to break the old cycles and I THINK it's working but it's hard not to be afraid "normalcy" when it seemed like that's what got us here in the first place.

I think by virtue of all we have gone through, and at least my growth, should make it impossible to ever go back to the "old" marriage but I still guard against that daily. It's a struggle to say the least.

GH
Posted By: Mamabear Re: Journaling - 10/10/06 12:36 PM
GH,
This is where I am right now too. (BTW, I have moved over to the piecing threads). Everything seems back to normal, is this good? Although I don't believe that it can be the same as it was because I am not the same as I was pre-bomb. I do not take my H or our R for granted anymore. I am more spontaneous and happy. Because of my new job, I now have more adult friends, some of which I introduced my H to this past weekend. This past weekend I also initiated , which is something I haven't done in years. So I guess what I am trying to say for you is that things really aren't the same because you are no longer the same. Anyway, I'll take "normal" any day over what we had this past year.
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/10/06 12:49 PM
Quote:

This past weekend I also initiated , which is something I haven't done in years.

So does that mean you are x2 in the ML department? I guess I am greedy because until I get the second under my belt I won't really believe it wasn't just a weak moment from an otherwise abstaining woman. I know that's cynical but...

So, you move your thread. I can't bring myself to do that. I guess it's just the comfort of the people I know here. Maybe I should move eventually too.

GH
Posted By: PositivelyListening Re: Journaling - 10/10/06 01:14 PM
Well, GH, we will come with you, even if you start piecing Which I believe you are doing, correct? I am proud of you. And I as part of your loyal cheerleading squad, look forward to hearing about the x2 and x3 and on and on until it's such a normal occurence you don't remember what it's like NOT to... Anyway, GH, I just want to say that it might be healthy for you to let go of "Infidelity" as the cornerstone of your sitch, and to take on that your R is evolving. BTW, I am very proud of all the work you have done. Keep at it. The P/A thing you have struggled with is NASTY if you are on the other side. My birth mother was P/A with me last week, wanted something and couldn't be straight with me about it. Makes me not want to be around her. So don't ever let "normal" take you back there. So what would it look like to have "normal" be a little "spicy" once in a while? Bring some surprise in to your life tonight, K? Rooting for you, as always.
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/10/06 01:16 PM
Just to let ya'll know, I am probably going to move to piecing when this thread locks or before if I get my "sign". I think almost a year is enough time spent here and while I will still be around here a lot, I think my own thread needs to reflect the state I HOPE my sitch is in.

GH
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/10/06 01:18 PM
Funny PL, we cross posted, you encouraging me to move on and me saying I was going to. Yes, it is time to let go of the affair. Actually, it's only when I post here that i really reflect on that part of my sitch. It's relativly gone from my daily thought. Now I am focused on making sure the next phase keeps us moving onward and upward!

Thanks for the cheer!

GH
Posted By: Tiara Boy (CM) Re: Journaling - 10/10/06 01:40 PM
GH. I look to your thread for inspiration. Thank you!!
Posted By: Delil@h Re: Journaling - 10/10/06 02:50 PM
GH....

I started to read a little of your last posts ((SAW your first post in piecing)))) and I am interested in reading more,, One question I would like to ask you and you can answer me when you have time... How long did it take you to let the "OP" and a thoughts be gone? I have forgiven and to be perfectly honest my M is better than ever but the "OW" and thoughts of the affair still haunt me not daily anymore but enough for me to want to ask for your insight...
Thank you and sorry for the hijack...
God bless...
Posted By: Delil@h Re: Journaling - 10/10/06 03:24 PM
GH thank you for your post it was beautiful.. It made me cry a good cry ... I look forward to getting to know you.
God bless....
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/10/06 04:11 PM
Ali, I seriously dunno how I got past that, or honestly if I really am. All I can say is that at some point I just stopped thinking about him/them/the affair every minute...then every hour...then a day past and the next day I realized that I didn't think about it all the previous day.

I hate to use your sitch to answer your question, but looking at what you say about your H's tattoo, I think if there were something like that, constantly reminding me of my W's OM, I'd probably have a much harder time.

That said, all I can say is that you just have to let the new, better thoughts being produced by your "new" marriage take the place that those terrible thoughts have occupied for too long in your head. I guess what I am saying is that part of it must be an active choice by you to let go.

I know there was a point in my ordeal I realized that I actually enjoyed (for lack of a better word) the pain, suffering, anger, etc. I felt entitled to it because of what she'd done. When I realized that, I also realized that it was a sickness of sorts to cling to those negative feelings just because they'd become comfortable. I guess I did start to force myself to stop wallowing in the misery and start reveling in the new happiness I found, both with myself and within my marriage.

Maybe you just need to do the same. Maybe you need to reject the comfort that the pain holds for you and take the risk of feeling truly happy again. It's a HUGE risk for us because once we allow ourselves to feel that way in the company of our S's, we risk everything again, but hell, life's a risk anyway so why not.

GH
Posted By: Delil@h Re: Journaling - 10/12/06 10:06 PM
Maybe you just need to do the same. Maybe you need to reject the comfort that the pain holds for you and take the risk of feeling truly happy again. It's a HUGE risk for us because once we allow ourselves to feel that way in the company of our S's, we risk everything again, but hell, life's a risk anyway so why not.

You know you may be on to something there,,, I AM afraid to let go of the pain some b/c my husband seems to knock the wind out of me when I am really happy by doing something awful.......
BTW... a light went on in my head when I realized that yes looking at her name every morning and every night when he wants to snuggle.. or even laying on that side of his body and he puts my head on her name basically.. I feel as though she is in the room with me... The tattoo is on his chest.

If only my H knew how much it hurt.

I did mention my hurt the other day and he said I know I am sorry.... But he can not really know the pain.

and BTW to totally hijack your thread can you help me with a question? I will post it in my thread.

And thank you for your post it helped alot.
God bless...
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/13/06 01:50 PM
BTW Ali, I was not aware of some of the things going on in your sitch. As I posted on your thread, some of what your H is doing makes is VERY hard to "just be happy" but I still think you can. You simply need to do more of what you have been doing and that is remaining calm and asserting your right to be treated as an equal, not someone to cut down on a daily basis to make H feel better.

You should not have to suffer that.

GH
Posted By: Delil@h Re: Journaling - 10/13/06 07:41 PM
I wanted to stop by and personally thank you for your kind words your way of thinking is so wonderful,,, I do not know you well yet,, but from the advice you gave me you seem to be a beautiful, caring human being. I hope, and I am sure that with all your new knowledge your wife and you will celebrate many, many years together.

It is amazing how something this painful turns out beauty when we harness it and learn from it...
God bless...
Posted By: grasshopper Re: Journaling - 10/14/06 03:23 AM
Thank you Ali. You are too kind. I guess my fate is that I am a much better writer of posts online than I am man in the flesh. I AM a good man but somehow the moment often leaves me unable to communicate or act as I would like. I have anger issues. I have intimacy issues. I am childish and difficult at times but at the end of the day, I hope I am growing past some of that and with the help of you all, and also by helping you all, I believe I am.

GH
Posted By: grasshopper Wow, still alive here! - 10/31/06 04:01 PM
All,

This seems a bit too much like tooting my own horn for my taste but a lot of people seemed to like this post of mine from piecing and I thought I would post it on my thread here too in case it can help someone else here.

---------from my thread in Piecing--------

Ok, this is something I was thinking about this weekend.

It seems to me that failure to succeed in saving a marriage can usually come in two flavors. First, that the WAS is already too far gone/committed to leaving the marriage. The second, and from my perspective, by far the most common, is the fact that the LBS is as much a WAS as the WAS is...let me explain.

So many times on these threads we see people decrying what their spouses did to them and how they just can't seem to get past it, to forgive them their trespasses. They keep saying "But she broke her vows. She f--ked another man" as if that somehow gives then exclusive dominion over the choice to leave the marriage. It's almost like the WAS flipped a switch, starting an inevitable process that ends in divorce, or at least that's how many LBSs seem to portray their feelings about the sitch. They feel that things are irreparable when in fact they are not.

The simple, inescapable fact is that for most, and I stress MOST WASs, the end of the marriage is at least as justified (and thus the affair) or MORE justified due to the months/years of "broken" vows THEY feel WE broke. Remember, the one about sleeping with another man/woman is not the only vow exchanged although many of us would like to think it is, or at least the most important of them. Many LBSs think it is the most important but when you stack two or three of them together, say loving, honoring, cherishing, in good times and bad, etc. then that one about forsaking all others seems to be out-gunned from the perspective of the WAS. All of a sudden, for the WAS, forsaking doesn't seem so bad when you feel unloved, un-cherished and not honored in the least, let a lone respected.

Sure, there are your cheaters who cheat just because they can, and for the LBSs of those exceptions to the rule, I doubt this site, these books, or anything else here will be of much help. For the rest, the marriage saving techniques we talk about here and try to practice COULD be the difference between two WAS's walking away from each other (because when a LBS gives up on the marriage, in essence not living up to that vow of "for better or worse", they become a WAS too) and two people, having made mistakes working toward saving something that was once worth everything in the world to each of them.

I thought of all this when I was shooting a wedding over the weekend and for the 7-8th time in the last two months, I witnessed two people exchanging vows. I heard how each vow seemed to carry weight, and how as each one was said, the bride cried more and more, the groom smiled more and more. Each vow was a piece in their marital puzzle and I sincerely think they meant all of them, not just that one we talk most about here. I saw them ACT like they meant each one as the day went on, as he opened doors for her, as she held him and loved his embrace, as they fed each other at the reception and dedicated songs to one another. I saw such love, honor, cherishing and dedication from each of them that I realized that take any of those components away and it would be noticed by at least one of them, if not both.

Something has been taken away in our marriages. We were hurt beyond our ability to express but we CANNOT forget that our spouses were hurt too, probably long before we were and whether we agree or not, they fully believe our transgressions of the pact of marriage, in the form of broken vows, gives them as much right to vacate the marriage as we think their infidelity does us.

We are not right any more than they are, nor are we necessarily in more pain than they are. We are simply on the receiving end of the broken vow with the highest visibility and worst PR spin.

Bottom line is that you either want to save your marriage or not. You can't control whether your spouse does or not. Obviously they cheated on you, or at least had an EA at this point so they are leaning the other way. You either want to nudge them back your way or the other, it's your choice but please realize that at some point, it IS your choice to make. You HAVE to decide one way or the other because to make no decision, to committ to doing nothing is the worst affront to yourself you can make.

Lastly, and maybe most offensivly, that part about them sleeping with another women/man being the deal breaker...sorry to be so rude/crude/heartless but I have never seen so many virgin brides/husbands in my life than those gathered here. Come on people, they slept with people before you and as long as they come back clean (as OT and others will tell you, get that part confirmed if you can), there really is no difference other than they promised they wouldn't do that after they married you...what did YOU promise them?

I can't say in the end if your efforts will be successful if you do all this DB stuff but what I can say is that if you don't decide you want to save your marriage, and committ to doing whatever you can to achieve that goal, you won't be successful in doing so.

Just remember this last thing; by choosing to save your marriage, you are really choosing to save yourself first.

GH
Posted By: osu43130 Re: Wow, still alive here! - 10/31/06 04:57 PM
That was awsome GH. Very well put. I know I have broke some of my Vows but you are right by saying that the Ifidelity one was the most noticable. You are right that everyone focuses on it too much. However I believe the thing that is the worst is that the trust was broken by the lieing and cheating. I believe that is going to be the hardest thin to repair. I would take my W back in a heart beat because I love her so darn much. However it is going to be a long and hard road to fix everything that we as a "Couple" have broken.

Thanks again for posting the GH it was very well written.
OSU
© DivorceBusting.com