Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2301309 11/20/12 02:26 PM
C
cat04 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Well, a usual tradition around here is sharing recipes.

I haven't seen any of the oldtimers do this yet and I know the Thanksgiving Holiday is only two days away but I have decided to share anyway.

I found this recipe last week and am planning on making it for breakfast on Thanksgiving, something easy and simple to keep the masses at bay while dinner is making the house smell wonderful...

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Make new memories, share old ones. Keep traditions and find what you are thankful for this year.

Crumb Topped Cranberry Eggnog Muffins

(Makes 12 muffins)

For the muffins:

2 cups flour

3/4 cups sugar

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg

3/4 cup eggnog

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup fresh cranberries

For the crumb topping:

1/2 cup sugar

5 tablespoons flour

1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pans with paper liners. Now you’re ready to make the muffin batter. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and nutmeg. In a medium bowl, combine the egg, eggnog, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Add this wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until just combined. Gently stir in the cranberries.

To make the topping, combine the sugar, flour, and nutmeg in a small bowl; whisk to blend. Add the butter pieces and cut them in with a pastry blender or a fork until the texture resembles wet sand.

Next, fill the lined muffins tins 3/4 full of batter. Then top with crumb topping. Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

"Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is and there's got to be a way through it."--Michael J. Fox
cat04 #2302046 11/23/12 04:01 PM
C
C
Thanks Cat

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

I ate too much but isnt that what it is all about! smile smile smile

Me-70, D37,S36
Cadet #2302516 11/26/12 01:40 AM
B
B
Yum I will save this for Christmas week.

I will post some fun recipe too. I love sharing ideas.

----
M 39
H 35
D5,D4
M 4
T 9
ILYBNILWY 5/18/11
Left 7/11/11
Divorced 12/1/13

S
S
Hey Cat!

Thanks for this recipe and the others. smile

One of my Thanksgiving traditions is to make cranberry bread, a favorite of the family. It was very time consuming though to wash and chop up the cranberries. Sometimes the bread came out a little dry.

Now, instead of using raw whole cranberries, I use canned whole cranberry jelly. It makes the bread so much moister. I don't use quite as much of it as the raw cranberry.

Everyone likes the bread even better.

I'm going to try it with your recipe for muffins. Will let everyone know how it worked out.

Thanks for starting this thread!

M
M
Oatmeal-Coconut-Chocolate Chunk Cookies

2 cups packed brown sugar

2 cups sugar

1 cup shortening

3/4 cup butter, softened

4 eggs

2 tsp vanilla extract

3 cups all-purpose flour

2 tsp salt

2 tsp baking soda

3 cups long cooking oats

2 cups sweetened flaked coconut

2 cups chocolate chunks semi-sweet

1 cup chopped pecans

Beat sugars, shortening and butter with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat until combined. Combine flour, salt, and baking soda. Add to sugar mixture, blending well. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Drop dough by 2 tablespoonfuls onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350 degrees 12 to 14 minutes. Let cool 3 minutes on baking sheets;remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.

That is the recipe as written. I made them by the one tablespoon full, and had to bake them a few minutes longer. Just take them out when they are golden brown. Made over 6 dozen.

C
cat04 Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Those sound really good.

I had a bit of an issue with cookies last Christmas (they were all my favorites) so I am trying to stay away from that this year.

I will be posting some more recipies this week hopefully.

And where is everyone else?

Do we have a bunch of Scrooge's this year?

On another note, I was doing some research last night about my elderly dog. She has been acting very strangely.

I think she is developing the dog form of Alzheimers. Can you believe that there is actually a version of this for dogs?

It is called Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome. She has been exhibiting many of the physical symptoms for a long time and is starting to show some of the behaviorial issues. And other days, she is like a puppy.

Anyway, just sharing because, well, I am smile

"Acceptance doesn't mean resignation. It means understanding that something is what it is and there's got to be a way through it."--Michael J. Fox
cat04 #2306345 12/11/12 04:28 PM
C
C
Originally Posted By: cat04
And other days, she is like a puppy.

Maybe she has childhood issues? wink

Me-70, D37,S36
Cadet #2306657 12/12/12 05:12 PM
M
M
Just wanted to post at 12:12, on 12/12/12

Mach1 #2306769 12/13/12 01:59 AM
A
AJM Offline
A
Cape Cod Glazed, Cranberry Orange Cake
8 tbl spoons unsalted butter
1 C granulated sugar
2 lg eggs
2 tsp orange zest
1.5 C all purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
.5 tsp salt
1/3 cup orange juice
2 C frozen or fresh cranberries

Ingredients for glaze
8 tbl spoons unsalted butter
3 tbl spoons orange juice
1/3 C sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Combine eggs and orange zest with sugar and butter mixture until light. Mix dry ingredients together, set aside. Stir juice and cranberries into butter/egg mixture then fold in dry ingredients just until mixed. Bake in a well greased and floured 9 in tube pan at 350 until cake springs back when lightly touched - don't over bake (about 40-45 minutes in my oven).

Melt together the glaze ingredients. When cake comes out and is still hot, pour glaze over it. Let cake cool 1 hour before removing from pan.

Notes: to keep from over cooking, keep a close eye on the cake. remember it will continue to cook in the pan once removed. A toothpick should come out clean, but not much more than that else the cake will be dry with a beautiful glaze smile

Merry Christmas!

AJ

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" MLK
Put the glass down...
"Yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world
Today I am wise, so I am changing myself."
cat04 #2306778 12/13/12 02:09 AM
W
WCW Offline
W
Hi cat, I lost my dog a little over a year ago, he was 15. I think he had the dog version of Alzheimers. His whole life he would walk to the door and bark to go out, but the last few months he would walk to the door and forget to bark, and then pee right there. Other things like that too, he just didn't understand anymore. I still miss him a lot, and it was just last week I finally gathered enough emotional strength to take his old blanket out and burn it. I cried like a baby the whole time.

The recipes all sound so yummy!

Live your life while you are still living.
Riding the trail less traveled.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard