Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
dbpb Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Went to my 45 th high school reunion last July. Spoke briefly with my ex high school boyfriend who I hadn't seen since graduation. Seems he was married to his first wife for 5 yrs and divorced. He and his second wife got divorced two yrs ago after a 10 yr marriage.
He called me once after the reunion and we talked a few times by facebook. We both lived on the east coast and reunion was in midwest. He was actually building a house back in midwest and was retiring and moving back to our hometown, which he did around Christmas. He actually invited me to come visit him and see his house next time I went back there.
At the reunion there was one of the female classmates, who was one of the popular cheerleader girls in school. He also visited with her several times, but we were all talking to everyone. I was told at the reunion that she has been married three times and had been divorced for a while now.
I just recently found out these two went on a cruise together and are actually getting married this weekend. What a total shock! Didn't see that coming at all.
Does this kind of romance happen a lot and what are the chances this is going to last? I am not asking out of any jealousy or alterior motives. It just seems so strange to me.
Anybody else out there seen this happen?
I dated him for almost two yrs in high school and neither of us hung in this girls crowd. He had not had any contact with her since graduation until meeting at the July reunion.It really is none of my business, as he and I were just casual friends, anad I would never say anything to either of them. I'm just curious as to what others think. AAre there any statistics ? I just hate to see either of them get hurt again.

C
C
Originally Posted By: dbpb

Does this kind of romance happen a lot and what are the chances this is going to last? I am not asking out of any jealousy or alterior motives. It just seems so strange to me.
Anybody else out there seen this happen?

Sounds very typical.
Really part of a script.
Chances of it lasting I would say close to 10%.
But who knows.
This is her 4th marriage?
She did not do too well in her first 3, you think she has made the changes to FIX herself so this one will last?
First marriages 50% successes rate
2nd marriages 25% success rate
3rd marraiges 15% success rate.
Fourth I have no clue but my guess is above.

Me-70, D37,S36
A
A
I think looking back at people from your high school has the attractiveness of a do-over. You know you have some commonality from having gone to high school together. There are couples from my high school class who have gotten together after their previous marriages ended. My thoughts since the bomb dropped have flitted over past boyfriends and it has been tempting to look them up on FB. One of my boyfriends from high school was unhappily single at the last reunion I went to, and we drank and talked for hours. While my M wasn't perfect then, I had no intention of taking that any further. Next time, who knows. This is just my personal evidence that it's understandable and possibly common for HS reunions to spark new romances.

It does sound like you're a little jealous - what business is it of yours if they got together and what the statistics say about their chances? People live, they get hurt, they experience happiness. What are you trying to accomplish in examining their relationship? Possibly you were hoping to explore one with him? I don't mean to be mean, just honest, because that is exactly what I would have been feeling.

My current thinking on past boyfriends is, their in the past for a reason. The future holds new people, and with the wisdom gained from your experience, looking forward can offer wonderful opportunities. Much better than looking backward and trying to recapture the past.

Adinva 51, S20, S18
M24 total
6/15/11-12/1/12 From IDLY to H moving out
9/15/15-3/7/17 From negotiating SA to final D at age 50
5/8/17-now: New relationship with an old friend
__
Happiness is a warm puppy.
A
A
My neighbor went to his HS reunion and reconnected with an old girlfriend. He had been married probably 15 years and they had a 13 year old. In rapid sequence after the reunion he moved out, moved in with the old GF in a different state, and got divorced.

Since he moved out I haven't seen him at all, although I understand that the relationship with the old GF lasted about 4 months and he had to find his own place.

Accuray

Married 18, Together 20, Now Divorced
M: 48, W: 50, D: 18, S: 16, D: 12
Bomb Dropped (EA, D): 7/13/11
Start Reconcile: 8/15/11
Bomb Dropped (EA, D): 5/1/2014 (Divorced)
In a New Relationship: 3/2015
L
L
A colleague of mine several years ago had the same thing. She was married with 5 grown children, went to her HS reunion, started an online EA with an old BF, turned into PA and left her husband.

Last I heard, she and H were back together.

Me 57/H 58
M36 S 2.5yrs R 12/13

Let me give up the need to know why things happen as they do.
I will never know and constant wondering is constant suffering.
Caroline Myss
A
A
High school reunions and facebook reunions are definitely becoming more prevalent. My H's EA (possible PA) was started via FB with a woman he knew since childhood.

-Autumn

B
B
technology is making it much easier for people to have these EAs. that's just my opinion. you can keep in contact w/ anyone.. anywhere.. anytime of day.

Me:38.. H:33.
Two beautiful kids S:6 D:3
M:8.. together for 11.
Bomb dropped:10/17/11
Separated:11/07/11

Moderated by  Cadet, DnJ, job, Michele Weiner-Davis 

Link Copied to Clipboard