Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
#2481625 08/22/14 01:36 PM
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Interview went really, really well. I will post more later. I haven't received an official job offer, but feel confident. Money is on the high side of the range, but the relocation allowance is ridiculously small. Have lots to think about.

Some of the areas we saw were beautiful and exactly what I've dreamed about...others, not so much. Drove around Syracuse and D20 was really impressed. Had some good conversations in the car. I was overwhelmed by some changes in her and how she relates to D11. We were back to a solid team.

Also, had a long, firm conversation with my mom before I left. Set up some much-needed boundaries and put my truth out there. It felt good.

I'm glad I went and I'm a bit dreamy that it all really happened. Took my old Jeep to Detroit last weekend and New York's North Country and we are safely home. God is Great. I have something like 50 bucks in the bank. Will figure it out.

Quote:

Boss All clear?
Fifth All clear, boss.
Boss (unfolding big map across table; talking carefuly) Right ... this is the plan then. At 10:45 .. you, Reg, collect me and Ken in the van, and take us round to the British Jewellery Centre in the High Street. We will arrive outside the British Jewellery Centre at 10:50 a of m. I shall then get out of the car, you Reg, take it and park it back here in Denver Street, right? At 10:51, I shall enter the British Jewellery Centre, where you, Vic, disguised as a customer, will meet me and hand me £5.18.3d. At 10:52, I shall approach the counter and purchase a watch costing £5.18.3d. I shall then give the watch to you, Vic. You'll go straight to Norman's Garage in East Street. You lads continue back up here at 10:56 and we rendezvous in the back room at the Cow and Sickle, at 11:15. All right, any questions?
Larry We don't seem to be doing anything illegal.
Boss What do you mean?
Larry Well ... we're paying for the watch.
Boss (patiently) Yes...
Larry (hesitating) Well... why are we paying for the watch?
Boss (heavily) They wouldn't give it to us if we didn't pay for it, would they... eh?
Larry Look! I don't like this outfit.
Boss Why not?
Larry (at last feeling free to say what's on his mind) Well, we never break the bloody law.
General consternation.
Boss What d'you mean?
Larry Well, look at that bank job last week.
Boss What was wrong with that?
Larry Well having to go in there with a mask on and ask for £15 out of my deposit account; that's what was wrong with it.
Boss Listen! What are you trying to say, Larry?
Larry Couldn't we just steal the watch, Boss
Boss Oh, you dumb cluck! We spent weeks organizing this job. Reg rented a room across the road and filmed the people going in and out every day. Vic spent three weeks looking at watch catalogues...until he knew the price of each one backwards, and now I'm not going to risk the whole raid just for the sake of breaking the law.
Larry Urr... couldn't we park on a double yellow line?
Boss No!
Larry Couldn't we get a dog to foul the foot...
Boss No!
Reg (suddenly going pale) 'Ere, Boss!
Boss What's the matter with you?
Reg I just thought... I left the car on a meter... and it's...
Boss Overdue?
Reg Yes, Boss.
Boss How much?
Reg (quaking) I dunno, Boss... maybe two ... maybe five minutes ...
Boss Five minutes overdue. You fool! You fool! All right ... we've no time to lose. Ken - shave all your hair off, get your passport and meet me at this address in Rio de Janeiro Tuesday night. Vic - go to East Africa, have plastic surgery and meet me there. Reg - go to Canada and work your way south to Nicaragua by July. Larry - you stay here as front man. Give us fifteen minutes then blow the building up. All right, make it fast.
Larry I can't blow the building up.
Boss Why not?
Larry It's illegal.
Boss Oh bloody hell. Well we'd better give ourselves up then.
Reg We can't, Boss.
Boss Why not?
Reg We haven't done anything illegal.
Cut to film. Exterior of bank. Three bandits rush out with swag etc. One of them stops to talk to camera raising mask off head.
Bandit No I think being illegal makes it more exciting.
Second Bandit Yes, I agree. I mean, if you're going to go straight you might as well be a vicar or something.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

“Focus on what you can do, then do it with all your heart.” Lois Wilson
job Offline
I'm glad you and the girls arrived back home safely. You have a lot to think about. By chance, did you look at some of the rentals while driving around or looked in the local newspaper for rentals? That would give you some idea as to what you would need in the way of a deposit and first month's rent if you accepted the position.

So, you set some boundaries w/your mother...let's see how long it takes her to try to break them. Don't waffle and allow her to do so. She needs to learn to respect you, your life and your decisions.

Sit quietly, the answers will reveal themselves when you least expect them to.
The past is gone, the present is a gift and you need to focus on today, allow the future to reveal itself when it is ready.
B
B
I am in upstate New York right now and it definitely has beautiful areas but also a lot of formally industrial small cities and towns that have seen better days.

Would d20 live with you if you moved or is she going back to school

----
M 39
H 35
D5,D4
M 4
T 9
ILYBNILWY 5/18/11
Left 7/11/11
Divorced 12/1/13

G
G
Glad it went well, Heather. Good news is always exciting. I worked in Syracuse a great deal and at that time loved going to that mall to shop:-) They had a great H&M store before they became more mainstream. Priorities at the time:-)

You do have a great deal to think about and you will make the best choice. And remember, if you decide this isn't *it*, something else IS waiting in the wings.

Have a great day!!!

3 kids
BD 12/15/13 (IDKIILY. )
Rope dropped Cirque du Soleil style
D final 9-9-14
"Some people are born on 3rd base and go through life thinking they hit a triple." Barry Switzer
L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
I am in upstate New York right now and it definitely has beautiful areas but also a lot of formally industrial small cities and towns that have seen better days.

Would d20 live with you if you moved or is she going back to school

Yes, that was a concern...there is this very poor, foreclosed houses, run down properties, etc...element and then, the complete opposite with million dollar homes and affluence on Lake Ontario. Some of it is downright depressing. And, Watertown is not a place I would feel comfortable settling in.

D20 would take the year off and re-enroll, either living on campus or off, next year after taking some classes to raise her GPA...maybe a few classes at Syracuse. Syracuse is within driving distance so she could take a few classes part-time as she works her way back to full-time and I get settled down.

As far as D20 is concerned, I see some real positives. I worry about the long winter and her SAD...BUT, I like that she would be so close to so many universities and she could stay home/go to school while she gets this whole sobriety thing. We drove past the Greek houses at Syracuse and I saw her little eyes light up when she saw a bunch of good-looking frat guys drinking, dangerously, on the edge of a roof. She said, "That's where I'd be." Hmmmmmm...So far, this past six months with money issues and big decisions has matured her. I would want her to continue this trend. I like the idea that she could take some part-time classes at Syracuse and still participate, some, in the Greek activities while having her feet planted at home. I think it may be a good situation for her to become more grown up.

We also talked about her anger, on the long, boring drive, and how I have allowed her to fight my battles. She said that it feels strange now that I'm fighting my own battles. She doesn't know where she fits. It's like she is in transition, just as I am...the more I change, the more she is pressured to make changes in herself.

"You know, it's times like these when I realize what a superhero I am." Tony Stark/Iron Man

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
By chance, did you look at some of the rentals while driving around or looked in the local newspaper for rentals?

The rents within a 10-mile radius of Ft. Drum are really high. It's actually a bit awful to see how they are milking the military families. There are plenty of foreclosed houses and great deals to be had...with the downpayment and good credit...mind you. I could probably get some help...as much as I would hate it...from my dad. Yuck. Don't like the sound of that...not sure.

I think, if they offer me the job...I would ask for at least enough money for a downpayment on a rental. Maybe get settled for about 6 months to a year and, then, look around for a property to purchase. It would give me time to increase my credit.

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
So, you set some boundaries w/your mother...let's see how long it takes her to try to break them. Don't waffle and allow her to do so. She needs to learn to respect you, your life and your decisions.

I need to keep my armor up with lots of prayer/gospel music/continued work on myself...all the stuff I've been doing. Need to stay strong right now.

The nice thing...I am learning what works when I get low. It's gotten to the point that I hum gospel music in my head when I begin to feel myself wavering. It works. Really helped me through the interview. At the end of the first day, the managing editor told me, "You interview really well. It's between you and one other candidate."

Last edited by LoisB; 08/22/14 02:35 PM.

S
S
Otter flinging?????? There's a technique???? Who knew this!!

I love the title smile.

It sure sounds like things are moving along nicely for you. I'm glad you and your girls are back to being a team.

Your attitude is inspiring. Keep it up! (For you, of course....but also for me, lol.... I need the inspiration!)

Fling away, bay bay!

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Quote:
Goals:

1. Put God's Will First. Trust God. Focus on each day as it comes and Take Joy! from each day.
2. Take care of my health (mental and physical).
3. Give my kids the things and time they deserve.
4. Face Each Day's Tasks HONESTLY and Pro-actively. Keep up my ToDo list of things to tackle today and in the near future.
5. Enjoy the contentment with my life that comes from working on the first four goals: travel, fun, friends, family...TAKE JOY!

Specific Sub-Goals:
Have a reliable car I'm proud to drive by Christmas of 2014.
Earn at least $60,000 per year by December, 2015...or sooner.

Old Thread: http://www.divorcebusting.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2478501&page=1

L
LoisB Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Here's what I liked:

They really like me. I'm a breathe of fresh air. There aren't many women in the upper ranks and everyone seemed a bit on the blah side. I think I could shine.

The publishing company is doing all the right things in terms of growth. It's one of the few newspaper publishers that is expanding and growing and moving into new markets. They started some regional publishing magazines last year and the growth in advertising is through the roof for these specialty publications.

It's family owned. A guy, about my age, came home after working as some big-shid in marketing for 3M and is moving and shaking the company. Plenty of potential for me to move up and develop as a web editor/newspaper editor/page design/web page design, etc...

I would be hard-pressed to find another opportunity so suited to my skills, with the ability to develop a new set of skills, I would be the editor of two publications and they are both pretty-much ground-up start ups with lots of support by way of advertising and a million other things. I published my own newspaper for a time and loved, loved, loved it...I hated that I was a one-man-band, however, and, this opportunity would allow me to do all the stuff I love without having to worry about the stuff I hate...selling ads, laying things alone, writing copy alone, etc...

I feel like I would be jumping forward from where I left off. I would sorta pick up where I left off in my career about 12 years ago.

It's the kinda news/feature writing where I excel. They want someone who loves community and is able to find a story around every corner. That's me.

The money isn't awesome, but, I got the serious impression that, if I built circulation, I could rectify that pretty quickly. The new, younger publisher is anxious to put together a solid team and would support me if I prove myself.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard