Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2769787 12/01/17 07:31 AM
M
OP Offline
M
So I finished watching Season 1 of the HBO series "Divorce" last night. I admit, I went into it with a little trepidation as to whether it would be a kind of 'trigger' for me, but the previews I had seen seemed funny, so I envisioned a fairly light-hearted take.

Without giving too much of the plot away, the WW is in the midst of an extended affair when the show starts. She quickly asked for D and plans to go off with OM, but the R with OM fall apart immediately after she requests D. The husband finds out about the A and they together work towards D over the course of the series.

My thoughts -
- The script she gives in episode 1 is so true to what most of us here experienced. I dont think she says ILYBINILWY exactly, but its more or less this. You know how gut-punched he is as its clear he was oblivious for so long. That was a hard watch as it reminded me so much of where I was.

- Unlike how many of us here behave, he did not do ANY begging or pleading or anything. He finds out about the affair and IMMEDIATELY has the locks changed and kicks her out. She gets him to go to counseling, but its clear he is already checked out. On the one hand, Im not sure how realistic it is for the LBH to turn that quickly without any level of begging, pleading, etc. On the other hand, it felt so good seeing him act that way as she almost instantly became re-interested.

- The last comment for now is the acceleration of the legal entities. They begin with mediation and then eventually go through a series of lawyers with ever increasing "viciousness" and cost. It reminded me so much of so many stores of trying to keep things civil only for them to slowly unravel piece by piece.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has seen it and their thoughts.

M
M
Hmmmm... adding it to my 'watch list'... with some caution though. I like the actor not pleading begging etc. I am sure there are folks out there who have done that.

No one is coming to save you!

C
C
Yes - I watched it, although I have to review it as it was a few months ago and it just seemed like I was watching some peoples threads here...

I also am watching "The Affair" on Showtime.

Me-70, D37,S36
C
C
After we separated but were still living together, my W was watching "A Girlfriend's Guide to Divorce." I don't know anything about the show, but I doubt it's true to life. It's probably full of all that "girl power" horsesh1t! Now I wish maybe she'd watched the HBO series.

I also watched the first 3 episodes of Gypsy on Netflix about a bored 40 something woman who pretends to be someone else and sneaks out at night to experience the single life. That one hit waaay too close to home...

Best thing for me to watch these days is Swingers wink

M46 W48
M11 T14
S11 D8
BD: 2016/05/27
In-home separation: 2016/11/23
Nesting: 2017/06/11
W moves out: 2018/01/07
W goes public with OM: 2018/07/12
I ask for a divorce: 2018/12/14
P
P
hmmm.. interesting. I'll have to check it out. Seems a bit like my case. My begging and pleading lasted exactly 10 days and WW and OM's relationship fell apart relatively quickly. Thanks for pointing the show out!

P
P
Originally Posted By: Chris73

Best thing for me to watch these days is Swingers wink

Swingers is the best!! So relevant to many here...

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard